Start by marking “Haunted and Bewitched Ireland” as Want to Read:
Haunted and Bewitched Ireland

Haunted and Bewitched Ireland

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  12 ratings  ·  2 reviews

Haunted and Bewitched Ireland contains twenty-one classic tales of Irish ghosts and witches that reveal as much about the complex cultural history of the land as about the universal ability of otherworldy phenomena to capture the imagination. Part one focuses on the stories of ghosts, wraiths, spirits, and spectres who visit the living, from County Limerick to County Down.
Published August 25th 2008 by Fall River Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Haunted and Bewitched Ireland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Haunted and Bewitched Ireland

Katarina
I started reading this as a sort of throw-back to my 6th grade reading habits, when I discovered folk tales. Irish folktales are often classified as ghost stories, which I generally avoid, but I enjoyed them anyway.

I thought the tone of the first part was rather interesting-- it's a non-fiction setup, but stories about ghosts and wraiths tend to read as fiction. Not to knock non-fiction, but it also tends to be more dry, so I enjoyed the ghosts and wraiths a lot: they're interesting, and it is
Athena
I will start with the fact that I am not a fan of short stories; no matter what, all the stories seem to blend together only there are different names and some minor changes but ultimately the story remains the same, which makes for a redundant book.

The premise of the book however I did like; haunted castles, ghosts, witches and other creatures of Irish folklore.

I do have a few favorites from the book:

The Arny Woman; A Night at the Ram's Horn; The Touch of the Dead; and Alexander Colville, The
Lyn Mckenzie
Lyn Mckenzie marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Rowan
Rowan added it
Jan 11, 2015
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Sheena Baker
Sheena Baker marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Merete Aasen
Merete Aasen marked it as to-read
May 20, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
Erin
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Cody Yerden
Cody Yerden marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2013
Kate Corlandi
Kate Corlandi marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
May 19, 2013
Terri Warne
Terri Warne marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2012
Rain
Rain marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2012
Jeremy Fulton
Jeremy Fulton marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2012
Kayleen
Kayleen marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2011
Ashley
Ashley added it
Sep 21, 2011
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2011
119378
BOB CURRAN is an educational psychologist in Coleraine University. His interests are broad-ranging but are focused especially on history and story. He has written several books, including The Field Guide to Irish Fairies, The Wolfhound Guide to the Shamrock, Creatures of Celtic Myth, The Truth about the Leprechaun.
More about Bob Curran...
Encyclopedia of the Undead: A Field Guide to Creatures That Cannot Rest in Peace Vampires: A Field Guide to the Creatures That Stalk the Night Zombies: A Field Guide to the Walking Dead Werewolves: A Field Guide to Shapeshifters, Lycanthropes, and Man-Beasts Lost Lands, Forgotten Realms: Sunken Continents, Vanished Cities, and the Kingdoms That History Misplaced