Start by marking “More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader! Level 2)” as Want to Read:
More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader! Level 2)

More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader! Level 2)

4.17  ·  Rating Details  ·  723 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. Minnie the monkey is too busy eating spaghetti--all day, in all ways--to play with her friend Freddie.
School, 32 pages
Published January 1st 1993 by Turtleback (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about More Spaghetti, I Say!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Spaghetti, I Say!

Kerry
Jul 04, 2012 Kerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a very fond childhood memory of the moment I learned how to read. Obviously, it took years of dedicated elementary teachers and countless nights of shared reading with my parents and older sisters, but in my mind, it boils down to one summer with one book. More Spaghetti, I Say! by Rita Golden Gelman will forever be the book that taught me to read. After my kindergarten year, the hotter-than-usual temperatures kept me indoors curled up with my summer reading list. I spent the next three m ...more
Callie Rose Tyler
Very cute easy reader that can also be used for a storytime!
Cassidy
Feb 08, 2015 Cassidy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the story of a young monkey who is infatuated with spaghetti, she becomes ill and decides to stop eating spaghetti. However, later her friend who wanted her to play and stop eating spaghetti decides to start eating spaghetti as well. I think this book has more of an entertaining and funny purpose rather than teaching a lesson. But, the book does teach that eating too much of something is not a good idea and will not only make you feel sick, but distract you from healthy things such as playing ...more
Brittany Dalziel
Personal Reaction: I absolutely ADORE this book. I read this book at least 100 times when I was younger and I know for a fact that my love of reading came from this book. When I read it again for the first time in 14 or so years, I still had much of the book memorized. I love how rhythmic the book is and how it has a really nice flow from page to page.

Purpose: The purpose of this book is for beginner readers to read independently and to practice becoming better readers. The lexile level of this
Julia
Apr 26, 2016 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The monkeys in the book are siiiiiiiiiiiiiiily! Ha HA!
Jordan Brown
Mar 24, 2014 Jordan Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-etl-2368
More Spaghetti, I Say!
Author: Rita Golden Gelman
Reading Level: 4-7
Gelman, Rita Golden (1993) More Spaghetti, I Say! New York: Scholastic

More Spaghetti, I say! Is a silly book. The story focuses on Minnie, a monkey with a particular fascination with spaghetti.

It's a frivolous, lighthearted tale. The illustrations are distinct and memorable, and they compliment the story very well. It's an easy read; thus, it's quite accessible to younger readers.

Overall, it was an enjoyable book.

Heidi
This story begs to be read aloud. And since we have the large copy, it will be even more fun. This should be fun.

11/9/10 This was so fun to read. A great song to sing after "Albequergue Turkey." The kids loved the large book format. And I had fun making the sounds with the actions. I think the kids liked it, too.

11/16/10 & 11/18/10 Wonderful reactions to all the ways one could eat spaghetti. (I'll be honest that some sounded good to me, but everyone knows I have bizarre tastes for food.) Th
Joleene Libby
Jun 24, 2015 Joleene Libby rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edu-511, monkey, rhyming
All Freddy wants if for Minnie to play with him but all Minnie wants to do is eat spaghetti. Minnie can't get enough of spaghetti and will eat it anywhere and on anything. Will Freddy ever get her to play with him?

Best Line-
"I am going to throw it all over the bed, in the air, on your chair, on the floor, ON YOUR HEAD!"

Lesson Ideas- Rhyming, Predictions, Inferring
Rebecca
Nov 03, 2015 Rebecca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book so many times as a child, and now with my own children, they love reading it to me or having me read it to them. The text is entertaining enough for me to read and not become bored, but simple enough if they want to read it to me. It is written with emotion and humor. Plus it makes spaghetti look so tasty.
Barnak
Oct 11, 2015 Barnak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: neel-book-list
I like this book because it reminds me eating apples and my brother said now let's play. And I said that I am eating and my brother still wanted me to play and finally I was done and then my brother was eating salad with grapes and then I said play with me and he said no and it kept on going a lot of times alot.
Cara Kemnitz
Oct 11, 2014 Cara Kemnitz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: group
This story reads very much like a Dr. Seuss book, but it is a bit simpler for the independent reader. It uses a lot of basic words to strengthen phonetic understanding and also implements and repeats more challenging words like "spaghetti".
John Gentry
Nov 16, 2015 John Gentry rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Do you love spaghetti? If you said no then just leave my review, leave my profile, leave me alone. Did you say yes? Then read this book to your kid, your lover, yourself. Just do it for the love of pasta.
Andrew Lovell
I liked it. Everyone has a friend that is obsessed with something. This monkey doesn't want to do anything but eat spaghetti, kind of funny. Is it a rip off of Green Eggs and Ham?
Illeyana
Mar 02, 2015 Illeyana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story, especially for beginners. It has an excellent storyline that I believe most students can relate to.
Alistair Parker
I like it because I like spaghetti. I read this book to Mimi. There are two monkeys playing in spaghetti.
Amber Fuhrman
I loved this book as a child. It is entertaining and is just a fun book for children.
Ricci
Aug 07, 2015 Ricci rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
great rhythm for storytime -- and, spaghetti is a great word.
Willow
Sep 02, 2015 Willow rated it it was amazing
"My favorite part is Freddie's terrifying face at the end."
Ms. Landrum's Class
I like this book because she did not want to play with him because she was eating Spaghetti too much.

