Start by marking “My Name Is Russell Fink” as Want to Read:
My Name Is Russell Fink

My Name Is Russell Fink

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  307 ratings  ·  60 reviews
Russell Fink is an artist trapped in the body of a copier salesman. His fiancee is nearly as psychotic as his family. And someone has murdered Sonny, his allegedly clairvoyant basset hound. His mission is simple ... salvage a job he hates, convince his flaky fiancee that their engagement really is over, and find Sonny's killer."
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about My Name Is Russell Fink, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Name Is Russell Fink

Michael
Is it wrong to review your own book?
Cheryl
Russell Fink is a man with many issues. He’s a hypochondriac. He sells office products for a living, a job he loathes. He’s engaged to a controlling actress wanna-be he's dated since high school. His mom is an alcoholic, his father a disgraced faith healer looking to re-enter the ministry and his brother has money problems, due to his gambling.

But the crux of Russell’s problems is the guilt he carries for the death of his twin sister years before and the anger he harbors toward God and his fath...more
Lauren Hidden
I picked up this book when it was a Kindle freebie some time back but just got around to reading it. I actually am not generally a fan of Christian fiction, but didn't realize this fit that genre until I was already hooked.

This book has some moments when you ask yourself "Really??" and you have to entertain some pretty hardcore suspension of disbelief. The main character, Russell, is a pretty tortured soul in an unhappy relationship, stuck in a job he hates and more than a decade later, illogic...more
Jeanie
Russell Fink is a young man that can not forget the past and therefore never grows up. He seems stuck. You might say he is somewhat of an idiot but a fun loving one at that. With the death of his twin sister, he struggles with who God is and if God has faith in him. His grampa reminds him to remember who Jesus is and what he did for him. And his dog, helps him with his problems in the most unusual way. With many disfunctional personalities, it is more of satire of the disfuctional. The book was...more
Dailycheapreads
My Name is Russell Fink is a sort of coming-of-age story, in a Gen-X slacker way. But it also has humor, romance and a hint of a mystery.

Russell Fink is a dysfunctional but likable character. The story unfolds in a natural unhurried way, which makes you feel like you’re reading in real time. Each of the many characters adds a complexity to Russell’s life. A favorite was Russel’s self-centered, beauty-queen fiancee who insisted that Russell was not going to break up with her, she would break up w...more
Janice
A confusing, more-than-usually dysfunctional set of characters careens through the pages. None of them are particularly believable, their choices are overblown and I couldn't follow the sequence of events. Worst of all, this turns into a prayer-fest about 3/4 of the way through. No thanks to THAT. Blegh!!!!

UPDATE: Okay, I was a little harsh on Russell Fink. After chatting back and forth with Mike Snyder, the author, and after a spirited discussion with members of our book group, I can better und...more
Theweed74955 Wild
The main character is kind of a schmuck. If anything could be wrong with his life, most of it has already happened. Not that the book is a great work of literature, but I like the bizarre characters and unfortunate situations that develop around the main character. I felt like I have been there with him. There's not so much of a plot as there is a journey through his life to watch how he reacts to the challenges. The humor of it all tempers the sadness, but I still felt a rush of emotion. A plea...more
Kathryn Witzel
Solid read with a tale of faith journey as an integral part of the story. Russell's intimate experience with religion taints his view of Christ. Through family and friends he discovers his own relationship with God despite the short comings of modern day Christianity. This is a story of reconciliation and hope.
Amy Binkerd
This book was a little weird. But since I'm not picky I rated that I like it! But he has a clairvoyant dog.....so what more do you need really?
Kelly  Schuknecht
Russell Fink sucks at life. He sucks at his job. He sucks at relationships. His life is a train wreck that you can't stop watching (or reading).

Have you ever had "one of those days"? That pretty much sums up Fink's life - one of those days that just keeps going on and on and on. Fink, a copy machine salesman who hates his job, is the neurotic son of a televangelist, miracle-working father and a quietly alcoholic mother. His grandfather is in prison for a double homicide. His twin sister died of...more
Nora St Laurent
Russell Fink seems to be going through the motions of life but not really living it. He's got everything anyone could want - a good job, a really beautiful fiancé, good family and lots of friends, but he feels empty. What is his mission? Russell wakes up one day to find his trust-worthy companion, Sonny, is dead. Yes, he was very old, but foul play is suspected. Russell is now on a mission to find Sonny's killer...even if it's the last thing he does. Things become clear to him as he searches for...more
Lisa
The Jesus juice doesn't thicken until the very end but it is a definite theme, not in an obnoxious way because it is very relevant. I also didn't think I would like it in the beginning because I hate sad saps, but it improves pretty rapidly. You also have to suspend your belief which I'm terrible at doing normally, but I rolled with it. However, I did get left with a lot questions you have to work out yourself depending on your "faith" in God? Humanity? Your own cynicism? It is cute little story...more
Deb
This novel is full of quirky characters--a little too quirky as I had trouble following their convoluted actions at times. Russell Fink, the main character, is a copier salesman with serious family issues, work/money issues, fiance issues, neighbor issues, and dog issues. It doesn't help that he feeds his dog dog biscuits soaked in liquor in the hopes that his dog's clairvoyant gift will give him guidance. Then when Russell's dog dies he is convinced someone killed him and goes off on a quest to...more
Yvette
I wasn't sure what I was getting into when I randomly picked this book up off the shelf in my local library but I was in for a pleasant surprise about the content and the story.

