Start by marking “The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square” as Want to Read:
The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square

The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,012 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
From the author of Tied to the Tracks comes a charming new novel set in Lambert's Corner, South Carolina-a beautiful town where no one's secrets remain secret for very long. For John Dodge, moving to new places and reviving ailing businesses is a way of life. So when he sees an ad for Scriveners, a stationery shop in a small town in South Carolina, he decides to take the p ...more
Published February 14th 2008 by Putnam Adult (first published February 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square

Alisha
Jan 12, 2010 Alisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The story takes place in a fictional town of Lamb's Corner in Southern Carolina. Typical of a southern town, population of around 6000, all the residence of the town are born and raised. All in their late 50s and up with the exception of a hand full of 35-40 aged people.

The town is struggling to survive till an automotive company from Sweden comes to build a factory with which to build it's cars to sell in the States. Thus providing the town with more jobs and a higher population, bringing in mo
Kellie
Feb 08, 2009 Kellie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This book's biggest problem is that none of the main characters are particularly likable or sympathetic. Dodge comes across as manipulative and insincere. Julia comes across as cold and secretive. In an attempt to build suspense, much of Julia's back-story is not revealed until the final quarter of the book – too late to wring any pity from the reader. The love story is unoriginal and the (admittedly steamy) sex scenes are probably the only interesting passages in the book. Even the happy ending ...more
*Christie*
Sep 25, 2009 *Christie* rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I should almost abstain from giving this book a star rating considering the post surgical drug induced state in which I read the first 15 pages and thought that Dodge character was a dog being persosnified. Nevertheless, I always have an opinion.

I thought the town of Lamb's Corner was charming. It, in and of itself my favorite character. It was the most relatable certainly.

Problems: the construction of the book was poorly executed, the characters were too abundant to develop strong feelings for
Susan E
May 14, 2008 Susan E rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008-read
I am a fan of Rosina, who has written some of my all-time favorite historical novels, The Wilderness Series, under her pen name, Sara Donati. And I loved Homestead, her first book under her real name. And I read her weblog, and want to support her, so I bought this book, hardcover and new, which I seldom do (except for her Wilderness books, which bought new/hardcover, knowing I will read them over and over.)

I appreciate that someone who had committed to writing a historically-accurate series mig
Mary
Nov 12, 2008 Mary rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Julia runs a fine linen shop in a small South Carolina town of Lamb's Corner. It suits her well as she recovers from the death of her young husband.
John Dodge moves from town to town rehabbing failing businesses. He never stays in one town for longer than two years and is happy with that lifestyle. Then he takes over a collectible pen shop in Lamb's Corner, South Carolina, meets Julia and his life changes forever.
This was a fun, small-town, sexy romance just perfect for snuggling up with on a co
Book Concierge
After Julia Darrow is widowed, she moves to the small South Carolina town where her architect husband had designed and built a multi-use renovation of an abandoned plant. She now owns and operates Cocoon, a high-end boutique selling fine linens. Julia and her sales staff always wear beautiful pajamas when working. John Dodge comes to town when he buys a failing pen / stationery store; he specializes in buying small businesses, turning them around, selling them and moving on. But the attraction b ...more
Andrea
Jun 15, 2009 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
sounds like a comforting read:

[close:] From the author of Tied to the Tracks comes a charming new novel set in Lambert's Corner, South Carolina-a beautiful town where no one's secrets remain secret for very long.

As soon as he arrives in Lambert's Corner, Dodge falls happily into the whirl o
Maxine Dulaney
main characters: Julia Darrow, John Dodge

