Start by marking “Be a Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be” as Want to Read:
Be a Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be

Be a Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  330 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Men are rediscovering the importance of the spiritual life, and Father Richards is helping them do so. Here, he recounts his struggles to learn true manhood, as well as the inspiring stories of others he has served in his decades as a priest. He inspires men to become the true heroes they long to be.
Published October 1st 2009 by Ignatius Press (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Be a Man!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be a Man!

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas à KempisCatechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxMere Christianity by C.S. LewisThe Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis
Books for Catholics
18th out of 371 books — 120 voters
Catechism of the Catholic Church by The Catholic ChurchStory of a Soul by Thérèse de LisieuxThe Confessions by Augustine of HippoDark Night of the Soul by John of the CrossThe New American Bible for Catholics by Anonymous
Roman Catholic Reading
96th out of 301 books — 176 voters

More lists with this book...

I did not need another book to read. But I needed to read this book.

If you are a Christian man (particularly if you're Catholic) read this book, take it seriously & do what it says. I am about to begin.

Fr Larry Richards is a man after God's own heart & sets out some challenges for men to be men, real men, men of God, followers of Jesus Christ, leaders among our families, role models for our world.

For me this book is about salvation. It's time for the rubber to hit the road & to get s
If the priest played by actor Karl Malden in the movie "On the Waterfront" had written a book, it would have sounded a lot like this one by Fr. Larry Richards. The self-deprecating asides here sometimes fall flat, but the overall tone of straight-shooting bonhomie is genuine. The checklist at the back, a quick reference to "30 Tasks You Must Accomplish To Help You Become the Man You Were Created to Be" had me ambling to the copier.

Fr. Richards packs a lot of practical and spiritual advice on ho
John Overman
I truly enjoyed Father Larry's conversational and powerful narrative. This is a clear call for Christian men to be strong in their faith, starting with family and permeating into all other areas of life. Father Larry defines manhood as being in love with God and truth, devoutly serving your wife, modeling morality for your kids, and being an ethical leader at work and in your community. He outlines and discusses these focal points: 1) focus on God, 2) live like a son of God, 3) repent, 4) embrac ...more
This is a hard one to call. I really liked the book. The content is hard hitting, pull no punches, in your face, this is what you have to do for Eternal life stuff.
The message is what it needs to be. The content is what it needs to be. The delivery isn't great and Fr. Larry's personality doesn't work great for me but it is what it is.
It is at times contradictory in terms: Don't ram things down people's throats, live by example, be a witness. Coming from Fr. Larry who uses a sledge hammer to ram
Mar 26, 2011 Ramon rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Men
Recommended to Ramon by: Local book store
I enjoyed the book very much. I usually get books on audio but I won the book in a drawing at a local bookstore and thought it was kind of odd that I won this book. It took me about 6 months to pick it up and read it. But I believe the old saying when the student is ready the teacher will appear. I found the book very helpful in my spiritual journey. Fr. was direct and hit the topics right on the head. I have heard Fr give other talks and he can be brash but usually makes his point. In life some ...more
What I think is a great strength of this book is that it doesn't waste time being polite. The questions and practical things to do at the end of each chapter are particularly helpful, since it's often difficult to concretize abstract ideas into positive action items.

I think it is a needed book. Men don't know, many times, what it really means to be a man. And from this, women don't really know what it means to be a woman. We need to help each other find our identities in Christ, so that we can m
Clare Cannon
A direct, energetic call to young men to meet God and discover the purpose of their lives. It's about developing a relationship with God, learning to pray and meditate on Scripture, learning to repent when needed, developing strength of character, learning how to love, learning wisdom, learning to be holy wherever one is, learning to be pure in heart, learning to be of service, and much more. He offers excellent, engaging advice, and in spite of the title, it's relevant for girls too. Reviewed f ...more
While the writing style is not to my liking, colloquial and conversational to the point of a fault--chatty, if you will. However, many men who are less picky than I am will profit greatly from this book, in particular the very sort of man for whom it is written. In that sense, then, the book is entirely successful, accomplishing what it intends to. It is one big collar-shaking, which everyone needs once in awhile. We should be grateful for priests like Fr. Richards.
Denise Y.
From a wife/mother's perspective...a great read that not only aids me in understanding my husband and his calling better and a great prayer tool in helping my boys grow into men of God but also helps me in my relationship with Jesus. I enjoyed Fr. Larry's direct approach. His colloquial style makes for a comfortable read, but the meanings are much deeper and greater, inviting you to be a clearer image of God! Thanks, Fr. Larry Richards.
Pat Murray
A good book for someone looking for spiritual direction in their life. He uses this in his personal life and explains to the reader how to make it work in their own. I have started incorporating this book into my daily life. Change is never easy, but you have to start with an effort to try and make that change. If you are not finding fulfillment in your life I highly recommend this book for your consideration.
This is a great book that really challenges you to be a better Christian man. Father Larry Richards is funny and down to earth guy, and he offers practical advice that all men can relate to. There are also action items and discussion questions at the end of each chapter that I found useful. I would recommend this book to all Christian men who are seeking to grow in their faith.
Trae Johnson
I appreciated some of Fr. Richards' insights and elucidations on the characteristics and habits associated with manhood. There were some good challenges, and a particularly helpful checklist in the back to help men begin to order and achieve manhood. All in all a good book, and one that I would recommend other men to read.
Gentlemen, if you're looking for someone to tell it like it is and challenge you to be a real man, Fr. Larry is your guy. If you're just looking for warm fuzzies and someone to make you feel like the status quo is just peachy, go read some Joyce Rupp... or perhaps a selection from Oprah's Book Club.
A must read for every Catholic man who wants to find his true purpose and direction in life. Fr. Richard surely doesn't water-down anything but makes sure to tell it as it is about being a godly man. Any man who doesn't like reading might not be able to put this one down.
Emerson John Tiu Ng
Looking for a book that instruct you how to be a Man... this is a perfect book for you. Fr. Larry Richards discusses different aspects how we stand up and be the man God created us to be... forget other self help book... this is the one.
4.5 I really liked the book...I just don't want to contribute to star inflation.

