Dead Line (Liz Carlyle, #4)

Dead Line (Liz Carlyle #4)

3.56 of 5 stars 3.56  ·  rating details  ·  415 ratings  ·  39 reviews
Here is the fourth installment in Stella Rimington’s series of thrilling novels that have at their center MI5 officer Liz Carlyle.

As plans get under way for a Middle East peace conference at the Gleneagles resort in Scotland, alarming information comes to MI5 from a high-ranking Syrian source: two individuals are mounting an operation to violently disrupt the conference an...more
Published June 29th 2010 by Knopf (first published January 11th 2005)

Roderick Hart
This book is a thriller based on the British security service MI5. It is the fourth in a series dealing with the exploits of Liz Carlyle and is written by Stella Rimington, who ran MI5 in a previous existence. For this reason reviewers like to state that the books are realistic since the author knows the service from the inside. Which may or may not be true - but they cannot know without having been on the inside themselves.

Some reviews include mild complaints to the effect that the plots are a...more
Kirsty
To say I struggled to finish this book would be an understatement. Many a time I got tempted to just ditch it, however I really dislike doing that. I would love to say that I was glad I stuck with it, but I am sad to say it didn't get any better. I had a slight glimpse of hope in the last 50 pages or so that things were getting interesting, but then it just died back off to dull narrative.

I really dislike leaving a negative review of any book, and always try to write something positive about ev...more
Kate Neilan
Liz Carlyle is in Counter Terrorism, at MI5. She's good at it, too. She's logical, methodical but also intuitive; she's learned to trust her instincts in her previous few cases, and that includes her relationships with coworkers.

Her immediate superior is Charles Wetherby; his wife is terminally ill so whatever might have been between them is dismissed by Liz as an impossibility. There's also the rakish scoundrel Geoffrey Fane, who always plays fair at work but nowhere else. Peggy is Liz's faithf...more
Any Length
I did not like this book at all. No stars at all.
It was too slow moving, the chapters felt stilted and the back ground painted by the author for each scene felt false and unreal. The characters didn't feel right either. Peggy who was supposed to be a whiz with computers was more concerned with cooking a meal at the time of big pressure leading up to the conference. The background given to some of the other characters also felt "made up" and not natural. The plot was way too slow and all the chap...more
Kay Rollison
Dame Stella Rimington is Chair of the judges for this year’s Man Booker Prize. She is a former Director General of MI5, Britain’s counter-espionage agency. She has written an autobiography called Open Secret, which apparently doesn’t give any away, and spy stories featuring Liz Carlyle, also of MI5. Since she will be judging writing, I thought I’d see how she goes about it herself.

Dead Line, published in 2008, is the fourth in the series. A Middle East peace conference is to be held at Gleneagle...more
Mike
Oct 23, 2010 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
I picked this book up without knowing the author or any of her works. As a result, I found that it is at least a second book in a series using a continuing cast of characters. A condition I run into more often that one might suppose, not through laziness, but the desire to "select and go" - usually quickly. And so, I find someone whose work I like and could have started with book #1, but don't. (The Cece Caruso mystery series is another recent example.)

Usually this does not detract from my enjoy...more
Joe Robles
Henri Moreaux
I was drawn to this book by the blurb, it sounded like the basis for an exciting spy thriller. Sadly, whilst this book has the elements of an exciting spy thriller, it is far from such.

The narrative it at times rather dry and the plot isn't unique in terms of the method of getting to the climax, it's merely a rehash of the methods of a hundred other spy movies & books implemented in a way that makes you feel drowsy.

It's set in Britain so predictably there is no gun play, but there's also no...more
Craig Shier
Another good read from an authority on MI5.
Sketchy information, accidental relationships and interplay between UK and US intelligence services engage the reader in the effort to uncover a threat to a mid-east peace conference. Main characters are well drawn and sympathetic. Tense situations are presented so as to maintain interest throughout the story. The author has fun with the reader as well, not every bang or flash of light is a threat. The end is satisfying insofar as the mystery is concer...more
Cathy
This is the second Liz Carlyle book I've read and to be honest it was a bit of a let-down. The story was a little confusing at times and for a so-called experienced officer, Carlyle seems quite naïve, i.e. venturing into situations without back-up or not noticing signs of potential threats that must be part of any officer's training.
Ted
Like a crack addict I went back to Ms. Rimington, even though I had only moderately enjoyed the other two. This one just screamed "read me" and it was slightly less disappointing, but ultimately not enough to put the author into positive, 3+ star, territory. I wanted a light read and I got it --it just wasn't a good one. Liz Carlyle is a likable character and the MI5 procedural bits feel authentic, but the plot was too reminiscent of an earlier episode (rogue agent with Daddy issues) and the act...more
Dianne
Stella Rimington was head of MI5, and this novel has an authenticity about it. Having said that, the life of a counter-espionage agent must be very boring with its interminable meetings. Liz Carlyle is an attractive heroine. Rimington's prose is clean and clear, but it lacks the nuances and tensions which make Gerald Seymour and John Le Carre so gripping. Having said that, one cannot fault the finale at Gleneagles as the Middle East Conference gets underway.
Ingo
Started December 9th, 2013.
Not in the mood for the other book Closed Hearts I just started.
And finished. Better than her last one, no slow middle part.
Complex and given the political situation with Israel and Syria, as real as when it was written (aka nothing much has changed).
Recommended.
Hilary Lang Greenebaum
This was my first in the series and I enjoyed it, overall a bit complicated to keep track of who wore the white/balck hat but wasnt bored. Last week end there was an author profile in our newspaper so that made it all make sense! Stella Rimington was head of MI5 and really was a spy in real life. The book rings true in many small details as well as larger plots and intrigues. Well it feels authentic but I wouldn't really know!
Joanne
I really like this series and Liz Carlyle as a character. Here Scotland's hosting a Middle Eastern peace conference, and MI5 has received warning that someone will try to disrupt it. Liz tries to figure who and how.

