Gone (Dream Catcher, #3)

Gone (Dream Catcher #3)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  19,851 ratings  ·  1,638 reviews
Things should be great for Janie—she has graduated from high school and is spending her summer with Cabel, the guy she’s totally in love with. But deep down she’s panicking about how she’s going to survive her future when getting sucked into other people’s dreams is really starting to take its toll.
Things get even more complicated when she meets her father for the very fir...more
Published February 9th 2010 by Simon Pulse

Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsSpirit Bound by Richelle MeadDead in the Family by Charlaine HarrisLinger by Maggie StiefvaterClockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare
Can't Wait Books of 2010
16th out of 1,185 books — 10,700 voters
Mockingjay by Suzanne CollinsCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Angel by Cassandra ClareLinger by Maggie StiefvaterSpirit Bound by Richelle Mead
YA Books of 2010 & 2011 I'm LIVING to read!!
17th out of 1,136 books — 6,236 voters

More lists with this book...

Tatiana
Feb 11, 2010 Tatiana rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: only hardcore fans who are not afraid to be disappointed
Didn't want to believe negative reviews, but alas, the book IS actually bad.

My opinion doesn't have anything to do with the ending, even though so many are upset about it, but rather with the fact that the novel is just simply badly written. Who would have thought that McMann, a master of succinct and intense writing, can cook up a book which, with its 214 pages, seems so overlong, pointless and emotionless? Who would have thought I'd have to skim over some pages to be finally done with it?

There...more
Katieb (MundieMoms)
I loved it! I won't say more and post any spoilers other than I think Lisa did a great job with they way the series finished off. And no, that's not giving anything away. All I can say is that those who loved Wake and Fade need to pre-order it now.

GONE is about Janie's journey into figuring out more of who she is as a dream catcher and finding more out about herself. She'll learn about how she got her abilities as she finds out more about the man who's dreams she keeps getting sucked into, as...more
Flannery

Now, I'm not saying that length and quality are completely connected. (they're definitely not) All I am saying here is that the entire Dream Catcher series is shorter than many adult novels and is half the length of some middle grade series. There just isn't much going on--and there wasn't enough substance for me. Sure, I enjoyed the writing. Sure, I thought the story was interesting. But when it came to writing a review, I felt like there just wasn't enough. This series is the first where I jus...more
Heather
Feb 10, 2010 Heather rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2010, ya
*Note* don’t read this if you want to avoid spoilers.

I will begin by stating that I was not expecting this series to improve. I loved Wake and Fade to the point where I would have been content, nay, delighted, if I simply got more of the same in Gone. Much to my dismay, Gone fails in comparison to both its predecessors.

Beef number one. Like Wake and Fade, Gone is told in the present tense from Janie’s point of view, but unlike the previous two books of the series, there is no crime solving subpl...more
Rosanne
Kind of dissapointed in this one. After such a long wait, and a real appreciation for the first two, I expected more. I love the writing style and the characters in this series, but this book did not really advance the overall plot and both Janie and Cabel are not very likable here. They seem to have taken steps back instead of forward, which I understand is part of life sometimes, but it seems a strange choice for the conclusion to a series.

Janie is miserable almost all the time in this book,...more
Baby T-Rex
This book is super short - a bit over 200 pages - and there is just not that much that actually happens. A lot of characterization but not much plot. What IS there is good, but I felt like it could have been so much better.

The storyline of Janie finding her father felt more like a subplot than the complete plot. I think the book would have been 5 stars if, like in the first two books, there had been a mystery or crime to solve, with this plot about her family and her future woven into it. If th...more
kari
Jun 02, 2010 kari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: ya, 2010, 5-star
Great ending to a terrific series.
This final story about Janie, the dreamcatcher, and Cabel, the boy who loves her, doesn't disappoint. This one doesn't have the crime plotline of the first two books, but instead deals with the mystery of Janie's past and future. Her choices are even more devastating than she thought they were and she perpares to make heartbreaking choices.
We get to know a little about Janie's father and small bits about her mother as well. The time stamps on each section works...more
Nicola Mansfield
Reason for Reading: Next (and last) in the series.

Summary: Janie has been left with a decision to make about her future and concentrates on making that decision. However, a wrench is thrown into her contemplations when her never before known father shows up in ICU causing her alcoholic mother to go off the deep end and add a twist to her previous choice. Now she must decide which is lesser of two evils.

Comments: Right of the bat I'll say this was rather disappointing. For a good portion of the b...more
Darkfallen
This is definately my favorite in the series. With every book I felt that hole of despair building in my chest, only to never actually break. While each book was a good fast read, it just never seemed to take that leap that I needed.

