Start by marking “100,000+ Baby Names: The Most Complete, Fascinating, and Helpful Name Book You Can Find” as Want to Read:

100,000+ Baby Names is the most complete, most fascinating, and most helpful name book you can find by Bruce Lansky, the #1 author of baby name books in North America. It is the best book in the category with over 300 lists of possible name choices, the top 100 boys’ and girls’ names and the latest trends, as well as a list of 12 important factors to consider when selectin ...more
Published November 3rd 2009 by Meadowbrook (first published July 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about 100,000+ Baby Names, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 100,000+ Baby Names

Tina Hayes
Oct 26, 2008 Tina Hayes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone needing to name a baby or pet
This is a great book for anyone who needs to pick out names, whether for a baby, a pet, or characters in a book you're writing. There are literally over 100,000 names in here, from modern quirky to old-fashioned classics.

The book is arranged in an easy to use manner, making it a snap to find whay you're looking for. The two main sections are for boys and girls, each name listing having the name's origin, meaning, and alternate spelling and forms in alphabetical order. Plus there are many short
Amy
Jan 16, 2010 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books-read
Hmm ... wonder why I'm reading this book. ;)

100,000 names later and there's nothing new on our list that we can both agree on. Oh well. I guess you like what you like.

My only qualm with this book is that they should have chosen a font with better capital letters. When I'm staring for pages and pages at Gs that look like Cs and Is that look like Ls, reading the names can get a bit confusing. Otherwise, how can you go wrong with 100,000 names unless you just can't agree on anything new. So it goes
Victoria
Aug 26, 2014 Victoria rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This is a terrible book. My partner and I noticed that a lot of the name definitions were just lacking or plain wrong. Additionally, most of the 100,000+ names are so far fetched most can't be pronounced and would be torture for a preschool kid to learn living in the U.S. A few examples: Achcauhtli (for a boy) and Omofledis (for a girl). Although our favorite is Cunturpoma (from Quechua) that means: "powerful as the puma and the condor". I can't make this stuff up. Do yourself a favor and skip t ...more
Angela Mondragon
The reason I bought this is because though I'm studying Japanese, I'm not that proficient yet at breaking down name meanings...unfortunately, though this one claims to have a really good selection of foreign names, I wasn't too impressed with the Japanese selection. Otherwise, it's pretty good though, for more common names and their meanings, as well as trends in naming over the past several decades. I'll keep it around for naming characters in my writing or for when I have a kid of my own, if I ...more
Andrea
Dec 15, 2009 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the format of this book is very confusing. Instead of having one entry for a name like "Andrea" they have a separate entry for every variation (Andria, Andrya) and all they do is say 'a variation of Andrea' and leave it up to you to go back to the main name and look up the meaning. This is very, very cumbersome if you are trying to search all the names for ideas.

The one good thing I can say is that it has some interesting chapters and lists in the beginning, but that doesn't make up for the nea
Ryan
Dec 08, 2009 Ryan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thinker, non-fic
100,000 plus names. That's a lot of names. The book is organized nicely. A lot of 'popular' lists at the front and ideas or things to keep in mind when choosing a name. Then a huge alphabetical list of names. Girls first then boys. All the names have an affiliated country listed. Most have multiple spellings listed. All have some sort of 'meaning' listed. You'll even find a graphic that alerts you to names that can be sexually ambiguous.

If you're looking to find a name for your kid or pet there'
Morgan Jackson
Jun 22, 2016 Morgan Jackson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sheer volume of names is overwhelming at times! This book was nice because of the spacing between the names. It's a silly formatting thing, but it made it so much easier to read through name after name.
We did find my daughter's name in this book, so that's why I'm giving 5 stars. (: I tend to use name books more for characters than babies (seeing as how I only have one child and a huge amount of characters), and this book has some really unique names.
Dawn Turner
The perfect reference for writers. I ran across this book last week and picked it up after paging through it. It contains everything I need when choosing character names. I can get rid of the other much more limited baby name books I have. This one does the job of all of those plus more! So glad I found it!
Jean Oram
Mar 14, 2012 Jean Oram rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are zillions of baby name books out there and this one is fantastic. It has lots of baby names, their meanings, etc. BUT it also has names popular by decade and other statistical information that may intrigue parents-to-be. It also has lists of names based on different traits.

