Start by marking “Daphnis und Chloe” as Want to Read:
Daphnis und Chloe

Daphnis und Chloe

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,584 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Marc Chagall [illustrator]. Longus. Daphnis und Chloe. Munich: Prestel, [1982]. Quarto. 223 pages. Publisher's binding, dust jacket, and slipcase.
Published September 2004 by Prestel (first published 150)

To ask other readers questions about Daphnis und Chloe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Daphnis und Chloe

Jan-Maat
A shepherd and a shepherdess fall in love in those ancient days before this became a literary trope.

They are even more innocent than the sheep they herd and have no idea how to satisfy their feelings. They ask an old woman for help. She cackles and tells them that they have to sleep together. So the couple go back to the field, lie down together and fall asleep. They wake up and feel as unsatisfied as before.

Oh, and as so often in the literature of this period there are some pirates too.

Enjoyabl
Vanessa
May 31, 2015 Vanessa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This was my first classical novel, having only read plays/poems beforehand. Daphnis and Chloe has been cited by many booktubers (whose opinions on classical literature I trust) as a great place to start with literature from antiquity, and the premise of this book was too good to pass up.

Daphnis and Chloe is a very sweet tale of Daphnis (a 15-year-old goatherd) and Chloe (a 13-year-old shepherdess) who fall in love without understanding what 'Love' is. Through a series of bizarre and comedic mish
Benji
Things like this make me lament the difference in curriculum between what I studied in school in the US and what my friend studied in Italy in Lecce. At least I'm aware that I missed out, and so I have to fill in the gaps! The way I do so is through this: the Penguin Classics list I found on Wikipedia (see below for the links)

And this is exactly one of the kinds of books that make me glad to have this list to refer to when I choose the next book to read--especially since most of them are free an
Jose lana
May 07, 2016 Jose lana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The adolescent,real pure love,the discovery of sensuality,the birth of sexuality,the exploration of one another body,is one of the most beautiful and tender events in the life of a human being;yet no ever happens and if it do, mostly only one time, and by that is a intemporal subject of novels and poetry.

This pastoril bucolic novel ,written in Adrianos time,located in the Lesbos island ,near the turkish coast,tells all this with a lot of references to grek mithology and with happy end.

Is strikin
Josh
Nov 29, 2015 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“Daphnis and Chloe” was entirely enjoyable to read, and definitely sparked a bit of a revival in an interest of classical ancient literature, of which I’d read very little in recent times. I wasn’t sure what to expect going in, but I immediately noticed a “dream-like” tone to the narration, with Longus touching on timeless and universal themes, and exploring intimacy while also maintaining a certain vacuum of innocence. It is also quite funny, and on multiple I occasions I laughed and then marve ...more
Annalisse
Aug 31, 2015 Annalisse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4/5 Stars

For this month's classic read, I chose a tale from actual ancient history. Daphnis and Chloe is attributed to the poet Longus who dates to around the second or third century A.D. The first complete manuscript of this tale was discovered in Florence in 1810 and it has gone on to influence cultural works and even The Princess Bride. This illustrated edition contains forty-two lithographs produced by Marc Chagall that bring to life Longus's story.

The story of Daphnis and Chloe in its simpl
John Pistelli
Aug 01, 2016 John Pistelli rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ancient
This early pastoral romance (dating from the second or third century A.D.) is both entertaining in itself and a good corrective to the received wisdom that the novel is a quintessential invention of Cervantes or capitalism or Protestantism or the eighteenth century. Though brief and beholden to the boys-meets/loses/gets-girl conventions of the Hellenistic romance, Daphnis and Chloe is recognizable as a novel: its protagonists learn and grow, deepening their sense of their world and how its const ...more
David  Ioan
Romanul lui Longos este o poveste închinată dragostei. În esență, Dafnis și Cloe este un roman pastoral (în patru cărți) în care ni se înfățișează viața a doi copii părăsiți de la naștere de proprii lor părinți, nu departe de Mitilene, și alăptați de o capră și o oaie; aici sunt descoperiți de doi păstori din împrejurimi. Autorul romanului excelează în redarea iubirii naive care se trezește în acești adolescenți; dragostea îi farmecă și-i torturează în același timp, făcându-i să cunoască rând p ...more
Ashleigh
Apr 16, 2016 Ashleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 2016
Absolutely adorable. I think that's the only way in which to describe this book. Adorable, and made me laugh. And it's short! Would recommend this to anyone wanting a sweet book to pass a rainy afternoon!