The tears just never quite made it.

And then......Yep yep thats right I CRIED!!! I finally broke, and I welcomed every tear.

This book just seemed to go a little deeper. While the first two stayed relitively close to the surface, this one dived straight down. The emo...more
Chichipio
Reading this book took no time at all. Especially because I picked it up right after finishing Fade so, besides it being so short, since the story continues almost without interruption, there wasn't any need to slow down at the beginning.

Before anything else, let's get something out of the way: the meat of the trilogy is in Fade. The ending there could (should?) have been that of the whole series. This one reads like a long epilogue, revisiting and reaffirming some decisions that had already bee...more
Carie
This is one of the strangest trilogies I've read! Almost seems like each book in the trilogy is from a different genre, though each has the same main characters and core situations. The first book is like a paranormal/fantasy romance, the second a detective thriller, and the third is like a teen social issues book. I didn't like the third book as much as the other two (I liked the first one best), though I still read it in record time. Kind of a maudlin and depressing book, dealing more with fam...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Lesley for TeensReadToo.com

In the final installment of Lisa McMann's DREAM CATCHER trilogy, Janie finds herself in a dilemma a little closer to home.

Janie receives a phone call that her mother is in the hospital. Once there, she discovers it is not her mother that needs help, but a mysterious man in a coma who seems to be calling to her from his dreams.

By her side is her boyfriend, Cabel, who tries to help her as much as he can. When he starts to have terrifying dreams, Janie becomes...more
Jacqui
I'm finding it to be more and more common for YA series to end poorly. It seems like Lisa McMann, like a few other authors, got sloppy by the third book and stopped trying, because she knew that anyone who loved the first 2 books, would automatically want to read this one! Well, don't waste your time! I suggest reading some of the spoiler reviews instead.

The concept was there.. but it was the kind of book that I wanted to skim through to get to the point. This book has WAY too much "poor me.. my...more
Summer Raine
I wasn't thinking much when I first opened up Gone. I read Wake and Fade much too long ago to remember anything but the main details of the books. There must have been something I liked about those books, since I had Gone on my list of "to-reads", but unfortunately, Gone did not help me figure out why I had it on my list.

Lisa McMann's style of writing is unique and very different from what I'm used to reading. I find nothing wrong with the style in her previous two books, but it irked me for som...more
Krystle
I think I distanced myself from this book for long enough. And my only words can be, "what the hell happened?" What happened to the wonderful fast paced plots that had me on the edge of my seat? What happened to all the characters I fell in love with? Well, they were "gone", how appropriately named this book is.

The majority ends up being some major angsty emo-fest between Janie and Cabel. The reason why I loved their relationship in the beginning because they were able to work through their past...more
Olivia
Crystal
Connie Harrison
Leah
Lexxie
This was exctremely sad, and often bittersweet, and it took me in some surprising directions, and some obvious directions.

Janie really carried the world on her shoulders, and even when she thought she'd found the perfect solution to her little problem, she realized that the fork was a lot worse than what she had thought in the beginning. And really good for her that Cabe was always so patient!

Captain was great, a real mother-figure for Janie, and my goodness, did she need one.

The end was bitters...more
Arlene
Gone by Lisa McMann marks the final installment to the Wake Series. It was bitter-sweet to finish this book, as I was excited to continue with Janie and Cabel’s journey, but very sad to see it come to a close. This book was somewhat different than the first two as I saw a shift in Janie’s character. From the narrative and her reaction to various situations, I sensed an edge and frustration that she kept concealed in the first two books.

It was great to see Cabel as he’s always been; supportive,...more
Tina
Original post at One More Page

I thought I reviewed the first two books in the Dream Catcher series on my personal blog, but I was mistaken, so the review of the third book would have to have some kind of recap of the first two.

The Dream Catcher series by Lisa McMann is about Janie Hannagan, who has the strange ability to get into other people's dreams. The series deals with Janie and dealing with her strange ability, the people around her, her relationships and the uses of her powers. In the fir...more
Sab H.  (YA Bliss)
Definitely not the ending I was hoping for. However, maybe it was the fact that I'm so in love with the first two books thus with the characters and that made me enjoy this one as well. The father twist was certainly surprising, and her whining got tiresome at times but I could totally understand her. Plus, Cabel... he's my number one book crush of all times. So I'm pretty faithful to the series.

I do accept that I liked first two books much much more than this one, specially book 2 (FADE) but I...more
Okapi
After the success of its predecessors, including the unbearable suspense in Fade, I expected a thrilling novel that brilliantly concludes the Wake series, something that could maybe top 4 hoots. Alas, Gone is a giant letdown that fills me with disappointment.

