Rivals

Rivals (Baseball Great #2)

4.33 of 5 stars 4.33  ·  rating details  ·  433 ratings  ·  42 reviews
Cooperstown! Josh is thrilled when all his hard training pays off in a big way and his team, the Titans, makes it to a national tournament in Cooperstown, home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. More is on the line for Josh than just a trophy. Winning would mean everything to his dad—now Josh's coach. Winning could mean a major endorsement deal for the Titans and the a...more
Published March 23rd 2010 by HarperCollins (first published 2010)

Karen Ball
Josh LeBlanc is back, and he's playing to win, even after getting hit in the head with an intentional beanball and having to have eye surgery. His team makes it into the Hall of Fame Championships tournament, and Josh discovers that a former major league player is doing everything he can to ensure that his son's California team wins it all... everything including paying off the head umpire who is absolutely NOT interested in fairness on or off the field. Josh has a couple daring escapes from th...more
Rj Matney
The book "Rivals" by Tim Green, is a great book. "Narration filled with crisp dialogue brings immediacy to Josh's painful practice sessions, the excitement of his games, and his confusion at the flux of middle-school dynamics," says Kirkus Reviews.
Josh is a nearly six foot tall middle-schooler who is a baseball star. The Syracuse Titans are competing for a spot in the "Cooperstown Hall of Fame Tournament" against the Toledo Nighthawks. The pitcher for Toledo can throw a seventy-five mile per h...more
Cayden Veland
how did you pick this book? I saw it on the self and it looked good because its about baseball and I like baseball.

Setting: The story takes place in modern time down in Cooperstown

Conflict: The main Character is facing External conflict because in one of his baseball games he gets hit by a beam ball (a pitch that is thrown at your head on purpose) that hits him right above the eye and to keep playing to go to Cooperstown he will have to have a scar.

Characterization: The Character is dynamic beca...more
Cameron Furbeck
Rival Review
The book I chose is Rivals by Tim Green. This book is a sports fans perfect book. It was well written. I would read this book over and over again and would still be an amazing book. This book is about a kid named Josh, and he is on the way to the National Hall of Fame Tournament Championship game.
In the book, the author is narrating the book. The main characters are Josh, the baseball slugger. Benji, Josh's best friend. Jaden, a reporter writing about Josh. In the beginning, they...more
Michael Snipp
The book rivals by Tim green is a great book. I recommend this book to people who love sports especially baseball. this book is mainly about baseball and going to this big tournament called Cooperstown.
This book is based on three kids and how they want to live their dream on becoming a professional baseball player. They play on one of the best teams. on their game to goto cooperstown they have to play the best team in the country and the have a pitcher who throws fast. the pitcher for the other...more
Ryan Pittore
This story is about Josh and his two friends, Benji and Jayden, who figure our that the baseball tournament that they are in has referees that are paid for another team to win. This book is very exciting and also very realistic. It talks about Josh's family at home with two divorced parents and Josh feels partly responsible for it. Josh feels they split up because Josh's dad was pushing Josh really hard to make it to the MLB. His mom on the other hand, wanted josh just to have fun and that they...more
Daniel Flaherty
Rivals was one of those books that I wish I had read earlier. It was just that good, simply amazing, Tim Green at his best. The main character, Josh, is an all-star 12 year-old baseball player. He is the best of the best in every category, hitting, fielding, pitching, and everything else. He is an enormous force to be reckoned with. Josh’s team enters a tournament with a lot of good of good other teams. Although, on one team, the LA Comets, there is a player that is supposed to be as good as Jos...more
Trevor
This book was Phenomenol it really kept the reader at suprise it wasn't one of those books that are really predictible and take a while to get the point. The book the Rivals is the exact opposite of what I just described. It had all the things you need to make a great book, great strong detail, great characters, grreat plot, and great problem that he overcomes.

See the setting is in a suburban town up north where there is a kid name Josh and his two friends bennie and jayden. Bennie and Josh are...more
Shay Talton
The book that I'm reading is called Rivals and the authors name is Tim Green.It takes place on a baseball field with a boy named josh that likes to play baseball.My opinion on this book is that it's really attracting because it keeps the reader thinking or surprised.This book would be appropriate for 7th and 8th graders especially if they like baseball because I play baseball and I really liked it.This book is about a boy named josh that plays on a good baseball team and that he is the best play...more
Bryer
This book is about a boy named Josh who plays baseball for a very good team. It tells how he is the best on this team and the heart and sole of his team. This book is mainly about one tournament and how him and another boy become enemies or rivals. The other boy just happened to be a professional athletes son. Josh's girlfriend ends up running off from him and starts dating Toshes rival. The championship game was more about pride than actually winning.

My favorite part of this book was when Jos...more
David
This book was a great book to read. Josh and his friends, Jaden and Benji, are in a tournament when Josh gets hit by a pitch in the head and almost breaking his eye socket. Even though that, Josh keeps playing and goes to the country championship. In the championship, he goes against Mickey Mullen Jr.

This baseball book was really good. The writing is powerful and puts you in Josh's shoes. Some of the strengths are I enjoyed how Josh kept trying to play baseball even after getting hit by a bean b...more
Daniel Lagan
Fantastic

Fantastic

great lots of fun characters and a fun story full of awesome baseball players. I would recommend this book to young readers.
Josh G
I rated this book as four stars because it wasn't all just baseball the whole book like most baseball books it had much more suspense and unexpected things that happened. If there were no cheaters in the tournament and everyone played the game right this book would never be a good book.
Henry Singer
Josh and his team is thrilled that they have made it to the Cooperstown Hall of Fame tournament. Josh can't wait to roll over the teams in their path. The only problem is that they can't roll over the teams in their path. The stakes are higher, and the teams are much better. To make things worse, his family desperately needs the money that comes with a Nike Sponsor if you win the tournament. Though, Josh is one of the best players out there, he starts to second guess if his team can pull it off,...more
6forbes_jon
I think that my book was good because there was lots of action in the novel about baseball and the book was set up really awkward because he would meet different friends throughout the book.Also i think that the book should of ended a little earlier because they were talking about things that were already told in the book but the things that were listed were really important to remember throughout the book.Then in the end the main character mickey his team won the championship when college baseb...more
Cristian Parra
Josh is a very good baseball player. Josh was beamed by a ball in the eye. Now josh has a big choice two make. If he wants to play in a huge little leauge tournament against some of the best teams in the country. What will he have to do, to keep his family out of the debt.

The book is interesting i think because, if you like sports its a good book to read. Even though its not realits still inspiring. Also, after you start reading it you dont want to stop reading.
Christy
Cooperstown! Josh is thrilled when all his hard training pays off in big way and his team, the Titans, makes it to a national tournament in Cooperstown, home of the National Baseball Hall of Fame. More is on the line for Josh than just a trophy. Winning would mean everything to his dad—now Josh's coach. Winning could mean a major endorsement deal for the Titans and the a.
Jack T.
Another great book by tim green. This book is full of thrillers and excitement. It is about sports, (baseball). What I like about it is that it is a sequel to baseball great. It wraps up a mystery/ cliffhanger from the first book. Another reason that I like it is because it has to do with kids my age. I recommend this book to anyone who likes sequels and sports books.
StorySnoops
This companion book to Baseball Great is action packed and suspenseful and will be a big hit with young baseball players and fans. Lots of play by play action, a visit to the Baseball Hall of Fame, a brush with a baseball legend, and perilous situations... (click here for full review http://www.storysnoops.com/detail.php...)
Dalton M
I thought this was a great book about a boy trying to win his team a baseball tournament in Cooperstown.I could not imagine someone doing some of the things he does.This book has suspense,is thrilling, and is a great sports story.I would recommend this book to anyone who likes sports or a good suspenseful book.
Jack Loftus
It a good sports story. It has lot of action. the beginning is better than the end.
Jake Kramer
Apr 16, 2014 Jake Kramer rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Jake by: Justin Hodson
I really like sports books. This is a must read book its about a kid wanting to live his dream just like all the kids. He gets the chance to live his dream. Read the book to find out what happens in the end. It is a very good book. If you like sports you should read this book.
Lucas Gray
This book was very exciting to read. I really enjoyed reading this book because it had a lot of suspense which made me want to read more. It also is a combination of a sports book and a mystery book. I recommend this book to anyone who loves baseball and also likes mystery.
Rebecca
As far as baseball novels goes this one is okay but not great. I have not read any other Tim Green but I think if I want to read another sports novel I will be sticking with Mike Lupica or Matt Christopher.
Books and Snacks May
Tim green came to I. C. as our author visit and I can't say enough about him. He had a great message for the kids and was just an all around nice guy. Plus he was great with Adam.
Jon Barber
Enjoyed the baseball parts of this a lot! The sleuthing on their own got a little silly, but a fun silly and the book had some good lessons for young athletes.
Mrs Smith Smith
How much courage do you have to achieve a goal? I liked the book but I do not know if I like how the parents handled the problems with Josh.
Crone LMC
This book was an exciting book about the struggles of a baseball team that sought a championship trophy.
Nick W.
8-1 Bachler 1-2 Block
Bradley
i think it is a great book so far about a baseball player overcoming an injury. and trying to to get a friend back
the boss  is awesome
This book is sports mystery together one of the best books I have ever read
  • The Batboy
  • Satch & Me (A Baseball Card Adventure #7)
  • Box Out
  • Cover-Up: Mystery at the Super Bowl (The Sports Beat, #3)
  • High Heat
  • Mudville
  • Hothead
Tim Green, for many years a star defensive end with the Atlanta Falcons, is a man of many talents. He's the author of such gripping books for adults as the New York Times bestselling The Dark Side of the Game and a dozen suspense novels, including Exact Revenge and Kingdom Come. Tim graduated covaledictorian from Syracuse University and was a first-round NFL draft pick. He later earned his law deg...more
More about Tim Green...
Football Hero (Football Genius, #2) Football Genius (Football Genius, #1) Baseball Great Football Champ (Football Genius, #3) Unstoppable