Start by marking “Night Shift (Night Tales, #1)” as Want to Read:
Night Shift (Night Tales, #1)

Night Shift (Night Tales #1)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,740 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT

The calls came like clockwork -- a cold, hate-filled voice telling late-night radio announcer Cilla O'Roarke that she was going to die. The never-ending threats had finally made her a believer. She was desperate -- desperate enough to accept police protection.

Cilla preferred to keep her distance from the police, and she had her reasons. But there w
Mass Market Paperback, Silhouette Intimate Moments #365, 250 pages
Published January 1st 1991 by Silhouette

To ask other readers questions about Night Shift, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night Shift

Mojca
It starts with (innocuous) phone calls into her radio show, then there are threats and phone calls to her home. Cilla O'Roarke has no choice but to turn to the cops...One cop in particular, Boyd Fletcher.

Nora Roberts is an acquired taste (for me). She isn't an author to like on the first take, and it took a while for me to really appreciate her. I needed to get used to her narrative style, so different from other authors out there. But I came to like her, though it usually still takes a couple o
Nandhini Sathyamurthy
Nora Roberts churns out a classic Romantic Thriller out of the two protagonists in this book. But rather than focusing on the thriller portion, a majority of the book goes off the track with the story of Cilla, her depressing past and her unstable feelings. Put an attractive looking detective investigating the case and the harassed female DJ who has voice of silk and POOF! - Nora Roberts manages to whip a romantic (At times, erotic) tale out of the blue. What is it with women getting lusty over ...more
faeriemyst
Short synopsis: A deejay, Cilla O'Roarke, in Denver starts getting calls from some creepazoid whose threats intensify with every phone call. The police enter the scene, one of which is Boyd Fletcher, who immediately falls for Cilla. So begins the romance.

Written for Silhouette's Intimate Moments line, Night Shift is an early Nora Roberts' romance and the first in the Night Tales series. While I didn't expect to be blown away by the story, I was hoping to be passably entertained. Unfortunately, t
Saly
Really enjoyed this, our heroine Cilla has two things in life she cares about her job as a RJ and her sister who she is putting through college and she hates cops though not for the reasons we think, as we learn later her mother was one.

So, she is not happy when the police comes to help her, when a caller becomes threatening and persistent. Boyd is one of the cops on the case and he makes her feel things that even her ex-husband didn't. I really liked that the hero fell for her so badly, that he
Late To Romance
An oldy (early nighties) from Nora Roberts. The blurb sucked me in. Vulnerable female radio DJ receiving death threats. Attractive detective comes to her aid.
I have to admire how deftly the author sets up the story- within a few pages she has covered the heroine’s career, her family life, the recent threats to her life and introduced the hero.
However the book has not aged well when it comes to the hero. Some of the more objectionable examples of his behavior
- He is assigned to x’s case- immedia
Samyann
The audiobook version of Night Shift is just over seven hours of listening, narrated by Kate Rudd.

Character development is problematic with this story. Both main characters come across as over-the-top and sweaty romance-novel corny. The type-A cop is strong, gritty, handsome, hunky, patronizing. The female lead is vulnerable, swooney, with transparent infusions of inner strength mixed with girly-virginal dependence. Sound familiar? “You Tarzan, me stupid” is actually phrase in the book … meh. It
Marian
Oct 20, 2014 Marian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Each one in this series gets better than the next, and I thought that was impossible.
Kiady
Jul 17, 2014 Kiady rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Night Shift is the story of radio announcer Cilla O'Roarke. Cilla has a soothing and powerful voice with which she lures her listeners during her night shift. She enjoys the job she got at the KHP station when she opted not to go to college. However, she finds herself distress when she begins receiving mysterious calls from a stranger who threatens to kill her. The calls are each time more terrifying and frequent making the station manager let the police take part on the issue. When the police g ...more
Ning

