Start by marking “Be a Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be” as Want to Read:
Be a Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be

Be a Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be

Men are rediscovering the importance of the spiritual life. And Father Larry Richards is helping them do it. While some writers apply a one-size-fits-all approach to the Christian life, Father Richards draws on his many years of ministry and his own experience as a man to inspire other men as men. In Be a Man!, he recounts his struggles to learn true manhood, as well as th ...more
Published October 1st 2009 by Ignatius Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Be a Man!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be a Man!

Damos
May 17, 2012 Damos rated it it was amazing
I did not need another book to read. But I needed to read this book.

If you are a Christian man (particularly if you're Catholic) read this book, take it seriously & do what it says. I am about to begin.

Fr Larry Richards is a man after God's own heart & sets out some challenges for men to be men, real men, men of God, followers of Jesus Christ, leaders among our families, role models for our world.

For me this book is about salvation. It's time for the rubber to hit the road & to get s
Steven R. McEvoy
This book was an incredible read. But to be honest I have had a hard time figuring out how to review it. Fr. Larry Richards in this book, challenges us to be real men, authentic men, men of God. It is a call to be true Christian men, to be a Catholic gentleman.

When I first read this section it had an instant impact:

"I make this very explicit when I am preaching at a marriage ceremony. I start with the bride and I say, "Sweetheart, you read the Bible every day, don't you?" At first I usually get
John Overman
Mar 21, 2011 John Overman rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed Father Larry's conversational and powerful narrative. This is a clear call for Christian men to be strong in their faith, starting with family and permeating into all other areas of life. Father Larry defines manhood as being in love with God and truth, devoutly serving your wife, modeling morality for your kids, and being an ethical leader at work and in your community. He outlines and discusses these focal points: 1) focus on God, 2) live like a son of God, 3) repent, 4) embrac ...more
Patrick
Nov 10, 2010 Patrick rated it really liked it
If the priest played by actor Karl Malden in the movie "On the Waterfront" had written a book, it would have sounded a lot like this one by Fr. Larry Richards. The self-deprecating asides here sometimes fall flat, but the overall tone of straight-shooting bonhomie is genuine. The checklist at the back, a quick reference to "30 Tasks You Must Accomplish To Help You Become the Man You Were Created to Be" had me ambling to the copier.

Fr. Richards packs a lot of practical and spiritual advice on ho
Philip
Oct 14, 2010 Philip rated it really liked it
This is a hard one to call. I really liked the book. The content is hard hitting, pull no punches, in your face, this is what you have to do for Eternal life stuff.
The message is what it needs to be. The content is what it needs to be. The delivery isn't great and Fr. Larry's personality doesn't work great for me but it is what it is.
It is at times contradictory in terms: Don't ram things down people's throats, live by example, be a witness. Coming from Fr. Larry who uses a sledge hammer to ram
Ramon
Mar 26, 2011 Ramon rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Men
Recommended to Ramon by: Local book store
Shelves: catholic-reads
I enjoyed the book very much. I usually get books on audio but I won the book in a drawing at a local bookstore and thought it was kind of odd that I won this book. It took me about 6 months to pick it up and read it. But I believe the old saying when the student is ready the teacher will appear. I found the book very helpful in my spiritual journey. Fr. was direct and hit the topics right on the head. I have heard Fr give other talks and he can be brash but usually makes his point. In life some ...more
Jenn
Oct 15, 2010 Jenn rated it liked it
What I think is a great strength of this book is that it doesn't waste time being polite. The questions and practical things to do at the end of each chapter are particularly helpful, since it's often difficult to concretize abstract ideas into positive action items.

I think it is a needed book. Men don't know, many times, what it really means to be a man. And from this, women don't really know what it means to be a woman. We need to help each other find our identities in Christ, so that we can m
Aaron
Jan 07, 2016 Aaron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
This was a great book! Fr Larry was a key speaker at a men's conference I attend a few years ago so I was looking forward to reading this book. I hope my sons will eventually read this book.

