Start by marking “Jacques Cousteau Jacques Cousteau” as Want to Read:
Jacques Cousteau Jacques Cousteau

Jacques Cousteau Jacques Cousteau

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  127 ratings  ·  21 reviews
An unprecedented and masterfully told biography of Jacques Cousteau that reveals for the first time the fascinating and compelling individual behind this famous television personality.

Inventor of the aqualung and fearless scuba diver, Jacques Cousteau opened up the ocean to a mass audience for the first time. Here, with the cooperation of many of the subjects closest confi
Published October 20th 2009 by Pantheon Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jacques Cousteau Jacques Cousteau, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacques Cousteau Jacques Cousteau

Robert Stava
This book was a fascinating read. Like many people growing up in the 60s & 70s 'The Undersea World of Jacques Cousteau' was a riveting staple on our family television set. Consequently I had this long standing misconception of Jacques-Cousteau as this gentle father figure opening our eyes to the great world under the sea...what emerges out of this book is a more human, often flawed pioneer whom in many ways got caught up in a world of his own making. I didn't realize that much of his later y ...more
nicole
jacques cousteau has got to be way more interesting than this book makes him out to be. maybe it's the fact that matsen relied heavily on interviews to tell episodic tales, but where's the gristle? the most interesting parts - the relationships behind his work, the fact that he kept a second wife that he had children with while his legal wife lived alone on the ship that made his career - are given small teaser paragraphs while the most asinine information about ship's size and berth are given p ...more
Kenno82
I didn't grow up watch Cousteau's films or television series. In fact, my first introduction to him was via Bill Murray's character in Wes Anderson's A Life Aquatic, which was inspired by Cousteau.

Matsen portrays Cousteau as a flawed explorer, environmentalist and philosopher who inspired a generation to look beyond land's limits and under the water. His work to focus the world's attention on the health of the oceans and the need for sustainable practices cannot be underestimated. Nor can his co
Stephen
Jacques Cousteau was certainly the greatest explorer of the 20th century, but maybe he was also the greatest explorer ever because he sought not to exploit his discoveries but rescue them. I recently, after reading this, went back to watch many of his videos, and they are as exciting and worldly as anything else in the great frogman's life. Here, local author Brad Matson takes us through the great man's life from WWII espionage, his inventing the SCUBA, to the tumultuous end of life estate matte ...more
Melissa
I actually thought I knew about Cousteau because of my background before I read this. I knew what the general public knows I guess but that really isn't that much apparently. I was suprised by a lot of things about Cousteau. I was even more suprised by the fact that France has a navy :)
The end of his life and the mess of a family he left behind was sad. I do finally understand now why PBS always makes sure to use Jean Michel's whole name on his series. I always thought it was strange but now I k
Joyce Donahue
Riveting from the first page, this biography of the unforgettable Jacques Cousteau is a great read. Unfortunately, life is often neither fair nor kind, and the ending is a bit tragic. However, it's the truth. Good read - especially for those of us who remember the TV specials and read Cousteau's Silent World. This really brings the hero of our childhood - the man with the red stocking cap who had all of us in the late 60's wanting to become marine biologists - to life.
David
Cousteau's story illuminated by a slightly warmer light than than of Munson's. A couple of nitpicks: Matsen misspells it "souscope" for Cousteau's Diving Saucer, la Soucoupe Plongeante; Rachel Carson's review of The Silent World is mistakenly cited as from the New York Times (it was the Herald Tribune).
Erin McCarthy
I don't read a lot of biographies but this book really made me want to rewatch the life aqautic.
Jon
This was a great book to read because the author was able to convey what an amazing adventurer and visionary Jacques Yves Cousteau was. There were many exciting adventures under the ocean and this man was also great at leading men.
Page 117 said, "Everyone around him recognized that greatest talent was inspiring other people to help him realize vision."
Lee
When I was small, I was enthralled by the concept of SCUBA diving, fed by some of his TV programs. This was a neat read, although the details of his personal life were disappointing to me. I very much enjoyed the details of the early diving expeditions, which faded out once Cousteau spent less time at sea, and more in boardrooms and at speeches.
Katharine Holden
I'm not sure how one goes about writing such a boring book about an exciting, dynamic subject, but the author has achieved it. Poorly written. Full of teaser paragraphs about the big issues in Cousteau's life and work, but no follow through. Much too much about ship measurements, etc. Not worth reading.
Clarkman
I don't agree with the 3 star rating from Goodreads on this book. Maybe it is a bit more for one who already has an interest in Cousteau but it has material that is both new and informative. That is rare when reading about cousteau these days. I also found it well-written; just my take.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
Interesting but not very deep outline of Cousteau's life. He did so much in his life, it probably would have been fairer to him to highlight one time in his life, for example his time in WWII and the invention of the Aqualung, and then dealt with that in more detail.
Blair
Well, I'm glad someone else almost drowned multiple times inventing the Aqualung, because that means I don't have to do it. Pretty good biography, mostly made me wish I was also chasing aquatic life in the Riviera/Caribbean.
Chris S
Not much depth/detail in this overview of Cousteau's life... but enjoyable nonetheless. (No mention of my favorite JYC doc 'Voyage to the edge of the world').
Stowe
Especially inspiring as Cousteau and friends learn to dive off the coast of France. May we all find that synergy with our own compatriots.
Alexa
Not the most gripping biography but certainly a full portrait of Cousteau-even the not so nice stuff at the end of his life.
Issy
What an interesting character. It got a bit tedious at the end but I guess that's his life.
Susan Jo Grassi
Being a SCUBA diver, Cousteau has always been a hero of mine.
Joel
Interesting, but sad it ended the way that it did.
Octopusturtle

He nourished my love of the oceans.
Mrs.Lady
Mrs.Lady marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Amber Smith
Amber Smith marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
PJ Brackett
PJ Brackett marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
  • Blue Meridian: The Search for the Great White Shark
  • Monsters of the Sea
  • The World Is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One
  • The Future of the Past
  • Bombay Anna: The Real Story and Remarkable Adventures of the "King and I" Governess
  • Birthright: The True Story of the Kidnapping of Jemmy Annesley
  • Born on a Mountaintop: On the Road with Davy Crockett and the Ghosts of the Wild Frontier
  • ...the Heavens and the Earth: A Political History of the Space Age
  • The Most Dangerous Man in America: The Making of Douglas MacArthur
  • Going Home To Glory: A Memoir of Life with Dwight D. Eisenhower, 1961-1969
  • Flotsametrics and the Floating World: How One Man's Obsession with Runaway Sneakers and Rubber Ducks Revolutionized Ocean Science
120666
Brad Matsen has been writing about wonders of the sea for forty years. He is the author of Jacques Cousteau: The Sea King; Descent: The Heroic Discovery of the Abyss, which was a finalist for the Los Angeles Times Book Prize in 2006; the New York Times bestseller Titanic's Last Secrets; Planet Ocean: A Story of Life in the Sea; and Dancing to the Fossil Record with artist Ray Troll; the award-winn ...more
More about Bradford Matsen...
Titanic's Last Secrets: The Further Adventures of Shadow Divers John Chatterton and Richie Kohler Descent: The Heroic Discovery of the Abyss Planet Ocean: A Story of Life, the Sea, and Dancing to the Fossil Record Ray Troll's Shocking Fish Tales: Fish, Romance, and Death in Pictures Fishing Up North: Stories of Luck and Loss in Alaskan Waters