Start by marking “Son of a Wanted Man” as Want to Read:
Son of a Wanted Man

Son of a Wanted Man

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,357 ratings  ·  37 reviews
An outlaw's legacy...

In a remote corner of Utah lies the secret outlaw kingdom of Ben Curry. For fifteen years Curry has ruled supreme, as his men have pulled jobs from Canada to Mexico. But the king is getting old... he wants to turn his legacy over to someone younger, tougher. Mike Bastian is Ben's adopted son, a young man who can handle a knife, a gun, his fists, but a
Published December 30th 2003 by Bantam (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Son of a Wanted Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Son of a Wanted Man

Villager
Interesting premise of a young orphan raised by a very successful outlaw. The outlaw intends for the young man to become the heir to the outlaw empire while he retires to a quiet ranch with his wife and two daughters. The story is set in a tumultuous time in the wild West when trains and telegraphs have begun to take hold ... and the prospects for outlaws are getting less and less rosy. Also, the young man isn't sure that he wants to travel on the outlaw side of the road.

All of this comes togeth
Arcey
Autor sa v tomto diele zamýšľa nad údelom banditov a či vôbec má niekto z nich na výber. Príbeh sa odohráva v dvoch líniach, kde v prvej sa Mike Bastian chystá na rolu vodcu bandy zatiaľ čo na druhej strane sa objavujú šerifovia Borden Chantry a Tyrell Sackett, ktorí sa snažia dostať bandu banditov operujúcu po polovoci Divokého západu. Každá postava má svoje ciele a snaží sa vydobiť si svoje miesto na slnku, ale autor sa nevyhol ani romantickej línii, ktorá vlastne rozhodne o osude hlavného hrd ...more
Livia
'Son of a Wanted Man' was entertaining and painful. Why is it that so many parents try to make their kids into something they aren't? Mike Bastian was fairly lucky, because he was a foster son. There also seemed to be fewer strings attached in his relationship with Ben Curry.
Alice
Thirty odd years from reading my first Louis L'Amour and I find I still love them just as much. What can I say about it - the only negative is the romance/female roles but I can live with that, those things go with the time it is set in. Anyone who ever liked a western should enjoy any one of his books, they are class.
Jeff Anderson
Ben Curry is an old outlaw who runs a large group of outlaws with an iron fist. He plans the robberies/activities meticulously and keeps firm discipline so that their activities won't arouse too much interest and so that no one will suspect a connection between incidents. He adopted an orphan boy and raised him to take over the gang when he retired; educating him in every useful skill - tracking, gun fighting, fist fighting, "book learning", smooth talking, far-sighted planning. Only problem is ...more
Beth
Mike was an orphan, raised by the leader of a band of outlaws, destined to take over when the old man retired. But Mike isn't sure he wants to be an outlaw, and he falls farther away from the outlaw life when he meets the beautiful, young Drusilla.
brotagonist
I'd been getting bored with L'Amour's stock stories, but I decided to give this one a try. It turned out to be free of the worn clichés and moralizing and was a good story to the end.
W.K. Lawrence
Not much for westerns, but this short novel was pretty good. The description of the setting was my favorite part. L'Amour definitely brings you into his world.
Craig Tyler
This is my first Louis L'Amour book but it was a page turner. I could really see the action and the characters were well developed.
Carmen
First western I had ever read and I really liked it. It wasn't anything deep or thought provoking but a nice light read.
Pat Murray
This is my first venture into the Western genre, might as well start with its best, Louis L'Amour. It was a well constructed story. There were some expressions that the people who lived this type experience would have used. The struggling main character uses the training his well meaning adopted father had him learn to create a believable ending for both himself and the family. This not my cup of tea, but L'Amour is an excellent storyteller.
Buckaroo
Fun book to read. Different then others, and I liked how Tyrel Sackett, and Borden Chantry were tied in. Very happy with this one.
Christopher
It was like reading a B-grade, but still entertaining, movie. One thing to note: I was really impressed by how masculine the characters were. By that, I don't just mean masculine in the gun-slingin, trail-blazin, huntin kind of way (though they were that). I mean masculine in the true, biblical sense of providing real leadership and protection. There's glory in that kind of masculinity, and L'Amour's characters have it.
Chad
I enjoyed this story. I have never been let down by a L'Amour book and once again I was entertained from start to finish. There are better L'Amour stories out there, but I listened to this one on Audio CD and within the quick three hours of audio a complete Western story was told. A bonus to this Aduio CD was Mr. L'Amour himself telling several Western tales that he was directly or indirectly involved with.
Becca brown
I actually thought this book was really good compared to a lot of the other novels written by Louis L'Amour. It was exciting, I liked the characters, and I thought the message was good too. It was well written, a good story, and kept you wanting to read the next chapter.
Collin Freeman
I think this book is an alright one. It is predictable and the good guys are pretty much invincible.I always thought something big was about to happen but nothing ever did. It didn't describe certain things very well either. All in all though it had a good story.
Alexandra- Jarvis
Maybe there is honour among some thieves.

Trained and raised to inherit the reigns of a well organized band of outlaws, a young man races to save the family of the man whom he would one day replace.

Enjoyable, well written, unforgettable.
Good quick read. He was suposed to follow in his "father's" footsteps and become an outlaw, but times had changed and it wasn't as easy anymore.He had to decied if he wanted to become his old man, or become his own person.
Dylan Roberts
This is a good book although i wasnt sure who the main character was at first, But if you like western books this is a good one for you and this book has a lot of action and remarkable detail in the writing.
Josie Podio
I bought this on and audio book. It was......ok. I didnt hate it, but didnt luv it, so i rated it a 3.5. It was very intresting though. I liked the fact that it reflected on a real outlaw.
Vic
Fun read. Fairly short. Entertaining picture of the wild west. Writing seemed a little rushed in places. Interesting characters. I think it would work better as a movie.
Matthew Hurley
A good story about good men on both sides of the law, in a changing western frontier where outlaws are no longer tolerated. And some vivid gunfights. And a romance.
Samuel
This book seemed like it had too much set-up and too little payoff. L'Amour builds up this great, almost super-human young man, then doesn't have enough for him to do.
Julie
Not really one of the better L'Amours. It's too short to show off his skills as a storyteller, so the whole thing feels a little stiff and awkward.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Well developed characters in the foster father and his son and the tracker, as well as the two sheriffs. Action moves the story along.
Chris Light
A bit outside the norms of L'amour usual hero, but not by much. Trying to live a double life, can lead to problems down the road.
Chris
The first Louis Lamour book I read. It got me hooked at a very young age. I had to re-read it years later and still liked it.
Abbey
Very Good book! I love how descriptive Louis Lamour is! Very Tastefully done, though this is def your typical Western.
Susan
Small enough to read in a few nights, as escape-reading.
Interesting enough to easily bring me into the story.
Charles
A fairly slight book in the L'Amour canon. Not bad, and a quick read, but not high on the list of his best.
  • The Lone Star Ranger
  • The Dawn of Fury (Trail of the Gunfighter, #1)
  • Oregon! (Wagons West, #4)
  • The Untamed
  • The Shootist
  • Carry the Wind
-Wikipedia
More about Louis L'Amour...
Last of the Breed Hondo The Walking Drum Sackett's Land (The Sacketts, #1) The Lonesome Gods