Start by marking “The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy, #1)

The Bridge (Bracken Trilogy #1)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  256 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Princess Rosalynn is pretty, spoiled, and childish. She gives no thought to the men and women that protect her father's throne. Then one day, invaders from the enormous kingdom across the river storm across the Bridge and conquer the royal castle.

Alone and in danger, Rosalynn sets out on foot to find her father. Some of her own subjects, she discovers, are willing to sell

Published October 1st 1988 by Journey Forth (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about The Bridge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bridge

The Wanderer
My early teenage years were largely defined by this book, and it influences me still. My sister was similarly affected, and when I was a cabin leader at summer camp, I would read it to my girls before bed, and they all fell in love with it, too.

The language is straightforward and not flowery, but at the same time, it has literary class and uses some higher-level medieval vocabulary. The characters are simultaneously strong and nurturing, courageous and obedient. The plot is exciting - an entire
Lynette Staswick
Jun 20, 2008 Lynette Staswick rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children, children-at-heart
This series has to be one of my all-time favorite children's series. Maybe it's because of my love of kings, kingdoms, and princesses, maybe it's the idea of secret identities, but whatever the reason, these books captured my imagination from the day I first read it over 10 years ago, and I am still held captive by them to this day. These books sit within easy reach on my bookshelf to allow for multiple (and frequent) re-readings.
Feb 12, 2015 Sarah added it
I read (and reread!) The Bridge as a homeschooled child in the 80s and 90s. It was part of our Christian curriculum materials. I had no idea The Bridge was the first in a trilogy until now, February 2015. How exciting! I know we still have our copy around here somewhere. I should find it and read it again, then acquire the other two books.
J. Aleksandr Wootton
The Bracken trilogy feel like fantasy novellas, but apart from taking place in a fictional country, they don't really belong in the genre. More like medieval adventure stories.
Medieval adventure book for children. Well done, the lesson isn't so obvious it distracts from the story.
Melanie Williams
I read this as an adolescent and I remember REALLY enjoying it and the rest of the trilogy!
Lee Anne
Probably wouldn't rate it 5 stars as an adult, but when I was a kid I adored this book.
I thought The Bridge was alright. I think the best part was whenever Princess Rosalynn was being taken care of by the Wise Woman. I like it in books when everything is alright and homey. I also think it is pretty exciting when the war is going on or something exciting is happening. One time I was reading a good book and something excting is happennig and I bit my tounge because it was so exciting. The next morning it was pretty sore. Haha.
It was awesome, I loved it so much. I like Princess Rosalynn and Herron and the king and the wise woman who saved Rosalynn. I like when Herron and Rosalynn get married and also the wise woman and king get married too. The wise woman was her step-mother, very kind.
Jessica Fulk
Adored this series as a girl. Rare to find such strong female heroines in kid's books. Would be thrilled if it was made into a tv series or film series.
This was my favorite book when I was a child. I read it and re-read it many times over.
This trilogy was my favorite to read growing up, even as a teenager. I don't remember how many times I have re-read these three books.
this book was great! It is one that kids and adults can enjoy. The plot is is fantastic as is the story itself.
One of my favorite books as a child. I highly recommend this and the rest of the trilogy to young readers.
Mar 28, 2012 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 9+
The Bracken Trilogy was very enjoyable, as with all of Jeri Massi's books.
It's fantastic. The discussions that you can have are amazing.
Very easy read, but fun.
Childhood favorite!
Vicki marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2015
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Kristin Zueger
Kristin Zueger marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Kris O'Connor
Kris O'Connor marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Jashinme marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2015
Esther Bartel
Esther Bartel marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
TGal marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • Sir Dalton and the Shadow Heart (The Knights of Arrethtrae, #3)
  • Shadow Castle
  • A Father's Promise
  • The Sapphire Princess Hunts for Treasure (The Jewel Kingdom, #6)
  • Flight Of The Eagles (Seven Sleepers, #1)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • The World's Best Fairy Tales
  • The Princess Adelina: An Ancient Christian Tale of Beauty & Bravery
  • The Charlatan's Boy
Jeri Massi is the author of the Schizophrenic Christianity, Secret Radio, the Peabody Adventures series and the Bracken Trilogy. In 2003, her novel VALKYRIES, published by Moody Press, was nominated for the Christy Award.

Although she began her career writing fiction, in 2001 Jeri set aside fiction writing to pursue justice on behalf of victims of clergy sexual abuse in Christian Fundamentalist ch
More about Jeri Massi...

Bracken Trilogy (3 books)
  • Crown and Jewel (Bracken Trilogy, #2)
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)
Derwood, Inc Crown and Jewel (Bracken Trilogy, #2) The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3) A Dangerous Game Abandoned