Start by marking “Last Light over Carolina” as Want to Read:
Last Light over Carolina

Last Light over Carolina

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,661 Ratings  ·  167 Reviews
Last Light Over Carolina

Every woman in the sultry South Carolina low country knows the unspoken fear that clutches the heart every time her man sets out to sea. Now, that fear has become a terrible reality for Carolina Morrison. Her husband, shrimp boat captain Bud Morrison, is lost and alone somewhere in the vast Atlantic fishing grounds, with a storm gathering and last
Published July 14th 2009 by Pocket Books (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Last Light over Carolina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Last Light over Carolina

Jennifer Defoy
After reading the description I thought this book would be a lot like The Perfect Storm. I was wrong. It was a great story and a truly touching and emotional book.

While the story's main plot revolves around Bud and the perilous situation he is in there is so much more to this one. As Bud and Carolina go through their day they recall memories from their past. Not all of them are good, but they all show how life can take it's toll on a marriage. How just loving someone may not always be enough an
Tattered Cover Book Store
Jackie says:

Pamela
There are night-and-day differences between love stories and romance novels. A Love story may stem from physical attraction, but it builds upon relational foundations of faith, hope, trust, integrity, commitment, and communication with ever increasing maturity and depth. Whereas a romance novel sparks hot-and-heavy with physical attraction (its primary focus: physical conquest coupling) and pays little attention to character depth or foundational import or believability.

To each their own. There
Peggy
Dec 28, 2011 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book about the Morrison family and their tiny town, McClellan, South Carolina. Progress is coming to the town, things are changing. Not many years ago, their were many shrimp boats tied up to the dock, but now only the diehard, traditional families still shrimp.

The Morrisons, Bud and Carolina, their daughter, Lizzie and her son live together and struggle to make a living. Bud has his shrimp boat, their daughter works at a local diner and Carolina runs the house. Bud works har
Cheryl
Aug 04, 2009 Cheryl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really, really loved this book. Maybe it was because I read it shortly after finishing "The Angel's Game", which I found to be difficult and tedious, but this quick and easy read appealed to me. I felt a close kinship with the 50-something main characters, and truly appreciated the perspective on what it takes to keep a marriage of over 30 years going strong. More than anything, I appreciated the thought that marriages can take some pretty hard knocks and still survive. Add to all of this a fa ...more
Mary Thomas
Jul 09, 2010 Mary Thomas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast, easy read. Interesting was the focus of lives of the two main people, perspectives were from each of them, reviewing current as well as past events in thier lives.

The book moved from current to past and was an interesting perspective of long married people and how lives come together, drift apart and sometimes, what it takes to "put it back together".

Low country, as usual is interesting and evokes sights, sounds and smells of the area. A good summer read!

Barry Bridges
Feb 19, 2012 Barry Bridges rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well done, solid storytelling. The reader can feel the weight of history in each of the character's actions. I doubt the shrimping industry is as glamorous as Bud makes it out to be, but it is an honorable profession of hard working people, dedicated to feeding us pleasurable meals. It is nice to see a glimpse into the life and better appreciate the sacrifice made for us consumers.
Nely
Jul 14, 2009 Nely rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-review
Bud and Carolina Morrison have been married for well over 30 years. They reside in the small coastal town of McClellanville, South Carolina where Bud captains the Miss Carolina - his shrimping boat. Although being a shrimper is not the easiest of lives (long, hard-working days) - it is something that he would not give up for the world. Like any marriage - Bud and Carolina’s has not been an easy one they have definitely had their share of bumpy roads, but they have found a way to overcome these o ...more
Hattie
Aug 08, 2010 Hattie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Monday, July 20, 2009
Last Light Over Carolina by Mary Alice Monroe

"Last Light Over Carolina" by Mary Alice Monroe is a wonderful family saga. This family saga takes place in South Carolina in a coastal town named McClellan. Carolina is Bud's wife. Bud is a shrimper. Carolina and Bud love one another very much. To show it Bud named his second boat Carolina. I had the chance to meet the whole family: There is Lizzy, their daughter. Their son-in-law, Josh, and grandchild, Will. To make their world
Sandy
Jan 15, 2015 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern-fiction
Mary Alice Monroe succeeded in plopping me down right in the middle of the South Carolina Low Country and its shrimpers. The structure of the story hangs on one fateful day in the life of shrimper Bud Morrison. He makes the decision to head out on his own after his friend and deckhand doesn't show up in the morning. As resulting events progress, the story of a marriage, a town and an industry in trouble emerges.

It took a while for the characters to work their way into my literary heart but as t
Jackie
This new novel by the author of Time Is A River takes us to the coast of South Carolina and into the world of the shrimping industry, hit hard by the current economy and imports of foreign shrimp to American markets. It's the story of Bud and Carolina, whose decades of marriage is on shaky ground. It's also the story of a down on its luck town who, when emergency strikes, pulls together and takes care of its own while forgetting all the rivalries and resentments and worries that generally plague ...more
Chris
Aug 30, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow! That was a great book and so different from others I have read. I learned a lot about "Shrimpers" and the shrimping culture. What a rough life, but I appreciate, praise & applaud them for all their hard work that produces such a delicious delicacy for the rest of us.

