Start by marking “A Steady Rain: A Play” as Want to Read:
A Steady Rain: A Play

A Steady Rain: A Play

Joey and Denny have been best friends since kindergarten, and after working together for several years as policemen in Chicago, they are practically family: Joey helps out with Denny's wife and kids; Denny keeps Joey away from the bottle. But when a domestic disturbance call takes a turn for the worse, their friendship is put on the line. The result is a difficult journey ...more
Published February 2nd 2010 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about A Steady Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Steady Rain

Carmen
Nov 15, 2015 Carmen rated it it was amazing
When reading this play I had the impression I was experiencing the same feelings as the readers in the 40's when they read through newly published copies of A Streetcar named Desire or Death of a Salesman : "This play is going to become an instant classic". I believe within fifty years "A Steady Rain" is going to be considered a defining play from 21st century.

Two cops, talking about their life.They’re not bad guys, or at least they don’t want to be, and sure they aren't heros. They do not lead
Dave
Mar 02, 2014 Dave rated it liked it
The language of the play is wonderful and captures the feel of Chicago perfectly. The characters are tree dimensional, richly detailed and fully developed.

This may be one of the rare good plays that is better suited to the movie theater than the stage. As compelling as the story is, the format, at least of the production I saw, of having just the two men in two chairs talking to the audience and to each other, usually in memory was too static. There is a difference between theater and story-tell
Emily
Sep 08, 2014 Emily rated it really liked it
The characters are well developed and the story is certainly an interesting one. I wasn't the biggest fan of it being a narrative rather than a play in the moment. I feel like it limits the productions considering how talented the actors need to be in order for it to really be a success. It's a challenge for actor and director alike, and I would love to see a production of it.
Gypsysoul_
Jan 09, 2013 Gypsysoul_ rated it really liked it
Shelves: theatre-scripts
Gripping story which kept the reader glued to the book. I couldn't put it down, but I hate to admit, & this may just be me, but I did predict where he was going with the story. There were turns, raw emotions, & brilliant storytelling but I prefer to have a story that keeps me guessing.
Jason
May 24, 2010 Jason rated it really liked it
While I liked this play, I can see why some people had a problem with it. I can see it being very confusing as to who is speaking to whom and why-and when it's only a 2 person play that poses a challenge.
Trent Zelazny
Nov 12, 2011 Trent Zelazny rated it it was amazing
This two-man play has such amazing, raw power, I was moved to tears. Been a while since something has done that.
Kristina Cole
Dec 04, 2010 Kristina Cole rated it really liked it
Gritty, dirty, compelling. Would love to see it staged some time, but it's probably a little (ok, a lot) ambitious for community theater.
Lucas Ho
Lucas Ho rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Nahid
Nahid rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2016
Mariah
Mariah rated it liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Tommy
Tommy rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2010
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2010
Nisha B. 08
Nisha B. 08 rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2010
Richard Carozza
Richard Carozza rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Jun 08, 2014
Richard T. Kline
Richard T. Kline rated it it was amazing
Aug 17, 2016
Peter Bonilla
Peter Bonilla rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2014
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
Klaudia
Klaudia rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2012
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was ok
May 14, 2012
jane s mathie
jane s mathie rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2017
Victor Zajac
Victor Zajac rated it really liked it
Aug 25, 2012
Chris
Chris rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2014
Mike Rothstein
Mike Rothstein rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2014
Alec
Alec rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2011
Amanda Funk
Amanda Funk rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2014
Erin
Feb 23, 2010 Erin rated it it was amazing
Unbelievably compelling; it reads like a novel. Heart-breaking and amazing piece of work.
Skippydance
Skippydance rated it it was amazing
May 21, 2016