In the Bed of a Duke

In the Bed of a Duke (Cameron Sisters #3)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  865 ratings  ·  44 reviews
The distressed traveler Charlotte Cameron encounters on a rainy Scottish night is absolutely the worst man she could have invited into her carriage! It is Phillip Maddox, the reprehensible Duke of Colster, who brought the full weight of the ton's fury down upon her -- simply because Charlotte encouraged her sister not to wed the powerful peer. And now the seductive devil r...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 381 pages
Published August 1st 2006 by Wheeler Publishing (first published April 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about In the Bed of a Duke, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Bed of a Duke

Nira
A wonderful story. I really enjoyed it. It was refreshing to meet a pair of twins that were so unlike each other. That was different, original. Even the heroine wasn't annoying as they usually turn out to be. Charlotte was strong and did not cry or make a fuss at every single trifle. In fact, she actually took control of dire situations more than once. If I had any complaint it would be that they fell in love all too quickly for my tastes. There wasn't much development involved, especially consi...more
steph
So you know those books you've already read, that you've forgotten you've read until you are about 1/3 or halfway through the actual book and you're sitting there thinking, "this seems so familiar" but it takes you another page or two to realize OHMYGOD. I'VE READ THIS ALREADY?

Yes. This book was it. I like Cathy Maxwell, I really do but for the second time, this book didn't grab my attention (Hence the reason it took me all the way up until the fight in the middle to realize I have read it befor...more
Lady Darcie
Jan 31, 2011 Lady Darcie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: Cameron Sisters #1
Charlotte Cameron is an American trying to fit into London. After helping her sister Miranda jilt the Duke of Colster for husband Charlotte has been putting up with insane things and she isn't going to let the Duke of Colster treat her family the way he has anymore. Set out on to scotland to met the Dukes enemy Charlotte hopes that this man will be able to help her with her little problem little does she know the Duke is also on his way to Scotland to meet the same person.
Phillip Maddox, the Duk...more
Mornie
Love it! Love it! Great author! My favorite book of hers. Love the main characters! In 1807 London, Duke Phillip Maddox blames Charlotte Cameron for her sister, his fiancée, jilting him at their betrothal ball. However, he learns that his older twin brother Justin, who died in childbirth, actually is alive. He was kidnapped by Laird MacKenna and was raised in the Highlands. Philip needs to know the truth.------ Charlotte travels by coach in a storm to see MacKenna who she met when he introduced...more
Lover of Romance
Charlotte Cameron, heads up to Scotland, to visit Laird McKenna, whom if she marries him is a way to repair the damage done to her family by letting her sister marry the man that she loved. After her and her sisters came to England, she convinced her sister (whom after being practically engaged to a peer) to marry a man she had loved for many years. So Charlotte, knowing that she and her sisters might be shunned from society, decided that the happiness of her sister was more important. Now trave...more
Isis FG
Kesha
Trudy Miner
American Charlotte Cameron and the Duke of Colster are enemies after she got her sister to publicly jilt him at a ball. Now Charlotte has accepted an invitation to the Scottish Highlands because she's considered bad Ton and not accepted anywhere. On the way there, a terrible storm struck and her carriage was almost run off road. The carriage stopped to pick up a distressed passenger and when he climbed inside, he turned out to be no other than Phillip Maddox, Duke of Closter! He had received a m...more
Eskimo Princess Jenkins
Very well written story.
Started out kinda slow, but the more you read the more you get sucked into the story.
Phillip starts out in the story as an a$$, but he changes a little. He is still arrogant, but not as much as an a$$.
Charlotte, she has some serious issues. She wants to fit in with the ton, but she has really no clue about going about it. She disregards most of the "rules" of the ton. Then she tries to side with someone who she has a common enemy with and that all goes to hell.
Justin/Tavi...more
Elis Madison
In the first book in this series, (don't read this if you haven't read the first book) (view spoiler) As a result, the two remaining Cameron sisters, not to mention Miranda's lover's business partner, are shunned. They're all more or less ruined by the vindictive bastid.