อานแลวระลึกความหลังวัยเยาวดีเหมือนกัน

Melis
Jun 19, 2013 Melis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlequin, 2013
Vücudumun her yeri Noraaaa diye bağıyor valla. Resmen her köşemden Nora'nın muhteşem karakterleri - özellikle erkekler - fışkırıyor :D Kesinlikle bu kadına hastayım ben. Ne yazsa okunur yeminlen. Ve bu kitap içinde söyleyeceğim şey; Boyd seni bi kaşıkta yemek istiyorum :D
Tonya Warner
Cilla O'Roarke finds that her night shift as a DJ at the local radio station is taking a scary turn. Opening up the lines each night, she now has a stalker making threats on the phone. Death threats. The police are called in, and she finds herself both drawn and put off by Boyd Fletcher.

Boyd Fletcher is a cop because he wants to be, not because he has to be. The latest assignment has him in the path of Cilla. More than just a voice on the radio, he is drawn to the woman inside. But the battle in
Esra
Oct 16, 2014 Esra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: harlequin
Linda Howard romanları gibiydi biraz da eve dallas serisini hatırlatıyordu çoook beğendim.. Ehh Nora olunca beğenmemek mümkün değil zaten :D
ms bookjunkie
Story: Old skool NR. Old tech, smoking. A little jarring, but a comfort read. 4 stars

Narration: I have to admit that overall, this narrator doesn't work for me. There are times when I think that her basic narrative is pleasant on the ear, as are her male voices, but whenever the plot gets exciting her voice gets mildly shrill and it ruins the experience for me. Her heroines especially have the worst voices. I didn't notice accents so either there are none or they are subtle and appropriate. Conc
Delia Binder
Boulder, CO radio DJ Cilla O'Roarke starts getting crank calls and pranks that get increasingly threatening - so when her Station Manager calls the Boulder PD, they take it seriously enough to send a team of Lieutenants(!) to help her. One of them, Boyd Fletcher, is a good-looking guy from a wealthy family as well as a cop - all the things Cilla's suspicious of! All she wants is to get her life back DJ'ing and taking care of her younger sister Deb, who's studying to a lawyer - she doesn't have t ...more
Michaela
Cilla O'Roarke is a DJ. She works the night shift and enjoys it. Or at least she does until she starts getting the scary phonecalls from a man who threatens to kill her. At first, she tries to brush it off but as the threats get more and more vicious, Cilla realizes that her life really is in grave danger. The police get involved and with the arrival of Detective Boyd Fletcher, Cilla's life gets even more complicated.

I enjoyed this book mainly because of Boyd Fletcher. He's a very intriguing man
Devin Lind
NB: contains spoilers.

This story was so unbelievable, gross and sexist! The two following points are what really turned me off this story:

1: a police officer who investigates the case of a woman who's being harassed by an unknown man falls in love with said woman and pretty much forces his intimacy onto her.

2: said woman seems fine with being treated this way, and falls for the guy.

*shudders*
Maddy
Jul 17, 2015 Maddy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ahh, 1990, when your heroine can convey her nervousness by smoking and it's all good. Even though her love interest recently quit smoking.

Since the happy fictitious couple has now been married 25 years (or more, if this was set pre-1990 because the sister's book, set about 10 years later, was written the next year), I'm pretty sure one of them is in fictitious lung cancer heaven right now.
Mahita
Feb 13, 2015 Mahita rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As usual, Nora Roberts weaves a web of passion around stubborn protagonists in a heart touching, romantic tale that sure squeezes your heart. Despite her numerous novels, she manages to still weave emotion through a simple back ground, unraveling characters as though they were quite real, playing their script right before your eyes.

A definite read for all the romantic hearts!!
Swanbender2001
Jun 25, 2016 Swanbender2001 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find myself totally involved in a romance written by Roberts as she is able to pull all my strings and satisfy everything I need to have satisfied without causing an irritation I have had when reading other romances by other authors. Even when there is hesitation on the part of a character written by Roberts it is done with strength around it instead of whimpering insecurity.
Chris Birdy
Aug 21, 2015 Chris Birdy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely not one of Nora Roberts best. A radio DJ, Cilla O'Roarke, works the night shift and starts getting threats. The police get involved and she meets the handsome, super-rich detective, Boyd. He quickly falls in love with her without much reason or justification. This was a tough one to swallow.
Laura Elizabeth
Feb 02, 2016 Laura Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-4-stars
This was my favorite of the Night Shift series!