A full, but brief, review can be found over on my blog
Márcia
May 10, 2016 Márcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
An adorable and light-hearted story about the discovery of love, portrayed by Daphnis, a goatherd, and Chloe, a young shepherdess in a bucolic pastoral setting.

Image: 'Springtime' by Pierre-Auguste Co
Daisy
Jul 24, 2016 Daisy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointed-by
Quality Rating: Four Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Three Stars

I'm not really sure what I feel about this one. While I enjoyed the mythological style, I feel like it's hard to appreciate Daphnis and Chloe without studying it - something that I'm not doing. As someone reading it for fun I was a little distant from what was happening. This poem(?) centres around two young lovers who are unaware of how to make love to each other, and their displays of affection and concern for each other leading up to thei
Rhys
Jan 02, 2016 Rhys rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book twenty years and took it with me to Greece, as it seemed appropriate reading matter for a bucolic holiday.

It is one of the seven surviving novels, five Greek and two in Latin, from Classical Times. This is one of the Greek ones and it's one of the best of the seven. I plan to read them all again.

It's an utterly charming story about two young foundlings who grow up together and fall in love. It's typical of the style of the Ancient Greek novels, being full of adventures, pirate
Megan Hoag
Mar 20, 2012 Megan Hoag rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The most original, and in my opinion, most beautiful love story ever put into words (do not take that statement too seriously, I've probably read a total of 3 or 4 love stories in my lifetime and 2 of them were probably about animals or trees and whatnot).
I'm mildly obsessed with Ancient Greece, and somehow I am more grateful for the survival of this text than any other. Additionally, the tale is highly relevant to all genders, species, ages, etc. If you read the novel in its entirety, you will
Mateen Ar
Jan 09, 2016 Mateen Ar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daphnis and Chloe is easily the most innocent story I have ever read. I more than enjoyed every part of the story; like Longus introduces, the whole book paints a picture of nature, simplicity, real surrealism (!) and love. The whole thing is so lighthearted but still so endearing.

When I was very young, maybe three or four years old, I remember I was in my grandmother's house playing sitting on the ground, and the summer afternoon sun shone orange from the side and everything was just perfect.
Barnaby Thieme
Aug 19, 2014 Barnaby Thieme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, greece
One of the great ironies of world literature is that the sole extant novel by the Greek author Longus is actually quite short.

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of my system ....

"Daphnis and Chloe" is one of the quintessential works of the Hellenistic period, and it's tempting to conclude with the classicists of the 19th century, reading this trifle, that Hellenism was a period of decadence in Greek culture. We've come a long way from Aeschylus and Homer, to this artful pastoral diversion writ
Hanna
Sep 10, 2015 Hanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.95*
Evelyn
Jul 25, 2015 Evelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most accessible, enjoyable classical texts I have read recently, and something I would recommend to anyone with even a passing interest in romance, classical or not. Turner's introduction and impressive translation (if this is the edition I read) make the story easy to follow, and little/no prior knowledge is required to enjoy this text in its entirety.

