Start by marking “The President's Daughter” as Want to Read:
The President's Daughter

The President's Daughter (Sean Dillon #6)

3.82  ·  Rating Details ·  2,740 Ratings  ·  108 Reviews
Twenty years ago, a brave young man in Vietnam saved the life of a widowed Frenchwoman, and a brief, passionate affair ensued. Now that young hero is President of the United States, a true golden boy - until the day his world turns upside down. On a visit to Paris, he sees his former love again for the first time, and she directs his attention to a beautiful young woman ac ...more
Audio, Abridged, 0 pages
Published January 1st 2003 by Audio Literature (first published May 19th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The President's Daughter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The President's Daughter

Dina Begum
Nov 20, 2010 Dina Begum rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A brave young American in Vietnam saved the life of a Frenchwoman whose husband was presumably dead. The 2 had an affair which ended abruptly when the lovers discovered that her husband was alive after all. Now, 20 years later, the young man has become the President of the United States and has discovered that he had a daughter with the Frenchwoman. But a group of terrorists has also learned of the girl's relationship to the president, and when they seize her and hold her at ransom, the presiden ...more
Darren
Aug 04, 2011 Darren rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book more than 10 years ago. It was my first Sean Dillon book and it was difficult to understand the history. However, I plan on going back and re-reading this book at some time in the future. From what I remember, it was good, but hard to follow.
Uri
Not bad, it was ok. I guess it's worth reading if you already are into the Sean Dillon series by Higgins, otherwise it's nothing special.

The funny thing is, by the time I was halfway done with this book I realized I had already read it. Nonetheless, I decided to finish reading it even though it's quite predictable and the end came back to me as the last part of the plot was unfolding.

Sean Dillon books are just like watching a TV series: you know that no matter what dangers he and his allies are
Dani
May 09, 2017 Dani rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the Sean Dillon books. Readers really should hate him as a former member of the IRA, but you can't help but like him. This time Ferguson calls on Dillon to help rescue the secret daughter of the President of the United States. A great read with lots of action, twists and turns. This is the second time I have read this and I am sure it won't be the last.
Joanna
Jan 03, 2017 Joanna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The beginning - a bit too far-fetched for my liking, but then again, maybe I am just not romantic enough. Definitely a quick read, so if someone is looking for a page turner - that might be it. I just have a bit of mixed feelings with regards to the books with predictable finale.
Pam
Feb 27, 2017 Pam rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook
Like Jack Higgins, so thought I'd like this. However, found this difficult to follow. Perhaps it was the accent of the reader for the audio version. The plot was intriguing though. Do plan on reading a new one by Higgins - Rain on the Dead.
Andrew
Feb 20, 2017 Andrew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Jack Higgins.
Scott Welch
Sep 14, 2015 Scott Welch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Those who follow Jack Higgins' character Sean Dillon (along with the Prime Minister's private anti-terrorist army, assembled by Brigadier Charles Ferguson) should enjoy this one. When extremists discover that U.S. President Jake Cazalet has an illegitimate daughter, Marie de Brissac (from a one-night love affair with a French lady when he was serving in Vietnam), they kidnap her and use her to blackmail Cazalet into bombing specific Arab countries they believe detrimental to Israel, something Ca ...more
Henri Moreaux
This novel is number 6 in the Dillon series and is basically a kidnapping & ransom story with the details jiggled a little.

The illegitimate daughter of the President of the United States is kidnapped by Israeli hardliners in an attempt to blackmail him into signing off on the wholesale attack of Israel's enemies - Iran, Iraq & Syria.

Predictably the hero, Sean Dillon, enters the fray and after a few ups and downs the day is saved yet again.

Overall, it's not a bad book, it doesn't redefin
Atrvrs3
Jan 08, 2014 Atrvrs3 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started out a bit slowly but ended in the most satisfying way.

Jake Cazalet, a former Vietnam soldier, is president of the United States. When he was in Vietnam, he saved a Frenchwoman's life, and the two had a short affair. Twenty years later, he finds out that he and the same woman have a daughter and that she was kidnapped and held for ransom by a brutal extremist group. Cazalet is faced with a tough decision- comply with the killers' demands and send the United States to its doom,
Ed
#6 in the Sean Dillon series.