While tackling deep issues on loss, death, love, choices, forgiveness, and most importantly believing in God/Jesus, the story stays light and didn't overwhelm me at all while I was reading. I really enjoyed how heartwarming it was without going into intoxicating sugar mode and the whit and humor made it all the more fun...more
Roxanne
This is a story of a coming-of-age preacher's son or "PK" as some people call them, who is struggling with his job, relationships and religion. The writing is okay but the plot is sometimes confusing and not cohesive. I really disliked the ending especially with so much left unresolved. I do like some of the character development of the main character, Russell, because initially I just thought of him as a self-absorbed, "woe is me" 20-something year-old guy when as I read on I learned of the dep...more
Elaine
Russell is a hypochondriac who's down on his luck. While he tries to make his life happen, life happens to him. A job he doesn't like. A charge card that doesn't work. Dog doo in his mailbox. A fiancee' who, for too long has called all the shots. The weight of the world seems to be following him.

A little suspense. A little romance - well, more than a little but likable because it's so real.

I am laughing at the scene on the bus with the bus driver named Jerry!

I think parts were a little diffic...more
Samuel
I had the pleasure of reading this book a few years ago. If you look at other reviews, the most commonly used word to describe it is quirky: Quirky characters who quirky decisions in a book with a quirky plot.

So...that sums it up. But it is also humorous and entertaining. It is definitely a Christian book, but it isn't preachy, the characters are imperfect and make bad decisions. At the same time, the book maintains a Christian worldview. If you haven't read it yet, I definitely recommend it.
Terri
i would have to agree with some of the assessments following mine, listed below. I am not a great analysts of the writing style of authors, nor am i good at philisophical analysis of the meaning of the story. I just read the words at face value. I found this to be an interesting story, the style of writing, the storyline was not what i am used to reading. i did not have time to finish the book. i never read the same book twice, but this one i may just pick up and finish it entirely.
Elice
With the many LOL parts of this story, this definitely has to be one of the better free downloads for the Kindle. No matter how quirky you may think you are, after being inside the mind of Russell Fink you will very quickly feel normal. But in defense of Russell, if my life was filled with such random acts of bad luck perhaps I'd be just as neurotic. The one negative side of the story was the rushed ending which left some key questions unanswered. All in all a very entertaining read.
Kathryn
This was one of the many FREE books I've downloaded onto my Kindle. I actually really liked this book (although only 3 stars because the writing although funny, was hard to follow at times). I recommended this book to my sister because I thought it was funny and she could relate to the main character's outlook on life. If you have a Kindle...definitely download.
L
This is one of the strangest books I have read in a while-the main character is a comedy of errors and I found myself constantly thinking "Oh no you didn't-bought it at a discount store to read on the plane-glad I only spent $2.00-it put me to sleep twice! Would not recommend except that it is set in Nashviile and mentions many places I remember from the past
Shelley
I enjoyed this very much. It seemed that poor Russell could not catch a break no matter how hard he tried. Then his dog died and the investigation began. It was a funny, sad and sometimes strange read. It did tend to drag here and there and I would have to put it down until I could get back into it but all in all, it was good.
Cait
Sep 05, 2010 Cait rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who worry about corrupting morals in books
This felt very "My Christ is pastde on YAY." Which is to say it is a novel that self-identifies as Christian, wherein the main character undergoes a religious re-affirmation- it just didn't feel organic to the story. Until the Jesus bit, the story reminded me of Dave Barry style hijinks, then BAM, Jesus! Church!
Laurie
Snyder's first novel has most of the qualities of his second ("Return Policy") without being quite so coherent or convincing. Glad I read it, but can't recommend so highly as the second book. I look forward to reading his work as he continues to mature.
Barbara

I had read good reviews on this. I started to quit reading it and then told my son some of the stuff and thought, "Well, that is pretty funny," so I kept going. I quit again. There are parts of this book that are funny -- but I found it annoying.
Bridget
Sep 29, 2010 Bridget marked it as to-read---on-kindle  ·  review of another edition
Damn. I was just about to read this and then realized it's CHRISTIAN FICTION AGAIN. Booo Amazon! Stop faking me out!!!! I'm not going to delete it, but I can't read more christian fiction so soon after Treason so it goes to the bottom of the pile.
Karen
Given the free status of this book on the Kindle and the religious slant of the publisher, I thought this book would have been a waste of time; however, I enjoyed the book and found myself returning to see how Russell turns out in the end.
Diane
This is light fiction/romance despite the main character getting over the death of his twin sister as a child. Engaging characters and enough surprises for the genre. Three more pages to work things out with the girl.
John Price
I read about 10% of this, supposedly humorous, book and found nothing to even smile about, much have a good laugh. Since I did not finish it, I can't say others would not enjoy it but I need to be better entertained.
Kim Kudla
Was a slow read at first, I found Russell a tad annoying at first. Then the story picked up and I enjoyed the story a lot. Maybe it was once he started living his life, ditched the annoying girlfriend.
  • The Almost True Story of Ryan Fisher
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • Daisy Chain
  • Booth's Sister
  • Off the Record
  • Deadlock
  • Sushi for One?
  • Black Sea Affair (Navy Justice #4)
  • Exposure
  • The Homeplace
  • Daring Chloe
  • Amberville
  • Primitive
  • Shopping for Time: How to Do It All and Not Be Overwhelmed
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • More Blood, More Sweat and Another Cup of Tea
  • Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #1)
  • By Reason of Insanity
Return Policy The Beginning Of The End A Stand-Up Guy Poems Written Near a Laundromat Introduction to Microeconomics - Text

“If it takes night to make day, pain to know pleasure, black to make white, then doesn't it stand to reason that the depth of our friendships could be measured by the quality of our enemies?” 5 likes