Start by marking “The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)

The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy #1)

Princess Rosalynn is pretty, spoiled, and childish. She gives no thought to the men and women that protect her father's throne. Then one day, invaders from the enormous kingdom across the river storm across the Bridge and conquer the royal castle.

Alone and in danger, Rosalynn sets out on foot to find her father. Some of her own subjects, she discovers, are willing to sell

Published October 1st 1988 by Journey Forth (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge

Lydia Howe
Mar 08, 2017 Lydia Howe rated it it was amazing
My sister first read me this book when I was three, so it's not an exaggeration when I say I grew up with the book. I'm guessing that I've read it at least ten times, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if I've read it more than that.

This was the first time I've read the book in several years though, and I was actually amazed that there were sentences, paragraphs, and even one chapter that I hadn't specifically remembered. I was delighted over and over again at how the author weaves the story in
Lynette Staswick
Jun 19, 2008 Lynette Staswick rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children, children-at-heart
This series has to be one of my all-time favorite children's series. Maybe it's because of my love of kings, kingdoms, and princesses, maybe it's the idea of secret identities, but whatever the reason, these books captured my imagination from the day I first read it over 10 years ago, and I am still held captive by them to this day. These books sit within easy reach on my bookshelf to allow for multiple (and frequent) re-readings.
The Wanderer
Sep 18, 2015 The Wanderer rated it it was amazing
My early teenage years were largely defined by this book, and it influences me still. My sister was similarly affected, and when I was a cabin leader at summer camp, I would read it to my girls before bed, and they all fell in love with it, too.

The language is straightforward and not flowery, but at the same time, it has literary class and uses some higher-level medieval vocabulary. The characters are simultaneously strong and nurturing, courageous and obedient. The plot is exciting - an entire
Megan Davis
Apr 12, 2016 Megan Davis rated it liked it
It's hard to rate this book because it was read to me as a child, and I loved it then. I read it again a few years later and liked it less. Now, looking back on what I remember, I wanted to rate it a one or a two, but I realize my world view clouds my opinion. This is written by a Christian author, and although it is not classed as Christian fiction, I personally think the metaphors are heavy and, quite frankly, a little scary. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. However, this is my adult persp ...more
Alisse
Nov 09, 2011 Alisse rated it really liked it
I thought The Bridge was alright. I think the best part was whenever Princess Rosalynn was being taken care of by the Wise Woman. I like it in books when everything is alright and homey. I also think it is pretty exciting when the war is going on or something exciting is happening. One time I was reading a good book and something excting is happennig and I bit my tounge because it was so exciting. The next morning it was pretty sore. Haha.
Feb 12, 2015 Sarah added it
I read (and reread!) The Bridge as a homeschooled child in the 80s and 90s. It was part of our Christian curriculum materials. I had no idea The Bridge was the first in a trilogy until now, February 2015. How exciting! I know we still have our copy around here somewhere. I should find it and read it again, then acquire the other two books.
Mere
Mar 11, 2016 Mere rated it really liked it
A good read for my 5th graders, but the story wasn't as compelling as some of them wished. I found the vocabulary difficult (especially since English is their second language), and the characters just seemed blah. I guess that's to be expected for a young reader novel that's just around 100 pages though.
Samantha
May 04, 2011 Samantha rated it it was amazing
It was awesome, I loved it so much. I like Princess Rosalynn and Herron and the king and the wise woman who saved Rosalynn. I like when Herron and Rosalynn get married and also the wise woman and king get married too. The wise woman was her step-mother, very kind.
Apr 24, 2012 Laura rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books as a child. I highly recommend this and the rest of the trilogy to young readers.
Jill
Feb 16, 2011 Jill rated it it was amazing
This trilogy was my favorite to read growing up, even as a teenager. I don't remember how many times I have re-read these three books.
Rebekah Palmer
Mar 29, 2016 Rebekah Palmer rated it it was amazing
I discovered the Bracken Trilogy in high school and love all three to this day. Gets me out of my head when I need a short reprieve from trying circumstances. Well written, encouraging stories!
Yibbie
Aug 13, 2015 Yibbie rated it really liked it
Medieval adventure book for children. Well done, the lesson isn't so obvious it distracts from the story.
Karen
Jan 19, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
It's fantastic. The discussions that you can have are amazing.
J. Aleksandr Wootton
The Bracken trilogy feel like fantasy novellas, but apart from taking place in a fictional country, they don't really belong in the genre. More like medieval adventure stories.
Samara
Jul 02, 2012 Samara rated it really liked it
Childhood favorite!
MelanieJoy
Dec 25, 2014 MelanieJoy rated it it was amazing
I read this as an adolescent and I remember REALLY enjoying it and the rest of the trilogy!
Jessica Fulk
Adored this series as a girl. Rare to find such strong female heroines in kid's books. Would be thrilled if it was made into a tv series or film series.
Karen
Dec 25, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite book when I was a child. I read it and re-read it many times over.
Lee Anne
Aug 11, 2014 Lee Anne rated it it was amazing
Probably wouldn't rate it 5 stars as an adult, but when I was a kid I adored this book.
Joanna
Jan 08, 2008 Joanna rated it really liked it
this book was great! It is one that kids and adults can enjoy. The plot is is fantastic as is the story itself.
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Jan 03, 2009
Amanda
Amanda rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2015
Sarah rated it it was amazing
Apr 22, 2011
Tim E.
Tim E. rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2015
Jo Goad
Jo Goad rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2015
Mara
Mara rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Ruth Kucharski
Ruth Kucharski rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2013
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2014
Mary Woodworth
Mary Woodworth rated it it was amazing
Oct 09, 2016
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • Lady Carliss and the Waters of Moorue (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #4)
  • Shadow Castle
  • The Jewel Princesses and the Missing Crown (The Jewel Kingdom Super Special, #1)
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • A Father's Promise
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • The Heart of Arcrea (The Arcrean Conquest, #1)
Jeri Massi is the author of the Schizophrenic Christianity, Secret Radio, the Peabody Adventures series and the Bracken Trilogy. In 2003, her novel VALKYRIES, published by Moody Press, was nominated for the Christy Award.

Although she began her career writing fiction, in 2001 Jeri set aside fiction writing to pursue justice on behalf of victims of clergy sexual abuse in Christian Fundamentalist ch
More about Jeri Massi...

Bracken Trilogy (3 books)
  • Crown and Jewel
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)