Start by marking “The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age, #1)

The Coming of Dragons (The Darkest Age #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  652 ratings  ·  54 reviews
Edmund, a king's son in disguise, and Elspeth, a sea captain's tomboy daughter, are the only two survivors of a terrible shipwreck. They just want to go home, but fate has other plans as they are drawn into the fight against an evil warlord terrorizing their homeland. Accompanied by a mysterious minstrel and haunted by magical powers they did not seek, Edmund and Elspeth j ...more
Published March 6th 2007 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Coming of Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Coming of Dragons

Golden Blood by Melissa PearlBeyond Oria Falls by Sheryl SealSilent Treatment by Jackie WilliamsCircle of Five by Jan RaymondTail of the Devil by Danielle DeVor
Best Unknown Young Adult Books
101st out of 747 books — 1,497 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniDragon Eaters by Janet E. MorrisSeraphina by Rachel HartmanFrostbite by Adrienne  WoodsEldest by Christopher Paolini
Best YA Dragon Books
46th out of 100 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Jessica
Interesting blend of fantasy and early-Christian English historical fiction. Very well researched, you really got a feel for the time period. Loved seeing the clash of religions: Christian, English paganism, and the even earlier legends of the old Norse gods. And the crystal sword was just freakin' cool.
H
I thought this was a good story, but I wasn't really engaged. Like, when I was reading it I enjoyed it, but I didn't have a hard time putting it down and I never really felt the need to pick it up. The characters felt a little flat to me, too--I never really felt what they were feeling or even sympathized. And the end--who the bad guy ended up being--was like a total slap in the face. Totally didn't see that coming, but I think that wasn't a good thing in this case--it was more like it was reall ...more
Susan
Elspeth is on her father’s ship headed for Gaul. They have a special passenger on board who hasn’t left his cabin for the entire voyage! Suddenly the worst storm Elspeth has ever seen hit the ship. The ship catches on fire and sinks. She manages to swim to a sea chest that is floating in the waves. She grabs the mysterious passenger and manages to pull him up on the chest as well. The passenger’s name is Edmund. A wizard has seen in a dream that they will wash up on shore and is there to meet th ...more
Aaron
Deborah
May 20, 2015 Deborah added it
Shelves: 2015, reviewed
The book follows Edmund and Elspeth, reluctant heroes both gifted with things they never asked for—or particularly wanted. Their gifts are interesting as is watching them learn to use them, but what really stands out is how grounded they are. Living in a harsher world than the one we know today, both are sensible and tough, yet still children—Elspeth is impulsive, Edmund easily led.

This fits well with the historical setting. Its attentiveness to social conventions and the realities of life centu
TeenFiction Teton County Library
TLC CALL#: YA LAKE

Chris’ rating: 4 stars
Edmund is a king’s son, being sent incognito away for safety in troubled times. Elspeth is the Sea Captain’s daughter who loves sailing with her father and his crew. They are on the same ship when the storm arrives…and maybe something more…for Edmund sees the dragon…and might just have watched through it’s savage eyes as it attacked the ship. Barely surviving Edmund and Elspeth discover unwanted abilities and gifts which pull them on an adventure neither w
A.a. Motylinski
The Bookseller describes it thus: "Expert storytelling, encompassing Norse legends, ancient prophecies and an age of dragons makes for an exhilarating read—I can't wait for book two."

This book is not a bad book by any means, but neither is it "expert storytelling." It was engaging, but I never felt inexplicably compelled to read on, and never felt the need to read it late into the night to find out what happened next.

I'll start with the plot: there is a plot there, certainly, but the vast major
Kevin
Fascinating first book in a series. Lake has created an interesting YA fantasy with a Medieval feel and tone and budding friendship between the two central characters (Elspeth and Edmund) who must rise to the challenge after finding themselves in the middle of an epic battle of good versus evil.

This book has plenty of action and interesting twists but it certainly leaves you wanting to read the next book as fast as possible.
Jorden Cookland
This is an abosolute MUST READ! if you ever need a distraction, the two main characters are so different they are unique yet they know each other like they've know each other their whole lives. They way the books reviels aspects of the story leaves the reader desperate to read more, and they twist that just pops out knowhere in the end, there are no words i love this Author!!
Jessica
This is a book for kids, I'd say age 8-11, and it's probably a good fit for both boys and girls of that age. It is fast paced, full of magic and some surprises. For grown ups like me, I thought it was a fun quick read, but it didn't move me in any meaningful ways....
Melmat
Feb 13, 2013 Melmat rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: won-t-read-again
Wow, I'm very dissapointed. The characters kept making the same mistakes again and again, and there was hardly any character development, plus not much a plot. And the endings kind of flat. For people who love literature... I wouldn't reccomend it.
Katie
It is NOT about Stonehenge - even though it appears on the cover. Older fiction. Definately for this age group.

About 2 children in Saxon times - Edmund, a Prince and Elspeth a daughter of a captain. Shipwrecked together in Cornwall and discover that they have superpowers. Edmund can see through other people's eyes and Elspeth has a crystal sword that suddenly appears on her hand.

No pictures to support the text. Mythical, magical Norse (especially at the end) topics. Lots of adventure.

