Start by marking “Lucille: The Life of Lucille Ball” as Want to Read:
Lucille: The Life of Lucille Ball

Lucille: The Life of Lucille Ball

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  340 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
From her childhood, when abandonment stirred in her a relentless drive for love and attention, through her struggling years in vaudeville, radio, and films to the stormy personal and professional relationship with Desi Arnaz that made her a star and a business mogul, this definitive biography of Lucille Ball tells the complete story of a complex and passionate woman. Photo ...more
Published September 28th 1995 by Hyperion (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Lucille, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucille

Angela
Jul 03, 2015 Angela rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book to know more about the actress's life. It was a bit surfacey and didn't have much reflection in it but not terribly written. There was so much about contracts and the way deals worked for Desilu that didn't interest me very much. I will be interested to read her autobiography and see a different perspective.
Cosmic Arcata
I loved hearing about how much she liked to play and win at scrabble. Also her very conservative approach to business...or maybe that was both of them together.
Heather Key
May 28, 2015 Heather Key rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Graceann
Mar 31, 2008 Graceann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die Hard Lucy Fans
Shelves: biography
Please see my detailed review at Amazon.com Grace's "Lucille" Review

Please click that the review was helpful to you at Amazon so that my rating continues to climb! Thanks!

I need to dig into my library for more books on Lucille, Vivian, and William Frawley (I read Desi Arnaz's "A Book" many years ago), because this title was far from definitive. I think that Lucille, like Buster Keaton, is still waiting for that perfect author to come along and give us a well-researched, well-written, even-hand
Donna
Dec 07, 2014 Donna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best bio of Lucy, hands down.
Winter Sophia Rose
An Excellent Biography!
Tomerobber
Mar 20, 2013 Tomerobber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2013
This was a detailed biography of one of my favorite people. I knew most of the details of her life but this book filled in the few holes in my knowledge. The narration was okay but some street names were not pronounced correctly . . . now I know what people whose first language is not English think when the hear names and words mispronounced in those languages. After listening to this audio offering I wanted to get out my I LOVE LUCY DVD's and watch them all over again.
Kathy G.
Jul 12, 2011 Kathy G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kathleen Brady did a fantastic job with Lucy's biography. It told a sad and believable account of her life. It was tedious, in some places, with all the business side of Desilu, but intersperced were stories that broke it up. In all, I enjoyed this book and was glad I read it.
Erika
May 07, 2008 Erika rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lucy lovers, feminists
For Lucy fans, this is an absolute treasure. This book contains facts that previous authors have long since abandoned. However, it doesn't feel like useless information. It feels like things I should have known. Things EVERYONE should know, about Lucy.
Great read. Hard to put down.
Christine
Lucille Ball is my hero and this is well written, but the fact that the biographer portrayed her as a bit of a monster was very upsetting. I just don't want to believe half of what the author had to say-I don't think she fell enough in love with her subject.
Michele
I would have never guessed the events that took place in her life - exaggerated or not..lol..I love lucy! Great read!
May 04, 2015 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, memoir-bio
An enjoyable read if you are a Lucille Ball fan. If not, you might not find it very engaging.
Sandollar3
Mar 26, 2008 Sandollar3 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book chronicles the life of one of America's funniest female comedians, Lucille Ball.
Niece
May 29, 2015 Niece rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I love this lady...great bio about!
Aug 27, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All I can say is I just love lucy!
Stefania
Dec 11, 2010 Stefania rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting
Mary Ashmore
Mary Ashmore rated it really liked it
Feb 08, 2016
Madison Reese
Madison Reese marked it as to-read
Ryan Elmo
Ryan Elmo marked it as to-read
Reeda Hickman
Reeda Hickman marked it as to-read
Maria
Maria rated it liked it
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Alessio Maccarone
Alessio Maccarone rated it it was amazing
Feb 04, 2016
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Sara Reeves
Sara Reeves rated it really liked it
Jan 31, 2016
Bethany
Bethany marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Kathy Klavinger
Kathy Klavinger marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Tricia Stream
Tricia Stream rated it liked it
Feb 04, 2016
  • Self-Portrait
  • Bogart
  • Montgomery Clift: A Biography
  • The Girl Who Walked Home Alone: A Personal Biography of Bette Davis
  • Evenings with Cary Grant: Recollections in His Own Words and by Those Who Knew Him Best
  • Steps in Time