Start by marking “Mad Dog and Englishman: A Mad Dog & Englishman Mystery” as Want to Read:
Mad Dog and Englishman: A Mad Dog & Englishman Mystery

Mad Dog and Englishman: A Mad Dog & Englishman Mystery (Mad Dog & Englishman #1)

3.54 of 5 stars 3.54  ·  rating details  ·  85 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Summer in Benteen, County, Kansas, is a season possessed of all the gentle subtlety of an act of war. Winter, of course, is no better, but remembrance of its frosts and blizzards and winds that begin to suck away your life before you walk a dozen steps has grown faint by the early hours of a Sunday morning in late June." While some try to sleep, and some like Sheriff Engli ...more
Published May 27th 2010 by Poisoned Pen Press (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Mad Dog and Englishman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Dog and Englishman

Trish
Kansas, really? This murder mystery is set in Kansas, and not a city either. It is set in the plains of Kansas, so flat and dry a stand of trees rises like a heat mirage and the wind is an ever-constant companion. J.M. Hayes, Arizona resident, grew up in Kansas and has managed to escape our notice for a long time. He is possessed of a keen eye, a coruscating sense of humor, a literate pen, and a devilish sense of the absurd. When reading this story I had to slow down. He is liable to turn sudden ...more
Cathy Cole
First Line: Summer in Benteen County, Kansas, is a season possessed of all the gentle subtlety of an act of war.

When Sheriff English's part-Cheyenne brother, Mad Dog, arrives in the park to meditate, he finds the mutilated body of Reverend Peter Sims, and the entire county is set on its ear. Benteen County is sparsely populated. Everyone knows everyone else's business. Sheriff English has never had to investigate a homicide, even the coroner (who's been on the job for over seventeen years) has n
Lucy
First in a series set in a small town in Kansas, features divorced sheriff English and his half-brother Mad Dog, both of whom are perhaps one-quarter Cheyenne. This heritage features in the story but sometimes with tries-too-hard humor. I like the characters. The mystery of who murdered, scalped & dismembered a local preacher is bizarre. Also a secondary story of the sheriff's daughter who looks just like a girl who has just arrived in town with her mother. Short and fast reading.
Yvonna
The screwed-up sheriff and his family lend humorous to some of the serious issues at play in this mystery. The main problem with this story is that it dragged in places, but I did like that the author seemed to know the area of Kansas used in the setting.
Carrie
*Warning my review may spoil you*

Nothing ever happens in Benteen County, Kansas. It's a small town where everyone knows each others business. So when the reverend turns up being murdered it's a little bit of a shock to sheriff English. A whirlwind things and information happens afterwords. From more deaths, a kidnapping, a history of sexual molestation coming out, hidden and mistaken identities, and more.

Mixed thoughts when it comes to this book. It was an okay read nothing spectacular, at leas
Wileyacez
Not a big mystery fan, but read in Library Journal that these pack some of the same humor as Stephanie Plum--who was so great, at least in the beginning. I confess that I got sucked in and couldn't stop reading til the end--and the end did NOT tie things up in an incredibly neat little knot! I like this story of a small Kansas town, it's sheriff, and his slightly dysfunctional family. Hayes really keeps things moving along quickly, which is what pulls you in, I think.
Sue
I could not put this book done! The brother of the sheriff of a small Kansas town finds the mutilated body of someone in the restroom of a park in town. The body is so badly damaged that no one can tell who it is until after the town doctor/coroner has cleaned it up. The strange circumstances of the death are only the beginning of the day's troubles and discoveries. Highly recommend this book.
Donna
Stumbled across this one and I'm glad I did. The description of rural Kansas on a hot summer day was terrific as the backdrop to a mostly solid mystery - one plot twist was a bit of a stretch. The brothers, English and Mad Dog, were interesting characters and I'll look for more in this series.
Dawn
A mystery every bit as good as those by the hugely popular authors and maybe better. The characters are wonderful though admittedly Wynn is a bit of an exaggerated stereotype. I would definitely read another book featuring Mad Dog and Englishman. I liked them both immensely.
Wendy
Some will enjoy this book due to its mix of mystery, mysticism, life's reality in a small town in Kansas. I just did not enjoy the plot but do not want to give anything away with a spoiler. Good depiction of ah, FLAT Desolate cold or hot Kansas. haha
Redhead
You don't want to miss this author. Wonderful charaters, plots, twists, turns and unique endings! Well defined sense of place for the middle of Kansas.
Anna
4 stars
Funny and gruesome (sometimes too gruesome) but well done. Sadly, tons of typos and misused words.
Normalene
Loved the characters and the weird happenings. Am reading the whole series.
Alison
This is one of the best mysteries that I have read in a long time.
Patricia
I hope to read the rest of this series.
Robert Beveridge
Robert Beveridge marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Mary Beth
Mary Beth marked it as to-read
May 03, 2015
Linda Flanders
Linda Flanders marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Patty Allen
Patty Allen marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Kate
Kate is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Linda B
Linda B marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Michelle Hanson
Michelle Hanson marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cover, description, etc... 3 143 Sep 17, 2012 11:44AM
J.M. "Mike" Hayes has been an anthropologist, an archaeologist, and has supervised youth camping, sports, an recreation programs. He was born and raised on the flat earth of central Kansas his Mad Dog & Englishman mysteries take place. He graduated from Wichita State University and did post graduate work at the University of Arizona. He makes his home in Tucson (site of his first novel, The Gr ...more
More about J.M. Hayes...

Mad Dog & Englishman (6 books)
  • Prairie Gothic (Mad Dog & Englishman, #2)
  • Plains Crazy (Mad Dog & Englishman, #3)
  • Broken Heartland (Mad Dog & Englishman, #4)
  • Server Down (Mad Dog & Englishman, #5)
  • English Lessons (Mad Dog & Englishman, #6)
Broken Heartland (Mad Dog & Englishman, #4) Server Down (Mad Dog & Englishman, #5) Prairie Gothic (Mad Dog & Englishman, #2) Plains Crazy (Mad Dog & Englishman, #3) English Lessons (Mad Dog & Englishman, #6)