Start by marking “The New Dad's Survival Guide: Man-to-Man Advice for First-Time Fathers” as Want to Read:
The New Dad's Survival Guide: Man-to-Man Advice for First-Time Fathers

The New Dad's Survival Guide: Man-to-Man Advice for First-Time Fathers

FATHERHOOD DEMYSTIFIED! Finally-a manual for new dads that deciphers the immensely confusing world of fatherhood and gives crucial tips and advice from a man's point of view. No psychobabble, no warm fuzzies-just a hilarious (and surprisingly practical) military-style guide to surviving and thriving through even the queasiest moments of pregnancy, birth, and babyhood. Seas ...more
Published September 3rd 2007 by Little, Brown and Company (first published June 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The New Dad's Survival Guide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The New Dad's Survival Guide

Dave
Aug 09, 2013 Dave rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently read this book because I recently had a newborn. It is a fast read and written very easily with some pointers on what life is about to become with a newborn. It is also comical. I wish the book was longer but then again I probably won't have much time to read long books ( sorry mr. Shirer--see book list).

Worth the two hours to read for new fathers. ( I had a boy in case you were wondering)
Joe
Mar 16, 2009 Joe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: clueless new dads
Shelves: self-improvement
The book was okay, except that I read it about 2 weeks after my kids were born. While funny at times, the humor tended to wear off quick for me.

But it was a super quick read, and for completely clueless dads, it's a good place to start.
Chris
Jan 10, 2014 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All kidding aside, this book is really, really useful. Yes, the tongue-in-cheek faux-drill-seargant writing gets tiresome, but the clear step-by-step what-to-expect explanations are really handy. Plus, many of the "don't forget to ___" tips are also well placed. (Note to self, ***do not forget the flowers***). This is a rather quick read, certainly intended for soon-to-be new fathers, and will never replace actual pregnancy/newborn care books, but is a worthwhile read just for the practical, rea ...more
Krystal Atkinson
Jun 26, 2008 Krystal Atkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book for my husband, Shawn, for his first "father-to-be" Day. He said he really liked, and it was helpful. A fun read that uses military style, made up acronyms, and humor. It is, of course, writen by a male...I will write my thoughts after I have read it!
Alisha
Apr 08, 2009 Alisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This book is hilarious. Definitely not a typical baby handbook, meant for fathers who want to be involved in the birth and raising of their child, but don't want to be overloaded with info.
Justin
Feb 17, 2013 Justin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Perhaps my enjoyment of this book was affected by the fact that I DID read it a little later than I should have. It basically covers from the last few months of pregnancy into the first few months of having a new baby (which is where I was when finishing this book). While there was some helpful information included, it is written in a style that seems appropriate for a new dad who is 18-24 years old and has never known someone who has had a baby or taken a sex education class. The overall tone i ...more
Mrs. Roy
So though I am not a dad-to-be, I am married to one, and I'd like him to know a whole lot more than is covered in this book. However, if your husband is not really willing to read anything about pregnancy or babies, this is a whole lot better than nothing. It is very quick (I read it in about an hour) and brief/superficial. The time periods the author touches on are late pregnancy, labor, and the first six months of baby's life. Mactavish encourages the new dad to be kind and not tease his wife ...more
Rachel
Oct 28, 2011 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crazied baby people
Recommended to Rachel by: thebump.com
Shelves: baby
'Cornie gave this book to her dad for his birthday. How thoughtful! Well, I read it, too. I read it in one sitting and snorted and giggled through the whole thing. It was definitely a safe place to read about labor (from dad's pov)! Also, helped me to remember what he might be feeling through this whole crazy process. (Just remember, some of his suggestions are just what worked for them, not what will work for you.)
Rod Hilton
Meh, it's fine. Covers some basic stuff, as a first-time dad-to-be I found it useful and informative, but I have no idea what I'm doing so pretty much any book will hit that mark.