Char has decided to bite the bullet and accept the advances of a Scottish laird who hates Colster,...more
Kyraryker
Quite the beginning with Charlotte and Phillip meeting on the road to Scotland; a lot of intensity between these two characters right off the bat.
I found myself secretly cheering on Charlotte's lack of "proper" manners toward Phillip the Duke (the American in me) .
Oh yes Charlotte does my American heart proud when the MacKenna's want to attack Phillip. Charlotte takes one man out, and helps shoot another while she calmly tells Phillip to run "and this time don't diddle around" hahaha
Crrraaazzzy...more
Lori T-m
This book was good, but it had a lot of filler and then it [the filler] was never resolved. The disappointment for me was that the end was rushed and abrupt. It ended good (a feel-good ending to the romance part between the duke and the lady) but all of the filler (a feud between two lands and a feud between two brothers who just recently found out they were brothers, and so on..) just fell to the wayside. The feuds took up so much in the book that I found myself wanting to see how THAT part end...more
Ber
Could have done with two more chapters and an epilogue. We have literally no idea what happens to anyone of them
Amanda
This is a DNF. I didn't like the lack of build between the hero and heroine before they hopped into the sack. It was too soon in their relationship, and also, the characters weren't entering into an equal relationship. There were overtones of power and control, and not the consensual kind that are prevalent in other romances. I left off when there is a kidnapping brewing, and well, I don't really care what happens to the characters in this book or how the kidnappers are foiled. Therefore, it is...more
Lou
I quite enjoyed that - I'm in the mood for undemanding braincandy, and that's pretty much what I got. It wasn't the longest book, and I think I'd have liked to see some more interaction between the twins, and a longer build up to the romance (!) but the chemistry between the characters was pretty good. I suppose there's more of the twins getting to know each other in the rest of the series, but I'm not so interested that I'll track them down.
Diane
This one is action packed from cover to cover! Loved it!
Amber
I've discovered that in romance, and historical romance in particular, there's a thin line between seduction and HOLY FUCK DUDE behaviour. The hero in this story leapt that hurdle and then the next one of "do you really have be THAT much of a dumbass?" and then the last hurdle of the "I guess since you're such an douchebag you'll have to make a GRAND GESTURE." The writing was good though, so I think I'll read more by her.
Nicole
I read this out of sequence so not as enjoyable as if I hadn't read the last book already. Based on her previos novels, I was also expecting a little bit more from this storyline. There was so much build up in the first story to the characters extreme dislike for each other that I was expecting a lot of drama. And, I was left disappointed. Instead, they were in each other's arms within the first chapter.
Syahira Sharif
Very unmemorable and very disappointing.
April
What a great story! I laughed and cried many times! Such wonderful writing and really engaging characters!! I love this authors work!!

My favorite book in the series!! Two characters that journey from hate to love!! I adore the extra intrigue as well. It serves up a nice chunk of steam as well!

I am currently on a Regency kick and this one was terrific!!
Brittany
This was a quick read. It was just okay for me. The main characters fell into bed with each other way to fast. It all seemed very superficial to me there relationship just lacked substance. I will be interested to see how Justin turns out. Other than that it was very much your typical historical nothing really special about it.
penelopewanders
Begins in London 1807, continues to Scotland. A woman convinces her younger sister to jilt the duke and then finds herself caught up and falling in love with this "enemy"... Fun story, seems to be part of a series but not a problem.
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

A good, but not fantastic historical romance novel. Fast paced, had some nice action sequences, and the romance--while a bit quick to happen, in my opinion--was sweet and nicely done.
Arriane
I'm a bit disappointed with the ending, I was hoping for some epilouge to show what the Cameron Sisters says about the lovers. But then, I just have to find out by reading the next books. :)
Tegs
This book was a pleasure. The heroine is sassy and the hero has so much depth to him! I can't wait for the next story in the series featuring the brother!
Shyloh
This book started off really well, but dragged on and went downhill from there. Most of it was predictable and the dialog was very overdone in places.
Victoria (nocturnalintimacy)
2.5 stars. I liked the characters, but the romance was so tidy it was ridiculous. I like mindless, cotton-candy reads, but I can only take so much.
Hael Villareal
The only downer in this book is that it seems like Phillip and Charlotte's love story was too fast paced. But other than that, it was cute. ♥
Rachel
Very funny book where Catherine falls for the very man she was determined not to like. I didn't realize this was a series book either.
  • When We Meet Again (Effingtons, #10)
  • Sins of a Duke (Griffin Family, #4)
  • Never Dare a Duke (Sons of Scandal, #2)
  • The Earl of Her Dreams
  • Her Master and Commander (Just Ask Reeves, #1)
  • One Night Scandal (The Spinster Club, #5)
  • The Scottish Companion
  • My Own Private Hero (American Heiresses, #3)
  • The Hazards of Hunting a Duke (Desperate Debutantes, #1)
  • The Devil's Web (Web, #3)
  • Three Little Secrets (MacLachlan Family, #4)
  • A Matter of Temptation (Lost Lords, #2)
  • Desperately Seeking a Duke (Heiress Brides, #1)
  • How to Seduce a Duke (Royle Sisters, #1)
  • The Wicked Games of a Gentleman (Boscastle, #4)
CATHY MAXWELL spends hours in front of her computer pondering the question, "Why do people fall in love?" It remains for her the mystery of life and the secret to happiness.

She lives in beautiful Virginia with her children, horses, dogs, and cats.
More about Cathy Maxwell...
Four Dukes and a Devil Married in Haste (Marriage, #1) A Seduction at Christmas (Scandals and Seductions, #1) In the Highlander's Bed (Cameron Sisters, #5) The Earl Claims His Wife (Scandals and Seductions, #2)