"Holiness is a by-product of love - love of God and love of neighbor.

Holiness is not something you do, it's who you are for God."
This book is written with men in mind, but it is so much like Fr. Larry Richards' missions, women can learn, too. Fr. Larry lays out the truth. I'd give it more than 5 stars.
Fr. Larry Richards hits the nail right on the head with this book. Not only does he tell it like it is, but be careful - if you try to make excuses for your bad conduct, he just might hit more than just the nail on the might be your head he hits!

Fr. Richards has absolutely no toleration for men who make excuses for their bad ways and try to shift blame on others, especially on their parents. As he puts its, we all come from dysfunctional families.

His encouragement to men is to know tha
Bill Breen
Be a man-- of GOD!! This book will help you in your spiritual journey. READ THIS BOOK! You will be blessed.
Gregg Bissot
Good read. If you are used to hearing him talk it is just like that, funny some and in your face.
Kirk Newland
A great book to wake men up to the need to be a disciple of Christ
Excellent and well-written. Doesn't pull any punches.
a hard hitting book. Fr. Larry pulls no punches.
Bruce Slough
Oct 20, 2011 Bruce Slough is currently reading it
Powerful. An inspiration.
Great book!
This is an excellent guide for Catholic men on how to live better lives. Father Larry has a down to Earth writing style, and sounds like a priest you would not want to mess with. What I liked most is that he sounds like he's one of the guys who happens to be a priest.

The book includes anecdotes from his own life and lives of others to illustrate his points and many tasks that men can do to become better Catholic men. He references Scripture in many places where appropriate. I recommend this book
Benjamin Espen
I was ultimately disappointed, both by the author's style, which would be something I could ignore if the content were better, and the complete lack of any actual content relating to masculinity. This is a generic Christian self-help book, not really one for men as men. There is a wealth of such information available now, for example Brett McKay at the Art of Manliness, that would have vastly improved this book.
John Prejean
A Must for Every Catholic Man!

Fr. Larry has a very unique "straight to the point" style that I love. We've used this book in our parish men's group and it has helped us to work on the areas that we need most to Be A Man of God. I Love this book!
A retreat in a book. Inspirational. Includes much from his audio/radio/CD files.
Gregory Szuter
Inspirational. A retreat in written form.
  • Man and Woman He Created Them: A Theology of the Body
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • Prayer for Beginners
  • Rediscovering Catholicism Journeying Toward Our Spiritual North Star
  • Light of the World: The Pope, the Church, and the Sign of the Times - A Conversation with Peter Seewald
  • If You Really Loved Me: 101 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity
  • A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God's Covenant Love in Scripture
  • Ten Prayers God Always Says Yes To: Divine Answers to Life's Most Difficult Problems
  • Good News About Sex & Marriage: Answers to Your Honest Questions about Catholic Teaching
  • The Way
  • Arise from Darkness: What to Do When Life Doesn't Make Sense
  • The Shadow of His Wings
  • 33 Days to Morning Glory
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • Confessions of a Mega Church Pastor: How I Discovered the Hidden Treasures of the Catholic Church
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
A gifted and captivating speaker, preacher, retreat master and author, Father Larry Richards holds the answer to some of life’s most profound questions. He speaks from experience as a pastor of an inner city parish, a high school chaplain, a counselor and evangelist. Fr. Larry Richards has directed hundreds of Retreats, Parish Missions and Conferences for young and old alike. His inspirational tal ...more
More about Larry Richards...

“My good friend Danny Abramowicz loves to tell men at men’s conferences: “Men, your kids will always love their mother, but they want to become just like you!” If we are not holy ourselves, then our families will not be holy. It is that simple. God is going to speak to men, women, and children, but He is speaking especially to men to help us be His very image.
You are the sacrament of Fatherhood to your children just like St. Joseph was the sacrament of Fatherhood to Jesus. Just as God used St. Joseph to form Jesus Christ in His humanity, so too does He want to use you to form your children. So I would encourage you before you read any further to stop and ask St. Joseph for his intercession for you so you can grow in holiness.”
“only way you can prove you love God, and know this, gentlemen, is to obey Him. Period!” 0 likes