The book is very light on details, but it's also very short and very easy to read. It took me two bus rides and I was done with it. Good way to tell the wife (or FPP as this book likes to call her) that I finished a "Dad Book" so that I don't look like a lunk.
Candi
May 19, 2013 Candi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
There were some pretty funny spots, but I thought this book was much less informative than other books geared towards a similar audience (Baby Owner's Manual; Be Prepared). He defers to outside authorities a lot and doesn't fully explain much of anything. He spent a much larger chunk of the book on the actual birth than I expected. There were a few good tips but not really anything I haven't seen before.
Michael M
Good and fun,easy read for new dads. I read this when my girlfriend was pregnant, and there was a rule that made me laugh and stuck with my throughout those moments of mood swings that Natasha had. BCF Be Cool Fool hahahaha.
Jocie Perotti
Feb 13, 2008 Jocie Perotti rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this for Josh and I read it too. I thought it put things simply and in an interesting army fashion so that he knew what was happening, what to expect from the labor and the new baby and wasn't reading a girly book.
Aaron Grant
Dec 19, 2011 Aaron Grant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although the book lacks a lot of detail, the book is helpful and the humor helps fly through the material.
A.K. Williams
Feb 20, 2010 A.K. Williams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very entertaining. Not very deep, for those of us who want all the technical details, but a very good starter book.
Daniel Honigman
Amusing. Not too much new information here if you've already read "regular" baby books, but a fun companion.
Ed Ingman
Good, easy to read, primer on fatherhood. Written in very plain English. Thanks to Steve Owens for letting me borrow it!
Mike
Jan 26, 2009 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quick read that is very entertaining yet informative. If you're an expecting father and are not into reading but feel like you need to read something, this is definitely your book!!
John Lapierre
Jun 30, 2015 John Lapierre rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a lighthearted and entertaining look at what is to come, when having a baby. Pretty funny insight into a man's view of pregnancy.
Joe Bunn
Joe Bunn rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2016
Stephen Howe
Stephen Howe rated it it was ok
Feb 01, 2017
Chris Pachuta
Chris Pachuta rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Randy
Apr 24, 2016 Randy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny book written for dads though I already had an idea on most of what was in here.
Nathan Steere
Nathan Steere rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2015
Chris Spivey
Chris Spivey rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2014
Chirag Shah
Chirag Shah rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2014
Angie Roseman
Angie Roseman rated it it was ok
Oct 16, 2014
Richard
Richard rated it it was ok
May 15, 2008
Valerie Guiles
Valerie Guiles rated it it was ok
May 09, 2016
Douglas E Copeland
Douglas E Copeland rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2016
Amitai
Amitai rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The New Father: A Dad's Guide to the First Year
  • The Mother of all Pregnancy Books
  • Richer Than God: Manchester City, Modern Football and Growing Up
  • Rock 'n' Roll Soccer: The Short Life and Fast Times of the North American Soccer League
  • Beautiful Game Theory: How Soccer Can Help Economics
  • The Anatomy Of England: A History In Ten Matches
  • Money and Soccer: A Soccernomics Guide: Why Chievo Verona, Unterhaching, and Scunthorpe United Will Never Win the Champions League, Why Manchester City, Roma, and Paris St. Germain Can, and Why Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, and Manchester United Cannot B...
  • Futebol Nation: The Story of Brazil through Soccer
  • Bushville Wins!: The Wild Saga of the 1957 Milwaukee Braves and the Screwballs, Sluggers, and Beer Swiggers Who Canned the New York Yankees and Changed Baseball
  • The Special One: The Dark Side of Jose Mourinho
  • The Football Man: People & Passions in Soccer
  • The Ugly Game: The Qatari Plot to Buy the World Cup
  • Winning at All Costs: A Scandalous History of Italian Soccer
  • Calm the F*ck Down: The Only Parenting Technique You’ll Ever Need
  • Foul!: The Secret World of FIFA: Bribes, Vote Rigging and Ticket Scandals
  • Invincible: Inside Arsenal's Unbeaten 2003-2004 Season
  • The Italian Job: A Journey to the Heart of Two Great Footballing Cultures
  • Dude, You're Gonna Be a Dad!: How to Get (Both of You) Through the Next 9 Months
Author, filmmaker and US Navy veteran.

More about Scott Mactavish...