Start by marking “The Day Before Midnight” as Want to Read:
The Day Before Midnight

The Day Before Midnight

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  1,248 ratings  ·  40 reviews
Paramilitary terrorists who have taken over a top-secret nuclear complex kidnap Maryland welder Jack Hummel and force him to cut through a half-ton titanium block that conceals the launch button.
Published October 21st 2009 by Bantam (first published January 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Before Midnight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Before Midnight

Checkman
Jan 09, 2014 Checkman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Stephen Hunter, fans of military thrillers
For several years leading up to The Day Before Midnight Stephen Hunter had written some fair, but not outstanding novels. The one constant throughout the early novels was an attention to detail when it came to firearms. However to me the earlier novels felt like Hunter was trying too hard. That he wanted to be "literary" instead of just a novelist of entertaining thrillers.

The Day Before Midnight changed all that. I read it when it was released as a paperback in the late eighties and it blew me
Jonathan Briggs
Stephen Hunter needs to sue somebody's ass. What we have here is a prototype for the TV show "24" (tho this is more like "17," and someone forgot 10 a.m. and 8 p.m. in all the excitement). Each chapter is an hour, and the clock is ticking while the heroes race to avert global catastrophe. In this case, terrorist commandos have taken over a nuclear missile silo in rural Maryland, and a band of scientists, feds, Delta badasses, Vietnam vets and clutzy National Guardsmen try to prevent World War II ...more
Danielle Tremblay
This is "just an airport novel" only in the sense that Die Hard (the first one) was "just another action movie." In other words, you have here a familiar genre and set-up (here, the "countdown to Armageddon") being taken to a peak level by expert craftsmanship.

A large part of the book's success is that it's a fascinating, deeply-researched book that refuses to settle on just technical jargon... or even get by on its tightly-woven, brilliant plotting or technicolor-vivid prose. Instead, Hunter co
Raegan Butcher
Another great read from Stephen Hunter, better known as film critic for the Baltimore Sun. No wonder his novels read like blueprints for excellent screenplays. This one is about insane Russians who take over a nuclear missile silo and the disparate group of character who have to stop them before they start WWIII.
Bob Ryan
I've read a number of Mr. Hunter's books and enjoyed them all. He's developed a great character in Bob Lee Swagger and has several very entertaining books about sniper warfare. I'm also convinced he's solved the JFK assassination in his novel, The Third Bullet.

