Billion Dollar Game

Billion Dollar Game

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A fascinating portrait of the National Football League, the Super Bowl, and all the position players who come together to create the biggest cultural phenomenon in American sports.
Think the Super Bowl is only about two teams of titans clashing on the field? Think again. The Super Bowl is about fans, hundreds of millions of fans. It's about money, more money than the GDP o...more
Published January 6th 2009 by Knopf Doubleday Publishing Group (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Billion Dollar Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Billion Dollar Game

Ronald Wise
This book certainly conveys well the upwardly spiraling expectations of everyone involved with the hype and hoopla of Super Bowls. The author followed the years of preparation for Super Bowl XLII in the Phoenix area, including the concerns and efforts of the host city organizers, the FOX television crew, the Playboy party crew, the ad agencies, and the halftime show producers.

St. John provides some interesting historical Super Bowl facts and debunks some commonly held beliefs concerning Super Bo...more
Marc Pongpamorn
I really wanted to like this book because of the author's depth of knowledge but I have to give it only 3 stars as he didnt write with the average sports fan in mind (me!). For example, he talks way too much about architecture and broadcasting and too little on the Super Bowl. He's too smart and intellectual for sports fans. Overall, it's a good book. I learned a few things about the Super Bowl and now have a better appreciation for camera angles. I never thought Id learned something from a spor...more
Grace
This book only gets three stars because I thought it might be more in depth than it was. Of course, how in depth can you get about the Super Bowl? Very, very little of the book talked about the game itself (Super Bowl 42), but a lot about what it takes to make it all happen. I really like football, college more than NFL, but the amount of money, time and energy going in to just this one game was staggering and a little depressing. Made me ponder our priorities. But I still like football.
Katie
Interesting read all about the Super Bowl. But not just about the game; he focused equally on the game plus "the show" and "the celebration," so you get to read a lot about the huge Super Bowl parties as well as the behind-the-scenes camera crew details that go into filming and producing the game that is watched by so many millions (billion?) people worldwide.
Nathan
There's a handful of enjoyable facts, but they're scattered throughout a boring and disjointed narrative. As well, critics and cynics might decry the sheer extravagance that goes into a mere football game. This book reports the extravagance well, but does little to convince that this actually is more than a mere football game.
John
Weak sauce. A third of the book is taken up spending time on how the Playboy party is set up. Also, author has weak command of the English language.
Jocelyn
May 20, 2009 Jocelyn rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: football fans
Shelves: sports, non-fiction
Mishmash of bits about the Super Bowl from the Playboy party to how the camera crew works. It's pretty eh.
Jim
A very interesting look at what goes on behind the scenes before during and after a Super Bowl.
Bryan Cross
So much more to this game than anyone realizes!
Max
Max added it
May 27, 2014
Scott Williams
Scott Williams marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Rachel Leigh Smith
Rachel Leigh Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Johnrylelawsoniii
Johnrylelawsoniii marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2013
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Exapno Mapcase
Exapno Mapcase marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2012
Jason Fraggos
Jason Fraggos marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Clapton's Guitar: Watching Wayne Henderson Build the Perfect Instrument Newton's Football: The Science Behind America's Game Bicycling For Dummies (For Dummies (Computer/Tech)) Newton's Football: The Science Behind America's Game Made to Be Broken: The 50 Greatest Records and Streaks in Sports History