Start by marking “Wave” as Want to Read:
Wave

Wave

It's December 2004 and Sam and his parents are leaving frostbitten Ontario for a vacation in lush, sun-soaked Thailand. Sam's sister Beth is staying behind. She drives her family to the airport to bid them farewell, not knowing that what awaits them is a natural disaster of unimaginable proportions.

Over the next few days, Sam will find himself thrust into the very centre o
Published December 1st 2009 by Doubleday Canada

To ask other readers questions about Wave, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Wave

1984 by George OrwellHamlet by William ShakespeareMacbeth by William ShakespeareDracula by Bram StokerUglies by Scott Westerfeld
One Word Titles
310th out of 1,158 books — 147 voters
The Summoning by Kelley ArmstrongA Mortal Song by Megan CreweThe Gathering by Kelley ArmstrongThe Awakening by Kelley ArmstrongFalling Kingdoms by Morgan Rhodes
Canadian YA
141st out of 255 books — 87 voters

More lists with this book...

Lori Matheson
Jun 04, 2016 Lori Matheson rated it really liked it
My 12 year old told me that I had to read this. He rarely recommends that I read his books but each time that he has I have been pleased with his choice. It likely was written for a 11-13 year old audience but I thought it was a great read. Once I got through the first couple of chapters it was very difficult to put down.
Tasha-Lynn
Apr 13, 2011 Tasha-Lynn rated it it was amazing
Being the giant Canadian author junkie that I am, people find it weird that Ive never read Eric Walters before. I decided to start with Wave for two reasons: I remember being glued to the television set when the tsunami disaster in Thailand happened because I just couldnt wrap my brain around such massive disaster and because I am going to Thailand this fall and I have always been interested in that country. So when I picked up this book I expected a decent story, Ive always been told that Eric ...more
Sydney
Apr 03, 2012 Sydney rated it liked it
It needs a better ending!
Jessalyn C.
Nov 09, 2016 Jessalyn C. rated it it was amazing
This book was super good! Mostly because I like books with lots of mystery and Suspenceful, and that's what happened a lot at the end of each chapter. It made me want to keep reading on and on. Then when I was at the ending there was sort of a twist that was exciting but sad too. Wave is one of my favourite books. I am definitely going to read different books from this Author!
Laurie Hutchison
Nov 01, 2016 Laurie Hutchison rated it really liked it
Loved the story! Felt frustrated at the way it ended, really struggled with just not knowing what happened! Really enjoying Eric Walters' writing style, can't put his books down.
BCHS Hot Picks Reviews
Apr 07, 2013 BCHS Hot Picks Reviews rated it really liked it
Review by Valerie

Sam and his family are going on their annual vacation to Thailand. Only there is only one slight change this year, Beth, Sam’s older sister will not be joins them. This tear jerking book will bring you through high and low times. When you imagine what Sam has to deal with.

Over the next few days, Sam will find himself thrust into the very centre of a crisis he could have never anticipated-one that will test his instinct to survive- while Beth, safe at home halfway across the wor
Emil B
Apr 19, 2012 Emil B rated it really liked it
Book review on Wave by Eric Walters, Book review by Emil B
Sam’s family on four has a family tradition that is to go to thailand every Christmas. Christmas in 2004 sam’s sister stay’s behind in new york to study so it is only sam and his parents that are going to thailand. Beth his sister drives them to the airport to say a last good bye before they leave but she does not know what her family is going to go through. Over the next few days Sam has to go through some of the worst things of his life
SheActsLikeSummer
Nov 20, 2012 SheActsLikeSummer rated it did not like it
I wish it were possible to give a negative star because no book deserves it more than this one. You might be thinking I'm selfish in saying this, that I don't care for what this book is about. That I don't understand. But I do understand. I was there.
I've grown up overseas, living in 5 countries in 13 years. I was living in Sri Lanka when the tsunami hit. I didn't live by the coast so I wasn't directly affected by it. My mum worked for UNICEF at the time so we had to travel to the areas that ha
Jasmine Hawamdeh
Dec 09, 2011 Jasmine Hawamdeh rated it really liked it
Shelves: december-reads
Its December 2004 and just another Christmas tradition vacation. The only difference this year is that Sam's sister won't be joining them this year. And boy does she regret it after. The tradition vacation is to quiet, beautiful, sun kissed Thailand right near the water in a resort. Sam, his father and his mother are enjoying their vacation as soon as they get their, while Beth is at home trying to enjoy what she has. One day the three that are in Thailand are on the beach, no warning, nothing. ...more
Rainbow
Mar 30, 2013 Rainbow rated it really liked it

This book is based on a very sad disaster, the 2004 tsunami. A very special family Sam, Beth and there parents goes to Thailand for there yearly trip during Christmas. But this time it was going to be different Beth the oldest sister is not going to be joining them, this was going to be the best and worst decisions she has made. The first few days that Sam and his family are there it is just like paradise they got to go on a elephant and sit in front of the beach each day sing carols receive pr
Leenchen
May 15, 2013 Leenchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Meine Güte, was hab ich geheult.

