Start by marking “Monster Manual II (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2016)” as Want to Read:
Monster Manual II (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2016)

Monster Manual II (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition)

This is the third of the series of world famous AD&D role-playing aids. It is the ideal vehicle of imagination for intermediate through advanced players and referees, ages 10 and up.

"the most complete alphabetical listing and description of the latest AD&D game creatures"

A must for the serious AD&D gameplayer. This manual contains all the new members,from Abish
Published October 28th 1983 by TSR, Inc. (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Monster Manual II, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Monster Manual II

Jason Koivu
Like an inevitable sequel to a blockbuster hit movie, Monster Manual II brings more of the same...WITH MORE INTENSITY!!!...and yet less integrity.

All the best monsters, those tried-and-true mythical beasties everyone knows and loves, most all of them were in the Monster Manual and Fiend Folio. Sure, this one has more dragons, demons, and dinosaurs (D&D provided way more dinosaurs than necessary!), but they were the lesser known bastards and unwanted stepchildren of the real-deals. And you c
Greg
Dec 26, 2007 Greg rated it really liked it
Once again a younger me is rating this. I spent way too many hours in my room and on car trips reading this book and thinking 'wow this is cool'. Funny I'd be enthralled by this book, when at this age the thought of reading a fantasy novel seemed like something I'd really hate to do.
Megan
Jan 16, 2009 Megan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
C'mon... who doesn't miss playing D&D all night? :) Besides the fact that I was young, had no mortgage or job worth keeping, blew my entire paycheck on weed & Taco Bell ~ this was a totally kick ass game to play! I'm just sorry I don't have more of these books lying around.
Mike (the Paladin)
Feb 28, 2010 Mike (the Paladin) rated it really liked it
Even more monsters and creatures to add to the ones in the first manual. These books are just flat fun. These books really can be enjoyed even if you don't play Dungeons and Dragons (though you'll obviously appreciate them more if you do) enjoy.
Michael
Sep 08, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fantasy gamers, gaming historians, nostalgic gamers
Recommended to Michael by: Dragon magazine
Shelves: role-playing, fantasy
While the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Fiend Folio disappointed me at the time, this supplemental list of monsters for the AD&D universe did not. I believe that the "Folio" was regarded as a less-successful release by TSR as well, and they avoided some of the mistakes when they released this volume. More time was taken to compile monsters from a wider variety of sources, and these monsters give the sense of having been more carefully considered and play-tested than those in the Folio. I us ...more
Tetra
Nov 26, 2014 Tetra rated it it was amazing
MM2 had some silly monsters in it (not as silly as Fiend Folio though, which has a bunny rabbit with a unicorn horn), but it also had the Tarrasque, a slew of devils and demons, the introduction of the daemon, and most impressively, to fight all these bad guys, D&D's equivalent of angels, known as divas, planetars and solars.

I particularly liked the second appearance of unique devils and demons, including my favorite, Pazuzu. As a DM he was as fun to play as any player character. While Monst
Christopher
Dec 19, 2014 Christopher rated it liked it
Shelves: rpgs-and-hobbies
So glad I found an old used copy of this at a yard sale. I have no plans and no interest in ever going back into ADnD, and was lucky enough to only barely skim its surface before things got better due to my age, but you just gotta love the illustrations in this baby in the time before high budget and computer brushed up artwork.
Vali
Jun 14, 2013 Vali rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, reference, gaming
See my review for the Dungeon Master's Guide.
Ivan
Oct 07, 2013 Ivan rated it it was amazing
The monster manuals are great references for writing fantasy fiction and story telling.
Ron
May 15, 2012 Ron rated it really liked it
Excellant gaming referance. Part of the 1st edition set.
Abraham Ray
Mouse
Mouse rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2009
J.D. Hollyfield
J.D. Hollyfield rated it really liked it
Feb 29, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Brooks Collins
Brooks Collins rated it liked it
Apr 30, 2015
Zach
Zach rated it it was amazing
Aug 21, 2012
Brian
Brian rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2012
Christopher Wimble
Christopher Wimble rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2017
Alexander
Alexander rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2013
Jason C.
Jason C. rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2016
Juan
Juan rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2011
Seth
Seth rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2014
Woo
Woo rated it liked it
Jun 21, 2013
Lee
Lee rated it really liked it
Mar 24, 2010
Ian
Ian rated it it was amazing
Sep 22, 2013
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2009
Dustin Anderson
Dustin Anderson rated it it was amazing
May 17, 2012
Jason Valletta
Jason Valletta rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2012
Fred
Fred rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2012
  • Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Fiend Folio
  • Deities & Demigods: Cyclopedia of Gods and Heroes from Myth and Legend (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition)
  • Monstrous Manual
  • Dungeoneer's Survival Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2019)
  • Player's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2101)
  • Dungeons and Dragons Rules Cyclopedia
  • The Forgotten Realms: Campaign Set
  • Wilderness Survival Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2020)
  • Forgotten Realms Atlas, The (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #8442)
  • Queen of the Demonweb Pits (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons module Q1)
  • Forgotten Realms: Adventures (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2106)
  • Player's Handbook Rules Supplement: The Complete Wizard's Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2115)
  • Dragonlance: Adventures (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2021)
  • Dungeon Master's Guide Rules Supplement: Arms and Equipment Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2123)
  • White Plume Mountain
  • Monster Manual (Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition)
  • Player's Handbook Rules Supplement: The Complete Psionics Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 2nd Edition, Stock #2117)
Ernest Gary Gygax was an American writer and game designer, best known for co-creating the pioneering role-playing game Dungeons & Dragons (D&D) with Dave Arneson in 1974, and co-founding the company Tactical Studies Rules (TSR, Inc.) with Don Kaye in 1973.

After leaving TSR, Gygax continued to author role-playing game titles independently, including another gaming system called Lejendary
More about Gary Gygax...

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Monster Manual (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2009)
  • Players Handbook (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons Core Rulebook)
  • Dungeon Masters Guide (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition)
  • Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Fiend Folio
  • Unearthed Arcana (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons 1st Edition, Stock #2017)
  • Oriental Adventures (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons)
  • Manual of the Planes (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons )