Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do

Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do (Five Little Monkeys)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  30 reviews
It's summer, school is out, and the five little monkeys are bored. "There is nothing to do!" they tell Mama. "Oh yes, there is," says Mama. "Grandma Bessie is coming for lunch, and the house must be neat and clean." Well-meaning as ever, the five little monkeys clean their room and go on to sweep the floors, scrub the bathroom, and pick berries for dessert. But then . . ....more
Published April 24th 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do

Miranda Jones
This book was rather humorous because the five little monkeys try to help out their mother clean the house in preparation for their grandmother’s visit. What was funny about it was that the little monkeys were so focused on getting the cleaning and chores done, that they ended up getting themselves all dirty. For example, while beating the rugs, the rugs ended up getting clean, yet all of the dirt ended up on the little monkeys. Also, when they went to pick berries, they stomped in mud. The moth...more
Mariah Olson
Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do is only one short book in a series of the Five Little Monkeys books about counting. It's summertime and the 5 siblings are bored because they can't find anything to do so Mama gives them chores to get the house neat and clean before their grandmother comes. On every page the five monkeys are shown doing chores like picking up their bedroom until there's no clothes on the floor, scrubbing the bathroom until it was shiny and clean, and go pick berries for des...more
Autumn

We picked this book up from our local library.

Yet here we are again with another funny monkey book. I really liked this one as it gave me ideas to use to get my son to do some chores. Being a parent I hear the "I have nothing to do" a lot especially during the summer when he is use to school. So reading this book I was like hmmm gonna have to try something like this the next time I hear those words. All the hard work the monkeys do only to end up back where they were at the beginning I can see w...more
Alex Bemis
This is another book I loved to read to my little brother when I was younger. This is a good book with lots of repetition and illustrations. Children can look at the pictures and predict what will happen next.
Ina
With great illustrations and the repeated phrase of "we have nothing to do", the famous (infamous?) five little monkeys get into trouble again. Mama comes up with a number of activities (like cleaning their room, and scrubbing the bathroom) to keep them occupied, and this works well - until she sends them down to pick some berries for Grandma Bessie's arrival...and they return dirty, muddy messes. In getting ready for Grandma's arrival they undo all their hard work and mess up the lovely clean h...more
Kelsey Bigelow
A cute and easy read for young readers, while also relatable for parents. This book is a favorite in my experience purely because it has colorful pictures and monkeys!
Robert Beveridge
Ellen Christelow, Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do (Clarion, 1996)

Third entry in Christelow's wildly successful series has the Monkey family getting ready for Grandma Bessie's arrival. Each time the FLM say they're bored, mama gives them something else to do to get ready for Bessie's arrival. All well and good, until mama puts one request in just the wrong order... another entry where Christelow abandoned the rhyme scheme of the other books, which does each a service when it happens. Anoth...more
PWRL
Jun 23, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Ashlyn Barker
Cute, but doesn't particularly standout. Somewhat predictable though which would be useful for emerging readers. I suspect most children would enjoy it, while parents can relate!
Rachel Yingling
This is a cute book that uses the familiar five little monkeys to tell a story. The five little monkeys are bored so their mother puts them to work helping her get ready for their Aunt's visit. Everyone works really hard to get the house clean. After the monkeys pick berries they go back into the house to get cleaned up and in doing so make a huge mess. They are completely unaware of the mess they are making and when their Aunt arrives they are just as surprised as she is at the mess.
Daniel
We have, as a family, enjoyed the "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" book, and thought that this might be fun as well. The children will isten to it when it's read aloud at bedtime, but it's never a first choice to have read. Perhaps the 'moral' is a little too strong, or perhaps it's too simple, or perhaps it's just no fun to be shown how good little monkeys listen to their mother and clean their room, and the bathroom, etc. In any case, this just doesn't quite get us excited.
Mortis Boys
The boy really liked this one.
Cana
Mommy says: Very, very cute. Mothers will really enjoy reading this book about 5 bored little monkeys whose Mama un-bores them by making them clean the house for Grandma's arrival. Surprise ending.

It's prose, so don't expect it to have the catchy rhyme of the original 5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed. Great little tale.
Adam Hardesty
This is a fun book with characters that kids can relate to. The monkeys are bored at home and their mom gives them chores but they end up making a bigger mess of things than cleaning. This is a fun predictable book that would be good for any elementary grade.
June
Jul 31, 2013 June rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: 5 Little Monkey fans
Used this for my PJ Story Time and Story Time. I had older children at the PJ and they seemed to enjoy this new version of the 5 little monkeys. It might have been a little old for the Story Time group, but I think the majority of them got it.
Jen
It's summertime and the five little monkeys are out of school and bored. Mama tells them that Grandma Bessie is coming, so there are plenty of things to do around the house like cleaning! I loved how the monkeys cleaned up!
Vivian
This worked perfectly with the story-time theme "Jobs" because mother monkey praised her little monkeys with the phrase "good job" each time they completed a chore.
Terry
A cute story. The prose is sparse--but effective--and the illustrations are SOOO expressive. This is a fun read, even after several weeks of nightly reads.
Amy
Parents and children will recognize the Mama Monkey's technique for dealing with boredom -
I also laughed at the results of the monkey's cleaning efforts.
Kendra
Remember when you told you mom you were bored and she said, "I'll give you something to do!"? Well, the five little monkeys were bored...
Suzanne
Not as good as the jumping on the bed or the teasing the crocodile installments, but my daughter got a kick out of it.
Taylor
I read this to my little brother and he loved it. I like it as a good little kids book.
There is ALWAYS something to do when you are bored...just ask Mom!
Samantha
A good story, funny for kids. It will make moms cringe.
Ashlee
Finally someone gets why the house is never clean!
Christi
Mei Mei is a big fan of the Five Little Monkey books
Mar 05, 2010 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
We Love the Five Little MOnkeys
Jen Barker
Love all of these! Clever and fun.
Baranie
The is the story of my life.
Cws
  • Curious George Goes to a Chocolate Factory
  • What Moms Can't Do
  • Song of the Swallows
  • Cookie's Week
  • Does a Kangaroo Have a Mother, Too?
  • Biscuit Goes to School
  • One Hen: How One Small Loan Made a Big Difference
  • The Desert Is Theirs
  • The Rescuers (Disney's Wonderful World of Reading)
  • The Runaway Pumpkin
  • Glad Monster, Sad Monster
  • Nothing At All
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Look Out Kindergarten, Here I Come
  • Frog Went a-Courtin'
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Fly Guy (Fly Guy, #4)
  • Happy Easter, Mouse!
Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree Five Little Monkeys Reading in Bed Five Little Monkeys Wash the Car Five Little Monkeys Play Hide and Seek