Start by marking “Race To The Pole” as Want to Read:
Race To The Pole

Race To The Pole

New Year's Day, 2009. Somewhere on the bottom of the world, six teams of adventurers and explorers have gathered to race one another, on foot, to the South Pole. It is the first time that anyone has undertaken such a race in almost a hundred years; the first time since the great Norwegian, Roald Amundsen, beat Captain Scott to the same goal in 1911.

The stakes are high, as
Published 2009 by MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about Race To The Pole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race To The Pole

chucklesthescot
I like this kind of adventure book, following a modern day race to the pole. I liked reading about the race and who was in it and the difficulties that they faced in this extreme environment.

Ben had a terrible time during the preparation for the expedition, catching a tropical disease that almost cost him the chance to compete and then the terrible loss of their unborn child. The mental strain of this and the physical trauma on his body...well, lesser mortals would never have made it to the sta
Simon Bendle
Ben Fogle tells us he signed up to race to the South Pole because he “wanted something with claws and teeth that would shake up my comfy life and remind me how lucky I was”. Well, he got that all right. This is an entertaining account of a truly grim journey, an 800km slog across the coldest, driest, windiest and highest continent on earth. Little has changed in Antarctica since Captain Scott and his men starved to death there a century ago. “Basically, it’s not a very hospitable place…” writes ...more
Ali Stetson
Aug 31, 2013 Ali Stetson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I found it entertaining and inspiring. I liked the fact that you got to read about two people's experience in one book and it was great to see the different points of view. It would've been good to hear from the third member of the team but overall i thought that this was a great read!
Liz
Aug 08, 2011 Liz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in exploration
This was a book I picked up from the Library after enjoying Frank Gardner's "Blood and Sand" and was looking for more travelling/exploration related books. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I was reading it during a trip to Norway so the timing fitted well. It is a fantastic story of a land most of us will never visit.
Nicola Eves
Mar 19, 2013 Nicola Eves rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, I liked the different perspectives that Ben and James had and became completely enthralled in their progress and the "will they or won't they succeed" moments. I could not put it down and had read it within 24 hours. I found the inter-relationships and team dynamics analysis interesting, especially the leadership/decision making bits.
Felix Tang
Overall was a good read, I still preferred Accidental Adventurer and Accidental Naturalist though. The writers jumps back and forth sometimes slowed the pace down and I feel it was less of an excitement this time. I like how Ben sometimes express hes emotion along with the scenery and some useful information of anyone plan to go somewhere minus 50c
Alyson Bryant

Disappointed with this book. Too much about the team dynamics, the competitiveness, and James Cracknell's feet, not enough about Antarctica itself. And I found it really weird that the story of a 3-man team was written by only 2 members of the team. I usually enjoy this type of book but wouldn't recommend this one :(
John Lane
Dec 25, 2014 John Lane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book it was a good story of hardship and stamina in adverse conditions well written.
Amy
Mar 25, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Really good for a bit of light reading! Just wish the third member of the team got to write in it too.
Bradley
Added a little to the TV series.

Would have been a lot better to hear from Dr Ed Coates in the book.
Lesley Thomson
An interesting book. Easier to read than I imagined. Written as a diary by two of the participants in the race to the pole.
Rona
Apr 18, 2010 Rona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not finished reading this book yet, am so slow at reading this week!!! So far its interesting with a few eye opening and funny parts! Will write a full review when I am finished...
Rachel
Jun 09, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it was good, funny in parts. I admire them for what they did. If you want something light hearted but interesting then its good
Charlie Gray
Charlie Gray rated it liked it
Feb 08, 2017
Hannah
Hannah rated it liked it
Jan 21, 2012
Jon Pinsker
Jon Pinsker rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2013
John Tolson
John Tolson rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2015
Louisegray90
Louisegray90 rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Helen
Helen rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2012
Clare
Clare rated it it was amazing
Dec 20, 2014
Rasmus Schmidt
Rasmus Schmidt rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2013
Venky
Venky rated it liked it
Oct 01, 2014
Andy Bate
Andy Bate rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2009
Laura rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2012
Louise
Louise rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2011
TheTinyBikeGirl
Jul 27, 2013 TheTinyBikeGirl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iiiiinteresting.
Chloe
Chloe rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2012
Craig Walker
Craig Walker rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2012
Alex Sheridan
Alex Sheridan rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2014
Gaynor
Gaynor rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Accidental Adventurer
  • The Shining Mountain: Two Men On Changabang's West Wall
  • Everest - The Hard Way
  • True Summit: What Really Happened on the Legendary Ascent on Annapurna
  • The Mountain: My Time on Everest
  • Dark Shadows Falling
  • The Boys of Everest: Chris Bonington and the Tragedy of Climbing's Greatest Generation
  • Addicted to Danger: A Memoir
  • Mountain Madness
  • Everest: Mountain without Mercy (Imax)
  • K2: Triumph and Tragedy
  • The Naked Mountain
  • The Chomolungma Diaries: What a commercial Everest expedition is really like
  • Just for the Love of It
  • Touch the Top of the World: A Blind Man's Journey to Climb Farther than the Eye Can See
  • A Day to Die For: 1996: Everest's Worst Disaster - One Survivor's Personal Journey to Uncover the Truth
  • Facing Up: A Remarkable Journey to the Summit of Mount Everest