Start by marking “In Search of Bacchus: Wanderings in the Wonderful World of Wine Tourism” as Want to Read:
In Search of Bacchus: Wanderings in the Wonderful World of Wine Tourism

In Search of Bacchus: Wanderings in the Wonderful World of Wine Tourism

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
From the award-winning and critically acclaimed author of Judgment of Paris and To Cork or Not To Cork comes a delightful, entertaining, and informative exploration of the thriving world of wine tourism.

George M. Taber set out on the wine lover's ultimate dream: a journey to the twelve most beautiful and fascinating wine-producing regions around the globe. In Search of B
Published October 13th 2009 by Scribner (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about In Search of Bacchus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Search of Bacchus

Catherine Woodman
"wandering" is the operative word. There are moments that this book is interesting. But mostly it is just idiosyncratically droning on about places. Parts of it I know, having grown up with oenophile parents in the Bay area in the 1960's and going to the concerts at Mondavi and having an early education int he Napa Valley--and that part of it isn't the least bit inclusive of the wineries there. SO it makes me question the information in the other chapters where I know less. But the real problem ...more
Jill
Sep 10, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I gave this 4 stars more for my reaction and interest in the subject than the actual book. Although I would probably do 3 stars for the book itself. Combining travel, wine and history made a great read for me. Considering buying a copy to keep for future travel reference!
Sara
Jun 02, 2012 Sara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I bought this at the dollar store & now know why it was there. And maybe I shouldn't mark this as read since I got 3/4 of the way through and gave up. I'd start reading and enjoy what I was learning about vineyards & history and then the author would meander off about stuff only really snobby wine enthusiasts would know about. I finally gave up when it seemed that I had already read the same story line about a vineyard trying to make itself more marketable. I'd only recommend this book t ...more
Kevin Donohue
Some good info. Helpful if you looking to planning to do some wine touring.
Tuck
Oct 26, 2009 Tuck rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this author has won all kinds of awards for writing about wine, but i don't really see how. pretty flat stories, though some good info about the individual wines themselves. lawrence osborne's "the accidental connoisseur" is 10 times better. bummer, i had high hopes with this taber book, but his visits to different areas of the globe was just too hurried and superficial.
Terrence Jones
Nov 05, 2011 Terrence Jones rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable trip through the world's wine regions but a bit dry and slow going. Taber doesn't have the flair for words that Lawrence Osborne showed in "The Accidental Connoisseur".
Dayna
I'm not going to finish this because I am tired of reading about luxury resorts and golf courses. I enjoy the [mostly:] casual atmosphere of our local wine area. Glad we have it.
Ajit Tripathi
Ajit Tripathi marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Marcy
Marcy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Valerie
Valerie is currently reading it
Jun 02, 2016
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2016
Taylorcope3
Taylorcope3 marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Timothy
Timothy rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2016
Kari Macknight Dearborn
Kari Macknight Dearborn marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Samantha Wade
Samantha Wade rated it really liked it
Feb 03, 2016
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Gino Mazzella
Gino Mazzella marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Kim
Kim is currently reading it
Jan 20, 2016
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Lolasuej
Lolasuej marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2016
Pam Warburton
Pam Warburton marked it as to-read
Dec 22, 2015
Trisha Alverson
Trisha Alverson rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
Carlos Baeza
Carlos Baeza marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2015
Ela Wine Lady -
Ela Wine Lady - marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Jason Pyrz
Jason Pyrz rated it did not like it
May 26, 2015
Bethany Villafuerte
Bethany Villafuerte marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
William
William marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015