Start by marking “The Baby Beebee Bird” as Want to Read:
The Baby Beebee Bird

The Baby Beebee Bird

It's night time at the zoo, and all the animals are wide awake. The new baby beebee bird is keeping everyone up with his happy night song. Will they ever get some sleep?
Published April 29th 2003 by HarperCollins (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about The Baby Beebee Bird, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Baby Beebee Bird

Marissa García
Apr 28, 2012 Marissa García rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humorous, birds, zoo, noisy
There’s a new addition to the zoo: a baby beebee bird, who likes to stay awake at night when the rest of the zoo wants to sleep. The baby beebee bird keeps the other animals up with his incessant “beebeebobbibobbis”, before settling down to snooze when the sun comes up. The animals can’t take it! They hatch a plan to give the baby beebee bird a taste of his own medicine. They “beebeebobbibobbi” all day to interrupt the baby beebee bird’s sleep, making for a very cranky bird who gives in a decide ...more
Ginny Marie
Dec 10, 2010 Ginny Marie rated it really liked it
The baby beebee bird is a new addition to the zoo...and the other animals are annoyed! But why? The little beebee bird is so small and cute! The very first night of the beebee bird's stay, he is up all night singing his song. "Beebee bobbi bobbi! Beebee bobbi bobbi!" Will the other zoo animals ever get some sleep? All the zoo animals, from the lion to the giraffe, hatch a plan to make the beebee bird stop singing at night. With pictures by one of my favorite illustrators, Steven Kellogg, this bo ...more
Gemma
Feb 11, 2017 Gemma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: second-100-books
Very funny for kids and grownups!!
Shanshad Whelan
Mar 11, 2009 Shanshad Whelan rated it really liked it
Always a good read for a first grade class, provided the reader is in good voice and the class is not too rambunctious. The constant "noise" of "beebee bobbi" throughout the story can get a little wearing for adults, but is generally hysterical for the kids. It probably would also work well as a book to work out some restless energy before a child winds down for bed, followed up by a calmer book. The concept is amusing and one even a young child will get--making lots of noise at night when other ...more
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I hope no one combines this edition with the one illustrated by Steven Kellogg. This is the original story with the original pictures that my mother used to read to my niece whenever she stayed overnight. I used to listen too, because I enjoyed the story so much. Later, I used it with great success in story times, having a ball making the baby beebee bird's call. A few years ago it came out with new illustrations by Steven Kellogg, which are fine, but I like this version best.
Deary Darling
Nov 05, 2015 Deary Darling rated it it was amazing
*squeaking* beebeebibbibobbi! This book is so precious ... in the 24 hours since i acquired it from a 10 cent bin at a thrift shop i have inflicted this book on everyone i know lol ... and have not failed to delight. The artwork is so perfectly quirky ... the story simplistic, yet SO fun ... i cannot wait to discover more of Diane Redfield Massey's creations : ) Heck! I'd like to live in a Diane Redfield Massey world!