The entire book involves Janie debating her life, and her thoughts get repetitive very quickly. I'm not a fan of her fights with Cabel, since his absences began to increase, and their interesting relationship is part of what makes the serie...more
Loni Flowers
GONE is about Janie and her journey to figuring out where her abilities came from. She has the worst dreams of all in this book and has to learn how to deal with them and help the one person who needs her help the most.
There were times were I was frustrated at Janie. The choices she made I couldn't understand. They weren't very logical to me but still and found myself wanting to smack her sometimes!
Cabel...ahhh Cabe! What is not to love about Cabe?? He is even more awesome and sweet in GONE. He...more
Marija
After reading the first few pages of Gone, I was completely taken aback, my first thought being: Who are these people? The first third of the book reads like a farce, the characters merely playacting. In Wake and especially in Fade, Janie and Cabel are seemingly mature, trying to cope with their individual problems and learning how to deal with them together. In Gone, however, it just seems like they’re ignoring the problems rather than confronting them.

The book begins with Cabel and Janie on v...more
Meredith
This trilogy goes fast. I started it after dinner last night and didn't finish before bed only because I decided to take a break and do some writing. The entire series is approximately 600 pages in length -- 600 pages of staccato, sparse prose and generous white space, mind you. Each book took me only an hour or two to read.

If you think your high school job sucked, try being a dream catcher like Janie sometime. The caloric drains, the rapid decline of your eyesight, the forced isolation from oth...more
Kate
Nov 15, 2009 Kate rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kate by: Tammy
Shelves: 2009, age-ya, paranormal, arcs
I got this as an ARC from my friend Tammy at the Toadstool Bookshop.

This was an interesting conclusion to the Dream Catcher trilogy. While the first two books, Wake and Fade were both mysteries with a supernatural twist, this book takes the emotional subplots of the first two and ties up the loose ends.

Janie thought she'd be okay with her life as a Dream Catcher, despite knowing that she would go blind in her early twenties and lose the use of her hands by her early thirties. She thought it'd...more
Julie Anderson
Truly it should be rated lower, but I like the characters too much to downgrade it.

Really disappointing! Very predictable! I feel like the writer doesn't like to write. This book could have been so much better had she expanded on some...no I take that back...all of the details. For example, she finds letters written to her mother and it doesn't mention what is said. Another example is that there is a reunion between two characters and the author writes that they talked all night, but doesn't te...more
Bottom Line – If you can almost, forget that you read Wake and Fade – and go into reading this book like it's a stand alone, with the same characters – like a companion book might be – I think you will like Gone, if you can't – it's tough to get around the differences. (Though you will need to read Wake and Fade before picking up Gone, there's not much back story in Gone, and I think you would be lost.) I for one, was able to almost forget about Wake and Fade, since it had been so long since I r...more
Young Adult Book ...: Gone 9 43 Feb 26, 2012 09:29PM
WHO WILL DIE?????? 27 103 Feb 26, 2012 12:15PM
  • Jekel Loves Hyde
  • Deadly Little Lies (Touch, #2)
  • Sleepless
  • Soulstice (The Devouring, #2)
  • Echoes (Fingerprints, #1-3)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • The Chaos (Numbers, #2)
  • Captivate (Need, #2)
  • Sweep: Volume 5 (Sweep, #13-15)
  • The Back Door of Midnight (Dark Secrets, #5)
  • Undead Much (Megan Berry, #2)
  • Kisses and Lies (Scarlett Wakefield, #2)
  • Dark Flame (The Immortals, #4)
  • Darklight (Wondrous Strange, #2)
  • Fragile Eternity (Wicked Lovely, #3)
  • Guardian of the Gate (Prophecy of the Sisters, #2)
  • Bleeding Violet
  • Devoured
Lisa McMann lives and writes in the Phoenix area. Her books include the NYT bestselling paranormal WAKE trilogy, CRYER'S CROSS, DEAD TO YOU, and the dystopian fantasy series beginning with THE UNWANTEDS. (Book 2, Unwanteds: ISLAND OF SILENCE, comes out Sept 4, 2012).

You can find more info at Lisa'a website, lisamcmann.com, interact with her on Facebook or Twitter, or ask questions and find answer...more
More about Lisa McMann...
Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) Fade (Dream Catcher, #2) The Unwanteds (Unwanteds, #1) Cryer's Cross Dead to You

“Hey Cabe?" she says, drying her hair, feeling refreshed. Grinning. Putting all thoughts but one aside for the moment. "You wanna go get Jimmy a raincoat and we'll take care of you?"
Cabel looks at her.
Turns his head and narrows his eyes.
Who the hell is Jimmy?”