Start by marking “Fashionably Late” as Want to Read:
Fashionably Late

Fashionably Late

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  1,443 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
From a winning voice in fiction -- the author of My Favorite Mistake and Exes and Ohs -- comes a romantic comedy that will have you in stitches.

She's late for her life...

Becca Davis has always played it safe -- denying her passion for fashion design in a dead-end job and letting her pragmatic boyfriend (mastermind of the "Kevin Bradley Ten-Year Plan") make the tough dec
Published January 3rd 2006 by Pocket Books

To ask other readers questions about Fashionably Late, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fashionably Late

Brandi
Jun 29, 2007 Brandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a cute book! This didn't use of too many of my brain cells to read, and I couldn't put it down. I read this book in about 3 hours. It's about a young girl named Becca who is at a crossroads in her life. Should she say "YES" to her 5 year relationship with Mr. Predictable? Should she move to LA and follow her heart which leads he to a sexy risk-taker named Connor?
Kristi
May 31, 2008 Kristi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book. But all in all for a romance, the romance was very dull. The author didn't write the "falling in love" moments. It was one minute friends the next they love eachother. I did not like that. ALso the author never described in any detail what the characters looked like. No hair color, hieght, weight.... Only thing you knew was the the main girl was pretty. Also something I did not like about it. Aside from that the book was a fun story line and enjoyable enough.
stephanie
Feb 19, 2008 stephanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, 2008
super-quick read while giving myself a break from the non-fiction. predictable, funny, at times confusing, it wasn't a bad waste of a couple hours. nothing transforming, no real memorable characters, (except for possibly kevin, the stickler ex-fiance, and claire, the older sister) and things that of course never happen in real life.
Kayla
Apr 16, 2015 Kayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book over the weekend (between playing with the kids). The main character has the guts that I wish I could muster to break away and start a new path in life. It probably helps that she doesn't have any kids but still. What a great storyline! Sometimes what everyone thinks is a good thing, really isn't behind closed doors.
Dawn
Jan 28, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chic-lit
Looooooved this book!!!! Combined romance, family, and best of all FASHION!!!
MB
Oct 03, 2010 MB rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was happy to see the seamy side of fashion design. Pun intended. I liked a few loose ends at the end, I loved the main character. Upbeat and fun to read.
Candice
Young-ish chick lit. Thin, but very entertaining, snappy dialogue, filled with zingy one liners and yet had a moral core. Amusing.
Norabee
Aug 15, 2008 Norabee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fashion designers
Rebecca Davis is a college grad that has dreams of becoming a fashion designer, but works in a boutique – she has a boyfriend of 5 years and the story opens when Kevin decides to propose. Most girls would be thrilled, but Becca can hardly breathe! She loves Kevin (at least she thinks she does) but she’s not sure that he’s “the one”, but after dating for 5 years, she doesn’t know if she can just walk away.

She meets Connor – a successful businessman and thrill-junkie. He offers her a job as a hos
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
I really enjoyed Exes and Ohs by Beth Kendrick and was looking forward to reading some of her other books. My library happened to have Fashionably Late in, so I decided to give it a try. I admist, I was a little bored with this one. I liked Becca, although the whole fashion industry is completely foreign to me. I really liked Conner at first (especially his cheesy pick-up lines), but as they continued to get to know each other it almost felt like Becca was just trying to be something he would l ...more
Apr 06, 2010 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I'm a huge Project Runway nut so I like reading books about fashion, too. And those who have seen me dress know that this is a very strange obsession, since fashion is *not* what I'm known for. :)

Becca Davis (the character has the same name as my friend who sings opera!) has been dating Kevin for five years and he has their future mapped out. But when he springs for a ring and a house, she panics and realizes that she has to try to capture her dream of being a fashion designer before it's too la
Casey
Oct 19, 2015 Casey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I chose this book based on "The Week Before The Wedding" by the same author. Kendrick wrote Fashionably Late before she wrote "The Week Before
The Wedding" so I could forgive her for some of her faults because I know she improves with time. In the beginning, the main characrer was extremely unbelievable to me. She accepted a proposal from a man she didn't want to marry. No problem there, but the author just didn't brkng to life the qualities that made me beleive this character wojld really do th
Jen
May 14, 2008 Jen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor-romance
Becca is 24; she has a job at a boutique and she is engaged to a wealthy man who her parents love.

One big problem: Becca does not love her fiance and she hates her job. She wants to be a fashion designer, her passion is clothes, and she will never get that chance in Arizona.

Becca takes a big risk. She moves to LA and breaks up with her fiance. Will Becca find the happiness she has been looking for? Or, will she regret leaving her stable life behind.