In addition to the shrimping lesson I learned...I loved the relationship story Mary Alice told in this novel about Bud and Carolina...amazing!
Allison
I couldn't get in to this book at all, and I came to really dislike the character of Bud. He seemed like such an ass in this book, I couldn't even feel sorry for him. It takes place in one day, with Bud and Carolina going back and forth between the present day and their memories from the past, it was all really boring.
Margaret
Oct 22, 2009 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have loved all of this author's book. Her characters are so well developed and her skill in bringing the South to life lets you smell the saltwater. The book takes in one day of the life of Bud and Carolina a couple whose 30 year marriage is floundering. Flashbacks tell how they got to this sad state. A story of love and forgiveness.
Gail
Apr 08, 2011 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my introduction to MAM and I say WOW! I love the Low Country of SC and want to move there. This story took me there with sound and smell and everything! I felt like I knew the characters as well as the place. Ms. Monroe is a master storyteller. I can't wait for more.
Eileen
Apr 10, 2010 Eileen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Found this title by following the "Read Books in Your Email" link on my library's website: http://www.noblenet.org/lynn. I enjoyed the excerpts so I checked the book out. It was an enjoyable read.
Virginia Clayton
Enjoyed reading author's novel regarding lowcountry. I highly recommend this one.
Barb
Jun 07, 2016 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is just another great book by Mary Alice Monroe.
Debbie
May 06, 2016 Debbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just love her books!!
Patty
Apr 04, 2016 Patty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Ehhhhh ... this was a little cheesy. And gross.
Judy
Nov 19, 2016 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Life is precious. Love at first sight is special. This book teaches you about shrimping but, most of all, it teaches you about the interaction of people, the love and respect one has for the other or lack thereof due to conditions at hand.

I was pulled into the book by the shrimper who saw the woman of his dreams and made her his wife. I will pulled into the book by the woman in his life who loved the shrimper but became sad when the shrimper was out for months at a time. Missing the love of one
Ann Boytim
Carolina Morrison us married to a shrimp boat captain and they live in South Carolina low country. Times are hard for the fishermen and this couple's relationship is on the rocks. Carolina is tired of spending a lot of time by herself when he husband works long hours on his boat, their daughter who is now divorced is living with them along with her son. Hard times and hard choices force this couple to reevaluate their relationship.
Kathie Webber
Dec 07, 2016 Kathie Webber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was very thought prevoking. Was wonderfully written and a joy to read!
Mary Sewell
I liked it very much. It was a little slow starting, and I was uncomfortable with the jumping back and forth , timewise, but this was necessary to the story. After I got farther along, it got very hard to put down, and I stayed up until 2:00 am reading one night. Just finished it today.
Laurel-Rain
Jan 22, 2013 Laurel-Rain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the lowcountry of South Carolina, in a small village by the sea, a shrimper's life is one of exhaustion, long hours, and danger. And for the wives on shore, the loneliness and separations tear away at the fabric of their marriages.

Carolina and Bud Morrison have loved each other for many years, and the ebb and flow of their life has worn them down. But on this one day in September 2008, with the economic strains seemingly threatening them at every turn, Bud makes a decision that, by day's end,
Amy
When you read a Mary Alice Monroe book, be prepared to learn something. She'll spin a tale, filled with complex, but realistic characters, in a beautiful setting, but she'll also have some element of the tale that will probably help educate you a bit more about some aspect of life connected with her story. Since most of her books are set in my beloved lowcountry, I'm happy to expand my knowledge of the area and learn more about our lowcountry culture.

Last Light over Carolina is set just up the r
Toni
Aug 28, 2009 Toni rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 pehaps. I have read all of Mary ALice Monroe's books and thoroughly enjoyed them. I felt this somehow missed. It takes place in the Lowcountry, as do all of her works and which I enjoy. It tells the story of shrimpers in South Carolina and how their livelihood has been challenged by the dumping of foreign shrimp into the marketplace (and fuel prices, etc)If you ever visit this area and talk to the locals, this has been a devestating issue and has cost the loss of many businesses that have pa ...more
Karen
Sep 06, 2016 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great novel! There were a few story-lines going on that all tied together perfectly. The first was about the shrimping industry in the Low Country and how it has declined slowly over the years. I always like to learn about something new and learning about the shrimping industry opened my eyes and it is heartbreaking to know. The second main story-line was about marriage--a REAL look at marriage-- all the twists and turns-- all the 'everyday' realities-- all of the forgiveness and pati ...more
Leslie
Jul 08, 2016 Leslie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this while sitting on the lowcountry beach of Seabrook Island where every morning and night I watch the shrimp boats ride out and back in twice a day. I know it costs more but it is with every penny to buy fresh local shrimp. You haven't had the best shrimp until you taste the sweet shrimp off of South Carolina's coast!
I will be honest when this book began with memories/flash backs frequently, I was so disappointed as it appeared this would be a story told from the past and present back a
Corinne
Jul 18, 2014 Corinne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good story from Mary Alice Monroe! The shrimping industry is such a vital business in the Carolinas and this story delves into the men and women whose lives are directly involved with shrimping. So much information is given that I at times was overwhelmed. However, it was never to the point that it was technical, just woven into the story that I found it completely interesting and was amazed as to how much time and effort is put into catching shrimp. Also how dangerous this can be.
The ch
  • Return to Sullivan's Island (Lowcountry Tales, #6)
  • Pieces of the Heart
  • Between the Tides
  • A Peach of a Pair
  • The Promised World
  • Magnolia Wednesdays
  • Whistlin' Dixie in a Nor'easter (Dixie, #1)
  • Taking Lottie Home
New York Times bestselling author Mary Alice Monroe found her true calling in environmental fiction when she moved to coastal South Carolina. Already a successful author, she was captivated by the beauty and fragility of her new home. Her experiences living in the midst of a habitat that was quickly changing gave her a strong and important focus for her books.

Mary Alice Monroe writes richly textur
More about Mary Alice Monroe...