Start by marking “Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do” as Want to Read:
Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do

Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do (Five Little Monkeys)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  276 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
It's summer, school is out, and the five little monkeys are bored. "There is nothing to do!" they tell Mama. "Oh yes, there is," says Mama. "Grandma Bessie is coming for lunch, and the house must be neat and clean." Well-meaning as ever, the five little monkeys clean their room and go on to sweep the floors, scrub the bathroom, and pick berries for dessert. But then . . . ...more
Published April 24th 2000 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do

Kiana Gerard
Oct 20, 2014 Kiana Gerard rated it liked it
Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do is the sequel to Eileen Christelow's famous Five Little Monkeys Sitting in a Tree. This book is fun for all ages. When the Five Monkeys are stuck in the middle of summer with nothing to do, Mother sends the five little monkeys on outrageous tasks to get ready for Grandma Bessie's visit. Christelow brings wit and humor to all children!

Just by looking at the cover of the book, you can sense the boredom on the monkey's faces and positions of their bodies on th
Bryant Schumacher
Feb 21, 2015 Bryant Schumacher rated it liked it
Shelves: etec-545-class-2
Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do, featuring the recurring cast of primates from Eileen Christelow’s series, are experiencing some downtime over the summer. With suggestion from the group’s mother, the monkeys spend the majority of the book cleaning their room, scrubbing the bathroom, doing laundry, and getting dirty enough in the process to do it all over again. There is decent flow to the story and is geared toward teaching principles of cleanliness and household chores.

Christelow’s adole
Alexis Jennings (ASU)
Sep 24, 2014 Alexis Jennings (ASU) rated it it was amazing
A family of monkeys tries to keep busy after plenty of boredom. Mama suggest they get the house clean when Grandma Bessie come to visit. After celeaning their rooms, scrub the bathroom and beat the rugs, the houe looks flawless. The Five Little Monkeys do a fantastic job until they decide to pick some berries for Aunt Bessie.

The illustrations fill the pages with bright colors. With so many characters, it's fun to examine all the details the illustrator portrayed. Even though the main characters
Miranda Jones
Dec 01, 2013 Miranda Jones rated it liked it
This book was rather humorous because the five little monkeys try to help out their mother clean the house in preparation for their grandmother’s visit. What was funny about it was that the little monkeys were so focused on getting the cleaning and chores done, that they ended up getting themselves all dirty. For example, while beating the rugs, the rugs ended up getting clean, yet all of the dirt ended up on the little monkeys. Also, when they went to pick berries, they stomped in mud. The moth ...more
Bari
Jul 21, 2015 Bari rated it it was amazing
This really adorable version of Five Little Monkeys is a great summer story time choice. The monkeys are on summer vacation and are bored with nothing to do.

Recently used this for a library story time for children ages 18 months to age 3. All the kids loved it.

Highly recommend!

Mariah Olson
Nov 14, 2013 Mariah Olson rated it really liked it
Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do is only one short book in a series of the Five Little Monkeys books about counting. It's summertime and the 5 siblings are bored because they can't find anything to do so Mama gives them chores to get the house neat and clean before their grandmother comes. On every page the five monkeys are shown doing chores like picking up their bedroom until there's no clothes on the floor, scrubbing the bathroom until it was shiny and clean, and go pick berries for des ...more
Autumn
Apr 07, 2016 Autumn rated it it was amazing

We picked this book up from our local library.

Yet here we are again with another funny monkey book. I really liked this one as it gave me ideas to use to get my son to do some chores. Being a parent I hear the "I have nothing to do" a lot especially during the summer when he is use to school. So reading this book I was like hmmm gonna have to try something like this the next time I hear those words. All the hard work the monkeys do only to end up back where they were at the beginning I can see w
Maritza Mejia
Apr 20, 2016 Maritza Mejia rated it it was amazing
With humor and rhyme, the author develops the story when the Five Monkeys are stuck in the middle of summer with nothing to do, but mother sends the five little monkeys on tasks Great reading for K-1 graders.
Ina
Feb 06, 2012 Ina rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime-reads
With great illustrations and the repeated phrase of "we have nothing to do", the famous (infamous?) five little monkeys get into trouble again. Mama comes up with a number of activities (like cleaning their room, and scrubbing the bathroom) to keep them occupied, and this works well - until she sends them down to pick some berries for Grandma Bessie's arrival...and they return dirty, muddy messes. In getting ready for Grandma's arrival they undo all their hard work and mess up the lovely clean h ...more
Bree
Mar 14, 2015 Bree rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
best part according to my 5 year old was when they cleaned up for their grandma's visit. my favorite part was the repetitive phrases that my daughter was able to "read" with me.
Alex Bemis
Sep 28, 2014 Alex Bemis rated it really liked it
This is another book I loved to read to my little brother when I was younger. This is a good book with lots of repetition and illustrations. Children can look at the pictures and predict what will happen next.
Leslie Fisher
Sep 09, 2015 Leslie Fisher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I relate so much to this book.
Katie Casey
Mar 09, 2015 Katie Casey rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-kids
Oh, we love those 5 little monkeys!
Kelsey Bigelow
Jan 23, 2014 Kelsey Bigelow rated it liked it
A cute and easy read for young readers, while also relatable for parents. This book is a favorite in my experience purely because it has colorful pictures and monkeys!
Robert Beveridge
Ellen Christelow, Five Little Monkeys with Nothing to Do (Clarion, 1996)

