Race To The Pole

Race To The Pole

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  105 ratings  ·  12 reviews

New Year's Day, 2009. Somewhere on the bottom of the world, six teams of adventurers and explorers have gathered to race one another, on foot, to the South Pole. It is the first time that anyone has undertaken such a race in almost a hundred years; the first time since the great Norwegian, Roald Amundsen, beat Captain Scott to the same goal in 1911.

The stakes are high,

Published 2009 by MacMillan

To ask other readers questions about Race To The Pole, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race To The Pole

Lesley Thomson
An interesting book. Easier to read than I imagined. Written as a diary by two of the participants in the race to the pole.
Simon Bendle
Ben Fogle tells us he signed up to race to the South Pole because he “wanted something with claws and teeth that would shake up my comfy life and remind me how lucky I was”. Well, he got that all right. This is an entertaining account of a truly grim journey, an 800km slog across the coldest, driest, windiest and highest continent on earth. Little has changed in Antarctica since Captain Scott and his men starved to death there a century ago. “Basically, it’s not a very hospitable place…” writes...more
Nicola Eves
I enjoyed this book, I liked the different perspectives that Ben and James had and became completely enthralled in their progress and the "will they or won't they succeed" moments. I could not put it down and had read it within 24 hours. I found the inter-relationships and team dynamics analysis interesting, especially the leadership/decision making bits.
Alyson Bryant

Disappointed with this book. Too much about the team dynamics, the competitiveness, and James Cracknell's feet, not enough about Antarctica itself. And I found it really weird that the story of a 3-man team was written by only 2 members of the team. I usually enjoy this type of book but wouldn't recommend this one :(
Ali Stetson
I really enjoyed this book. I found it entertaining and inspiring. I liked the fact that you got to read about two people's experience in one book and it was great to see the different points of view. It would've been good to hear from the third member of the team but overall i thought that this was a great read!
Liz
Aug 08, 2011 Liz rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in exploration
This was a book I picked up from the Library after enjoying Frank Gardner's "Blood and Sand" and was looking for more travelling/exploration related books. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I was reading it during a trip to Norway so the timing fitted well. It is a fantastic story of a land most of us will never visit.
Rona
I am not finished reading this book yet, am so slow at reading this week!!! So far its interesting with a few eye opening and funny parts! Will write a full review when I am finished...
Rachel
it was good, funny in parts. I admire them for what they did. If you want something light hearted but interesting then its good
Walk
Added a little to the TV series.

Would have been a lot better to hear from Dr Ed Coates in the book.
Amy
Really good for a bit of light reading! Just wish the third member of the team got to write in it too.
Jo
Would have been nice to have read Ed's experience of the book.
Lucy
Lucy marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Giedrė Karčiauskaitė
Giedrė Karčiauskaitė marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Allie
Allie marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
Paul Morgan
Paul Morgan marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Nicola Shrimpton
Nicola Shrimpton marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Crossing: Conquering The Atlantic In The World's Toughest Rowing Race Touching Distance Body Science James Cracknell's No-Gym Health Plan The Crossing: Conquering the Atlantic in the World's Toughest Rowing Race