The plot follows the lives and blossoming romance between Daphnis and Chloe, and the story is made unique by Longus' decision to set h
Victoria
I loved Daphnis and Chloe. I have read a few other Greek literature books and I read this one while waiting for another book to come in the mail. The version I have is the penguin little black classics. Daphnis and Chloe is the story of love and all its many stages. Daphnis and Chloe, having grown up in the country and later growing up to be goatherd and shepherd, respectively, know nothing of this thing called love. The gods have decided to place Daphnis and Chloe together. Love, which is portr ...more
Savvina
A single tear was shed!
Susanne
Aug 10, 2016 Susanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, ancient-rome
Zauberhafte Liebesgeschichte um zwei Kinder, die, auf Lesbos ausgesetzt, gemeinsam erwachsen werden, sich verlieben, jedoch so unschuldig sind, dass sie nicht als Liebende zueinander finden. Sie müssen erst viele Abenteuer bestehen, um wirklich ein Paar zu werden. Die Illustrationen von Marc Chagall sind nicht nur wunderschön, sondern fangen die Stimmung der Episoden hervorragend ein.
Steven Smith
Dec 17, 2015 Steven Smith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This book seems to get raved about from so I was expecting to like it a lot more than I did. It was a nice story and there were some amusing parts such as the two lovers struggling to work out what they should be doing. Some of the writing was very evocative of the rural landscape the story was set in - it reminded me a bit of Hardy's descriptions in the dairy farm section of Tess of the D'Urbervilles - very hazy, dreamy, summery etc.
Maybe because it was so short, there wasn't much in the way of
Lena Chilari
,,Ne-am sărutat și nimic nu s-a schimbat, ne-am strâns în brațe, dar nici asta nu ne-a fost de nici de un folos. Astfel, să ne culcăm goi împreună este singurul leac care ne-a mai rămas. Trebuie să-l încercăm, fie ce-o fi! Trebuie să fie în asta ceva mai bun decât un sărut.,, -_-
Cassandra Kay Silva
This was a beautiful work of literature. The images and characters were very memorable. It had an earthy tone to it and was a great book to pick up for a single sitting that could be read and enjoyed many times again. It reminds me so much of what love feels like to the young.
Lee Razer
Recommended if the sentence, "I swear by the goats," said not an iota ironically, appeals to you.
Veronika KaoruSaionji
I read this story because Mishimas novel Sound of waves could be inspirated by it (said by Donald Keene). Yes, there are some similarity - but they are very different story.
This old novel is about love between two innocent country children, boy Dafnis is 15-16 yers old during this story and girl Chloe is 13-14 years old. They know absolutely nothing about love or sex. Old friendly man tell them that if they are in love, so they should sleep together, also they (innocently) sleep and so on. :o)
Denise
Sep 18, 2012 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy a good tale, a myth, and Dafnis and Chloe's love story was particularly charming. It was funny how they tried to make love but didn't know how, it was cute how they always found ways to see each other, even in winter time when all the peasants were trapped inside of their houses... but what is a legend if no one gets hanged, turned into rock or gets to die in a rather spectacular fashion? Even the bad guys got away (what happened to Lycaenium?) or became good guys (Gnathon, who, a ...more
Philip Swain
Oct 09, 2014 Philip Swain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent tale. Reminds me a lot of my pubescent fumblings. I could actually feel myself aching on behalf of poor Daphnis. Loses it way just a little towards the end, but alls well that ends well. If you have shied away from classical literature because you considered it altogether too high-brow, then this book will calm your fears. It's not too long, and the Greek names are more or less pronounceable.
James Miller
Aug 10, 2015 James Miller rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greek novels are good fun and with their use of recognition motifs and the like very reminiscent of New Comedy and its imitators Plautus and then Shakespeare. The pastoral themes and ideas are gentle and amusing and the repressed and confused sexuality interesting (a very different attitude to same sex love than that in many Greek texts with an argument from nature) if unconvincing. Good fun.
Giovanni
Sep 06, 2015 Giovanni rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I really enjoy the story, but alas I gave it 3 stars. This is because, although I really enjoyed it, I don't quite get the characters and the plot. It was indeed written beautifully, but it uses a form of English that that of KJV Bible, therefore quite hard to comprehend.
Despite that, I think I will pick this up again, but in another version of translation.
Diana L.
May 16, 2016 Diana L. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Avete mai avuto la sensazione di non riuscire ad identificare, a descrivere una emozione provata? Di non comprendere il moto interiore dei propri sentimenti e di non essere in grado di esprimerlo a parole, di raccontarlo! Per vergogna o per timidezza?
Erano lieti se vicini, se lontani eran tristi, sentivano in sé stessi di volere qualcosa, ma quel che volessero non sapevano
In poche pagine e in pochi attimi, Longo narra del cambiamento fisico ed emotivo di due giovani e i sentimenti di uno verso
  • Leucippe and Clitophon
  • An Ethiopian Romance
  • Idylls
  • Callirhoe
  • Guide to Greece: Central Greece (Guide to Greece, #1)
  • Collected Ancient Greek Novels
  • Natural History: A Selection
  • Hecuba
  • Storia vera
  • Theophrastus: Characters

“For there was never any yet that wholly could escape love, and never shall there be any, never so long as beauty shall be, never so long as eyes can see.” 9 likes
“For this will cure him that is sick, and rouse him that is in dumps; one that has loved, it will remember of it; one that has not, it will instruct. For there was never any yet that wholly could escape love, and never shall there be any, never so long as beauty shall be, never so long as eyes can see. But help me that God to write the passions of others; and while I write, keep me in my own right wits.” 4 likes