Fr Larry details how a man should live, following the example of the real man's man, Jesus. The last part of the book is a practical checklist of 30 tasks we need to take to become men after God's heart. I'll be referring back to this checklist often. Thank you God for your workers on earth. May I see you in
Clare Cannon
Mar 08, 2013 Clare Cannon rated it it was amazing
A direct, energetic call to young men to meet God and discover the purpose of their lives. It's about developing a relationship with God, learning to pray and meditate on Scripture, learning to repent when needed, developing strength of character, learning how to love, learning wisdom, learning to be holy wherever one is, learning to be pure in heart, learning to be of service, and much more. He offers excellent, engaging advice, and in spite of the title, it's relevant for girls too. Reviewed f ...more
Σς
Jul 07, 2012 Σς rated it liked it
While the writing style is not to my liking, colloquial and conversational to the point of a fault--chatty, if you will. However, many men who are less picky than I am will profit greatly from this book, in particular the very sort of man for whom it is written. In that sense, then, the book is entirely successful, accomplishing what it intends to. It is one big collar-shaking, which everyone needs once in awhile. We should be grateful for priests like Fr. Richards.
Pat Murray
Aug 21, 2011 Pat Murray rated it really liked it
A good book for someone looking for spiritual direction in their life. He uses this in his personal life and explains to the reader how to make it work in their own. I have started incorporating this book into my daily life. Change is never easy, but you have to start with an effort to try and make that change. If you are not finding fulfillment in your life I highly recommend this book for your consideration.
Denise Y.
Feb 03, 2013 Denise Y. rated it really liked it
From a wife/mother's perspective...a great read that not only aids me in understanding my husband and his calling better and a great prayer tool in helping my boys grow into men of God but also helps me in my relationship with Jesus. I enjoyed Fr. Larry's direct approach. His colloquial style makes for a comfortable read, but the meanings are much deeper and greater, inviting you to be a clearer image of God! Thanks, Fr. Larry Richards.
Adam
Jan 06, 2011 Adam rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religious
This is a great book that really challenges you to be a better Christian man. Father Larry Richards is funny and down to earth guy, and he offers practical advice that all men can relate to. There are also action items and discussion questions at the end of each chapter that I found useful. I would recommend this book to all Christian men who are seeking to grow in their faith.
Trae Johnson
Jan 13, 2013 Trae Johnson rated it liked it
I appreciated some of Fr. Richards' insights and elucidations on the characteristics and habits associated with manhood. There were some good challenges, and a particularly helpful checklist in the back to help men begin to order and achieve manhood. All in all a good book, and one that I would recommend other men to read.
Ryan
Aug 02, 2012 Ryan rated it liked it
Gentlemen, if you're looking for someone to tell it like it is and challenge you to be a real man, Fr. Larry is your guy. If you're just looking for warm fuzzies and someone to make you feel like the status quo is just peachy, go read some Joyce Rupp... or perhaps a selection from Oprah's Book Club.
Emerson John Tiu Ng
Mar 12, 2015 Emerson John Tiu Ng rated it it was amazing
Looking for a book that instruct you how to be a Man... this is a perfect book for you. Fr. Larry Richards discusses different aspects how we stand up and be the man God created us to be... forget other self help book... this is the one.
Jeffrey
May 27, 2011 Jeffrey rated it really liked it
A must read for every Catholic man who wants to find his true purpose and direction in life. Fr. Richard surely doesn't water-down anything but makes sure to tell it as it is about being a godly man. Any man who doesn't like reading might not be able to put this one down.
Lisa
Mar 26, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, catholic
4.5 I really liked the book...I just don't want to contribute to star inflation.

"Holiness is a by-product of love - love of God and love of neighbor.

