Start by marking “Women Who Eat: A New Generation on the Glory of Food” as Want to Read:
Women Who Eat: A New Generation on the Glory of Food

Women Who Eat: A New Generation on the Glory of Food

Move over, Betty Crocker. Women are reclaiming their pots and pans, but it's a new era in the kitchen. Today’s generation of women is putting a fresh spin on the "joy of cooking" — and eating and entertaining. Women both in and out of the culinary profession share their stories about the many ways food shapes and enhances their lives. New York Times columnist Amanda Hesser ...more
Published October 28th 2003 by Seal Press (first published October 7th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Women Who Eat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Who Eat

Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This book has twenty-nine pieces written by different authors, covering all kinds of delightful ways of enjoying food and drink. The collection was meant to counteract all the diets and food trends and forbidden foods and celebrate women who love to cook and eat. Can't beat that!
Some of the pieces even have a recipe or two at the end---everything from your basic martini to baklava.

I especially enjoyed "Big Night (or Wound a Sicilian, Pay Through the Mouth)," about a Sicilian restaurateur who br
Jessica
Jul 09, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: food lovers
Yay! A book celebrating women and food...."Women Who Eat" is a collection of about 30 essays written by women about one of my favorite topics: FOOD. The purpose of this books is to allow women to celebrate food and eating instead of having to dwell on diets or being the happy housewife (i.e. being duty-bound to cook a meal).
The writers in this collection have a whole range of culinary experience...some are professional chefs, other's are untrained at-home cooks...and
some women simply recall chi
May 17, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it
A really good anthology with many high points and a predictable low point in Michelle Tea's contribution. A nice blend of personal essays that had were at heart celebratory, though not light or puff pieces by any means. Cheryl Strayed's "Making Tapioca" was taut and well-crafted, and Pooja Makjahani's "School Lunch" made me eager to read more of her work. Even the weird "eating my placenta" story wasn't just novelty or squick-inducing; it had a lot of heart and a bold confrontation with its subj ...more
Kristen Northrup
Aug 07, 2008 Kristen Northrup rated it really liked it
Despite the marketing, the fact it's Seal Press, and the contributors, this is just food writing by women. Only one piece had anything to do with gender issues. It's good food writing, but nothing new. My favorite was Rachel Fudge's unexpectedly warm piece on the cocktail hour. Theresa Lust's piece on sauerkraut didn't grab me as much but her general writing was the most impressive. One contributor was a good enough writer but not a very nice person. The rest was a nice mix of family and travel ...more
Alyce
Sep 08, 2011 Alyce rated it liked it
Mediocre collection. Would have given this 1 star were it not for Terez Rose's "Lessons from Gabon"; Lisa Jervis's "Baking Boot Camp"; Karen Eng's "Paddington's Marmalade, Jo's Apples"' and Pooja Makhijani's "School Lunch".
Maija
Dec 31, 2015 Maija rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook, 2015
This was a second time through, but never made it to my Goodreads list. It's a book I own, so picked up when I was in between good library reads. Like any compilation, some chapters/writers are more enjoyable than others, but this scratched my itch for food literature.
Brenna
Jan 09, 2016 Brenna rated it it was ok
Most of these stories were just not my fancy, especially the pregnant women stories. With the placenta and breast milk (*Throws up*). No.

