Start by marking “Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul” as Want to Read:
Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul

Entering the Castle: An Inner Path to God and Your Soul

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  909 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Internationally renowned motivational teacher, spiritual instructor, and popular theologian Caroline Myss has created a transcendent work of unique insight and revelation in Entering the Castle. This exciting new teaching of contemporary mysticism is also a brilliant synthesis of the psychology of consciousness and of Eastern and Western mystical traditions. Myss provides...more
Published March 6th 2007 by Atria Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Entering the Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Entering the Castle

Laurie Hanan
Definitely tops all of her other books, at least for me. In fact, this may be the best book I have ever read, as far as the effect it had on me. My favorite quote: "It takes great courage to look for God. It takes far greater courage to find God." When you truly find God, you will understand the meaning of this quote. To invite God to take over your life is to invoke Divine Chaos into your life. If you are not ready for this type of spiritual upheaval, don't enter the Castle.

I was excited when...more
Kyra
Caroline Myss, author of such books as Anatomy of Spirit and Why People Don't Heal, brings us a very different part of the metaphysical world. For this book, she discusses the work of Theresa of Avila, with whom she alleges she communicated with while she was writing the book. Dubious as it may sound, it is all the rage within the New Age community right now with Esther and Jerry Hicks' Abraham making communicating with the nonphysical all the more popular (though do not be mistaken. Myss does n...more
Kimberly Cain
I listened to the audio book, then purchased the print version to keep as a reference. Myss goes to the heart of what I believe to be the most important issue faced by human beings in our quest for happiness & healing - & that is forgiveness.

This is very deep stuff. I've said elsewhere that Myss is hard core. She makes no apologies for the fact that she has little regard for whiners! I find it humorous & at the same time, I appreciate her for it. I think this can be very helpful to t...more
Stacey Couch
This book absolutely changed my life and continues to every day. I reference it every morning and continue to memorize prayers inside to help me embrace the power of prayer in this new, revolutionary way that Caroline Myss presents. Over the course of the 6 months I spent traveling through the rooms in this book I experienced a spiritual transformation unlike any other in my life. I can't imagine there are many people out there that would be able to endure through the entire process this book pr...more
Christy
Jan 23, 2011 Christy marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Oliver DeMille say this about this book and I wanted to take note of it for when I read it:

"This path to the divine is similar to Joseph Campbell's classic Path of the Hero, but with powerful differences, nuances, twists and turns. It is very different than the success path taught by school counselors and career guidance experts. Those familiar with Campbell will find it familiar but brand new; and those who haven't read Campbell will likely find the discovery of this path an epiphany.

My favori...more
David Teachout
St. Teresa was declared to have been a doctor of the Catholic church, as such her words were considered on par with doctrine. For someone to look upon her work and declare it to be mystical in the sense of a modern declaration of one's union with the cosmos would be to treat such with nothing short of intellectual dishonesty and for no other purpose than personal self-deluded promotion. Clearly Myss has no problem with this, nor does she have any issue with misrepresenting so many others' though...more
Susan
Apr 07, 2007 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who are searching for inner connections
See my discussion.
1st section
What humility Is

graciousness
looking in the mirror to see/accept ourselves as we truly are
personal power

groveling
"poor me"
being lesser than
martyrdom
accepting others'mistaken opinions of us
fear
shrinking away from joy
timidity, mousiness, and giving up
having nothing to give
inconfidence/inequality/smalln...more
Beth E
Fantastic visualization for the process of coming clean with your own thoughts, your own needs, etc in order to be ready for the journey ahead: a channel for Grace in this world. The need for lots of personal work is a continuing and honest theme supported by many of the world faiths. And as always, Caroline does a great job of holding your feet to the fire, of making you own what is yours, of not letting you off easy, and not telling you this will be an easy process. But the reward is beautiful...more
Jme
If you prefer to stay unconscious, do not pick up this book. The spiritual language alone will not just rustle your soul gently out of a slumber, it will roar it to life in a way from which there is no return.

