Start by marking “Hard News (Rune, #3)” as Want to Read:
Hard News (Rune, #3)

Hard News (Rune #3)

3.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  822 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Rune is an aspiring filmmaker with more ambition than political savvy, paying her dues as an assistant cameraperson for the local news. But she's got her eyes on the prize, the network's hot newsmagazine, Current Events -- and she's got the story she knows will get her there.

Poking around in the video archives, Rune spots a taped interview with Randy Boggs, who's doing ha
Published September 2nd 2009 by Bantam (first published 1991)

Pupottina

Cosa accade se un innocente è in prigione? Chi può dare giustizia alla voce di un disperato che implora di essere ascoltato? Forse l'unica a poter raccogliere questa supplica è una giovane e ambiziosa assistente cameraman, anche se di piccola statura. Rune è l'unica a non voltargli le spalle, quando Randy Boggs, da dietro le sbarre invia un lettera indirizzata a tutta la redazione del giornale. Nessuno la vuole aprire quella lettera che giunge dal penitenziario. Nessuno tranne Rune che, ingenuam
The Cats Mother
I still find it hard to believe that this trilogy was written by the author of the Lincoln Rhyme series, he definitely learned how to write somewhere in between. I've plodded on through three uninspiring tomes, hoping for things to get more interesting, and that Rune might become more likeable, but she continues to be irritatingly naive, selfish and stupid. Here she is working for a TV news station and because she's bored with this and wants the glory, decides that a prisoner has been wrongly ac ...more
Jerry
Jul 23, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deaver's third (and apparently final) entry in leading "lady" "Rune" series...

We modestly enjoyed Deaver's two earlier entries in this set ("Manhattan Is My Beat" and "Death Of A Blue Movie Star") about a very quirky 20's-something female (now) camerawoman named Rune. Rune definitely has a different outlook on life, not always finding it easy to differentiate between her rose-colored views of life and reality. Upon viewing some old film footage of a prison inmate declaring his innocence (hardly
Tony
Sep 06, 2009 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jeffery Deaver- Hard News (Bantam Books 2001) 3.5 Stars

Rune is tired of being a simple cameragirl and wants to move on to the big times, Current Events. What she has discovered might just get her there, or it could get her fired. Randy Boggs claims to be innocent and that he should not be in prison, Rune believes him. Her story about him might just get him free, but someone else does not want the story to come out. Prison life for Boggs has suddenly gotten to hot to handle and Rune must avoid le
Codescriber
Great story, not the best characters. Rune, the central figure of the book, just comes across as annoying and not very intelligent. Deaver's attempt to make her sound "real" fails miserably. I mean, nobody, like, says "Like" in just about every sentence. It was distracting enough to take me out of the story almost every time. Of course, to be honest, maybe he fleshed her out better in the first two books of the trilogy, which I didn't realize it was, as I started with book 3. I may alter my revi ...more
Kim Schiavone
I really enjoy his Lincoln Rhyme series, but this is the second stand alone novel of his that I really haven't enjoyed. The characters were unlikeable, I really didn't care what happened to them. Therefore, it was not a very enjoyable book for me.
Marianne
Mar 11, 2011 Marianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard News is the third (and, so far, final) book in Jeffrey Deaver’s Rune series. Rune is still living on her houseboat on the Hudson, now working for a TV network and becomes convinced that a man convicted of murdering the network boss has been wrongly jailed. She is determined to prove him innocent and get him set free. In this book, Rune manages to attract the ire of a bitchy anchorwoman, become the target of a hitman (once again), and find herself with the custody of a three-year-old girl. W ...more
Hubjeanne
Aug 22, 2015 Hubjeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love anything by Deaver. This was not one of his nail-biters, which in some cases is a good thing, but it held my interest from start to finish. I liked it and will always be a fan of Deaver!!!
Ian Fenton
Not the best Jeffery Deaver I've read, but an enjoyable read. I think it's safe to say that there aren't going to be any more in the series, which is a shame. I thought the ending was a bit abrupt.
Dan Smith
May 26, 2014 Dan Smith rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I could not finish this book. I tried hard to get interested, but just could not get myself to read more than about a third..Not a fan of the character of this book.
Laura D
Mar 01, 2014 Laura D rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I lost interest in this book about a third of the way through. I guess I just didn't care about the characters and the mystery wasn't strong enough to keep me reading.
Ronald Wilcox
Third book in the Rune Trilogy. Rune is a young woman who is very independent and remains true to herself in the way she expresses who she is. This time she is working at a news station as a camerawoman. She finds a letter sent to the station by a man in prison who claims he was wrongfully incarcerated. She watches old videos of him when he was first arrested and decides he really is innocent. She convinces a Network reporter to create a segment about the man's innocence despite the fact that th ...more
Francesco
Vote: 3,50
Class: L-A3 (FP)

(Third book of the Rune Series; it's an early work of Deaver)

This last Rune novel is, finally, a real Deaver thriller, even if not one of his best: it's a good book, sometimes even great. I liked it: the story and the characters are good, the writing style is great and I liked the subtle humor in background.

The plot (3,50) is well thought and well told (writing style: 4,00), better than the others Rune books; the ending is the usual breathtaking Deaver.