This is a good quick read. I like her style of
Janel
May 18, 2013 Janel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute, very light reading. The literary equivalent of a made for TV romantic comedy, probably starring Jennifer Love Hewitt. The romantic storyline was cute enough, but there wasn't much tension or sparks for me. I liked the fashion design aspect of the book and LA location. The subplot showcasing the heroine's (Becca's) older sister Clair was grating. I know this character was supposed to be over the top, and rich girl spoiled but I thought she was pretty awful. A fun enough confection, and good ...more
DW
Jul 10, 2016 DW rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again, because I liked other Beth Kendrick books (I swear, I will go back to reading something serious after this. Really.) Fun, escapist, undemanding. The protagonist struggling to make it as a fashion designer made me glad I'm an engineer. Also, thankful that my family is not as dysfunctional. The description of the bridezilla makes me want to get married in a courthouse (probably won't happen).
chippyvale
Jan 24, 2012 chippyvale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
I was pretty surprised to see that other readers did not like this book that much. I thought it was pretty good; it opened up my eyes a lil to the fashion industry and I really admire the main character Becca's tenacity and never-say-die attitude. I can identify with her own mental struggles because that is precisely how I feel right now in my life.

That aside, the cheesy pickup lines made me smile! :) The book is so enjoyable; now I look forward to reading more novels by Beth Kendrick!
Alyssa
Sep 03, 2008 Alyssa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick-lit lovers & those who want a fun, quick read
This was a cute story about a gal who is the youngest of three sisters and sort of "stuck" under the thumbs of those in her life. Taking many chances, she leaves everything behind to pursue her dreams and I say, "Go for it, girl!"

A sweet (though of course somewhat predictable) story about life and love ~ and the pursuit of a place on the red carpet!
Sandy thyer
Jan 14, 2016 Sandy thyer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't the kind of book I read real often but I met a lady on my last cruise who said this author was a friend and she was funny. I enjoyed it. There were a few flaws, in my mind, the story was choppy and she moved ahead in large chunks of time. But it was a simple easy-read fun and cute.
Rebekah
Jul 28, 2010 Rebekah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It's a beach read. While I didn't find it "laugh out loud" funny, as promised on the cover, I did find the book easy to read. It's not one that requires a lit of thought...just time to turn the pages.
Dara Bender
Beth Kendrick is a new author and I think it shows in this book. There isn't much substance and the story is totally predictable. Read this only if you have a couple of hours with nothing else to do.
Amy
Dec 30, 2010 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010-books
A very fluffy read... Only took a few hours. Rebecca is a girl with a controlling fiancé, a bossy big sister and a dream of becoming a fashion designer. She breaks off the engagement and heads to LA to live her dream. It's a cute book and a mindless read.
Janna
May 30, 2012 Janna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Mar 27, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So, I am going on a reading tour through lots of different genres. Here is this year's Chick-Lit offering.

I found it predictable, unlikely, and all aspects seemed to just "color within the lines." There was some decent dialogue--the heroine had a pretty quick wit. Otherwise--ho-hum.
Kristina
Jul 20, 2009 Kristina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2006
I can't remember anything about this book. It's chic lit. Really, what redeeming does it have? Let's be honest, it was a bunch of fluff and unrealistic characters and events. Real life is not like this.
Megan
Jun 22, 2012 Megan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-flick
Kind of a mindless read with cliche, ultra-polarized characters, but still entertaining enough to finish. And it was very easy to breeze through. Could have done without the unnecessary profanity, however.
Pernilla
Oct 22, 2015 Pernilla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An easy read for someone in the mood for a little romance.
Darlene Emanuel
Read this in basically a day. I enjoyed it.
Shamekia
Aug 09, 2008 Shamekia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
It was alright, predictable, but then again what chick novel isn't?

~S
Rachel
Jul 15, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
cute
Lauren
Silly and stupid book. None of the characters seemed realistic or interesting. Never did I believe that the protagonist and her eventual love interest belonged together. A waste all together.
Linsey
Jun 17, 2013 Linsey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute light read about an overbearing boyfriend who makes all the decisions and a girl who finally decides to grow up and make decisions for herself.
  • Testing Kate
  • In One Year and Out the Other: A New Year's Story Collection
  • Accidental It Girl
  • How I Stole Her Husband
  • Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?
  • The Blonde Theory
  • The Year of Living Famously
  • The Nine Month Plan
  • Love @ First Site
  • Spin
This is the part where I’m supposed to brag about all my illustrious accomplishments, but honestly, I’d rather talk about my dogs and brag about some of the things I haven’t done:

I’ve never been to prison*, court-ordered rehab*, or splashed across the cover of a salacious weekly gossip tabloid with my ladybits on display**.

I’m a Leo, a middle child, and a formidable Trivial Pursuit opponent. I re
More about Beth Kendrick...