Might be su
Angela
I enjoyed this book when Elspeth was on a jurney with a powerful sord that could destory anything. Tords the end of the story it was really exiting of how the dragon was sommond. Another thing i enjoyed is that Edmund helped Elspeth on her jurney, espeliaty when she was caputred. It was very thrilling to find out what would happen next. I liked how the people in the vilage were hunting Elspeth and Edmund for not giving there money back to the person of the cup game. My last thing that i enjoyed ...more
Harley
I had some serious issues with this book. For about half the book it seemed as if there was no plot whatsoever, if felt as if I had to search for it before it was truly revealed. The two point of view were very similar to were it got confusing on who was speaking. Even though at the beginning of the book we were thrown right into the action, which typically I like, it felt to rushed and out of place. I sat there wondering what in the world was going on! While I don't like to say that a book is b ...more
Lily
Interesting story! I love the fantasy elements this book has, there’s plenty of magic, battle scenes, magical swords and scary villains that should be avoided at all costs! There’s a LOT of action too, even on the first page of chapter 1 where a dragon is attacking a ship and the main characters struggle for their lives!

I grew to like the characters as the story went on. I LOVED how both Elspeth and Edmund have these unwanted gifts and they have to run from countless of dangers because of them.
Anna
A lovely transition book for older children - I'd say 8-11 yr olds. If you have a child hooked on Beastquest and Cressida Cowell but ready to move on to more epic/historical style fantasy this is a great little book. The style is a little impersonal so it might appeal to boys more than girls: it is essentially a quest novel - the first of a trilogy with a nice cliffhanger ending.

Set in medieval England, Elspeth the shipmasters' daughter, survives a shipwreck by hanging onto a mysterious oaken c
Becky
This book was just OK for me. The two main characters, Edmund & Elspeth, were OK but not very deep. I liked Edmund better of the two and felt that he was more consistent. Elspeth's character just seemed wishy washy at times. Sometimes she just followed orders & sometimes she rebelled. I guess I just felt that the kids made rash decisions just to keep the plot moving instead of it feeling like a natural thing for their characters to do. It just felt too forced.

The kids' powers were intere
Dominika Kaníková
After seeing the front page i was expecting more of a childish story "DD with dragons but i was surprised. The story was well written as i had expected it to be for a fantasy book and im also looking forward to read the second one. ...more
Lia
This was a fantastic fantasy book. Real action packed adventure from start to finish (very literally) and many twists and turns and close scrapes in the story to continually make you want to read more. Can't wait to get into the next part of the story (no spoilers) because the story is really hotting up. However one thing that caught my attention was on page 156, line 4, there had been a name mistake implying that Elspeth had in fact been in two places at once, I think A.J. Lake meant Edward, no ...more
Tanya M Henderson
Could not put this book down and I wanted to kill my daughter for introducing me to a series before it was completely written. This was a truly great read.
Brandon
Good story with twists and turns. Ends quickly and leave the read wanting to continue on to the next book.
Patrick
Fun, easy story. It's definitely written for a slightly younger audience, but I liked the characters and plot. Fun little young-ones-destined-to-gain-power-and-overthrow-evil story. There are a couple of interesting things with the boy's power and the "personality" of the girl's sword that are intriguing. I also liked her decision about what to do with the bad guy, and how the ending threw in a large twist to interrupt the celebration of victory. I'll be reading the sequel.
Shane
This book would probably be best for young people who don't necessarily have a joy for reading yet. It's fast enough paced to keep the attention of someone not into reading. Seems like the kind of book that could help someone grow into it.

If you're a more "advanced" reader, you may find this book lacking a bit. I have an early edition of this title that has just enough editing errors to make it irritating.
Jessica
This was in Junior Fiction but I couldn't help but picking it up. The cover was amazing! Although it was a little easy for me, it was fast paced and action packed. I couldn't connect with the characters as easily because they were only 11 years old... However, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it if you wanted a good, fast paced, short read.
Ida
Isabella
Maybe I just haven't read the right things, but I've never read anything like this before. It's short, clear, and I like almost everything in it; the only reason it has 4 stars instead of 5 is because I didn't really love anything in it.

It was definitely worth reading. I'd reccomend it to any fantasy reader who isn't set on trends.
Terry
Ho hum. Some clever ideas executed with the finesse of Soviet urban planners. The best fantasy has great characters, with compelling relationships and intriguing idiosyncrasies. This story is cardboard: there's a girl, a boy, an old man/teacher, an evil villain, and zero character between them. Don't care enough to read the next volumes.
Dragon
The first time I read this book a few years ago, I literally could not put it down. My family got mad at me several times because I had my nose in this book the whole few hours it took me to finish it, even when I was walking to go get something. I think the characters were great, and I love Edmund and Elspeth's powers.
Jonathan Soriano
Nov 09, 2007 Jonathan Soriano rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves dragons or loves myths.
This book interested me because in a way it told me that people are born with special talents and that sometimes you might not like the talent you have. it also told me that we have to except the gift god gave us and we have to learn to live with it. this book is confusing at first but its good towards the end.
  • Tree Girl
  • The Crowfield Demon (Crowfield Abbey, #2)
  • The Dragon of Lonely Island
  • Tomorrow's Magic (New Magic, #1)
  • The Gorgon's Gaze (The Companions Quartet, #2)
  • The Prophecy
  • Ivy's Ever After
  • Dragon Moon (Dragon Keeper, #3)
  • Ferno The Fire Dragon (Beast Quest, #1)
  • The Dragon in the Sock Drawer (Dragon Keepers, #1)
  • The Secret Kingdom (Chronicles of the Red King, #1)
  • Dragon's Egg
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • The End of Time (The Books of Umber, #3)
  • The First Dragon (The Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica, #7)
  • Hawksmaid: The Untold Story of Robin Hood and Maid Marian
  • Dark Moon (Firebringer, #2)
  • The Giant-Slayer

The Darkest Age (3 books)
  • The Book of the Sword (The Darkest Age, #2)
  • The Circle of Stone (The Darkest Age, #3)
The Book of the Sword (The Darkest Age, #2) The Circle of Stone (The Darkest Age, #3)