The characters (3
Jc
Jun 14, 2014 Jc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was simply fun to read. It doesn't hazbe much else going for it but it doesn't matter because its still fun
Levent Mollamustafaoglu
This early Jeffery Deaver novel is nowhere near his later masterpieces (especially the Lincoln Rhym novels). I did not find too many twists & turns as the book cover blurb claims to have.
Ron
May 11, 2014 Ron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quirky story with a quirky character. Rune is well portrayed and the plot keeps you interested.
Ellen
I like a lot of Jeffrey Deaver's books--this one was OK, the story line wasn't that believable and the resolution of the conflict in it didn't make sense, but I really liked the main character and want to read his other books that include her.
Chris Longmuir
I'm a fan of Jeffrey Deaver so was looking forward to reading this book, however I was a bit disappointed. The book took too long to get to the exciting part which was about two thirds through and when it did there were no great surprises. I hadn't read any of the Rune series before, and the character was likeable enough, but I just didn't feel that this book was up to Deaver's usual standard. It won't stop me reading him, however, because I know he can produce much better novels than this one.
Sandy
Aug 06, 2011 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Not what I'm used to from Deaver. I had a really hard time taking the main character, Rune, seriously. Character development was shallow. Some of the story lines were not thought out and/or not followed through. I.e., Rune taking Courtney from the shelter and no action from the shelter or the state for a missing child?

However, with that said, about three-quarters through the book things started pulling together and the story did have a solid and realistic ending.
Rog Harrison
Sep 12, 2009 Rog Harrison rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't felt like reading since I got back from London last month so had not been to the library. However as I was going on a train journey I took this book which someone had given me five years ago and I had never fancied reading. Granted the story moves along well enough but the characters are implausible and the last part of the story is ridiculous. However it did motivate me to go to the library so I now have a pile of books to read!
Feb 18, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favourite out of the Rune series. This novel brings out another side of the quirky Rune which I really enjoyed. As always, Deaver blew me away with the incredible twists and turns as the story unfolds. However, I did get a little confused towards the end with the plot chopping and changing so quickly. Overall, a great read as I managed to knock it over in a few days!
Marti
Sep 13, 2012 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an okay book, with some good parts. I prefer the Lincoln Rhyme-Amelia Sachs series, but this isn't too bad. It rather twists and turns at the end, and I would have preferred a different ending, but then, I didn't write it. At times, it seems rather off the wall, but there is some basic solidness to it, too. Maybe I shall find aa Rune book I like better.
Tom
Jul 31, 2012 Tom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always like Jeffrey Deaver for the additional information he packs into his books and this is no exception. There are a few loose ends left but if you just want to get straight into a decent thriller and lose yourself in the excitement then this book is for you.
Lynda Kelly
Dec 16, 2015 Lynda Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A shame he dumped this series. I preferred it to the Rhyme stories.
Susan Leonard
3rd of Deavers 'Rune' books, an enjoyable easy read, best of the 3 in my opinion. I like the quirky character of Rune, the book has an interesting main story and sub-plot and is well written. Please write another 'Rune', Mr Deaver.
Beth
Jul 17, 2011 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, short read. Main character is profoundly stupid and just gets by with luck. Deaver always includes a red herring and the bad guy is always someone you least expect. Not my favorite, but good.
Afsana
Aug 25, 2009 Afsana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jeffery deaver fans,
I enjoyed this book there was a great twist which I was surprised with

I loved the idea of the inexperience Camerwomen Rune trying to do a story and the the who dunnit was another surprise!!!
Liz
Oct 01, 2008 Liz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another lively Rune story - this time she sorta becomes a mother and almost produces a valuable prison documentary. Fun books. Can't wait for the fourth.
Jascha
Jul 21, 2013 Jascha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4 and a half stars to this book. I don't really like the kind of writing, but the story does have so many twists and surprisings that I was simply amazed!
Tim Laven
John Deaver books are tight and interesting but this one did not interest me as they normally do.
  • Bloody River Blues (John Pellam, #2)
  • In Their Footsteps / Thief Of Hearts
  • Love And Glory
  • Passport To Peril (Hard Case Crime #57)
  • Hybrid (Heathen, #2)
  • Agents of Innocence
  • Pekáč buchet
  • The One That Got Away
  • A Silent Witness
  • Quarry's List (Quarry, #2)
  • Mistress of the Underground (Secret Vampire Society #4)
  • The Strength of the Pack (Northern Shifters, #1)
  • Final Round
  • Assassin's Shadow
  • Hot Property
  • Adolf. Äch bin wieder da!!
  • The Mastership Game
  • The Gracie Allen Murder Case (A Philo Vance Mystery #11)
Jeffery Deaver was born outside of Chicago in 1950. His father was an advertising copywriter and his mother was a homemaker. Deaver worked as a magazine writer, then, to gain the background needed to become a legal correspondent for The New York Times or Wall Street Journal, he enrolled at Fordham Law School. In 1990 he started to write full time. Deaver has been nominated for six Edgar Awards fro ...more
More about Jeffery Deaver...

Rune (3 books)
  • Manhattan Is My Beat (Rune, #1)
  • Death Of A Blue Movie Star (Rune, #2)