Start by marking “The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  76 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Graphic novel guidance from two experts in the field.

Here is a clear, beginning-to-end guide to creating a graphic novel?from developing a concept to getting it to readers. Heavily illustrated, this book explains the tools used, demonstrates techniques, and offers tricks of the trade. Writers and illustrators alike will find it the best overall introduction to the world
Paperback, 2nd, 336 pages
Published November 3rd 2009 by Alpha (first published July 6th 2004)

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel

Wes Locher
Nat Gertler and Steve Lieber's "Idiot's Guide to Creating a Graphic Novel" starts off with a fantastic essay explaining that "Graphic Novel" is the new way to say "Comic Book" so that it doesn't scare off potential readers who think comics are for kids. It's utterly fantastic.

From there, the book tries to cover every aspect of putting together a comic without going into the depth that one might like. We touch on plotting here, scripting there, dialog over here, and penciling, inking, and colors
Jesse Stoddard
Dec 31, 2013 Jesse Stoddard rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. As someone not at all linked to this field, I was looking at it mostly out of curiosity. I had on obsession with drawing, cartooning, and animating at a very young age, and then for some reason stopped after my sophomore year in high school.

Maybe it was my guilt over all the wasted money on art supplies my parents spent on me, the many autographed comics I accumulated from conventions, or the countless hours in art classes and on converting serious school assignment
Jody Mabry
Jan 13, 2015 Jody Mabry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews
I wrote 5 graphic novels in the last 2 years and consider this book indispensable for the process. It works well as a beginner resource and for an expert who wants to occasionally look back through resources.
Barry
Aug 07, 2009 Barry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like I said, I didn't read this from cover to cover. I mainly read this because I have a few ideas for some graphic novels, and I was curious how I would go about writing. them. I would classify this as a kind of a text book. You read what you need to know and discard the rest. Since I don't have a drawing bone in my body, I didn't read the other half of the book that dealt with art work. I also didn't read the publishing section of the book because I have a tendiousy to freak out after I read a ...more
Greg Allan Holcomb
Lieber's one of the nicest guys in comics. And he knows his stuff. And other stuff. Like art and design and Charcoal and Vegetarianism.

Gertler's got a decent head on his shoulders.

The two make a good pair on a How-To Do Comics book and it's good that they're on the easiest to find book in the genre. This is the 3rd book I recommend on creating comics. It ranks behind Lurene Haines' awesome book and the dark Horse Submissions guide.

If this book was out before I got into comics I wouldn't've felt
John Graham
Oct 06, 2011 John Graham rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think it's true that you never know all the parts involved in the creative process until you try to create something. For those of you that would like to be a little more prepared as you set out to create your Graphic Novel, this is the book for you. This was recommended to me by a comic book creator and now I'm paying it forward by telling you how useful this book is. Great for anyone starting out in the comic world, or even those that may have hit a roadblock along the way.
Lynn
Aug 29, 2007 Lynn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those interested in making graphic novels.
Shelves: howtos
The book isn't as complete as it should be. There are helpful web links and valuable information in it. However, I feel it would have been more effective if it was laid like a graphic novel instead of a bunch of written words. Worth reading though.
The Baroness
The Baroness rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Joey
Joey marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Sheala
Sheala rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Hoboofawesome
Hoboofawesome marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Maurine Starkey
Maurine Starkey rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2015
Alex
Alex added it
Dec 17, 2015
Kristi
Kristi rated it it was amazing
Sep 06, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2015
Jay Ant
Jay Ant marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Joe
Joe added it
Jul 31, 2015
Jillian Puckett
Jillian Puckett rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2015
Timothy Bush
Timothy Bush rated it really liked it
Jul 19, 2015
April
April is currently reading it
Jul 17, 2015