Pharaoh - Volume II of Kleopatra

Pharaoh - Volume II of Kleopatra (Kleopatra #2)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  379 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Following on from 'Kleopatra', the glittering epic of Egypt's queen continues as she allies herself with Anthony and begins a love story that immortalizes her as one of history's greatest political players and most tragic heroines.
Published May 30th 2009 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Pharaoh - Volume II of Kleopatra, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pharaoh - Volume II of Kleopatra

Venessa
The follow up to Kleopatra which is about her life after she has joined forces with Caesar and then Antony; I believe Essex is trying to refute the claim that Kleopatra was an evil woman who led men to their downfall, and instead showed how she was a mightily impressive Queen who was very kind to not only her people, but her lovers as well. Dramatic and insightful with lots of steamy sex between the famous couple.
Josiane Claremont
Ugh! Finally done! I have to say, I am VERY disappointed in the outcome of this book. I expected something more interesting, more action-y. But, most of the stuff was mainly just political, and just VERY very boring stuff going on in Rome. I had to FORCE myself to finish reading the book, since I have to return it tomorrow.

At first, the book was epic awesomeness. I was impassioned, and excited to read it. Imagine the horror I felt when I realized that all that was going to happen next was just b...more
Jessica
Loved these two books and ater reading both I am very sad that I'm finished. The author really took the second book to another level by really expressing how men back then were completley off set by a woman in power. Most weren't accepting and showed how unfairley keleoparta was judged from citizens of different countrys'(manly rome) without making up their own minds for themselves. In the authors coda Karen explains that after kleopatra died Octavian would have all the accounts that even slight...more
Karen
This sequel to "Kleopatra" (greek way of spelling it) was the best of the two books. Telling the story of her life with Ceasar and then with the love of her life...Marcus Antonius (Marc Antony) made the book much more interesting than the first one which dealt with her childhood. Lots of great historical facts...so you learn lots. Every one knows the ending to Cleopatra and Antony but the last fifty pages is particulary poignant, written so well you can't put it down....until the asp has slither...more
Vicki Cline
I liked this one better than the previous book in the series, Kleopatra by Karen Essex, since I'm more interested in Caesar and Antony than Kleo herself. The Romans (and Rome) don't come off very well in either book, but that's to be expected since that would have been how she saw things. Octavian, in particular, is portrayed as really devious and untrustworthy.
Melissa
What woman does not love reading about one of history's most intelligent, charismatic women? This is my second historical fiction novel about Cleopatra, and I have to say I enjoyed Margaret George's a bit better. Essex's storytelling is sometimes a bit dry and it lacks the flow of truly elegant prose. Still, it was entertaining, though not engrossing enough to earn a whole-hearted recommendation.
Christy English
This is the last of Karen Essex's novels that I have, until she finishes her new one. In spite of that fact, I am going to begin it. Next year will be here before I know it, and her new book will be ready. I simply can't wait any longer to begin this one. So here goes...I am curious to hear Gaius Julius Caesar's voice in this novel...as well as see Kleopatra again. Happy reading...
Keith
This book about Kleopatra, Volume II of the two books, was just as fascinating as the first book, Kleopatra, and am so glad to have finished it!! Anyone interested in Ancient Rome, Ancient Egypt, Julius Caesar, etc..will definitely want to read this book!! I look forward to reading her other books sometime in the near future!!
Carla
Enjoyable book ... even though it's from a time period that I really don't have much interest in (ancient Rome and Egypt). I learned a lot about Kleopatra that I never knew; she was quite a woman!
Wendy
I honestly preferred the first one more. I found the story in Pharaoh was drawn out and it didn't keep my attention as well as Kleopatra did.
Amanda
Fitting sequel to Kleopatra. Genuine writing and characters. Enjoyed it from beginning to end.
Kimberly Halverson
I adore books that make you drop everything you're doing to finish the last few pages.
Faranak Bakhshipour
it is one of the best movie I had ever seen ...
Marissa
Jul 06, 2007 Marissa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Shelves: alreadyread
Very well researched and written.
Brittaney
Brittaney marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Rhea
Rhea marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Cassie Helwig
Cassie Helwig marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Jillian Parker
Jillian Parker marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2014
Debs
Debs marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Xavier Meyers
Xavier Meyers marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Kyle A.
Kyle A. marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Kort
Kort marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
  • The Twelfth Transforming
  • Cleopatra's Heir
  • When We Were Gods: A Novel of Cleopatra
  • The Empire of Darkness (Queen of Freedom, #1)
  • Throne of Isis
  • Cleopatra and Antony: Power, Love, and Politics in the Ancient World
  • Antony And Cleopatra
  • Hand of Isis (Numinous World, #3)
  • Cleopatra's Secret: Keepers of the Light
  • Daughters of the Nile (Cleopatra's Daughter, # 3)
  • Pharaoh's Son
  • Tutankhamun (Rai Rahotep, #2)
I'm the author of DRACULA IN LOVE, Stealing Athena, Leonardo's Swans, Kleopatra, Pharaoh, and Bettie Page: Life of a Pin Up Legend. I am also an active screenwriter and an award-winning journalist. I divide my time between Los Angeles and London, where I moved a couple of years ago to soak in the atmosphere. Helps when you are writing a gothic Victorian novel.

Please see my new blog, "Women, Histo...more
More about Karen Essex...
Leonardo's Swans Dracula in Love Kleopatra (Kleopatra, #1) Stealing Athena Bettie Page: The Life of a Pin-Up Legend