Third entry in Christelow's wildly successful series has the Monkey family getting ready for Grandma Bessie's arrival. Each time the FLM say they're bored, mama gives them something else to do to get ready for Bessie's arrival. All well and good, until mama puts one request in just the wrong order... another entry where Christelow abandoned the rhyme scheme of the other books, which does each a service when it happens. Anoth
PWRL
Jun 23, 2014 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-new
SM
Ashlyn Barker
Cute, but doesn't particularly standout. Somewhat predictable though which would be useful for emerging readers. I suspect most children would enjoy it, while parents can relate!
Rachel Yingling
This is a cute book that uses the familiar five little monkeys to tell a story. The five little monkeys are bored so their mother puts them to work helping her get ready for their Aunt's visit. Everyone works really hard to get the house clean. After the monkeys pick berries they go back into the house to get cleaned up and in doing so make a huge mess. They are completely unaware of the mess they are making and when their Aunt arrives they are just as surprised as she is at the mess.
Daniel
Feb 18, 2008 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
We have, as a family, enjoyed the "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" book, and thought that this might be fun as well. The children will isten to it when it's read aloud at bedtime, but it's never a first choice to have read. Perhaps the 'moral' is a little too strong, or perhaps it's too simple, or perhaps it's just no fun to be shown how good little monkeys listen to their mother and clean their room, and the bathroom, etc. In any case, this just doesn't quite get us excited.
Mortis Boys
Jan 30, 2014 Mortis Boys rated it really liked it
The boy really liked this one.
Cana
Oct 22, 2008 Cana rated it really liked it
Mommy says: Very, very cute. Mothers will really enjoy reading this book about 5 bored little monkeys whose Mama un-bores them by making them clean the house for Grandma's arrival. Surprise ending.

It's prose, so don't expect it to have the catchy rhyme of the original 5 Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed. Great little tale.
Adam Hardesty
Jun 30, 2012 Adam Hardesty rated it really liked it
This is a fun book with characters that kids can relate to. The monkeys are bored at home and their mom gives them chores but they end up making a bigger mess of things than cleaning. This is a fun predictable book that would be good for any elementary grade.
June
Jul 31, 2013 June rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 5 Little Monkey fans
Used this for my PJ Story Time and Story Time. I had older children at the PJ and they seemed to enjoy this new version of the 5 little monkeys. It might have been a little old for the Story Time group, but I think the majority of them got it.
Jen
Jul 20, 2011 Jen rated it liked it
It's summertime and the five little monkeys are out of school and bored. Mama tells them that Grandma Bessie is coming, so there are plenty of things to do around the house like cleaning! I loved how the monkeys cleaned up!
Vivian
Nov 18, 2010 Vivian rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This worked perfectly with the story-time theme "Jobs" because mother monkey praised her little monkeys with the phrase "good job" each time they completed a chore.
Terry
A cute story. The prose is sparse--but effective--and the illustrations are SOOO expressive. This is a fun read, even after several weeks of nightly reads.
Amy
Aug 07, 2008 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Parents and children will recognize the Mama Monkey's technique for dealing with boredom -
I also laughed at the results of the monkey's cleaning efforts.
Kendra
Oct 16, 2013 Kendra rated it liked it
Remember when you told you mom you were bored and she said, "I'll give you something to do!"? Well, the five little monkeys were bored...
Jennie
Apr 24, 2016 Jennie rated it it was amazing
My granddaughter loves for me to read this to her. This is a favorite of all my grandchildren and it's a fun book to read aloud.
Suzanne
May 18, 2008 Suzanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Not as good as the jumping on the bed or the teasing the crocodile installments, but my daughter got a kick out of it.
  • Biscuit's Pet & Play Halloween
  • The Runaway Pumpkin
  • There's Something in My Attic
  • My Tooth Is About to Fall Out (Hello Reader! Level 1)
  • Me With You
  • "Stand Back," Said the Elephant, "I'm Going to Sneeze!"
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Paint the Porch
  • One Hen: How One Small Loan Made a Big Difference
  • Row Row Row Your Boat
  • Cinderella's Rat
  • Punctuation Takes a Vacation
  • May I Please Have a Cookie?
  • My Father the Dog
  • Duffy and the Devil
  • Clifford's First School Day
  • Froggy Eats Out
  • Happy Easter, Mouse!
  • What Moms Can't Do

Five Little Monkeys (10 books)
  • Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed