Start by marking “The New Dad's Survival Guide: Man-to-Man Advice for First-Time Fathers” as Want to Read:
The New Dad's Survival Guide: Man-to-Man Advice for First-Time Fathers

The New Dad's Survival Guide: Man-to-Man Advice for First-Time Fathers

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  23 reviews
FATHERHOOD DEMYSTIFIED! Finally-a manual for new dads that deciphers the immensely confusing world of fatherhood and gives crucial tips and advice from a man's point of view. No psychobabble, no warm fuzzies-just a hilarious (and surprisingly practical) military-style guide to surviving and thriving through even the queasiest moments of pregnancy, birth, and babyhood. Seas ...more
Published September 3rd 2007 by Little, Brown and Company (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The New Dad's Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Dad's Survival Guide

Dave
I recently read this book because I recently had a newborn. It is a fast read and written very easily with some pointers on what life is about to become with a newborn. It is also comical. I wish the book was longer but then again I probably won't have much time to read long books ( sorry mr. Shirer--see book list).

Worth the two hours to read for new fathers. ( I had a boy in case you were wondering)
Mrs. Roy
So though I am not a dad-to-be, I am married to one, and I'd like him to know a whole lot more than is covered in this book. However, if your husband is not really willing to read anything about pregnancy or babies, this is a whole lot better than nothing. It is very quick (I read it in about an hour) and brief/superficial. The time periods the author touches on are late pregnancy, labor, and the first six months of baby's life. Mactavish encourages the new dad to be kind and not tease his wife ...more
Justin
Perhaps my enjoyment of this book was affected by the fact that I DID read it a little later than I should have. It basically covers from the last few months of pregnancy into the first few months of having a new baby (which is where I was when finishing this book). While there was some helpful information included, it is written in a style that seems appropriate for a new dad who is 18-24 years old and has never known someone who has had a baby or taken a sex education class. The overall tone i ...more
Chris
All kidding aside, this book is really, really useful. Yes, the tongue-in-cheek faux-drill-seargant writing gets tiresome, but the clear step-by-step what-to-expect explanations are really handy. Plus, many of the "don't forget to ___" tips are also well placed. (Note to self, ***do not forget the flowers***). This is a rather quick read, certainly intended for soon-to-be new fathers, and will never replace actual pregnancy/newborn care books, but is a worthwhile read just for the practical, rea ...more
Ed Ingman
Good, easy to read, primer on fatherhood. Written in very plain English. Thanks to Steve Owens for letting me borrow it!
Rachel
Oct 28, 2011 Rachel rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crazied baby people
Recommended to Rachel by: thebump.com
Shelves: baby
'Cornie gave this book to her dad for his birthday. How thoughtful! Well, I read it, too. I read it in one sitting and snorted and giggled through the whole thing. It was definitely a safe place to read about labor (from dad's pov)! Also, helped me to remember what he might be feeling through this whole crazy process. (Just remember, some of his suggestions are just what worked for them, not what will work for you.)
Candi
There were some pretty funny spots, but I thought this book was much less informative than other books geared towards a similar audience (Baby Owner's Manual; Be Prepared). He defers to outside authorities a lot and doesn't fully explain much of anything. He spent a much larger chunk of the book on the actual birth than I expected. There were a few good tips but not really anything I haven't seen before.
Krystal Atkinson
I bought this book for my husband, Shawn, for his first "father-to-be" Day. He said he really liked, and it was helpful. A fun read that uses military style, made up acronyms, and humor. It is, of course, writen by a male...I will write my thoughts after I have read it!
Joe
May 05, 2009 Joe rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: clueless new dads
Shelves: self-improvement
The book was okay, except that I read it about 2 weeks after my kids were born. While funny at times, the humor tended to wear off quick for me.

But it was a super quick read, and for completely clueless dads, it's a good place to start.
Michael M
Good and fun,easy read for new dads. I read this when my girlfriend was pregnant, and there was a rule that made me laugh and stuck with my throughout those moments of mood swings that Natasha had. BCF Be Cool Fool hahahaha.
Jocie Perotti
I got this for Josh and I read it too. I thought it put things simply and in an interesting army fashion so that he knew what was happening, what to expect from the labor and the new baby and wasn't reading a girly book.
Alisha
This book is hilarious. Definitely not a typical baby handbook, meant for fathers who want to be involved in the birth and raising of their child, but don't want to be overloaded with info.
Aaron W. Herd
Very entertaining. Not very deep, for those of us who want all the technical details, but a very good starter book.
Aaron Grant
Although the book lacks a lot of detail, the book is helpful and the humor helps fly through the material.
Jonny Bobby
I just finished this book. I would recommend it to any new dad. It was very helpful.
Borbality
wasn't really big on some of the advice. Didn't end up being that helpful.
Brian Clulow
There was a little too much "bro" speak in this book for me.
Taylor
good, funny, could have had more content.
Juan
A basic informational book about being a dad.
Matt Piechocinski
Not bad, of the new dad books I've read.
Mike
Quick read that is very entertaining yet informative. If you're an expecting father and are not into reading but feel like you need to read something, this is definitely your book!!
Klubeck
Klubeck marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Tyler
Tyler added it
May 09, 2015
Rick
Rick marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
The New Dad's Survival Guide: Man-To-Man Advice for First-Time Fathers New Dad's Survival Guide Battle Ready: Memoir of a SEAL Warrior Medic