Start by marking “Valley of the Lost (Constable Molly Smith #2)” as Want to Read:
Valley of the Lost (Constable Molly Smith #2)

Valley of the Lost (Constable Molly Smith #2)

3.56  ·  Rating Details  ·  271 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews

In the bucolic mountain town of Trafalgar, British Columbia, a young woman is found dead of a heroin overdose, her baby lying at her side. While this should be an open-and-shut drug case, restraint marks on the victim suggest that the death might not have been completely accidental.
As the investigation into the young womanas death and life grows, the case becomes increasin

MP3 CD, 1 page
Published February 1st 2009 by Blackstone Audiobooks

To ask other readers questions about Valley of the Lost, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valley of the Lost

John Kenny
Jul 07, 2014 John Kenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molly Smith is a rookie cop in her old home town of Trafalgar, British Columbia. She has high ambitions, emotional baggage that stretches back to high school, and aging tree hugger parents who disapprove of Molly’s career choice. Molly’s mentor, John Winters, is a capable big city cop who has issues of his own. He’s retreated to the small town of Trafalgar to make a new start. He’s the gruff, but lovable sort of detective who cares more about his work than he probably should.

Molly’s mother, Luck
Tina Siegel
Jul 22, 2014 Tina Siegel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Better than the other books I've read in this series (so far). The villains are still ridiculously heavy-handed, and I never believe anything bad is going to happen (because it doesn't). But Delany does inject some day-to-day life stuff - like aging, parent-child conflict, trying to make time for sex (or just your partner) - that adds some nice texture and realism to the book.

Oh! And Christa drove me crazy with her blaming Molly. She's a big girl - she should have filed for a restraining order
Philip
Feb 04, 2016 Philip rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book much more than book 1 of this series but it still has problems that prevent me from rating any higher than 3 stars. I had a better liking for John Winters in this book than in the first one but I still don't like Molly Smith too much and it becomes difficult to like a book too much when you don't like one of the MCs though I do like Lucky very much. Although this is billed as a Molly Smith mystery Molly really plays a small role in the story and this book is more of a John Wint ...more
Melissa
Book #2 in the Constable Molly Smith series finds Molly recovered just a few months after the events in the first story ended. You do not need to read the 1st book, most of the background information on both Molly and her boss John Winters is explained again in this book. I enjoy the characters and the thought of small town life...especially since the novel is set during the summer and talking about a heatwave while I'm living under a blanket of snow. Easy read...enjoyed the book in a few hours. ...more
Cathy Cole
Jan 12, 2013 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First Line: The setting sun had slipped behind the mountains, and in the bottom of the valley, long ago carved out of ancient rock by the swift-moving river, the summer's night was hot and close.

When Lucky Smith hears a baby cry off in the trees, she goes to see what's wrong. She finds a scared and hungry infant-- and the body of his mother lying close by. Sergeant John Winters of the Trafalgar, British Columbia, police force begins his investigation with the help of Lucky's daughter, Probationa
Eva
Oct 04, 2010 Eva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The is the second book featuring the adventures of Moonlight, aka Molly, Smith, probationary constable of the Trafalgar, BC police force. Her mother hears a baby cry late one night and discovers a baby boy near the body of his dead mother. The mother is known only as Ashley, no last name, and no one knows where she came from. Restraint marks on her arms and legs point to foul play.

Molly's mother, Lucky, takes the baby in during the investigation and quickly runs afoul of a bossy social worker.
Val
Nov 04, 2015 Val rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Constable Molly Smith and Sergeant John Winters return in the second British Columbia mystery series. This one is clever. The plot has a few good twists and turns that will keep you guessing. Molly's hippy dippy mom, Lucky, takes custody of a baby found by his dead mom. Only she's not his mom and nobody seems to know who she really is. Or who he is.
Kathleen Hagen
Valley of the Lost, by Vicki Delany, b-plus, Narrated by Carrington MacDuffie, Produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