(Also a great book for writers looking for character names.)
Jessica
I like the way this book was broken into categories; literary names, historical names, names that rhyme, names popular in 1910, names meaning strength, nerdy or sexy. It has to be a complete book....the name Ludicris came up a few times.
Alyson
Oct 24, 2012 Alyson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best baby name book I've used. I needed some good names for a book I was working on and this was what I got. It's sorted very nicely with lists in the front and then girls names then boys. tons of names to choose from.
jacky
Aug 26, 2009 jacky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: baby-parenting
Part of my birthday gift from Mike :) We didn't find a lot of use for this book since we picked name pretty much on our own, but it was useful for looking up what our options meant. It was also fun looking at the different lists.
Mia McInnis
Feb 06, 2015 Mia McInnis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Traditional names, combined names, modern names and exotic, all together with wonderful explanations, translations and histories. Add to that a write up for parents in the beginning about choosing names, the options and the warnings, this is one of the better name books I have yet stumbled upon.
Erica Cameron
Nov 02, 2007 Erica Cameron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This book is a fantastic source not only for expectant parents, but for authors who just can't memorize this many names. It ranges from the mundane to the strange and is sure to provide a name for even the hardest to pin down characters. :)
Morgan
Jan 06, 2009 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
I read through the lists in the front of the book because they were so much fun but when it came to the actual names, I only really read the M names for boys and girls and the the T names for girls.
Amanda Lyons
Apr 27, 2010 Amanda Lyons rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great reference book whether you're looking for baby names or names to use for your characters in writing!
Lily King
Dec 27, 2007 Lily King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a baby name book connoisseur, I consider Bruce Lansky's 100,000 Baby Names one of the best in its genre. An absolute stand-by!
Soulsolfelis
Jul 11, 2012 Soulsolfelis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not only good for parents, but also fantastic for authors. I just purchased the kindle edition so that my family stops complaining about me carrying around the full size print version.
Rachel C
Jan 13, 2010 Rachel C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pregnancy
I liked that this book includes many categorized lists, e.g. international, nerdy, hippie, etc. Also, it seems very complete and includes variations.
Jasmyn
Marc and I are having a difficult time agreeing on names...so I figured 100,000+ names couldn't hurt to thumb through. :)
Sheila Shelton
Sheila Shelton rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2015
Michelle Lundgren
Michelle Lundgren rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2008
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2012
Angela
Angela rated it liked it
Dec 30, 2013
Blakeley Denkinger
Blakeley Denkinger rated it it was ok
Jun 06, 2014
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2008
JoAryn
JoAryn rated it it was ok
Jun 12, 2009
Jeanette Cain
Jeanette Cain rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2015
Keisha Lyons
Keisha Lyons rated it liked it
Jun 27, 2010
  • "A" Is for Atticus: Baby Names from Great Books
  • Book of Poisons: A Guide for Writers
  • Forensics: A Guide for Writers
  • Great Expectations: Your All-In-One Resource for Pregnancy & Childbirth
  • Before Your Pregnancy: A 90-Day Guide for Couples on How to Prepare for a Healthy Conception
  • Police Procedure & Investigation: A Guide for Writers
  • The Pregnancy Countdown Book
  • Your Pregnancy Week by Week
  • Your Pregnancy & Birth: Information You Can Trust from the Leading Experts in Women's Health Care
  • The Complete Book of Baby Names: The Most Names (100,001+), Most Unique Names, Most Idea-Generating Lists (600+) and the Most Help to Find the Perfect Name
  • The Pregnancy Book: A Month-By-Month Guide Tag: Everythg. You Need to Know from America'S..
  • First Time Mom: Getting Off On The Right Foot  From Birth To First Grade
  • Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5
  • Baby Bargains, 7th Edition: Secrets to Saving 20% to 50% on baby furniture, gear, clothes, toys, maternity wear and much more! (Baby Bargains)
  • The Money Men: Capitalism, Democracy, and the Hundred Years' War Over the American Dollar
  • The Baby Owner's Manual: Operating Instructions, Trouble-Shooting Tips & Advice on First-Year Maintenance
  • Chicken Soup for the Expectant Mother's Soul: 101 Stories to Inspire and Warm the Hearts of Soon-To-Be Mothers
  • Pregnancy Sucks: What to Do When Your Miracle Makes You Miserable
I was born on June 1, 1941. My first home was an apartment in Manhattan's Upper West Side, a neighborhood that overlooked the George Washington Bridge. Soon after kindergarten, my family moved to Scarsdale, which seemed to be “in the country.” In high school, I broke my ankle when I went out for the lacrosse team, so I wrote a sports column for the school newspaper. I don't think I showed any part ...more
More about Bruce Lansky...