Start by marking “Dead Line (Liz Carlyle, #4)” as Want to Read:
Dead Line (Liz Carlyle, #4)

Dead Line (Liz Carlyle #4)

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  671 ratings  ·  57 reviews
Here is the fourth installment in Stella Rimington’s series of thrilling novels that have at their center MI5 officer Liz Carlyle.

As plans get under way for a Middle East peace conference at the Gleneagles resort in Scotland, alarming information comes to MI5 from a high-ranking Syrian source: two individuals are mounting an operation to violently disrupt the conference an
Published June 29th 2010 by Knopf (first published January 11th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Line, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Line

Roderick Hart
This book is a thriller based on the British security service MI5. It is the fourth in a series dealing with the exploits of Liz Carlyle and is written by Stella Rimington, who ran MI5 in a previous existence. For this reason reviewers like to state that the books are realistic since the author knows the service from the inside. Which may or may not be true - but they cannot know without having been on the inside themselves.

Some reviews include mild complaints to the effect that the plots are a
To say I struggled to finish this book would be an understatement. Many a time I got tempted to just ditch it, however I really dislike doing that. I would love to say that I was glad I stuck with it, but I am sad to say it didn't get any better. I had a slight glimpse of hope in the last 50 pages or so that things were getting interesting, but then it just died back off to dull narrative.

I really dislike leaving a negative review of any book, and always try to write something positive about ev
Any Length
I did not like this book at all. No stars at all.
It was too slow moving, the chapters felt stilted and the back ground painted by the author for each scene felt false and unreal. The characters didn't feel right either. Peggy who was supposed to be a whiz with computers was more concerned with cooking a meal at the time of big pressure leading up to the conference. The background given to some of the other characters also felt "made up" and not natural. The plot was way too slow and all the chap
Kate Neilan
Liz Carlyle is in Counter Terrorism, at MI5. She's good at it, too. She's logical, methodical but also intuitive; she's learned to trust her instincts in her previous few cases, and that includes her relationships with coworkers.

Her immediate superior is Charles Wetherby; his wife is terminally ill so whatever might have been between them is dismissed by Liz as an impossibility. There's also the rakish scoundrel Geoffrey Fane, who always plays fair at work but nowhere else. Peggy is Liz's faithf
Henri Moreaux
I was drawn to this book by the blurb, it sounded like the basis for an exciting spy thriller. Sadly, whilst this book has the elements of an exciting spy thriller, it is far from such.

The narrative it at times rather dry and the plot isn't unique in terms of the method of getting to the climax, it's merely a rehash of the methods of a hundred other spy movies & books implemented in a way that makes you feel drowsy.

It's set in Britain so predictably there is no gun play, but there's also no
Dead Line is the fourth Stella Rimington novel centred on MI5 intelligence officer Liz Carlyle. However it can also be enjoyed as a stand-alone novel. I was somewhat disappointed by Rimington's last novel, Illegal Action, but with Dead Line she's back on form. This is a fast and enjoyable read.

The story centres on a plot to disrupt an upcoming Middle Eastern peace conference to be held at Gleneagles. It's an immediately intriguing storyline that quickly becomes complex, with many disparate threa
Valerie Andrews
I can't get enough of Stella Rimington's Liz Carlyle, a smart and spunky MI5 agent who juggles personal and professional intrigue with humanity and intelligence. As I finish one book, I eagerly anticipate the next one.

As the Israelis and Syrians prepare to sit down at a peace conference in Scotland with other world leaders determined to hammer out some type of accord, intelligence and counter-terrorism agencies work to ensure a peaceful conference. But a dead body in a church, a strangely-dresse
Tim Byron
Brief Chapters - not enough space to do serious character development - doesn't really gather momentum - no desire to read any more of the series
Carolyn Gwin
I'll probably finish the series but can't whole heartedly recommend to other spy/thriller book lovers. The author's background gives her novels huge credibility but so far her story lines are coming up short.
Jeff Crosby
Clever, well paced counter espionage tale. The book is not particularly suspenseful, but it has strong, interesting characters. The plot is effectiely driven by procedure.
Kay Rollison
Dame Stella Rimington is Chair of the judges for this year’s Man Booker Prize. She is a former Director General of MI5, Britain’s counter-espionage agency. She has written an autobiography called Open Secret, which apparently doesn’t give any away, and spy stories featuring Liz Carlyle, also of MI5. Since she will be judging writing, I thought I’d see how she goes about it herself.

Dead Line, published in 2008, is the fourth in the series. A Middle East peace conference is to be held at Gleneagle
Oct 23, 2010 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I picked this book up without knowing the author or any of her works. As a result, I found that it is at least a second book in a series using a continuing cast of characters. A condition I run into more often that one might suppose, not through laziness, but the desire to "select and go" - usually quickly. And so, I find someone whose work I like and could have started with book #1, but don't. (The Cece Caruso mystery series is another recent example.)

Usually this does not detract from my enjoy
Joe Robles
The fourth book in the Liz Carlyle series. This one is focussed around some sort of terrorist attack which is planned on a Middle East peace conference which is due to take place in Gleneagles, Scotland. For my review of the previous book in the series which was slow to start, I used a sporting analogy. To continue this theme I would have to describe the start of this book as being like Usain Bolt out of the blocks.