Sean Dillon series - Jake Cazalet was 26 years old when he rescued a young Frenchwoman in Vietnam. Their short, passionate affair resulted in a daughter, Marie, unknown to Jake during his meteoric rise from decorated war hero to senator to U.S. president. Now, he meets her briefly before her mother's death, and all agree her identity must be kept a secret. But someone has found out, and Marie's life is in danger unless the president meets terrorists' demands. Enter B
Somnath Banerjee
Jun 21, 2016 Somnath Banerjee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a pretty standard Jack Higgins offering, with a fairly good plot and the old pals Dillon and Farguson now being on the same side. The plot unveils nicely, and the way Dillon and his team tracks down the perpetrator makes quite a readable adventure. After first 50 pages the story picks up speed and it remains till the end. However I expected some kind of twist at the end, specially because the story fashioned itself as more or less of "who-dun-it" genre, but no such unexpected twist was t ...more
Richard
The Sean Dillon series is fun to read. It's not too deep or involved. The plots are generally quite simple and the characters a little wooden. Some of the dialogue makes me cringe slightly but if you're after a good action / espionage story where the good guys always win, then this may be for you. It's not a Tom Clancy or Frederick Forsyth type of novel, just simple to follow and a quick, enjoyable read.
Patrick Broderick
Another good thriller from Higgins. It is part of the whole world he started back with his breakout bestseller, "The Eagle Has Landed". He has written almost 2 dozen books with ties to that novel - most set in the 1990s like this one. There is action in the course of the story but just enough to allow to plot and the characters to become more real.

This was a good book that I enjoyed but I want to go back and read the original novel, Eagle, again.
Mikiel Ottmar
May 12, 2016 Mikiel Ottmar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Certainly kept my attention, as do all Higgins books. Lots of twists and turns he is able to bring together. It's fun to visit "old friends" like Dillon, Ferguson, Bernstein, and of course the Salter "boys" among others.
The characters are aging nicely while staying believable. I like the research he does and melds it into a story which holds true.
Am enjoying rereading the books and looking forward to the next. mikiel
Jan C
Jan 02, 2009 Jan C rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I am giving up the ghost on this one.

It just hasn't been able to grab my interest.

I used to love Jack Higgins. Very exciting stories. Maybe part of the problem is they have been re-releasing earlier ones and that kind of spoils you for later ones.

This is a later one but it just doesn't have the old Jack Higgins excitement to it. At least not for me.

Maybe my Jack Higgins days are over.

Plus I have to move in the next few months so it is time to cull the dead weight.
Amir Fahmin
J. Ewbank
This book by Jack Higgins starts a little slowly but then gathers steam and finishes well.

As others by this author the U.S. Presidency is involved in the story. It also invoves the FBI and others who come to know a secret about the President that could derail a lot of things.

Naturally, the President turns to Sean Dillon to help him solve the problem and therein lies the rest of the story, as they say.

