The Destined Queen (Umbria, #2)

The Destined Queen (Umbria #2)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  257 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this follow-up to The Wizard's Ward, Maura and Rath must choose whether to answer or ignore the call of fate-but will happen to their country if they choose the latter?
Published August 1st 2005 by Luna Books (first published 2005)

Poison Study by Maria V. SnyderMagic Study by Maria V. SnyderFire Study by Maria V. SnyderCast in Shadow by Michelle SagaraSea Glass by Maria V. Snyder
LUNA Books
42nd out of 91 books — 129 voters

More lists with this book...

Linda
Apr 14, 2011 Linda rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Fans of Harry Potter, Twilight , Discovery of Witches
I read The Wizard's Ward, the 1st book in this series, and fell in love with the fantasy world that Deborah Hale created. I had trouble finding this book (I purchased it before I purchased my Kindle), but it was well worth it! This book is even more fantastic than The Wizard's Ward. I didn't think it could get any better! Maura has awakened Rath, the "Waiting King", and she is indeed the "Destined Queen." Maura & Rath must travel into the unknown to search for and fulfill their destinies. Th...more
Melissa
After finishing The Wizard's Ward , which I enjoyed, I knew I had to go ahead and finish out this two-book story with The Destined Queen, and conveniently I had the second book close at hand. By the way, if you haven't read the first book, there will be some spoilers in this review... I had admitted to worrying that I wouldn't enjoy the second book as much as the first because the anticipation of the eventual romance between Maura and Rath wouldn't be there. And while it wasn't, Hale was adept e...more
Rosa Aquafire
QUALITY: 3
ENJOYABILITY: 2

This book was definitely better than the first, but it was also a lot less fun, especially in the second half. The first was quite wonderful. I loved the Vesten Islands and their different culture, loved the stuff with the sea-faring adventures and Captain Gull. But when they headed back to the mainland, everything from there on felt slow and unwieldy and unfocused.

I enjoyed these books for what they are: a fun, easy diversion, but I'm glad there isn't a third one, even...more
Nicole
The story was a nice conclusion, though the end did seem a little rushed (though, it did manage to suprise me a few times). The action and the drama are extremely well written, but whenevre she got to a romantic part, the writing turned into over the top, flowery, purpule prose that made you gag on how sugery it was. When it comes to the romance scenes, it really seemed like Hale was trying WAY too hard.
Jessica Pesic
Definitely not as good as the first- which wasn't that good to begin with so that's not saying much. The ending was a big let down, it almost felt as though the author just wanted to get it done and over with. I would say this novel was aimed towards a much younger age group, like early teens or even younger.
Sara
For a while, my friend and I were obsessed with all the books published with the LUNA logo; however, it seems like the publishers tried too hard to keep a steady flow of these novels at the expense of actually seeking out quality feminist fantastical fiction.
Gardavson
A nice follow up to their story. I didn't quite feel it as much as the first, but I think that was because the first was a lovely romance, and this was the pair fulfilling their destiny. Loved the characters, loved their story. Well done.
April Sarah
This was truthful a random book I found to keep myself occupied during a long trip. It was entertaining to read but not truly memorable.
ReadALot
never read the first book but i think i got the gist
this wasnt a suck up fairy tale book so for that im grateful
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2014
Hepatica
Hepatica marked it as to-read
Apr 07, 2014
Carilu
Carilu marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Stephanie Duchesne
Stephanie Duchesne marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Clara
Clara marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2014
Nikki Pennell
Nikki Pennell marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2014
Lyra
Lyra marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Alice
Alice marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2014
Jody Graf
Jody Graf marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
  • On Fire's Wings (Final Dance, #1)
  • The Dawn Star (Lost Continent, #3)
  • Shattered Dance (White Magic, #3)
  • Seraphim (Changelings, #1)
  • Silver's Bane (Shadowlands #2)
  • Sorceress Of Faith (The Summoning, #2)
  • Under Camelot's Banner (The Paths to Camelot, #3)
  • The Barbed Rose (One Rose Trilogy, #2)
  • Charmed Destinies
  • Voice of Crow (Aspect of Crow, #2)
The Wizard's Ward (Umbria, #1) Beauty and the Baron Bought: The Penniless Lady  (Gentlemen of Fortune, #2) The Baron's Governess Bride (Glass Slipper Brides, #2) Married: The Virgin Widow