To accept the challenge of becoming a modern mystic is compelling, frightening, and once accepted, there is no way back--none-only cognitive and spiritual dissonance.
Read this one with someone you love and people who are seeking an authentic life.
Hilda
After having read The Interior Castle by St.Teresa de Avila I can say that I really loved this book! It helped me to better understand the Castle, and the rooms of the soul that St. Teresa spoke of in her book. I loved how this book gave you what was referred to as "soul work" in each of the rooms, and I look forward to exploring these rooms again and again. I will keep this book on my "keeper" shelf for many more revisits.

Favorite passage from book:

Think of your life as it is now. what would...more
Carrie
This is an awesome book but it needs to be read with conviction ;-) It requires commitment, hard work and sincerity to make it through.
Susan
Jul 17, 2011 Susan is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Working my way through this book. Go back to the beginning often and there is a different level to what you have read before.
Mark
It takes 100 pages before you enter the first mansion. Some of the material in the beginning is important, but I'm sorry, I just could not connect with the author's own personal experiences. Some of them just sounded to "new age" to me. Superficial is the word that comes to mind although I do not want to to discredit the author's experiences.[return][return]The author brings up a good point about the need for deeply spiritual people in the world. The author uses the term "monks without monasteri...more
Don Weidinger
belongs to all traditions, cosmic mystic, 7rooms levels, Merton, John of Cross, cannot get to soul via intellect, self indulgence is narcissism, self vs soul, true path to humility castle as soul, be humble and brave, intuitive vs reason, power of prayerful spirits, 1st step purification via elimination reptiles and more more, how to be channel for grace via humility, one with soul, fear of humiliation, with truth may be chaos and unfamiliar space with God, 2nd is discernment called to be contai...more
Elyse
I have many thoughts about "Entering The Castle". I could write a book about this book! lol

I respect Carolyn Myss. --- However--I think she is 'off' the mark in her approach with this topic - in the 2nd half of her book. She is 'not' a therapist. Myss asks 'too much' of the reader --- being too serious about her own topic/style in which things must be done *devoted* to discover your soul...
--too many rules about 'how-to-do' each room in the Castle. Who voted Myss Queen on Mystic teachings? (She'...more
Francine
I read this after I re-read Interior Castle by St. Teresa of Avila. I need to thank my yoga instructor, again, for recommending Myss to me.

Myss (pronounced Mace) takes the classic Interior Castle apart for the reader, discusses each part thoroughly and puts it back together. In addition, she discusses the influences upon the great saint as well as those she influenced. You may well come away with additional books to explore.

If you are exploring your spiritual life for the first time or are seeki...more
Megan
I was excited to read this book, but I'm giving up on it half way through. The author's style in this book isn't helpful to me. She comes across as angry, bitter and not compassionate. Several times she's told the audience to "get over it." She may be right, but this approach is unlikely to help the average person. I'm very disappointed as I've read many of her other books and enjoyed them. I will not be finishing this one.
Fusun Dulger charles
Life changing advice and aspect of life. This book is like a key opening a big door to self discovery.
Ms. Myss is a great teacher.
Elizabeth Olson
Only Caroline Myss could have written this elegant, fierce, and practical guide to exploring St. Teresa of Avila's 'Interior Castle.' Myss combines intellect and deep scholarly research with clear and spirit-filled prose to give students unfamiliar with St. Teresa enough background for context, then takes them through exercises and meditations through the rooms of the Castle in order to meet and work with their soul. The result is rich and will reward those who choose to spend time working throu...more
Meredith
I have this book on CD and listened to instead of reading it. St. Teresa of Avila was an amazing mystic. Her way of describing the intricacies of the castle of the inner world are very advanced considering the time period she was writing in, the inquisition (I believe). She is someone Caroline Myss relates to and connected with on a deep level and the insight she shares in this book of Teresa's ideas are very helpful to those wanting to cultivate Sacredness in their life.
Michael Graber
Using Teresa of Avila's Interior Castle as a guide, Entering the Castle is a both a field guide and workbook for the most intense and rigorous seekers. Casual readers will throw this book away, as its intent is not to entertain, but to enlighten. If having soul stamina and being a mystic without a monastery are your life goals, enter the castle. Otherwise, go watch TV. This is an amazingly thorough guide into the interior life and its barriers.
Cliff
Caroline really knows her stuff. I loved her 'tough' approach, her insights, her humility when she states that she herself has not had the mystic "One-ness" experience. I just admire her.