be an open-and-shut drug case, restraint marks on the victim suggest that the death might not have been completely accidental.Constable Molly Smith and
Sergeant John Winters know little more than the dead wom
Joshua
Mar 16, 2015 Joshua rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
The follow up to Secrets of the Glacier finds Molly once again investigating a mysterious death with Detective John Winters. This time the victim is a Jane Doe and she's left a baby boy behind. Fun, quick, mystery that leaves the reader guessing for a time then turns into a mild thriller at the end.
Debbie
Oct 20, 2009 Debbie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am reading this for an assignment on Pacific Northwest settings. This is set in S-E British Columbia in a small resort time with a residual of hippies. The main character is ostensibly a new cop called Molly Smith (named Moonlight by her hippie mother)but an older cop, experienced cop, new to the area and Molly's sometime mentor is equally evident. The case involves a young woman found dead of a drug overdose and a young baby found next to her body. Molly's mother is annoying as all get out, b ...more
Lynda
Feb 09, 2015 Lynda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book in the Constable Molly Smith mysteries, it's not a great book, but a fun quick read and I really like the descriptions of small town Kootenay life in the imaginary town of Trafalgar BC.
Kyla Squires
Yeah, I'm enjoying this series. Looking forward to seeing how Molly grows. For anyone looking for continuous small-town murder mysteries, this should do the trick.
Francine
Jun 13, 2013 Francine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Only one month and not quite recovered from her adventure of book one, Cst Molly Smith is facing another suspicious death in Trafalgar, BC. Lucky, her mother, found a baby in the woods besides a young woman body and brings him home until the family is found. Nothing is known about Ashley, the young woman and rapidly enough, Sgt John Winters, Molly's part-time mentor suspects murder. Molly found herself at the centre of the storm once again. I really like this book and I found that Molly is more ...more
Sheila
Apr 17, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sounds like this author has the same main character, a young police woman, Molly Smith as in several of her books. This is the first one I had read and I will definitely look for more books written by her. The police woman is still grieving over her fiancee who was killed a year or so ago. The story takes place in a fictitious town in the Kootenays of B. C. Molly's mother, Lucky discovers a small baby in the woods near the Women's Center where she volunteers. Close by is the body of her mother. ...more
Donna
Dec 08, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, canadian, 2013, pulse
Another great read. I love how the story ambles along, more character than action driven, then suddenly the pace changes and I can't turn the pages fast enough. The main characters, Molly, Winters, and Lucky are proving to be more complex than initially shown, as are their relationships. In fact, as all the characters are more fleshed-out, Trafalgar is becoming a very realistic setting.

I rarely read more than two books in a series one after the other, but I've become so engaged with this one th
Susan
Mar 27, 2013 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Molly Smith is a young probationary constable in Trafalgar, British Columbia – a small town that seems still set in the ambiance of the 1960’s. Molly’s mother, who is a diehard remnant of that era (Molly’s real name is Moonshine) finds a baby boy next to the body of a woman who died of a drug overdose. Sergeant John Winters is assigned to investigate and, although Molly is too junior to be a detective, he finds her connections in the community invaluable. Mollie has great potential as a heroine ...more
Val Sanford
Molly Smith is back in action, with her mother, Lucky in the center of the storm. We meet more of the Trafalger, B.C. population and at least one Mounty is taking an interest in Moonlight Legolas Smith. I enjoyed this book as much as the first Molly Smith; the characters are growing on me as they knit scarves and shovel snow in their small mountain town, unsettled by drugs and another murder. Constable Smith is paired with Winters and the big-city cop and rookie are learning to get a long. Molly ...more
Deborah Coates
This is the second book in the Molly Smith/John Winters mystery series. It's set in the small-ish fictional town of Trafalgar in Canada (I say small-ish, because although it's described as small, it has a 20-constable police force which, around here would be big-ish).

I like the characters, the setting and the writing in these books. The mystery is nothing special and it suffers--as the first book did--from escalating too much at the end, but the characters and their lives carry it.