A good read.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Doug Dams
Another in the Sean Dillon series. These books are usually fast paced, page turning adventures. Pure brain candy. The book starts with an interesting premise: a president with a daughter born from a one night stand who is used to pressure the President to attack Iraq, Iran and Syria by a patriotic Jewish terrorist group. Sean Dillon is captured, released, fakes his own death and ultimately rescues the President's daughter. It's action all the way. Definitely good escapist fun.
Steve Taylor
Mildly interesting thesis for the plot. I agree with other reviewers that the book has continual 'action', but often it seems that the 'action' is generally more a straight telling of a story without much description. I found the climax to be more involved in this regard, but I actually contemplated not even reading the end because there was no suspense as to how it would occur. All in all, a weak read, mildly entertaining, but could have skipped it and not missed it.
Jenny Knippa
Jan 08, 2013 Jenny Knippa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An enjoyable thriller with multi-faceted characters readers could care about, including ancillary cohorts returning long ago earned favors who readers might want to see more of in other novels. "The President's Daughter" has a compelling plot; spinning with twists and dotted with violence which stokes deep thought and conversation about how far a man will/should go for his cause. A book worth reading, definitely!
Bibliom
May 27, 2011 Bibliom rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Higgins once more had me turning pages and devouring words as I followed my favorite Irish operative and his british and american friends once more down a dangerous path filled with love, and betrayal and all that lies in between. Throw in kidnapping and a small AK 47 and you have the making of yet another brilliant higgins novel. Hope you enjoy.
05zachd
Jan 13, 2014 05zachd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was a really good book. i like all of the stuff in it especially the ending. I like all of the adventure in it too. At times it was hard to put down but my favorite part was when they attacked the castle. i didn't really know all the characters and stuff because it wasn't the first book but it was still really good and i did perfectly fine without the other books.
Sara
Sep 06, 2007 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: politically-obsessed adventure-lovers who enjoy espionage and crystal blue Caribbean waters
Shelves: mystery
I read this book a long time ago, but I remember loving the mystery, the setting, and the premise. The main character kicked some serious ass and reading about the Caribbean made me want to go on vacation there for the rest of my life so I could go diving and find interesting pieces of history underwater.
Aaron
Mar 02, 2013 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was better written than the first two in this series that I read. It is not as predictable as his earlier efforts but still not a gripping page turner either. I listened to the audio version while traveling and it kept my interest. If you're looking for a book to burn some time, this will do.
Brent
Dec 02, 2012 Brent rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Simplistic language, marginely captivating. Tells the story of a Senator turned President whose illegitamate child becomes the target of a kidnapping by Israeli nationalists. Dillon, a former IRA nationalist and mercenary, is tasked with saving her. In the scheme of things, this one can be skipped by the avid reader.
Bonnie
Apr 25, 2010 Bonnie rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Intrigue--who is this guy?, who can you trust? Action--shootings, escapes, explosions, kidnappings. Sean Dillon is the can't-be-beat go-to guy who saves the day, and the President's French daughter.
Isaac
Oct 14, 2010 Isaac rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those thrillers packed with mystery and action that will only allow you to wonder and be amazed. The sides are clear and it is a battle between 2 parties, that with their large possession of powers, anything can happen.
Danny Howson
Jan 16, 2015 Danny Howson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just loved this book, brilliant read it just grips you from start to finish Sean Dillion and Blake Johnson two notorious specialist having to find the presidents daughter who has been kidnap possible one of the best reads i have read for a while
Laurie
Jan 13, 2015 Laurie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
wow, this book is really bad. But it moves right along in its overly predictable manner, and it's something to read to pass the time until I can get a proper book! No, I don't recommend it unless it's the only thing you can get your hands on. And you're desperate.
  • Quantum Web (Nolan Kilkenny Mystery, #2)
  • Traitor (Stratton, #6)
  • Finnegan's Week
  • The Bannerman Solution
  • The Matarese Countdown (Matarese #2)
  • The Unforgiven
  • Sacred Stone (The Oregon Files, #2)
  • Assignment in Brittany
  • Crackdown
  • The Undertaker's Widow
  • Red Notice (Tom Buckingham, #1)
  • Treasure of the Golden Cheetah (Jade del Cameron Mysteries, #5)
  • Ice Reich
  • An Expensive Place to Die
  • India Black and the Gentleman Thief (Madame of Espionage, #4)
  • False Friends (Dan Shepherd, #9)
  • Decider
  • The Stockholm Syndicate
19706
There is more than one author in the Goodreads database with this name.

Jack Higgins is the pseudonym of Harry Patterson (b. 1929), the New York Times bestselling author of more than seventy thrillers, including The Eagle Has Landed and The Wolf at the Door. His books have sold more than 250 million copies worldwide.

Born in Newcastle upon Tyne, England, Patterson grew up in Belfast, Northern Irelan
More about Jack Higgins...

Sean Dillon (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Eye of the Storm (Sean Dillon, #1)
  • Thunder Point (Sean Dillon #2)
  • On Dangerous Ground  (Sean Dillon #3)
  • Angel of Death (Sean Dillon, #4)
  • Drink with the Devil (Sean Dillon #5)
  • The White House Connection (Sean Dillon, #7)
  • Day of Reckoning (Sean Dillon, #8)
  • Edge of Danger (Sean Dillon, #9)
  • Midnight Runner (Sean Dillon, #10)
  • Bad Company (Sean Dillion, #11)

“tried to straighten it. “I must look a mess,” she said and smiled.” 1 likes