Start by marking “The Package Deal: My (not-so) Glamorous Transition from Single Gal to Instant Mom” as Want to Read:

Meet Izzy Rose–a hilarious and chic new stepmom trying to come to terms with the package deal. A single “middle-class socialite” living in San Francisco, Izzy loved her career as a successful, Emmy Award-winning TV producer and she was fine with the fact that she was unmarried and kid-less at thirty-five. But, then she fell in love with an irresistible Southern man named H ...more
Published May 5th 2009 by Crown (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Package Deal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Package Deal

Kara Marie
There were many points in this novel that I felt she was a selfish brat. You knew your boyfriend had kids -and you waited till months after the wedding to get to know them? I just felt she whined a lot. Being a stepmother myself, I felt like all she did was complain for the first half of book and point out what she hated about her life. If you didn't want kids, you shouldn't have married a man with children. Halfway through, she started to become a bit more proactive, and her tone didn't bother ...more
Sara Smith
A pretty entertaining memoir about being a Step-Mom.
Melody
Apr 10, 2010 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable memoir. Rose opens up the scary places in the stepmother psyche and shares her fears and hopes, her disappointments and triumphs. I identified with some of her story, of course, but I think I came to my own personal stepkids with a different set of baggage. I got the feeling too, that what Rose left out, she left out in deference to the feelings of her stepkids, and I respect her for that. It's a very well-done slice-of-life.

I liked all the people I encountered in this book, I fou
Allison
Feb 01, 2014 Allison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non
This was recommended to me by a friend who is also becoming an instant mom. I've been worrying about my boy having a kid since we started to get serious, since I never felt very maternal and wasn't sure how good I'd be raising someone else's kid. Rose's book is a memoir of her first year as stepmother to two preteen boys. It's incredibly honest and not at all sentimental, which I really appreciated. I identified with Rose being a career woman and never wanting a family, to falling for someone wh ...more
Sherri
Jan 30, 2012 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and looked forward to reading it every night. Izzy Rose entertainingly describes her experience of getting married, becoming a stepmom, and moving to Texas without a job lined up all in one fell swoop. As a stepmom myself, I related to her experience of becoming an instant mom with its ups, downs, and lack of instruction manual. She had me nodding along, laughing, and saying, "awww," throughout the book.

I recommend this book to stepmoms especially. It's an easy, fun read and
george
The story of an independent, single woman in her mid-thirties finding herself marrying the man of her dreams...and his two sons. Rose relates her quick adjustment to the situation as they pick up and leave her hometown of San Francisco and move to Texas. A state Rose never really wanted to visit, much less live. Suddenly unemployed and a "mother," Rose tells the story of her first year as a step-mom and how she temporarily loses herself, but finds herself again...as well as a family.
Corene

Quick, light-read memoir, with a chick lit fiction tone to it---that's not a bad thing! Izzy meets divorced with two sons Hank, and marries into what she calls, "the traveling circus." The author is honest and humorous, and does justice in her descriptions of San Francisco, where she meets her husband, and Austin, Texas, where she starts her new life.
Leslie
Aug 20, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a funny dose of reality that any step mom would enjoy. I'm lucky my step son came in my life at a young age, but it was nice to get to see sometimes experience with older children. I also appreciate her feedback beinh a child of divorce, as well as becoming a step child herself.
Lori
Jan 27, 2010 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun story... i guess I didn't realize until the end this was a memoir vs. fiction.

A lot of relatable points / moments for those of us who have children in our lives becuase of our romantic relationships.
Robin
Apr 16, 2010 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very frank story about what it's like to be a single gal with a great job and income, then marry a man with two kids at home and EVERYTHING changes. You don't have so much control, and you put a lot of energy into a life that doesn't have so much to do with you. She's funny.
Anita Johnson
Aug 19, 2009 Anita Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this witty memoir by a young stepmother and how she dealt with the shock, fun and horrors of living with two teenaged boys. Fun non-fiction.
Healthy Curls
Aug 03, 2010 Healthy Curls rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really fun read, with a lot of decent advice. Loved every page.
Carol Jen
I'll write a more thoughtful review later but in short...I loved every word of this book..funny and smart and endearing...it was like spending time with a best friend I've never met...
Jess
Apr 07, 2011 Jess rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was just a bleh read. but it didn't require a lot of brainpower, either, so it was a fairly quick read. so there's that...
Stephanie
Jul 11, 2011 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very funny book, and very dear to my heart since she offers good advice on staying yourself while being a good stepmom. A must read for any step-parent out there.
SweetPea
Enlightening insights on the author's experience in making this transition. Really liked that it was written as a story (like reading a novel) rather than a lecture of things to do/not do.
Elizabeth
Jul 22, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Funny and easy to read. Its a light hearted approach to the subject of mixing into a prefab family. A nice change from most of the other books on the same subject.
Julia
Dec 26, 2010 Julia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really honest and funny. A fast read... Especially when you can relate!
Brie
May 19, 2012 Brie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a step mom I could sooo relate to this book and it's characters. I would recommend this book to any lady out there who is or is about to become a step parent.
Corinne
Dec 26, 2010 Corinne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No review
Lucy
Lucy rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2011
Alex
Alex rated it did not like it
Oct 26, 2014
Cari
Cari rated it did not like it
Aug 16, 2009
Jess Van Dyne-Evans
Jess Van Dyne-Evans rated it did not like it
Apr 01, 2011
L
L rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2014
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2011
Debbie
Debbie rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2011
Middlethought
Middlethought rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2017
Alyson Vetter
Alyson Vetter rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2014
Tania Servos
Tania Servos rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • It's Not That I'm Bitter . . .: Or How I Learned to Stop Worrying About Visible Panty Lines and Conquered the World
  • Stepmonster: A New Look at Why Real Stepmothers Think, Feel, and Act the Way We Do
  • The Good News About Marriage: Debunking Discouraging Myths about Marriage and Divorce
  • Linda McCartney. Life in Photographs
  • Ham Biscuits, Hostess Gowns, and Other Southern Specialties: An Entertaining Life (with Recipes)
  • An Alphabetical Life: Living It Up in the World of Books
  • Messy Beautiful Love: Hope and Redemption for Real-Life Marriages
  • Uncommon Marriage: Learning about Lasting Love and Overcoming Life's Obstacles Together
  • I'm Kind of a Big Deal: And Other Delusions of Adequacy
  • Rattled!: A Memoir
  • March into My Heart: A Memoir of Mothers, Daughters, and Adoption
  • Have You No Shame?: And Other Regrettable Stories
  • I'm Taking My Eggs and Going Home: How One Woman Dared to Say No to Motherhood
  • Under the Sheets: The Secrets to Hot Sex in Your Marriage
  • Who Gets the Drumstick?: The Story of the Beardsley Family
  • Accidentally on Purpose: A One-Night Stand, My Unplanned Parenthood, and Loving the Best Mistake I Ever Made
  • Queen of the Road: The True Tale of 47 States, 22,000 Miles, 200 Shoes, 2 Cats, 1 Poodle, a Husband, and a Bus with a Will of Its Own
  • Men Don't Love Women Like You: The Brutal Truth About Dating, Relationships, and How to Go from Placeholder to Game Changer
IZZY ROSE is an Emmy award-winning television producer from the San Francisco Bay Area and the creator of stepmothersmilk.com, a blog and resource site for the modern-day stepmom with national and international readership. She’s appeared on television and radio programs in San Francisco, Austin and Memphis and is a regular contributor to Stepmom Magazine. Her work has been called “compulsively rea ...more
More about Izzy Rose...