She's right on target in 99% of what she says, (IMO). Seeking truth *is* seeking God, and the journey is hard. Finding God is much harder. Following God is the ultimate. But on the path, God rewards as He will, and it is more than sufficient.

Bonnie Ricica
"Entering The Castle" guides the reader into a deeper connection to their own soul and divinity. I found Caroline Myss clear in her understanding of Teresa of Avila's writings. Some parts are challenging for me to read, but I know I will go back to it several times. It is not a book everyone will enjoy or find beneficial.
Karen
I ended up scanning most of this book. It seems overly complicated. There are some good concepts, but she takes so long to describe them that I got bored. I think it might be a good introductory book, but a lot of the ideas were so well known to me that I wasn't really into it.
Elena Salazar
...lo pongo en stand by...es una sintesis mas bien de las tradiciones Occidentales con algunas menciones a las Orientales. La verdad no es para mi. No quiero decir con esto que a otras personas les llegue a gustar mucho.
Glen Tucker
Apr 28, 2008 Glen Tucker rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Glen by: Based on previous books by Caroline Myss
Shelves: spiritual-growth
This is a book full of subtle beauty and a must have for those sincere and humble in their quest for inner beauty.
Soulful reading and especially rewarding for anyone who has had a passing interest in St Theresa of Avila
Bridgett
Covers a lot of typical ideas about improving your relationship with divinity and self-discovery. Nothing earth-shattering or new, but nicely put together and made me rethink of how I live my life in some ways.
Aggie
A friend had recommended this to me but I seem to be in a different place than when I read Myss' work 20 years ago.... didn't really enjoy it. Didn't make me feel like it was anything that I was drawn to
Joan
This is a complex methodology of how to pray. Although a group of friends wanted to use this as a guide for study, we got bogged down and gave up. I may never finish it.
Mkrinsky
This was thought provoking but really difficult to read quickly. In fact I took 10 months to read through it. I am sure that I will read parts or all of it someday again.
Myss' Entering the Castle 2 25 Apr 12, 2014 01:38PM
  • The Psychic Pathway: A Workbook for Reawakening the Voice of Your Soul
  • Everyday Grace: Having Hope, Finding Forgiveness And Making Miracles
  • Dark Nights of the Soul: A Guide to Finding Your Way Through Life's Ordeals
  • Positive Energy: 10 Extraordinary Prescriptions for Transforming Fatigue, Stress, and Fear into Vibrance, Strength, and Love
  • The Third Jesus: The Christ We Cannot Ignore
  • Archangels and Ascended Masters
  • Bringers of the Dawn: Teachings from the Pleiadians
  • Personal Power through Awareness: A Guidebook for Sensitive People
  • Animal Spirit Guides: An Easy-to-Use Handbook for Identifying and Understanding Your Power Animals and Animal Spirit Helpers
  • Your Immortal Reality: How to Break the Cycle of Birth and Death
  • The God Code
  • There's a Spiritual Solution to Every Problem
  • Mending the Past and Healing the Future with Soul Retrieval
  • Living in the Light: A Guide to Personal and Planetary Transformation
  • Wheels of Life: A User's Guide to the Chakra System
Caroline Myss was born on December 2, 1952 in Chicago, and grew up with her parents, and two brothers, one elder and one younger, in the Melrose Park, Illinois neighbourhood near Chicago. Caroline was raised a Catholic, and attended the Mother Guerin High School, River Grove, Illinois, run by the Sisters of Providence of Saint Mary-of-the-Woods. She completed her Bachelor of Arts degree in journal...more
More about Caroline Myss...
Anatomy of the Spirit: The Seven Stages of Power and Healing Sacred Contracts: Awakening Your Divine Potential Why People Don't Heal and How They Can: A Practical Programme for Healing Body, Mind and Spirit Invisible Acts of Power: Channeling Grace in Your Everyday Life Energy Anatomy [With Study Guide]

“Intention without discipline is useless.” 3 likes