Beebibbibobbi!
Maryanne
Jul 13, 2010 Maryanne rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Definitely a go-to book for animal-themed storytimes - there are a lot of opportunities for kids to join in with roars, "beebees," elephant trumpets, etc.; great illustrations; a simple story; and opportunities to make the story come alive with puppets. Somewhat exhausting though - so best to end with this one rather than start with it!
Kate
Jun 15, 2009 Kate rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-favorites
This is a book for children that like to make animal noises- and silly ones at that! The new baby beebee bird at the zoo keeps all the other animals up one night with his singing, and they must hatch a plan to get him to sing during the day and sleep at night. While the illustrations aren't as wonderful as the story itself, the animals are nicely done and this is a fun read for bedtime.
Katie
Jan 02, 2008 Katie added it
Shelves: used-at-work
This was a HUGE hit with my K-2 students. It really lends itself to lots of creative voices for the animal characters. Also, if you have a fidgety group that likes to chat more than listen during story time, you can let them make the animal noises at different points of the book (this came in really handy!). Also, it syncs well with the Kindergarten weekly letter unit on the letter B.
Maria
wonderful book to share with preschooler and elementary. If they have a younger sibling or know a newborn, they can relate to having someone keeping them up at night. It's great to have the kids participating in the baby beebee bird's song..
Christa Balero
Sep 19, 2016 Christa Balero rated it really liked it
Picture Book-
I love this story because the illustrations show a lot about the characters. It helps you visualize the sounds that take place in the story. You could use this book to talk about expression.
Kimberly
Nov 30, 2012 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Awesome! Glad I read this one on a Friday as the kids couldn't stop chanting "beebeebobbibobbi" for the rest of the day. They can take that home to their parents and hopefully forget it over the weekend. :)
Marcie
Mar 04, 2009 Marcie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This one had both my girls laughing. It's the story of a new baby bird at the zoo that sings all night long and keeps the other animals awake. It's got a lot of good animal sounds so it's fun to read aloud.
Aug 01, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes kids' books
Wow! Thank goodness for Weekly Reader Children's Book Club! This was at the top of my list as a child. I loved having my mom read to me the silly way this bird would sing. I *highly* recommend it to anyone who enjoys a good, silly children's book.
Lara
I liked the idea of this, but thought it kind of got old fast. Still, the illustrations are pretty cute, and, like I said, the idea is funny. And there are lots of animal noises in it, which are always fun for preschoolers.
Heather
May 07, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
My kids absolutely loved this book - maybe more how my dh read it than the book - I'm not sure as I was never allowed to read it to them - ha ha...must mark this one so I can find it again to check out.
Lindsay
Apr 27, 2013 Lindsay rated it really liked it
Shelves: preschool
My kids loved it! It's a great opportunity for the teacher-as-reader to get silly imitating the Beebee bird as well, and to encourage them to participate. For older kids this book could be the launch pad for science discussions regarding animal sleeping habits.
Dolly
Jul 10, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet and lyrical story to read with younger children at bedtime. The narrative is fun to read aloud, and the baby Beebee bird is adorable. Our girls loved imitating his sounds (a little too much!) and we all enjoyed reading this book together.
Kelsey Peterson
Dec 22, 2012 Kelsey Peterson rated it it was amazing
This was my absolute favorite book when I was a child. My grandpa used to read it to me all the time before he died and I still have the copy that he read to me. It is a great book for young children who can't read and great for those learning to read too.
Trisan
Sep 17, 2013 Trisan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-2
Hilarious! Please read to your child.
Rebecca Dean
This is a good book to help with the dicussion on manners. The lesson in this book is to treat others how you would want to be treated.
Emma
Jan 12, 2010 Emma rated it really liked it
The animals at the zoo are ready to go to sleep after a long day of raoring and squawking. However, the Baby Beebee Bird has just woken up and has different plans for the night.
Thuy
Mar 11, 2016 Thuy rated it really liked it
oh the joys of sleep training
Vicki
The zoo animals find a way to keep the baby beebee bird awake during the day so that they can get some sleep at night. Very entertaining!
Kim
Mar 26, 2008 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Yet another great read aloud beook for all ages. My nieces and nepher love this book and frequently ask me to read it to them.
Ashlyn Kesler
Repetition of /b/
Jessie
Mar 11, 2009 Jessie rated it it was amazing
My ABSOLUTE FAVORITE book to read aloud in story time. Gets laughs every time...but you have to use voices.
Highly recommend it for any preschooler/toddler!
Kirsti S.
Mar 11, 2009 Kirsti S. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Own. I bought this at the library book sale and it is the old edition that has better artwork.
Adam
Mar 13, 2008 Adam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Grandma gave us this book. It's great for times when you want a book that gets kids making lots of noise. This book will not keep kids quiet.
Nov 05, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the lesson in this book and the illustration is awesome.
  • The Best Pet of All
  • What! Cried Granny
  • Hi, Pizza Man!
  • Come Along, Daisy!
  • We've All Got Bellybuttons!
  • Ivan the Terrier
  • Chicky Chicky Chook Chook
  • Dusty Locks and the Three Bears
  • Tanka Tanka Skunk!
  • Tiger Can't Sleep
  • Clip-Clop
  • What Do You Do When Something Wants To Eat You?
  • Edwina the Emu