ZP
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Minnie loves spaghetti! She wants to eat it, play with it, and make more of it. Freddy just wants to play with a friend.

More Spaghetti, I Say is reminiscent of Green Eggs and Ham for a younger audience. The obsession and silliness is fun to share. With repetitional phrases, it's a great read aloud to be extravagant. This would also do well with a two team read aloud.

Theme: Pasta
Additional themes: spaghetti, monkeys

Reviewed from a library copy.
Blakeley Norris
This book is about a monkey who loves spaghetti and his friend wants him to play with him, but he is too busy eating spaghetti. At the end, the monkey who loves spaghetti gets sick and then decides he has time to play, but then his friend starts eating spaghetti and can't play. This book repeats itself and would be good for younger children who have sight words because it has great ones like not, can, I, see, etc...
Jamie Tedesco
Jan 10, 2014 Jamie Tedesco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Cute book. It kind if seemed as though it was pointing out exactly what kids do, they do what they want to do when they want to do it. Interesting use if spaghetti.
The Styling Librarian
More Spaghetti, I Say! by Rita Golden Gelman, illustrated by Mort Gerberg – The book that was just mentioned: http://taralazar.com/2012/11/08/piboi... because of the approval of a young book advisor to Ame Dyckman made me laugh when I found it on the shelf later the afternoon after I read the post! Really fun terrific book that my son loved reading aloud to me.
Christina Robbins
I love this book! This brought me back to my childhood! It's so much fun to read! It has rhyming words throughout the book. This book is very silly with the monkeys and how Minnie wants to eat her spaghetti all the time and on everything. It teaches that it's okay to love eating something but not all the time because you will get sick and turn green.
Ayesha Hasan
May 29, 2012 Ayesha Hasan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Freddy wants to play with Minnie but Minnie is too busy eating spaghetti. This book had a lot of potential to teach kids about moderation and portion control but tended to focus on the absurd instead. Minne (and later Freddy's) food obsession is an unfortunately common and now acceptable theme in children's books today.
Stacy Natal
Jan 12, 2014 Stacy Natal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love this cute book for beginning readers. Great spaghetti pics.
Megan Breslow
Jan 19, 2010 Megan Breslow rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
More Spaghetti is about a monkey who's friend will not play with him because she is eating spaghetti. The story is full of rhyming words and the ending will make the children think and laugh. The book could inspire conversation about favorite foods.

Good book for Kindergarten maybe first grade.
Lelvina
Sep 03, 2010 Lelvina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I loved this book as a kid!
Minnie LOVES spaghetti and doesn't have time for anything else. Minnie's friend just wants to play. I had parts of it memorized as a kid. This is a cute book for kids.

"Not now, can't you see, I'm eating spaghetti!"
Maria
Jul 16, 2009 Maria rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: el-ed-340
Picture Book

Minnie won't play with Freddy because she's eating spaghetti. Minnie ends up stopping because she feels sick, and Freddy starts eating spaghetti. Now Minnie wants to play, but Freddy is too busy eating.
Anne
Jun 06, 2008 Anne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
One of my favorite children's books... ties in perfectly with my favorite pre-school holiday, "Spaghetti Day". (Of course, my class is the only pre-school class, that I know of, that celebrates this pretend holiday each year)!
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • "What is That?" Said the Cat (Hello Reader, Level 1)
  • Volcanoes!
  • The Berenstain Bears Ride the Thunderbolt
  • Two Crazy Pigs (level 2) (Hello Reader)
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Clifford's ABC
  • I Miss You, Stinky Face
  • Pigsty
  • Sadie and the Snowman
  • Not Norman: A Goldfish Story
  • Wake Up, Sun!
  • Why Should I Recycle?
  • Pinkalicious: School Rules!
  • Max Spaniel: Funny Lunch