This book starts a little slow (for the first 20 pages) and then takes off like a rocket, a nuclear rocket, for the next 380. The book is divided into hourly chapters, like the 24 TV show. Each chapter is packed with action, suspense and
Roberto Scarlato
I'm probably the only one who will say this but when it comes to this novel, which I give props to the author for creating suspense, it is just too long and drawn out. I think I was at page 350 when I finally couldn't take it anymore and threw the book at the wall. It is good to build up suspense in a novel but, after reading this one, now I know that there is such a thing as too much suspense. As a writer's gimmick, you have to gradually give little hints and problematic, somewhat inescapable e ...more
Earl Baugh
A book my Dad recommended. One of the few that he recommended. We had been reading Clancy books (I got him started, and he'd read them as he worked Security at the Cape during the midnight shift). Someone gave him this one, and it was one of few that he thought was good enough to pass to me.
Greg
I wasn't sure how this novel would be, knowing that it did not feature Hunter's old friend, Bob Lee Swagger. In the end, it was a fine novel for escapist fiction, pretty much what I want from a novel. Like some other reviewers, I thought it was a bit too long and drawn out. It could have been tightened up a little, but probably not too much. On the other hand, I was unhappy with a few minor dangling threads. For example, I would have liked one last scene reuniting the welder with his kids. Also, ...more
Andrew Cormier
I found this to be an excellent, fast-paced novel with a great set of characters and plot. It held my attention throughout the entire story and I was eager to pick it up each night to see what would happen next. I highly recommend this book.
Scott
I couldn't stop reading this book. My experience with Stephen Hunter before this was limited to his Bob Lee Swagger series, so I wasn't sure what to expect from a book without good ole' Gunny. But whatever expectations I had, Hunter blew them away. The story was masterfully woven together from the different characters' points of view, and all of those stories contributed perfectly to the whole. The characters were likable, the pace was good... I just can't say enough good things about this book. ...more
Mike H
Excellent race against time thriller. Quite a bit of killing so be ready..... Hunter is a top story teller.
Todd Stanley
The first 100 or so pages of the book started off very slow. If you can get past that, it gets much better quickly.
Jon
I always like this book. More for the scenario and descriptions of South Mountain that for any brilliance of the prose. It's an interesting story set during the cold war, and doesn't reach real far out for technology or justification. Most of the characters are shallow-ish, but they don't all need to be "character of ultimate depth" for you to enjoy the read.
David Lucero
This page-turning, action-packed novel was an inspiration for me to write THE SANDMAN, my first novel. The whole story takes place in one day, with realistic action scenes, tongue-in-cheek writing, and characters that leave you cheering, and jeering. I read this book in three days! And have since read it twice. Definitely one of Stephen Hunter's best!
Ann
Nuclear thriller. Once again the professionals outsmart themselves and real people save the day. I like Hunter's writing style. The characters jump off the page. I not only can see them and hear the pitch of their voice, but I can understand their motivation, almost feel their emotions. Good story, too. A real page turner.
Martha
Awesome. Perfect beach reading: Brilliant plotting, effortless characterization, and possibly the most head-spinning use of parallel narrative ever deployed. There are times when I suspect there's really nothing better than very, very good genre fiction, and Hunter's book strongly suggest that's true.
Andrew
I remember reading this book as a child and really liking it. Fast paced, with likable characters and gripping action, I read this book in a day during the summer. But, who knows? I was just a dumb kid, this book probably sucks.
Steve B. Davis
This one keep me turning pages. Could not put this military/terrorist thriller down. If you like action and adventure this is one you have to read. Hunter knows his weapons and military facts down cold.
Nitin
A departure from Hunter's usual oeuvre of sniper-lore, this is a book with a fairly convincing Doomsday scenario and some epic Special Forces assault craft. Worth a read for Hunter fans.
Richard
This was my first Stephen Hunter "thriller" and I really enjoyed it. I kept thinking I was reading an action movie. I rate 3.7, and will read some of his others.
Revjimmyo
Great plot, well executed, and initially complicated. As the story unfolds, the outcome becomes generally predictable, but with many unexpected twists.
Steve
If you like the TV show 24, you will like this book. Each chapter is an hour in the day where a military installation is raided by evil forces.
Chuck
A group of Russian professional soldiers take over a nuclear ICBM site in
Maryland with the intent of launching it at Moscow. Can we stop them?
David Dalton
Very well written thriller. I read this years ago but I remember enjoying the read and looking for more Stephen Hunter thrillers.
Mark
A real page turner, couldn't put it down. Sacrificed some sleep a few nights just to get to the next chapter.
Matthew Alexander
3 stars speaks for itself. But other books by him have been awesome...
John
Dec 29, 2010 John rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Stephen Hunter fans, military novel fans
Good easy read ... plenty of action. Hunter knows his military jargon!
Elizabeth
great book. loved the characters as real people, not just super heroes
Ronald Howell
Christopher Granholm
I couldn't put the book down. Another great book from hunter.
  • The Patriots Club
  • Cauldron
  • The Protector
  • Hong Kong (Jake Grafton, #8)
  • Storming Heaven (Mark Beamon, #2)
  • Daddy
  • The Miernik Dossier (Paul Christopher #1)
  • Brokenclaw (John Gardner's Bond, #10)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)
  • The Day Trader
  • Dead Hand
  • Storming Intrepid
Stephen Hunter is the author of fourteen novels, and a chief film critic at The Washington Post, where he won the 2003 Pulitzer Prize. He lives in Baltimore, Maryland.
More about Stephen Hunter...
Point of Impact (Bob Lee Swagger, #1) Time to Hunt (Bob Lee Swagger, #3) I, Sniper (Bob Lee Swagger, #6) Black Light (Bob Lee Swagger, #2) Dirty White Boys