Start by marking “The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine” as Want to Read:
The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine

The Maiden King: The Reunion of Masculine and Feminine

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews

From Robert Bly, author of the groundbreaking bestseller Iron John, and famed Jungian analyst Marion Woodman comes an interpretation of a primordial folktale that takes the message behind Iron John to its next phase: the reunion of masculine and feminine. Bly and Woodman interpret the archetypal symbols embedded in an ancient Russian story, The Maiden King, a tale woven of
Published October 15th 1999 by Owl Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Maiden King, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maiden King

Tristy
Sep 15, 2011 Tristy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: women, therapy, myth, scavenged
I really wanted to like this. I'm a huge fan of Marion Woodman (why isn't she listed as co-author, Goodreads?) and Robert Bly is certainly a brilliant and interesting man. But there is so much wrong with this book. It's based on a workshop they co-facilitated together to bring the genders "back in touch with each other." Yet, they split the book up - with Bly writing the first half and Woodman finishing it. Bly's writing is dry, stilted and boring (surprising!) and Woodman's writing, while havin ...more
James M. Madsen, M.D.
Mar 02, 2008 James M. Madsen, M.D. rated it really liked it
This book is actually based on a workshop conducted jointly by eminent authors Robert Bly and Marion Woodman, and their humanity and expressiveness come across even more effectively in the filmed version (which I have seen but unfortunately no longer have) of the workshop. Bly and Woodman are famous for their interests in the men's and women's movements in psychology, and this workshop focuses on possible interpretations, from each point of view and from a Jungian background, of the folk tale "T ...more
Pauline Esson
Oct 07, 2013 Pauline Esson rated it really liked it
So much wisdom in this book and so much that I don't understand...so much mystery...maybe best not trying to understand that.

I'm going to trust that what I've got from it in this first read is what I've got the capacity for now and the same the next time and next after that.

It was first published in the UK in 1999 and it seems to me that as I read it now in 2013 in so many ways we're no further forward in the reunion of masculine and feminine as we were then, but maybe that's my projected curren
Tucker
Sep 30, 2014 Tucker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, existential
A most excellent exploration of archetypes within a single myth.
Wendy
Mar 12, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it
Actually, I wish I could split my review in half in the same manner that the book is split in half by the two authors. I would give Bly two stars and Woodman five. Her interpretations of the masculine and feminine energies that we all possess (as explained through the dissemination of a Russian folktale) are fascinating. And her marvelously poetic Jungian language is mesmerizing.
Hella
Interessante discussie tussen twee (archetypische) psychologen over wat nu 'vrouwelijk' of 'mannelijk' is. En dat de held van zijn 'mannelijkheid' moet worden gered. Voor mij interessant vanwege Heldinne's Reis.
Rachael
Nov 08, 2013 Rachael rated it it was amazing
Amazingly preceptive interpretation of this Fairy Tale by Woodman. So very helpful and very healing. Helps exquisitely show the deep pain of the masculine and feminine and that struggle we have until these two archetypes come into union and their contents can be brought to light.
Early
Sep 29, 2010 Early added it
I have met both Robert Bly and Marion Woodman in intimate workshop settings. This was before he wrote Iron John and was primarily a poet and performance artist. Marion Woodman is one of my favorite writers, and she is a delightful person.
Hope to purchase this and read soon.
AJ Paris
Jan 15, 2009 AJ Paris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
To be honest, I really loved Robert Bly's portion of the book, but couldn't get through Marion W's portion. No matter--Bly's portion is so brilliant, it's worth it. Really a must read for every writer I think.
Lia
The concept of this book is great, especially with the dual authorship. I tried reading it a couple of times and found some of it fascinating, but ultimately, I didn't get drawn in. Pity.
Maureen Rue
May 23, 2012 Maureen Rue rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. Interesting reading the interpretation of the Russian folk tale from two perspectives. Of course, I enjoyed the woman's perspective more!
Jodi
Feb 14, 2009 Jodi rated it it was amazing
This was both educational and entertaining by two very esteemed authors and therapists.
Rain Martin
Unspeakably brilliant!
Adam Howard
Adam Howard rated it really liked it
Aug 16, 2016
Andrea
Andrea added it
Aug 16, 2016
Emme
Emme marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
LInda Avila
LInda Avila rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2016
Heidi
Heidi marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2016
Keely
Keely marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2016
Hayden Leith
Hayden Leith marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Erica
Erica marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
bird
bird marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Lindsey Millen
Lindsey Millen marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Flora N
Flora N marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Lake Hurwitz
Lake Hurwitz rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2016
Alice
Alice rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Tihana
Tihana marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Pat
Pat marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Kira
Kira marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Pregnant Virgin: A Process of Psychological Transformation (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 21)
  • The Fisher King and the Handless Maiden: Understanding the Wounded Feeling Function in Masculine and Feminine Psychology
  • The Stormy Search for the Self
  • Nature, Man and Woman
  • Art As Medicine: Creating a Therapy of the Imagination
  • Facets of Unity: The Enneagram of Holy Ideas
  • Alone with Others: An Existential Approach to Buddhism
Robert Bly is an American poet, author, activist and leader of the Mythopoetic Men's Movement.
More about Robert Bly...