Das Schlimme an dem Buch ist, es werden Filme beschrieben, die man selber von damals sehr gut kennt und der Schock und die Fassungslosigkeit von damals, als ich die Filme im Fernsehen und später Youtube gesehen habe, der kam damit wieder hoch und damit auch die Trauer um so viele Todesopfer.

Das Buch begann ganz harmlos, aber man weiß genau was passiert und damit liest man den Anfang genauer, denkt sich dabei, wie glücklich die Familie doch ist, wie schön ihre letz
Lauren
Sep 15, 2016 Lauren added it
This book is really good. It changes the point of view half way threw the book, I liked that.
Anna Sthesia
Apr 25, 2014 Anna Sthesia rated it it was amazing
Terror and sadness, living in a world were one second you could die. In 2004 just before Christmas Sam and his parents fly over to sun-soaked Thailand leaving Beth, his sister, for the first time at home. When the family is just relaxing and having a great visit at perfect Thailand the water pulls out miles offshore, when everyone runs out, they stay behind. Sam is sitting at home after staying because of her university swim team. As she lies there, Beth gets a call from her boyfriend to turn on ...more
Gabriel
Dec 19, 2012 Gabriel rated it it was amazing
This was a very emotional and exciting book talking about the tsunami that hit Thailand. Sam and his family were suppose to go but Sam stayed behind for studies. It turned out to be a bitter sweet decision. A tsunami hit Thailand and all Sam could do was watch the news and pray her family is okay.
I chose this book because Eric Walters is one of my favorite authors and I love intense action books because it gives me excitement and makes me feel like i'm a character in the book.
I finished thi
Korinne
Apr 08, 2016 Korinne rated it really liked it
I've heard a lot about Eric Walters and about how wonderful his books are, but I've never really picked one up. I recently read Walking Home and loved it, so I decided to try another of Eric Walter's books. Wave is my second Eric Walters book and I liked it almost as much as Walking Home. Though defined as a children's book, Wave is honest and real, and doesn't shy away from reality. Wave tells the truth of what happened during the tsunami of 2004, but isn't morbid. It's the perfect balance.

It w
Peggy
Apr 08, 2012 Peggy rated it liked it
12-year-old Sam and his parents are off to Thailand for Christmas. As they are enjoying a relaxing day on the beach, the worst happens - the December 2004 tsunami. As Sam and his parents struggle to survive, his sister Beth is in New York dealing with the realization that her family may be missing forever.

The story is captivating and well-written. The characters are believable although not fully flushed out. As a teen read, it is good and would be particularly good for a reluctant reader. The e
Brittany
I needed to read something short and quick. I've been meaning to read another Eric Walters book for forever. So Wave was a perfect pick. It's about the 2004 tsunami, so I knew it would be emotional. I think Walters did a fantastic job capturing the devastation felt by the family the book follows as well as the people of Thailand(where the family was vacationing). I didn't think this was the most well written of Walters books. But I don't think it was meant to be. Nor did that take away from the ...more
Carlie
Oct 20, 2011 Carlie rated it it was amazing
Amazing. I just read it again, and i usally dont do that. Seeing her parents and brother go to Thailand, beth stays home for this christmas. But when a tsunami hits, beth makes her way over to find her loved ones. I loved both sides of the story (brothers and beth). Its so sad though! I think the part when Beth checks those tarps was a really good part. I loved how the end of the chapter goes "(someone) lifts up the next tarp and my dads face stares at me." Idk why, but i like how he wrote that. ...more
Celena
Apr 29, 2012 Celena rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Thought that the author really captured the concept of how devastating the Tsunami was that hit Thailand. The ending i found very heart breaking. But i think the reason to why this book is so good is because some people would be able to relate to the characters, also the story is written very well. And it also touches your heart, the way Sam does every thing he can do find his family in the destruction the disaster left behind. Its a short book, but a good one.
~ I real
Emily
May 22, 2016 Emily rated it really liked it
Another amazing book by Eric Walters. I love his style of writing and I liked the way this book was split between the brother's and the sister's point of views. Although the characters in this book are not real people, their story is based off of true events and I cannot imagine having gone through a tragedy such as this one. To have been there when the tsunami hit and then having to survive the aftermath, some families were able to reunite but many did not and that is incredibly hard to think ...more
Danielle
Nov 21, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it
Amazing Book! It really desplayes how devastating the Tsunami was, and how many lives were lost! Normally, I don't like books with alternating narrators, but the way Eric Walters made the two so different but yet the same is incredible. I love how the drama is increasing...decreasing...increasing...decreasing...increasing, etc. And it really is great how the characters are so young and relatable, but yet, what they go through is incredible.
Matthew Whitelaw
Feb 03, 2013 Matthew Whitelaw rated it it was amazing