Cilla, a radio announcer, starts getting threats and ominous calls. So she has no choice but get the police involved, in particular, Boyd Fletcher.

I liked this one so much! It was realistic, it was romantic suspense at its best!

Happy reading!
Xiki71
Apr 30, 2014 Xiki71 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
No está mal. Es entretenido y dentro de los harlequines de Nora Roberts, de los mejores que he leido. Pero eso sí, no esperéis cosas modernas, con este libro volvemos a principios de los noventa cuando aun pululaban por ahí los vinilos, las cabinas telefónicas y las protagonistas de novela romática fumaban un cigarrillo tras otro.
Para pasar el día no está mal
Carine Gomes
Dec 31, 2014 Carine Gomes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
O que dizer: mais um livro da Nora Roberts que me surpreendeu e cativou. Assim como aconteceu com "Pecados Sagrados" e "Virtude Indecente", seus personagens me conquistaram, é como se conseguíssemos vê-los, em carne e osso, na nossa frente. E isso é incrível! Por este primeiro volume, a "Série Noturna" promete muitas horas de uma leitura fácil e cativante!
Maura
Liza Wiemer
Book one in the series. Yup, I'm sucked into another Nora Roberts series. Book two, with the Nemesis and Deborah (the public defender) so far is my favorite. But I liked Night Shift too, and will read every last one of them!
Jen
Jun 09, 2014 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nora-roberts
Cilla O'Rourke is a late night DJ who's being harassed and threatened by a listener. Boyd Fletcher is the detective called in to investigate. Cilla and Boyd are great characters who have their flaws but that's what makes them good. The relationship between the two was believable and the story was good.
Alex
Jul 29, 2015 Alex rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crap
I'm giving this 3 stars for likability but really, I find Nora Roberts to be tedious. I've read better composed fanfic than her novels (including fanfic with fewer typos than a Roberts' novel). Really, the whole time I was reading I kept comparing it to fan fiction. Should that be the bar to which we hold published works? Really?

In any event, it was an extremely fast read. The story was compelling enough, the sex stuff was totally heavy handed and eye roll worthy and the grammar was just bad (Ro
Virginia Markhart
Nov 26, 2015 Virginia Markhart rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
First in a series. I just did not like the whole thing. Felt like the relationship was rushed. Not exactly looking forward to reading the rest of the series, but I already have them so....
Joy Naitore
Jul 04, 2015 Joy Naitore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-bookshelf
A romance story and Nora Roberts is one author I thought I will get enough of her writing in one book but I can't. I keep on going back to her even if I am not a romance freak. But she is awesome.
Jennifer Lazareck
May 03, 2015 Jennifer Lazareck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder mystery and slightly dated 1991 chick lit. I loved the Rock n Roll references throughout. Good times.
  • Royal's Child (The Justice Way, #3)
  • Her Mother's Killer
  • Colorado Abduction (Christmas at the Carlisles, #1)
  • Baby Twins: Parents Needed
  • Beguiled (Men to the Rescue #1)
  • Temperature's Rising
  • Carol's Image (Fairfield #3)
  • Finally Home
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • The Duke's Boardroom Affair (Royal Seductions, #4)
  • Revelation (Iris, #3)
  • The Morning Side of Dawn (Holt, #3)
  • Bad Boys Over Easy
  • Shadow of Doubt (Robyn Hunter, #5)
  • Danger Zone
  • Crazy for You
  • Venice (Richard and Rose, #3)
  • The Shifter and the Dreamer (Secrets, #1)
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

Night Tales (6 books)
  • Night Shadow (Night Tales, #2)
  • Nightshade (Night Tales, #3)
  • Night Smoke (Night Tales, #4)
  • Night Shield (Night Tales, #5)
  • Night Moves