The Package Deal: My (not-so) Glamorous Transition from Single Gal to Instant Mom

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Meet Izzy Rose–a hilarious and chic new stepmom trying to come to terms with the package deal. A single “middle-class socialite” living in San Francisco, Izzy loved her career as a successful, Emmy Award-winning TV producer and she was fine with the fact that she was unmarried and kid-less at thirty-five. But, then she fell in love with an irresistible Southern man named H...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Crown (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Package Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Package Deal

Kara Marie
There were many points in this novel that I felt she was a selfish brat. You knew your boyfriend had kids -and you waited till months after the wedding to get to know them? I just felt she whined a lot. Being a stepmother myself, I felt like all she did was complain for the first half of book and point out what she hated about her life. If you didn't want kids, you shouldn't have married a man with children. Halfway through, she started to become a bit more proactive, and her tone didn't bother...more
Allison
This was recommended to me by a friend who is also becoming an instant mom. I've been worrying about my boy having a kid since we started to get serious, since I never felt very maternal and wasn't sure how good I'd be raising someone else's kid. Rose's book is a memoir of her first year as stepmother to two preteen boys. It's incredibly honest and not at all sentimental, which I really appreciated. I identified with Rose being a career woman and never wanting a family, to falling for someone wh...more
Melody
Very enjoyable memoir. Rose opens up the scary places in the stepmother psyche and shares her fears and hopes, her disappointments and triumphs. I identified with some of her story, of course, but I think I came to my own personal stepkids with a different set of baggage. I got the feeling too, that what Rose left out, she left out in deference to the feelings of her stepkids, and I respect her for that. It's a very well-done slice-of-life.

I liked all the people I encountered in this book, I fou...more
S.M. Hutchins
I enjoyed this book and looked forward to reading it every night. Izzy Rose entertainingly describes her experience of getting married, becoming a stepmom, and moving to Texas without a job lined up all in one fell swoop. As a stepmom myself, I related to her experience of becoming an instant mom with its ups, downs, and lack of instruction manual. She had me nodding along, laughing, and saying, "awww," throughout the book.

I recommend this book to stepmoms especially. It's an easy, fun read and...more
george
The story of an independent, single woman in her mid-thirties finding herself marrying the man of her dreams...and his two sons. Rose relates her quick adjustment to the situation as they pick up and leave her hometown of San Francisco and move to Texas. A state Rose never really wanted to visit, much less live. Suddenly unemployed and a "mother," Rose tells the story of her first year as a step-mom and how she temporarily loses herself, but finds herself again...as well as a family.
Corene

Quick, light-read memoir, with a chick lit fiction tone to it---that's not a bad thing! Izzy meets divorced with two sons Hank, and marries into what she calls, "the traveling circus." The author is honest and humorous, and does justice in her descriptions of San Francisco, where she meets her husband, and Austin, Texas, where she starts her new life.
Leslie
I thought this was a funny dose of reality that any step mom would enjoy. I'm lucky my step son came in my life at a young age, but it was nice to get to see sometimes experience with older children. I also appreciate her feedback beinh a child of divorce, as well as becoming a step child herself.
Robin
A very frank story about what it's like to be a single gal with a great job and income, then marry a man with two kids at home and EVERYTHING changes. You don't have so much control, and you put a lot of energy into a life that doesn't have so much to do with you. She's funny.
Corinne  Lundstrum
i loved this book, but i don't think you would enjoy it unless you like the author (and myself) found yourself jobless and friendless in texas because you fell in love with someone who happens to have two sons.
Lori
Fun story... i guess I didn't realize until the end this was a memoir vs. fiction.

A lot of relatable points / moments for those of us who have children in our lives becuase of our romantic relationships.
SweetPea
Enlightening insights on the author's experience in making this transition. Really liked that it was written as a story (like reading a novel) rather than a lecture of things to do/not do.
Brie
As a step mom I could sooo relate to this book and it's characters. I would recommend this book to any lady out there who is or is about to become a step parent.
Stephanie
A very funny book, and very dear to my heart since she offers good advice on staying yourself while being a good stepmom. A must read for any step-parent out there.
Elizabeth
Funny and easy to read. Its a light hearted approach to the subject of mixing into a prefab family. A nice change from most of the other books on the same subject.
Anita Johnson
I loved this witty memoir by a young stepmother and how she dealt with the shock, fun and horrors of living with two teenaged boys. Fun non-fiction.
Jess
it was just a bleh read. but it didn't require a lot of brainpower, either, so it was a fairly quick read. so there's that...
Julia
Really honest and funny. A fast read... Especially when you can relate!
Healthy Curls
Really fun read, with a lot of decent advice. Loved every page.
Angelica Catindig
Angelica Catindig marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Jenni
Jenni marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Nicole Wojahn
Nicole Wojahn marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Nancy Grace
Nancy Grace marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Tracy
Tracy marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Coyora Dokusho
Coyora Dokusho marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Francy Luther
Francy Luther marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2014
Nay
Nay added it
May 23, 2014
Anna Bru
Anna Bru marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
IZZY ROSE is an Emmy award-winning television producer from the San Francisco Bay Area and the creator of stepmothersmilk.com, a blog and resource site for the modern-day stepmom with national and international readership. She’s appeared on television and radio programs in San Francisco, Austin and Memphis and is a regular contributor to Stepmom Magazine. Her work has been called “compulsively rea...more
More about Izzy Rose...