Start by marking “The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)

The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Princess Rosalynn is pretty, spoiled, and childish. She gives no thought to the men and women that protect her father's throne. Then one day, invaders from the enormous kingdom across the river storm across the Bridge and conquer the royal castle.

Alone and in danger, Rosalynn sets out on foot to find her father. Some of her own subjects, she discovers, are willing to sell

Published October 1st 1988 by Journey Forth (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge

Lynette Staswick
Jun 20, 2008 Lynette Staswick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children, children-at-heart
This series has to be one of my all-time favorite children's series. Maybe it's because of my love of kings, kingdoms, and princesses, maybe it's the idea of secret identities, but whatever the reason, these books captured my imagination from the day I first read it over 10 years ago, and I am still held captive by them to this day. These books sit within easy reach on my bookshelf to allow for multiple (and frequent) re-readings.
Feb 12, 2015 Sarah added it
I read (and reread!) The Bridge as a homeschooled child in the 80s and 90s. It was part of our Christian curriculum materials. I had no idea The Bridge was the first in a trilogy until now, February 2015. How exciting! I know we still have our copy around here somewhere. I should find it and read it again, then acquire the other two books.
J. Aleksandr Wootton
The Bracken trilogy feel like fantasy novellas, but apart from taking place in a fictional country, they don't really belong in the genre. More like medieval adventure stories.
Melanie Williams
I read this as an adolescent and I remember REALLY enjoying it and the rest of the trilogy!
Lee Anne
Probably wouldn't rate it 5 stars as an adult, but when I was a kid I adored this book.
Julia
Absolutely loved this book! It made me cry and laugh! :)
Alisse
I thought The Bridge was alright. I think the best part was whenever Princess Rosalynn was being taken care of by the Wise Woman. I like it in books when everything is alright and homey. I also think it is pretty exciting when the war is going on or something exciting is happening. One time I was reading a good book and something excting is happennig and I bit my tounge because it was so exciting. The next morning it was pretty sore. Haha.
Samantha
It was awesome, I loved it so much. I like Princess Rosalynn and Herron and the king and the wise woman who saved Rosalynn. I like when Herron and Rosalynn get married and also the wise woman and king get married too. The wise woman was her step-mother, very kind.
Karen
This was my favorite book when I was a child. I read it and re-read it many times over.
Jill
This trilogy was my favorite to read growing up, even as a teenager. I don't remember how many times I have re-read these three books.
Joanna
this book was great! It is one that kids and adults can enjoy. The plot is is fantastic as is the story itself.
One of my favorite books as a child. I highly recommend this and the rest of the trilogy to young readers.
Angela
Mar 28, 2012 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 9+
The Bracken Trilogy was very enjoyable, as with all of Jeri Massi's books.
Karen
It's fantastic. The discussions that you can have are amazing.
Gen
Very easy read, but fun.
Samara
Childhood favorite!
Tina Burns
Tina Burns marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Olivia Fleming
Olivia Fleming marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Ethan Hill
Ethan Hill marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2015
Joy C.
Joy C. marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2015
Brenna Walker
Brenna Walker marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2015
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Markel
Markel added it
Mar 16, 2015
Katie Stone
Katie Stone marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • Sir Bentley and Holbrook Court (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #2)
  • A Father's Promise
  • The Sapphire Princess Helps a Mermaid (The Jewel Kingdom, #10)
  • Shadow Castle
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • The Bark of the Bog Owl (The Wilderking Trilogy, #1)
  • Raiders from the Sea (Viking Quest, #1)
  • The Heart of Arcrea (The Arcrean Conquest, #1)
Jeri Massi is the author of the Schizophrenic Christianity, Secret Radio, the Peabody Adventures series and the Bracken Trilogy. In 2003, her novel VALKYRIES, published by Moody Press, was nominated for the Christy Award.

Although she began her career writing fiction, in 2001 Jeri set aside fiction writing to pursue justice on behalf of victims of clergy sexual abuse in Christian Fundamentalist ch
More about Jeri Massi...

Bracken Trilogy (3 books)
  • Crown and Jewel (Bracken Trilogy, #2)
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)
Derwood, Inc Crown and Jewel (Bracken Trilogy, #2) The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3) A Dangerous Game Llamas on the Loose