Not as much fun to read, since The Bad Guy is revealed to us pretty early on, but I still enjoy watching her work. I also like that she's honorable -- she's in love with her boss, but he's married, so she is silent.
Marian
I've enjoyed the Liz Carlyle series, but this one seemed lifeless. I was interested, I felt the tension in places but I felt as if I was reading a summary report that included Liz Carlyle's romance woes.

I will probably start another one to see if "Dead Line" was an anomaly .
Colin Galbraith
Scrapped at 51%. SO boring and with technical errors in the writing, I just can't find the will to continue. There is no compelling reason to believe these characters are 3D and the plot trudges along mercilessly. I was looking forward to finding a new author with a series I could get into - not so. Sorry Dame Stella.
JoTownhead
Contemporary spy mystery. MI5's Liz Carlyle plays a pivotal role in security service efforts to foil a threat to a Middle East peace conference. Complicated plotline with lots of characters (possibly too many) and a slight air of implausibility around the conference incident. A satisfying read, nevertheless.
Rob
I like the Liz Carlyle books and this had all the makings of a good story, but it just seemed like it had been rushed. There're some critical parts in the story and it just seems to scoot past them. Missed a trick with this one, in my opinion.
Dot
I thought there was something perhaps a bit naive about this book, compared to most spy novels, and certainly it is not as gritty at the UK tv show "MI5", but it has a good plot and the author builds suspense well.
George
An engaging holiday read, but too many characters. At times every chapter introduced new characters many of whom were extraneous to the story and where only there to provide a smokescreen.
Jo
This series is OK, but this one is pretty slow all through, no great suspense or twist since the bad guy and his motivation are exposed early, and the ending is rather ho-hum.
Jeff Crosby
Clever, well paced counter espionage tale. The book is not particularly suspenseful, but it has strong, interesting characters. The plot is effectiely driven by procedure.
Lynne
A good read on train journeys - the first of the series I have read. I like the central character and enjoyed the story. I'd definitely read more if they come my way.
Judith
I had very high expectations of Stella Rimington, since she worked for MI5, but this was just another crime story without anything to distinguish it.
SueDella
Never read this author before, I must be on a spy kick. Liked her style and knew she did her homework. Another good summer read.
Erin
Probably my least favorite installment in the series. She just seems determined to convince me that espionage is drudgery.
Marianne
Jul 19, 2010 Marianne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marianne by: beckma43@yahoo.com
Interesting. About Liz Carlyle, MI6 agent who foils a terrorist plot to disrupt peace talks held in Scotland.
Anne
The 4th book in a series about a woman who works in MI5. Like the series; like the lead character.
  • Brandenburg Gate
  • Day of Wrath
  • Mariposa
  • The Widow's Strike (Pike Logan, #4)
  • Overthrowing Heaven
  • The Disciple (Tommy Carmellini, #4)
  • The Wolf at the Door
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Starhawk (The Academy, #7)
  • Technokill (Starfist, #5)
  • Choosing Names: Man-Kzin Wars 8 (Man-Kzin Wars, #8)
  • Annihilation (Star Force, #7)
  • 23 Years on Fire (Cassandra Kresnov, #4)
  • Galactic Corps (Inheritance Trilogy, #2)
  • Tiger by the Tail (Paladin of Shadows, #6)
Dame Stella Whitehouse Rimington joined the Security Service (MI5) in 1968. During her career she worked in all the main fields of the Service: counter-subversion, counter-espionage and counter-terrorism. She was appointed Director General in 1992, the first woman to hold the post. She has written her autobiography and five Liz Carlyle novels. She lives in London and Norfolk.

Watch a video of Stel...more
More about Stella Rimington...
At Risk (Liz Carlyle, #1) Secret Asset (Liz Carlyle, #2) Illegal Action (Liz Carlyle, #3) Rip Tide (Liz Carlyle, #6) The Geneva Trap (Liz Carlyle, #7)