Holiness is not something you do, it's who you are for God."
Donna
Apr 27, 2013 Donna rated it it was amazing
This book is written with men in mind, but it is so much like Fr. Larry Richards' missions, women can learn, too. Fr. Larry lays out the truth. I'd give it more than 5 stars.
Kirk Newland
Apr 17, 2013 Kirk Newland rated it it was amazing
A great book to wake men up to the need to be a disciple of Christ
Bill Breen
Aug 23, 2013 Bill Breen rated it it was amazing
Be a man-- of GOD!! This book will help you in your spiritual journey. READ THIS BOOK! You will be blessed.
Dominik
Jan 20, 2010 Dominik rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindle
Excellent and well-written. Doesn't pull any punches.
Bruce Slough
Oct 20, 2011 Bruce Slough is currently reading it
Powerful. An inspiration.
Gregg Bissot
Oct 07, 2012 Gregg Bissot rated it really liked it
Good read. If you are used to hearing him talk it is just like that, funny some and in your face.
Joe
May 15, 2011 Joe rated it really liked it
a hard hitting book. Fr. Larry pulls no punches.
Chris
Jan 01, 2013 Chris rated it it was amazing
Great book!
Jeff Koloze
Jul 05, 2016 Jeff Koloze rated it it was amazing
Warning: you may annotate something on every one of the 195 pages of this forceful, enlightening, and often comical book. That is to Fr. Larry Richards’ credit as a master writer whose style is as energetic as his public speaking.

Fr. Richards offers thirty essential tasks that every faithful man must accomplish to live a deeper spiritual life; the thirty tasks are divided among eminently readable chapters, often peppered with his unique sense of humor. Addressing them as “Gentlemen”, Fr. Richar
Matthew MacLennan
Apr 16, 2016 Matthew MacLennan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: religion, self-help
No holds barred.

This book puts it to you straight and puts it to you well! It is addressed to Christian men, particularly but not excluded to Catholic men, and is written in a story/advice kind of way. You feel like Fr. Richards is your dad. This book is action-oriented, but somehow doesn't skimp out on the intellectual aspects.

Each chapter has specific reflection points and specific tasks to ACTUALLY do in order to improve character and grow in holiness. All tasks are summarized at the end of
Mike
May 24, 2014 Mike rated it it was amazing
Fr. Larry Richards hits the nail right on the head with this book. Not only does he tell it like it is, but be careful - if you try to make excuses for your bad conduct, he just might hit more than just the nail on the head...it might be your head he hits!

Fr. Richards has absolutely no toleration for men who make excuses for their bad ways and try to shift blame on others, especially on their parents. As he puts its, we all come from dysfunctional families.

His encouragement to men is to know tha
Tom
May 28, 2015 Tom rated it really liked it
This is an excellent guide for Catholic men on how to live better lives. Father Larry has a down to Earth writing style, and sounds like a priest you would not want to mess with. What I liked most is that he sounds like he's one of the guys who happens to be a priest.

The book includes anecdotes from his own life and lives of others to illustrate his points and many tasks that men can do to become better Catholic men. He references Scripture in many places where appropriate. I recommend this book
  • Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
  • If You Really Loved Me: 101 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity
  • Prayer for Beginners
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To: Divine Answers to Life's Most Difficult Problems
  • Light of the World: The Pope, the Church, and the Sign of the Times - A Conversation with Peter Seewald
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • Good News About Sex & Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching
  • Called to Love: Approaching John Paul II's Theology of the Body
  • Padre Pio: Man of Hope
  • The Better Part: A Christ-Centered Resource for Personal Prayer
  • Confessions of a Mega Church Pastor: How I Discovered the Hidden Treasures of the Catholic Church
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • Arise from Darkness: What to Do When Life Doesn't Make Sense
  • Compendium: Catechism of the Catholic Church
  • Treasure in Clay: The Autobiography of Fulton J. Sheen
A gifted and captivating speaker, preacher, retreat master and author, Father Larry Richards holds the answer to some of life’s most profound questions. He speaks from experience as a pastor of an inner city parish, a high school chaplain, a counselor and evangelist. Fr. Larry Richards has directed hundreds of Retreats, Parish Missions and Conferences for young and old alike. His inspirational tal ...more
More about Larry Richards...

“only way you can prove you love God, and know this, gentlemen, is to obey Him. Period!” 1 likes
“I knew I had to please God, but I wasn’t trying to please Him for His sake, but for my own. I liked existing. The problem is, if the only reason we come to God and follow Him is because of fear of hell, then we are missing the point. Then who are we really loving? Ourselves! The idea that I only do what I do because I don’t want you to get mad at me is inherently selfish.” 1 likes