More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader! Level 2)

More Spaghetti, I Say! (Hello Reader! Level 2)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  413 ratings  ·  46 reviews
FOR USE IN SCHOOLS AND LIBRARIES ONLY. Minnie the monkey is too busy eating spaghetti--all day, in all ways--to play with her friend Freddie.
School, 32 pages
Published January 1st 1993 by Turtleback (first published November 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about More Spaghetti, I Say!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about More Spaghetti, I Say!

Kerry
I have a very fond childhood memory of the moment I learned how to read. Obviously, it took years of dedicated elementary teachers and countless nights of shared reading with my parents and older sisters, but in my mind, it boils down to one summer with one book. More Spaghetti, I Say! by Rita Golden Gelman will forever be the book that taught me to read. After my kindergarten year, the hotter-than-usual temperatures kept me indoors curled up with my summer reading list. I spent the next three m...more
Callie Rose Tyler
Very cute easy reader that can also be used for a storytime!
Jordan Brown
More Spaghetti, I Say!
Author: Rita Golden Gelman
Reading Level: 4-7
Gelman, Rita Golden (1993) More Spaghetti, I Say! New York: Scholastic

More Spaghetti, I say! Is a silly book. The story focuses on Minnie, a monkey with a particular fascination with spaghetti.

It's a frivolous, lighthearted tale. The illustrations are distinct and memorable, and they compliment the story very well. It's an easy read; thus, it's quite accessible to younger readers.

Overall, it was an enjoyable book.

Heidi
This story begs to be read aloud. And since we have the large copy, it will be even more fun. This should be fun.

11/9/10 This was so fun to read. A great song to sing after "Albequergue Turkey." The kids loved the large book format. And I had fun making the sounds with the actions. I think the kids liked it, too.

11/16/10 & 11/18/10 Wonderful reactions to all the ways one could eat spaghetti. (I'll be honest that some sounded good to me, but everyone knows I have bizarre tastes for food.) Th...more
Amber Fuhrman
I loved this book as a child. It is entertaining and is just a fun book for children.
Rachel
I liked it. ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Minnie loves spaghetti! She wants to eat it, play with it, and make more of it. Freddy just wants to play with a friend.

More Spaghetti, I Say is reminiscent of Green Eggs and Ham for a younger audience. The obsession and silliness is fun to share. With repetitional phrases, it's a great read aloud to be extravagant. This would also do well with a two team read aloud.

Theme: Pasta
Additional themes: spaghetti, monkeys

Reviewed from a library copy.
Blakeley Norris
This book is about a monkey who loves spaghetti and his friend wants him to play with him, but he is too busy eating spaghetti. At the end, the monkey who loves spaghetti gets sick and then decides he has time to play, but then his friend starts eating spaghetti and can't play. This book repeats itself and would be good for younger children who have sight words because it has great ones like not, can, I, see, etc...
Jamie Tedesco
Cute book. It kind if seemed as though it was pointing out exactly what kids do, they do what they want to do when they want to do it. Interesting use if spaghetti.
The Styling Librarian
More Spaghetti, I Say! by Rita Golden Gelman, illustrated by Mort Gerberg – The book that was just mentioned: http://taralazar.com/2012/11/08/piboi... because of the approval of a young book advisor to Ame Dyckman made me laugh when I found it on the shelf later the afternoon after I read the post! Really fun terrific book that my son loved reading aloud to me.
Christina Robbins
I love this book! This brought me back to my childhood! It's so much fun to read! It has rhyming words throughout the book. This book is very silly with the monkeys and how Minnie wants to eat her spaghetti all the time and on everything. It teaches that it's okay to love eating something but not all the time because you will get sick and turn green.
Ayesha Hasan
Freddy wants to play with Minnie but Minnie is too busy eating spaghetti. This book had a lot of potential to teach kids about moderation and portion control but tended to focus on the absurd instead. Minne (and later Freddy's) food obsession is an unfortunately common and now acceptable theme in children's books today.
Stacy Natal
I love this cute book for beginning readers. Great spaghetti pics.
Megan Breslow
More Spaghetti is about a monkey who's friend will not play with him because she is eating spaghetti. The story is full of rhyming words and the ending will make the children think and laugh. The book could inspire conversation about favorite foods.

Good book for Kindergarten maybe first grade.
Lelvina
I loved this book as a kid!
Minnie LOVES spaghetti and doesn't have time for anything else. Minnie's friend just wants to play. I had parts of it memorized as a kid. This is a cute book for kids.

"Not now, can't you see, I'm eating spaghetti!"
Maria
Picture Book

Minnie won't play with Freddy because she's eating spaghetti. Minnie ends up stopping because she feels sick, and Freddy starts eating spaghetti. Now Minnie wants to play, but Freddy is too busy eating.
Anne
One of my favorite children's books... ties in perfectly with my favorite pre-school holiday, "Spaghetti Day". (Of course, my class is the only pre-school class, that I know of, that celebrates this pretend holiday each year)!
Leslie
This is one best to borrow from the library in those first few weeks when a child is beginning to read. It's too simple to be interesting but that's really all that's needed in these first first readers.
Sophie
I learnt that the monkey loved her spaghetti and she couldnt play because she was to busy eating spaghetti and at the end the boy monkey liked spaghetti as well and they realy loved it.
Aisling
I must have read this a million times last year, my kids heard it enough that they knew most of the lines. They asked for it over and over again. A favorite here! It's just a fun book.
This book is really fun! It contains a bunch of rhyming words and "big" words that might be challenging. Students would probably love the plot about monkey's eating spaghetti.
Leena Almashat
very interesting reading

but not much of an ending!

I just wanted them to be friends and learn from their mistakes so that they play together. Other than that, perfect! :D
Briana
As a kid I read this book over and over again. I loved it. I do not even remember the story but I know I loved it. I know that really helps as a review.
Rachel Chandler
This book would be good to share with kids and then talk about how sometimes we should stop what we are doing or want to do and do what others want to do.
Kia M.
Great book to read aloud to your kindergarten or first graders. The book has plenty of descriptive words for your students to practice using.
Sierra
This is such a fun book! I remember loving it as a kid and finding it so funny :). It's simple yet delightful. More spaghetti, I say, indeed!
Eddie
I got this book at a garage sale recently. This book used to be one of my childhood favorites and I thoroughly enjoy reading this to my two kids!
Marisa
I never get tired of reading this book aloud to a group of kids (or just one) The rhyming text is funny and the surprise ending is great!
Katie Beck
This is a good book to read to children to get them to use their imagination. This is also a good book for advanced readers.
Sam
This book is adorably funny. You could use it alongside "Green Eggs, and Ham" on a food unit or a comparing unit.
  • The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat
  • Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends)
  • Sleepy Dog
  • Biscuit
  • Fancy Nancy and the Boy from Paris
  • 100th Day Worries
  • Henry and Mudge and the Snowman Plan (Henry and Mudge, #19)
  • The Bears' Christmas
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Bell!
  • Splat the Cat: Splat the Cat Sings Flat
  • Morris the Moose
  • Pinkalicious: School Rules!
  • Not Norman: A Goldfish Story
  • The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • Sheep in a Shop
  • Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed
Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World Female Nomad and Friends: Tales of Breaking Free and Breaking Bread Around the World Pizza Pat (Step-Into-Reading, Step 2) Doodler Doodling Why Can't I Fly?