I think my fav story was with the sisters visiting Italy and having to eat for so many hours, just to not be rude. The food sounded amazing.
Kiesha Garrison
Apr 07, 2013 Kiesha Garrison rated it really liked it
This book changed the way I fry eggs ;-)
Patricia
Jun 18, 2008 Patricia rated it really liked it
Recommended to Patricia by: Larissa (thanks!)
Shelves: food
"Your hands, having left the computer keyboard or steering wheel, are put to use with their much more primal functions, as tools. You must use your senses. And while many daily projects are left with loose ends, a meal is not. It has a beginning, middle, and end." That's Amanda Hesser describing the joys of preparing a simple, classic meal in an essay that's like good poetry or great yoga session. There were lots of other essays to love, Camille Cusmano is hilarious and appetizing on the tasty r ...more
Niya
Jun 15, 2013 Niya rated it liked it
Given the theme, finding commonalities between the stories should be simple, but the tone of the texts seem disjointed at best. In large part because the collection isn't just about women who eat, as one would assume. It's about women who cook, either professionally, or domestically. It's about women who inherited recipes and traditions, who transgressed them, or who were forced to find their own. While none of this is necessarily a bad thing - certainly the stories are compelling and the recipe ...more
Torie
May 16, 2007 Torie rated it liked it
I found this book when I was perusing the 641's (Technology: Food and Drink) at the library. I love reading about food in general: cookbooks, historical writing, food magazines, food memoirs. This falls into that last category and is a collection of essays by different women writers. Some of it is boring and pretentious, and some of it is great. My favorite so far is an elegant telling of a previously vegetarian woman's experience eating her freshly-expelled placenta with onions and garlic.
Chris Love
Oct 07, 2009 Chris Love rated it it was amazing
This book is collection of short stories based on women and their positive experiences with food. If you are in a reading rut, this is a quick way to plug back into enjoyable reading. Like some writer, I think Deborah Madison (yes the author to that famous vegetarian cookbook), says it's like a box of chocolates, short and sweet.
Krista
Jan 14, 2010 Krista rated it it was amazing
This book is really fascinating - it is a whole genealogy of women's relationships with food, but instead of being about the most recent fad diet or how little ice cream one can have and lose inches off one's thighs, it is a celebration of food in community, in families, and in culture. I reread it about once a year and it constantly challenges me.
Jeannette
Jun 13, 2010 Jeannette rated it liked it
I was heading on holiday, wanted a nice fluffy book, so I took a friend's advice and read this. Short stories by women about food. Had me craving a crispy & greasy grilled cheese by the end which is never a bad thing.
Sherri
Jan 20, 2014 Sherri rated it really liked it
I enjoyed how wide-ranging these essays were. It was fun to get a peek into how other women see and enjoy food and cooking. Some of the essays made me think twice about my own relationship with food, a subject that never fails to fascinate me.
Caitlin
Feb 12, 2008 Caitlin added it
Shelves: done-reading
How can you not love a book celebrating women and food? A collection of short stories, reflections, by women on food. Some of them are really sweet. And the cover photo is amazing. Something good for a trip, easy to read a little at a time.
stephanie robertson
Jul 22, 2008 stephanie robertson rated it it was amazing
delicious! a collection of essays wirtten by various accclaimed and lesser known women authors that proclaims to be "a new gneration on the glory of food." i loved it. it was really well written from start to finish and infinitely interesting to a foodie wannabe like me.
Christina
Dec 07, 2007 Christina rated it really liked it
This book is supposedly about food, but its much more about memory and coming-of-age. Anyone who has trouble mastering rice, or misses eating macaroni and cheese without feeling guilty will appreciate this collection of stories.
Ashley
Jul 25, 2011 Ashley rated it liked it
A fun quick read that's good for a vacation or a road trip.
Kyla
May 23, 2010 Kyla rated it liked it
I would take this on holiday. Women eat food and talk about it. Except I skipped the Michelle Tea, like I always do.
Alise
Nov 01, 2007 Alise rated it liked it
A woman writes about eating her own placenta. Yowza.
Jenny
Sep 03, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it
So refreshing! Women writing about food with no apology. This has a number of stories about food adventures, like baking boot camp, Peace Corps/African experiments, and my favorite-placenta.
Sharon Archer
Oct 15, 2013 Sharon Archer rated it really liked it
As evidenced by this collection of essays, women have a very complicated history with food!
Vasare
Oct 16, 2011 Vasare rated it really liked it
Very interesting. Nearly a year later, the placenta story has stuck with me the most due to it's appalling (to me) nature.
Beka
Feb 09, 2012 Beka rated it it was ok
Shelves: food-writing
Not as interesting as I'd hoped.
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Mar 28, 2013
Rosie Hanneke
Rosie Hanneke rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2013
Kate Cubitt
Kate Cubitt rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2016
Elizabeth Drown
Elizabeth Drown rated it it was amazing
Jun 21, 2017
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Apr 06, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Fork It Over: The Intrepid Adventures of a Professional Eater
  • Talking with My Mouth Full: Crab Cakes, Bundt Cakes, and Other Kitchen Stories
  • Are You Really Going to Eat That?: Reflections of a Culinary Thrill Seeker
  • Eating My Words: An Appetite for Life
  • Feeding a Yen: Savoring Local Specialties, from Kansas City to Cuzco
  • Eat, Memory: Great Writers at the Table: A Collection of Essays from the New York Times
  • American Food Writing: An Anthology: With Classic Recipes
  • Best Food Writing 2011
  • Something from the Oven: Reinventing Dinner in 1950s America
  • It's So You: 35 Women Write About Personal Expression Through Fashion and Style
  • The Bastard on the Couch: 27 Men Try Really Hard to Explain Their Feelings About Love, Loss, Fatherhood, and Freedom
  • From Hardtack to Homefries: An Uncommon History of American Cooks and Meals
  • Man with a Pan
  • American Pie: Slices of Life (and Pie) from America's Back Roads
  • Feed Me!: Writers Dish About Food, Eating, Weight, and Body Image
  • Monsoon Diary: A Memoir with Recipes
  • Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant : Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone
  • Hidden Kitchens: Stories, Recipes, and More from NPR's The Kitchen Sisters