I would not say this is a great book. It was entertaining. Julia's character is a little unbelievable at times. The story reminds me of the books about the minister in a small town - can't remember the name right off. There are a lot of characters and a subplot about one of the characters who works in the linen shop and her relationship with a Swedish man who is working for an auto manufacturer that is opening a plant in the town.
Dodge travels around the
NancyInWI
Jul 21, 2010 NancyInWI rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pbs, chick-lit
I plodded through this book, wondering why so many people gave it 5 stars. First, I was put off by the sudden and gratuitous sex in the firwst 70 pages of the book. The female protagonist had barely met the male protagonist and they were already having steamy animal sex on stairways!
The middle of the book was boring, with too many characters to keep straight without any development at all.
The end was nice...the last 20 pages of the book were the best part, but I wouldn't recommend going through
Sandie
Welcome to Lamb’s Corner, South Carolina, a town with loving and somewhat eccentric inhabitants and a main square filled with shops as quirky and unusual as the folks who work in them. John Dodge, an itinerant entrepreneur who buys failing businesses makes them successful and then moves on, has arrived in town following his latest purchase, a collectible pen store in Lambert Square previously owned by Bob Lee Cowpers whose parting gesture was to provide Dodge with short written character sketche ...more
Kathryn
May 16, 2010 Kathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
What a great book. This little town is full of great shops, quirky shop owners, and fun townsfolk. At the Cocoon shop where they sell linens and pajamas, everyone that works there wears pajamas. How fun is that? This southern lit book is delightful, with a couple of characters it mainly focuses on who end up with a bit more complication in their lives than I first realized. Even the ending was a nice surprise...
Susan
Aug 02, 2009 Susan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The plight of the main character was the only thing that kept me reading. (I'm trying not to reveal too much.) There were holes in John Dodge's back story as well as other aspects of the Kallesjo subplot. I also found the numerous community members hard to keep straight. Bean was an enjoyable character, as was some of the inter-play between Dodge and his sister. But the resolution seemed a bit unrealistic.
Krista
Mar 13, 2009 Krista rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started this one I wasn't sure. Then I liked it. Then I wasn't sure again. By the middle I decided I was enjoying this story very much. Light and enjoyable for those times when that's just what you need. (Like after Atlas Shrugged.)
Suzanne
Dec 21, 2009 Suzanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun, quick read - didn't want to put it down! Is it predictable? Why, yes; it all ends happily ever after. But how you get there is always unpredictable, and it is exactly that that makes this book so enjoyable.
Jeana
Sep 25, 2009 Jeana rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-books
I simply cannot believe that this Lambert Square could possibly ever be a real place (and I come from a small town). None of the characters seemed real, and nothing that happened seemed like they would ever happen.
Peggy
Oct 15, 2009 Peggy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I liked the way more information about the characters was revealed as you progressed through the book instead of hitting you with all the information at the beginning of the book.
Kristina
Feb 25, 2010 Kristina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful novel, reminding us all that we can not run from our problems but at some point we must turn around and face them, but it is always easier to do so with someone we love beside us.
Erin
May 05, 2014 Erin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like other reviewers I found the characters unlikable. The whole story made no sense to me. A woman who wears pajamas all the time? Um, ok. And goes around barefoot outside walking her dog? Dodge and Julia hop into bed pdq and nothing really happens from there. Boring, utterly predictable scenes in the store and local cafe. The phone calls between Dodge and his sister seemed to have no point other than to fill in background, a pretty tired device, IMO.

I quit reading about 1/2 way through. I tot
LizH
Feb 07, 2009 LizH rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was fantastic! Loved the characters and the setting, and just wanted to be in the town with all these people. I didn't want this to end!
Toby
Apr 30, 2016 Toby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book by Sara Donati (aka Rosina Lippi) that I've read this year and she is rapidly becoming a favorite author. Though I don't rate this one quite as highly as THE GILDED HOUR, what I recognize most is the same depth and dimension in all the characters, even though the two plots couldn't be more different.

This time, the two main characters are Julia Darrow, a young widow running late a fancy linen shop (including pajamas) in the small Southern town of Lambert Square, and John
Kris - My Novelesque Life
2.5 STARS

"For John Dodge, moving to new places and reviving ailing businesses is a way of life. So when he sees an ad for Scriveners, a stationery shop in a small town in South Carolina, he decides to take the plunge.

As soon as he arrives in Lambert's Corner, Dodge falls happily into the whirl of gossip, gifts, and quintessential Southern hospitality. Link Kay, one of his employees, warms up to him after Dodge admires his expertise on pens. Bean Hurt-a feisty and outspoken ten-year-old-becomes a
Marleen
Aug 27, 2012 Marleen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was not the book I expected it to be. Honestly, from the book-blurb, I thought it would be more authentic and picturesque, and also more funny – and I had hoped the characters more quirky and genuine. I wish I could give a three stars, but it's a deserving 2,5.
It’s not that I disliked the book, on the contrary, there were a few elements present that made this book interesting. I especially liked the main character of John Adams Dodge, and how he related to his family, friends and neighbors.
Susan
The Pajama Girls of Lambert Square is the hilarious story of a cast of quirky characters set in small town South Carolina. It's contemporary, regional chicklit at its very best, complete with half-baked rumors, Southern-style deference, and an abundance of charming but eccentric characters.

John Dodge is a traveling man, reviving ailing around the country to flip for a profit. When he finds himself in Lamb's Corner, South Carolina, to take over a stationery store, he is greeted by sweet, souther
Leya
Feb 08, 2013 Leya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn right from the beginning. I just couldn't help it. I enjoyed every single little bit. The setting, even a fictional one, was superb. The characters were funny, engaging, friendly and full of southern charm. Who wouldn't want to visit Lambert Square?

The character that I enjoyed the most (of course) was Julia. On the outside she seems to be in control, strong, self assured and a keen business women, but throughout the book you see that she's slowly falling apart and that she's quite c
Amanda
May 13, 2009 Amanda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rrwc-book-club
Done 1 week early for May's book club!! Ok, I finished this at 3:30am this morning. What can I say - I get into a good book and I just can't put it down. Needless to say, I slept in and worked from home today :)

This is a great book. It delves into the south and has a good southern feel, even for a fictional location. It really gets into the emotions of life in a small town and everything (good and bad) that comes with it. There's a little bit of everything that you want in a good love story, too
Amy
Jan 09, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: like this author as Sara Donati
Shelves: romance
I very much enjoyed this book. I read it because I wanted to read something by Lippi since I really like her Sara Donati books. In the first few chapters I thought it was going to be a woman meets man, they fall in love, they marry kind of book. But it was much more than that. I liked they way Lippi portrayed the two characters who have mental illness, living meaningful lives as they cope with the challenges and limitations of their illnesses. I also enjoyed the child character, Bean, and the ch ...more
Erin
Apr 22, 2008 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who read non-genre-specific novels, people who like books set in the south
Shelves: nongenre-fiction
I really enjoyed this book, although I think I would have enjoyed it even more had I not read it in lunch-hour chunks with some gaps here & there. I'm not quite sure how to categorize it. It's not a "romance" novel as most people would think of one, even though the only real criteria for a romance novel is that the hero & heroine end up together by the end, and in that sense this book fits the category. It's not really a mystery, although it does take the whole book to unravel what's cau ...more
Amy
Feb 11, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: southern, chick-lit
Really good, I think it was Savannah in disguise. It was on a river. And in a SQUARE. Helloooo??? :)I didn't care for the political views that wormed their way in or the ending, but a cute little novel about Julia, Dodge, & Scoot the dog. Too many "M" names to keep up with.
Carole
Mar 19, 2015 Carole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light read...but pleasant. Takes place in a small southern town filled with quirky characters...most with some sort of a problem. But still likeable. Take it on vacation with you. It would make a good "beach read".
Julie
Feb 15, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this story of a small town where everyone knows everyone. People in the town are kind to each other and accepting of the eccentricities of those around them.
  • Tied to the Tracks
  • Anybody Any Minute
  • A Version of the Truth
  • Hostile Makeover
  • What Are You Wearing to Die? (Thoroughly Southern, #10)
  • Out of Isak Dinesen in Africa: Karen Blixen's Untold Story
  • Dancing In The Low Country
  • Heart of Glass
  • The Music Teacher
  • The Summer Kitchen  (Blue Sky Hill #2)
  • The Kept Man
  • Million Little Mistakes
  • Janeology
  • Celia Garth
  • Tigers In Red Weather: A Quest for the Last Wild Tigers
  • At Home in the Heart of Appalachia
  • My Dearest Cecelia: A Novel of the Southern Belle Who Stole General Sherman's Heart
  • Welfare Brat: A Memoir
Rosina Lippi also writes historical fiction under the name Sara Donati.
More about Rosina Lippi...

“I like difficult old women, she said. I'm in training to be one myself.” 3 likes