Start by marking “Bird Watching: On Playing and Coaching the Game I Love” as Want to Read:
Bird Watching: On Playing and Coaching the Game I Love

Bird Watching: On Playing and Coaching the Game I Love

Larry Bird captured the imagination and admiration of basketball fans throughout his thirteen-year career with the Boston Celtics with his trademark style of creative, intelligent, exciting, and hard-nosed play. And then, last year in his rookie season as head coach of the Indiana Pacers, he infused the team with these same qualities -- and the results were remarkable. He ...more
Published December 14th 1999 by Grand Central Publishing (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Bird Watching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bird Watching

Gboyer
Dec 09, 2014 Gboyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bird Watching
The book I read was Bird Watching, written by Larry Bird with Jackie MacMullan. The book is about how Larry Bird played and coached the game he loved. The theme of this book is unfailing determination. Larry Bird said,”I've got a theory that if you give 100% all of the time, somehow things will work out in the end.” Larry Bird fought through many injuries, and even though he had to sit out some games, the next day he would give one hundred and ten percent. Larry Bird is known for h
Keegan 1Tran
One of the strategies I used was predicting. I predicted that Larry Bird would go to work for the Indiana Pacers after his final season with the Boston Celtics. He stated " I had been working in Boston's front office for three years at that point, and I was getting more and more frustrated, because Paul Gaston, the owner, and my old teammate M. L. Carr, who was the general manager, would ask my advice about certain personnel moves, then turn around and do whatever they wanted." (pg 41)

The second
19oweich
Apr 08, 2015 19oweich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Larry Bird's memoir "Bird Watching" covers the years of Larry Bird's retirement and coaching career, but it also has some flashbacks to times when he was a player. Larry Bird is well known for being a legendary player, a good coach, and a great family man. It includes the 1992 Olympics, His life back in French Lick Indiana, the 1999 playoff debacle, and some important influences and role models in his life. I feel like he could have covered more on his playing career because that is what people ...more
Killian Taylor
I thought that the story was kind of bland. Larry was very descriptive in telling his story. to me it was very repetitive. The basic concept of it was that he enjoyed his coaching career and he had medical problems and that is what forced his to retire from being a pro basketball player.

Some topics that i felt that he lacked explaining was his playing career. What most everyone remembers him for is hi playing career with the Boston Celtics. All he talked about was why he retired. I feel like if
Arthur
Jan 04, 2012 Arthur rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book that really explained who Larry Bird was as a person and his difficulties with coaching and injuries. I liked the way he gave his perspective on things and how he had such a close bond with his teammates. Through and through this book was very good and the subject was very good.
Chris
Mar 26, 2008 Chris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great follow-up to "Drive", Larry takes us into the days following his retirement, and through his coaching journey. Again, well worth the read for basketball fans, but a definite must-read for fans of one of the greatest players in NBA history.
Mirageboys
Jul 02, 2007 Mirageboys rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves the Boston Celtics
Loved reading about all of the personalities and behind the scenes for both the Indiana Pacers and Boston Celtics, as well as his memories of competing in the Olympics. If you love the NBA, Larry Bird or the Boston Celtics -- this is a must read.
Mike
Jan 14, 2015 Mike rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite Celtics. Written with Jackie MacMullen, one of the great sports journalist out of Boston, this is a must read for any Celtic or Larry Bird fan.

A book about how the game is supposed to be played. By a player who did!
Chad
Sep 22, 2011 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a good book if you like the celtics
Emma
Jan 28, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was interesting to read about how an allstar approached the career of coaching.. I respect Larry Bird
Mike
Feb 10, 2008 Mike rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good look into the NBA, but Larry seems a little pompous.
Adam J.
Larry Bird is one of my favorite players and the Pacers my favorite team. Just not much here I hadn't already read elsewhere.
Jovan Johnson
i love his basketball skills
Chris
Chris rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2008
Shane Dazen
Shane Dazen rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2011
Doc Bruso
Doc Bruso rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2014
Julius Banga-banga
Julius Banga-banga rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2012
Laurens
Laurens rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2016
trevor
trevor rated it liked it
Nov 13, 2012
Wlarue
Wlarue rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2009
Melani Miller
Melani Miller rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Noly
Noly rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2016
Jerry Bolen
Jerry Bolen rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2016
Mark Frongillo
Mark Frongillo rated it did not like it
Jun 30, 2014
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2013
Ben
Ben rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2010
Albert
Albert rated it really liked it
Sep 20, 2012
Earljam
Earljam rated it really liked it
Apr 27, 2014
Edward
Edward rated it really liked it
Jul 31, 2012
Pamela
Pamela rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2008
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Bird watching 1 2 Apr 21, 2016 06:55PM
  • Knight: My Story
  • Let Me Tell You a Story: A Lifetime in the Game
  • Hang Time: Days And Dreams With Michael Jordan
  • When March Went Mad: The Game That Transformed Basketball
  • Second Wind
  • They Call Me Coach
  • When the Garden Was Eden: Clyde, the Captain, Dollar Bill, and the Glory Days of the New York Knicks
  • Showtime: Magic, Kareem, Riley, and the Los Angeles Lakers Dynasty of the 1980s
  • When Nothing Else Matters: Michael Jordan's Last Comeback
  • Underbelly Hoops: Adventures in the CBA - A.K.A. The Crazy Basketball Association
  • Over Time: My Life as a Sportswriter
  • Second Coming: The Strange Odyssey Of Michael Jordan  From Courtside To Home Plate And Back Again
  • Red Love: The Story of an East German Family
  • Unfinished Business: On and Off the Court With the 1990-91 Boston Celtics
  • Playing for Keeps: Michael Jordan and the World He Made
  • Boys Among Men: How the Prep-to-Pro Generation Redefined the NBA and Sparked a Basketball Revolution
  • Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich