Start by marking “The Vampiric Housewife (The Vampiric Housewife, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Vampiric Housewife (The Vampiric Housewife, #1)

The Vampiric Housewife (The Vampiric Housewife)

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  79 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In the sleepy town of Sangre Valley, Buicks still have tailfins, girls don poodle skirts, and families gather around their black and white televisions to watch The Donna Reed Show. But not all is as it seems in this 1950's town. The milkman leaves bottles of blood on the doorstep instead of milk, and the grocery store sells human heads as produce instead of heads of lettuc ...more
Published October 22nd 2009 by Firelight Books

To ask other readers questions about The Vampiric Housewife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Vampiric Housewife

Jen
I love vampire literature, but I am very picky about my vampire books, especially nowadays. When my friend recommanded this book, I was leery because she had also recommanded Twilight. But I read it and I'm happy to report that I've found a new vampire series to read! I was warned that The Vampiric Housewife starts off slow which it does. The beginning is interesting as you explore a 1950's town of vampires-- Marquette is an extremely visual writer--but you're not sure where the book is headed; ...more
Syd
This is a refreshing new take on vampires. No more angst love triangles with teenagers. You're introduced to the Murray family who seem like your "Leave it to Beaver" family except, well, they're vampires. That's what sucked me in. The begining is satirical and smartly written. Mom is a housewife. Dad works in a hospital. The teenage son is a star athlete while the teenage daughter is an outcast. And the youngest son is just like any eleven year old you've ever met except for his love of blood. ...more
Karalee
I received this book through the Goodreads giveaways program. I have read dozens of books in the "paranormal" genre, especially since books involving vampires are "all the rage" right now. This book has a fresh and unique take on the "vampires are real" plot. It is sort of like the Stepford Wives meets Queen of the Damned. The story revolves around a vampire housewife, Valerie Murray, who lives in a small suburban vampire community (Sangre Valley) in the 1950s with her husband and three vampire ...more
Karen
Valerie, Charlie and their kids live in a small town called Sangre Valley. Charlie works for Dr Venjamin at the hospital in town and Valerie is a housewife and mother. They are all vampires. Most of the folk in town are vampires, but not all. Charlie is a made-vampire and Valerie is a living-vampire, with a heartbeat. Their kids are cross-breeds and very unusual.

Charlie is faced with a new project at work, one that will harm his lovely family and he knows the only way to save them is to leave to
Shanna Crummel
This book was amazing. It was well written with a storyline that draws you in and leaves you wanting more. I especially enjoyed the new twist on vampires and would recommend this book to anyone looking for a bolder take on these mythical creatures! I look forward to reading more from Ms. Marquette!
Jess
I can’t remember how I came to buy this book for kindle right before deployment, but I do remember it was one of the last ones I snagged for myself. It looked interesting as hell, and I promised to give it a read ASAP despite the fact it didn’t have that many reviews or ratings.

And now that I’ve finally read it, I can say with a certainty that it was absolutely wonderful.

I haven’t really been caught up in the newly resurrected vampire craze of late, I’ve read twilight and a few other different
Hayley
The premise of the book is inventive, the characters realistic and likable, and the action sequences exciting and well-placed. There were some problems, however. Towards the end of the book, things seemed rushed. There were multiple examples of the wrong words being used ("ease dropping" instead of "eavesdropping" for instance). While it was usually easy to discern the author's intent, these mistakes were certainly a distraction from the story. More of a problem was the change in tone of the sto ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 22, 2012 Elizabeth rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any horror vampire lover who love strong females but not their love stories
The premise is new and exciting. It is interesting to view how a vampire society would work and how no one bats an eye to the person slowly rotting on the kitchen cutting board. The story was executed quite well.

One of the reasons the story worked so well for me would have to be the villain, Venjamin. There is a a certain allure that draws you to a vicious psychopath in a position of power. Better yet, a doctor. He just exudes calmness and serenity most of the time. (view spoiler)
Sue
My daughter gave me this book to read. I'm not much into vampires, but I have to say that I liked this book. It felt like I was watching a movie rather than reading a book. Everything was so vivid. It was a bit gory with all the blood, but I guess that just comes along with vampires. The satirical 1950's town, the scientific explanation of vampires blended with the Eastern European folklore, then how she brought in the Mitochondrial Eve, it was all very fascinating. I've never read anything quit ...more
Mirany
Nikki
I really liked this book, but I can't really explain why. The description caught my eye and then as I read the beginning it was such an interesting concept...a whole world just like our world but vampiric. Then it took a horror film type turn on it in the middle, then an action book at the end...all while I could relate to a woman finding out who she is and how strong she is while at the same time a love story. I would recommend this book. Just realize, if you come across a few pages or chapters ...more
Chris
Vampires. Housewives. Mad scientists. 1950s. Great, quick read. Original. Not like any other vampire book I've ever read.
Denise
This was so good! As others have said, it did start off slow. It began in the 1950's and was kind of corny (and twisted at the same time). Without spoiling anything, I'll just say that things aren't as they seem and once you find out the big secret/lie, the book is great and moves along fast! I couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read the sequel - hopefully there is one planned.

Oh, and as another reviewer said, there are a few grammar/misspellings/typo errors, which is more odd than anything.
Brennan
I'll give the concept some points for originality. However, I found most of the characters trite and cliched. My main issue with this book is that it is badly in need of an editor. I've never read a published book with so many errors. It was really distracting. How can you stay with a story that describes someone as "gleaming" information? I know it was published by a small house, but that's just embarrassing.
Melissa
I though this book was soooooo goood! I loved the whold 50's housewife thrust into the modern world to fight to keep her family safe. The ending was perfect and I look forward to starting the next in the series The House of the Vampire Queen!
Laura Gilbert
An enjoyable, short read. The spelling errors in the book can be somewhat off putting but the story was thoroughly enjoyable, I look forward to the sequel ( at least I hope there is one!). I seem to have read many vampire based books this year and this one was the most different from the 'typical' vampire books around at the moment. Would recommend it to friends.
Kyla
I've read a lot of vampire stories, and after a while they all start to seem pretty much the same. The Vampiric Housewife is an exception to the rule. It takes an interesting new twist on the old theme. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes vampires, whether you're a fan of Stoker, Rice or Meyers.
Carey Fanzone
This is a hard book to review. I devoured it (1.5 days) so obviously it held me captive. But the writing is fairly simple and the text errors were abundant (I read the Nook version). But it as an easy read that kept my attention so it gets 3/5 stars.
Krissa
This is the first vampire book I've read that's more science fiction than horror or fantasy, yet it still has those elements to it. I was intrigue by this book. I still am.
Amy
This was a refreshing new Vampire story. It captured my interest from the beginning & kept it through the entire story.
Katherine
I loved the plot and I loved the characters, but this book is in desperate need of an editor.
Deborah Hawkins
Enjoyable read; very quick and fun. A different take on Vampire lore.
Apr 22, 2010 Jennifer marked it as to-read
This is an interesting twist. I hope it's as good as the reviews say.
Charisa Flaherty
A unique, but unimpressive version of the vampire story.
Darla
Oct 14, 2011 Darla marked it as to-read
Can't find it on my kindle app :(
Pauline
to read
Heather
Heather marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Daniela
Daniela marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Katie Portrude
Katie Portrude marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2015
Awesome man!!!!!! 3 14 Jun 07, 2011 12:37PM
Anyone else reading?? This is sooo good! 2 4 Jun 07, 2011 12:36PM
  • Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider
  • Valantinus: Blood Brothers
  • Blood Pressure: A Vampire Testament
  • The Dracula Dossier: A Novel of Suspense
  • Descent into Dust (Emma Andrews #1)
  • The Vampire's  Violin
  • Angel of Vengeance: The Novel  that Inspired the TV Show Moonlight
  • Twenty-Five Years Ago Today
  • Immortal (Immortal, #1)
  • 33 A.D. (Bachiyr, #1)
  • Dracula, My Love: The Secret Journals of Mina Harker
  • Hotel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1)
  • Blood Curse (Blood Revelation, #1)
  • The Awakening (Chrysalis #1)
  • Blood & Spirits (The Coming Storm, #1)
  • Blood and Sunlight: A Maryland Vampire Story
  • The Girls with Games of Blood
  • Stainless: A Modern Romance
Kristen Marquette was born in Wayne, Michigan in 1981. She studied English at Michigan State University, focusing on creative writing and women's literature. She has worked as a tutor, retail slave, receptionist, and internet content writer to support her fiction writing habit.

Marquette is the author of five novels, which include: The Creaking Tree, Shakespeare's Sister, and The Vampiric Housewife
More about Kristen Marquette...

The Vampiric Housewife (3 books)
  • The House of the Vampire Queen (The Vampiric Housewife, #2)
  • The Age of the Vampire Goddess (The Vampiric Housewife, #3)
The House of the Vampire Queen (The Vampiric Housewife, #2) The Creaking Tree The Age of the Vampire Goddess (The Vampiric Housewife, #3) Shakespeare's Sister