The pace of the story and the constantly changing answer to the question: Who is
I loved this book. It twisted and turned all over the place. Deciding who was a 'goodie' or a 'baddie' was difficult at times. The gathering at Gleneagles in Scotland was more or less the basis for this story. Everything was woven around this. Liz Carlisle was a very believable character as were others involved in her business.
I had my suspicions about Peggy for a while, I will not say if they were justified or not as I don't wish to spoil the story.
An excellent read.
I liked this one but not quite as much as I liked the first three. Frankly, I found this one a bit confusing and had a hard time remembering exactly who was part of which organization and who was working for whom. Of course, such confusion turned out to be the whole point of the story; so I guess it's not surprising that I was confused.
Craig Shier
Another good read from an authority on MI5.
Sketchy information, accidental relationships and interplay between UK and US intelligence services engage the reader in the effort to uncover a threat to a mid-east peace conference. Main characters are well drawn and sympathetic. Tense situations are presented so as to maintain interest throughout the story. The author has fun with the reader as well, not every bang or flash of light is a threat. The end is satisfying insofar as the mystery is concer
This is the second Liz Carlyle book I've read and to be honest it was a bit of a let-down. The story was a little confusing at times and for a so-called experienced officer, Carlyle seems quite naïve, i.e. venturing into situations without back-up or not noticing signs of potential threats that must be part of any officer's training.
Chrys Matthews
Worthwhile read

Well written and easy to read. Has heaps of twists and turns in the plot but rather predictable to the plots conclusion.
Carole Evans
It's a good secret service tale, not up to John le carre but it does hold your attention, I enjoy her books,
Like a crack addict I went back to Ms. Rimington, even though I had only moderately enjoyed the other two. This one just screamed "read me" and it was slightly less disappointing, but ultimately not enough to put the author into positive, 3+ star, territory. I wanted a light read and I got it --it just wasn't a good one. Liz Carlyle is a likable character and the MI5 procedural bits feel authentic, but the plot was too reminiscent of an earlier episode (rogue agent with Daddy issues) and the act ...more
Better than Others by this author
David Hull
Another thoroughly enjoyable LizCarlyle novel from seasoned pro, Stella Rimington. Thank you Ma'am!
David Highton
A few too many characters to confuse the picture, but a well developed climax
Stella Rimington was head of MI5, and this novel has an authenticity about it. Having said that, the life of a counter-espionage agent must be very boring with its interminable meetings. Liz Carlyle is an attractive heroine. Rimington's prose is clean and clear, but it lacks the nuances and tensions which make Gerald Seymour and John Le Carre so gripping. Having said that, one cannot fault the finale at Gleneagles as the Middle East Conference gets underway.
Started December 9th, 2013.
Not in the mood for the other book Closed Hearts I just started.
And finished. Better than her last one, no slow middle part.
Complex and given the political situation with Israel and Syria, as real as when it was written (aka nothing much has changed).
Hilary Lang Greenebaum
This was my first in the series and I enjoyed it, overall a bit complicated to keep track of who wore the white/balck hat but wasnt bored. Last week end there was an author profile in our newspaper so that made it all make sense! Stella Rimington was head of MI5 and really was a spy in real life. The book rings true in many small details as well as larger plots and intrigues. Well it feels authentic but I wouldn't really know!
I really like this series and Liz Carlyle as a character. Here Scotland's hosting a Middle Eastern peace conference, and MI5 has received warning that someone will try to disrupt it. Liz tries to figure who and how.

Not as much fun to read, since The Bad Guy is revealed to us pretty early on, but I still enjoy watching her work. I also like that she's honorable -- she's in love with her boss, but he's married, so she is silent.
  • Brandenburg Gate
  • The Doublecross Program (Star Risk, #3)
  • Shadows of War (Red Dragon Rising, #1)
  • Hope (Bernard Samson, #8)
  • The Voyage
  • Come and Take Them
  • Mariposa
  • More Than Honor/On Basilisk Station
  • The Trikon Deception
  • Trading Reality
  • Target Lancer (Nathan Heller, #16)
  • Pointblank (Starfist: Force Recon, #2)
  • Dead Spy Running (Legoland Trilogy, #1)
  • Liberation Day (Nick Stone, #5)
  • The Spanish Game (Alec Milius #2)
  • The Samurai Strategy
  • Galactic Bounty (Sam McCade, #1)
  • Bolo Strike
Dame Stella Whitehouse Rimington joined the Security Service (MI5) in 1968. During her career she worked in all the main fields of the Service: counter-subversion, counter-espionage and counter-terrorism. She was appointed Director General in 1992, the first woman to hold the post. She has written her autobiography and nine Liz Carlyle novels. She lives in London and Norfolk.

Watch a video of Stel
More about Stella Rimington...

Liz Carlyle (9 books)
  • At Risk (Liz Carlyle, #1)
  • Secret Asset (Liz Carlyle, #2)
  • Illegal Action (Liz Carlyle, #3)
  • Present Danger (Liz Carlyle, #5)
  • Rip Tide (Liz Carlyle, #6)
  • The Geneva Trap (Liz Carlyle, #7)
  • Close Call (Liz Carlyle, #8)
  • Breaking Cover (Liz Carlyle #9)

“carefully pulled himself up to look into the horizontal ventilation” 0 likes