Good book for
Teddi
Jul 07, 2015 Teddi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
Good enough story. Im just not sure I love ke the main character very much. She's very self centered
Susan
Feb 06, 2009 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-canada
When unreformed radical Lucky Smith finds a dead woman and a live baby, she decides to act as Miller's foster parent until his family can be identified. But the police, including her daughter Constable Molly (named Moonlight by her parents) and the detective John Winter, can find little information on Ashley and Miller. Meanwhile, a social worker is trying to wrest the baby from Lucky's loving care. Winter suspects that Ashley was murdered. Molly tries to balance her love for her unorthodox pare ...more
Midori
Aug 28, 2012 Midori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
I've "read" this book through audio-book. This is my first experience of listening to audio-book and also by this author. I really enjoyed it. The narrator was great implying different characters in the story. I like the setting - BC Interior and the story and the characters are well written. I want to try another story by Vicki Delany.
Leonid Zebrovnik
Feb 12, 2013 Leonid Zebrovnik rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Miss Lilly, the cat, is no longer with us but her wonderful cafe is still in Picton. The attached bookstore, 'Books & Company' is one of the best anywhere. That is where I bought this book which I purchased because I was curious as the author lives in the area. I thought it was very good & I'm madly in love with Moonlight.
Chris Conley
Oct 30, 2013 Chris Conley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrific series that I stumbled upon by chance. Serendipitous indeed. This is the second in the series and I am committed to reading them all. The characters are wonderfully complex and fascinating. Each story has kept me on my toes.
Jan
Jun 25, 2014 Jan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this earlier installment of a series I love. Some short novels leave me wishing for more, but these are satisfying and sufficiently engaging as stand alones...but even better once you get to know the characters & setting.
CLM
Perhaps because I started reading book 2 in this series instead of book 1, I had a hard time getting into the series. It took until the second half of the book before I cared about Molly, her mother Lucky, and the baby they had rescued.
MJ
Aug 02, 2011 MJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one out of order but still enjoyed it. Like books by Rita Mae Brown one comes to know the characters that appear from one book to another. In this one a squalling baby is found next to a dead woman.
Samuel
Aug 27, 2013 Samuel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
She's going the right direction in the second volume in the series, but the characters are still pretty stereotyped. I like the setting and general premise though, but wonder how one keeps murder going in a small town.
Sherry
Apr 06, 2013 Sherry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on cd's. Great story and reader. The pace and number of characters is perfect for an audio book. I "read" the first book in the series and enjoy the character development through the series.
Veronica
This was a light read yet with an interesting plot that kept you intrigued. The characters were all good with the potential for more growth in the next novels. Another good Canadian mystery.
Vicki
Nov 15, 2010 Vicki rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Oh man, this book was horrible. There were so many little details that didn't make sense. I think the author took every idea she ever had for a book and wrote Valley of the Lost.
  • A Door in the River (Hazel Micallef Mystery #3)
  • Fixed in Blood (Mort Grant #4)
  • Desert Drop (Las Vegas Mystery)
  • The Alpine Uproar (Emma Lord Mystery, #21)
  • Kodiak Chained (Sentinels #5)
  • River of Shadows
  • Funeral Music
  • The Ming and I (Den of Antiquity, #3)
  • Asylum: A Mystery (Martine LeDuc #1)
  • Wanting Sheila Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #25)
  • Murder on the Bride's Side (An Elizabeth Parker Mystery, #2)
  • The Moai Murders (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #9)
  • The Selkie (Orkney Selkies, #1)
  • Death Qualified - A Mystery of Chaos (Barbara Holloway #1)
  • The Tale of Oat Cake Crag (The Cottage Tales of Beatrix Potter, #7)
  • White Heat (Edie Kiglatuk Mystery, #1)
  • Underdog (Melanie Travis, #2)
  • Old World Murder (A Chloe Ellefson Mystery #1)
“It’s a crime not to read Delany,” so says the London Free Press.

Vicki Delany is one of Canada’s most varied and prolific crime writers. Her popular Constable Molly Smith series (including In the Shadow of the Glacier and Among the Departed) have been optioned for TV by Brightlight Pictures.

She writes standalone novels of modern gothic suspense such as Burden of Memory and More than Sorrow, as w
More about Vicki Delany...

Constable Molly Smith (8 books)
  • In the Shadow of the Glacier (Constable Molly Smith #1)
  • Winter of Secrets (Constable Molly Smith #3)
  • Negative Image (Constable Molly Smith #4)
  • Among the Departed (Constable Molly Smith #5)
  • A Cold White Sun (Constable Molly Smith #6)
  • Under Cold Stone (Constable Molly Smith #7)
  • Unreasonable Doubt (Constable Molly Smith #8)