Over the next few days, Sam will find himself thrust into the very center of a crisis he could never have anticipated, one that will test his instinct to survive.
Harriette
May 26, 2012 Harriette rated it really liked it
Two siblings find themselves in the devastation of the 2004 tsunami as it hits a Thai resort island. Half the book is told from the brother's point of view, who is in Thailand with his parents, while the second half is told by the sister who travels there in order to find her family. The author brings to life this episode of world history and allows you to feel the emotions better than a news report can.
Julia
Jan 03, 2014 Julia rated it it was ok
Quite a disappointment. This has been my second Eric Walters book that I've read, and I must say I really don't like his style. After reading such great books with rich vocabulary, Walters' books resemble the writings of a seventh grader. His story drags on, and the ending fell flat. Such tragedy strikes, and all I'm left with is that the children are just relaxing on a beach like nothing happened? A good idea, but very poor execution.
Sabrina
Aug 11, 2010 Sabrina rated it really liked it
The book WAVE by Eric Walters was a true tale to account what happened on the dreadful Christmas in 2004. A terrible tsnami hit Thailand among other places. This story is told in two perspectives: Beth and Sam. Sam is living the horror while his sister Beth is scared to death at home. Eric Walters has a talent for writing true events into his stories. It was a pleasurable read and taught us something too!
Joanne L
Jan 22, 2016 Joanne L rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Overcoming-Hardships-in-Life-Readers
Recommended to Joanne L by: Friends @ School
I rated this book, 5 stars because I thought that the main character was really brave because the fact that he had survive and had saved other people's lives of the tsunami. He was also brave because he had also lost his father because he, too had helped a lot of people and ended up dying. This book is told by the true story.
Mizuki
May 20, 2010 Mizuki rated it it was amazing
This book is about the real thing happened in December, 2004. The tsunami comes to Thailand while Sam and his parents are on holiday. Beth, Sam's sister, stayes safe at home in New York and wonders if she will ever see her family again....
If you want to know what happenes to the family, READ THIS BOOK!
Jessie
Aug 11, 2012 Jessie rated it it was amazing

This book is outstanding. It is never boring and it is hard to put down. I was so hooked to this book I read it whenever I could. Wave is one of the best books I have ever read and I recommend it to anyone who loves adventure and doesn't mind a sad ending.
Tomiko
Nov 28, 2016 Tomiko rated it really liked it
Eric Walters's novel is one you won't be able to put down. It pulls you in and leaves you wandering Phuket amid a time of disaster. You'll find yourself holding your breath, swimming to the surface, and waiting, crossing your fingers for that happy ending.
Jan 29, 2012 Sarah rated it it was amazing
this book was really good but also really sad. it was one of the saddest books i've ever read and i don't usually read sad books, but i really love this author so i read it. i was practically crying for the whole end of the book but it was amazing!
  • Bifocal
  • Dear Jo: The Story of Losing Leah ... and Searching for Hope.
  • Dancing Through the Snow
  • A Season for Miracles
  • Lost on Brier Island
  • The Candy Darlings
  • The Whole Truth
  • Finding Grace
  • Break and Enter (Chloe & Levesque, #5)
  • Word Nerd
  • The Diary of Laura's Twin
  • Haunted Waters
  • Ink Me (Seven, #4)
  • The Girl with the Mermaid Hair
  • Buddy Is a Stupid Name for a Girl
  • Counting Back From Nine
  • The Secret Deepens (Grim Hill, #2)
  • Jolted: Newton Starker's rules for survival
Eric was born in Toronto in 1957, which makes him "real old". But, as Eric says, "Just because I have to grow old doesn't mean that I have to grow up!" In his many roles as parent, teacher, social worker, youth sports coach and writer he is in constant contact with children and young adults. He draws from these experiences and feels that this helps him to capture the realistic interaction between ...more
More about Eric Walters...