Start by marking “The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of African-American Literary Criticism” as Want to Read:
The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of African-American Literary Criticism

The Signifying Monkey: A Theory of African-American Literary Criticism

Henry Louis Gates, Jr.'s original, groundbreaking study explores the relationship between the African and African-American vernacular traditions and black literature, elaborating a new critical approach located within this tradition that allows the black voice to speak for itself.
Examining the ancient poetry and myths found in African, Latin American, and Caribbean cultur
Published December 14th 1989 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Signifying Monkey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Signifying Monkey

Mark Bowles
Aug 30, 2014 Mark Bowles rated it really liked it
B. The Black English vernacular is not disappearing. In fact it is going its own way. This separate development reflects the larger social picture of segregated speech communities. Within this black vernacular the black person has encoded private, yet communal cultural rituals. This book explores the relationship between the black vernacular tradition and the African-American literary tradition. He wants to be a critic that uses black theory to understand black literature. Thus, he tries to defi ...more
Christy
The central idea that Henry Louis Gates, Jr., provides in this text is to be found in his analysis of black literature's emphasis on and use of Signification. Signifyin(g) is a technique that essentially amounts to repetition with a crucial difference, a way of commenting on other writers and their ideas through various sorts of parody and pastiche. This idea sheds new light on the seeming repetition in some black artists' work and on the literary evolution of black writers. Frequently accused o ...more
Ryan
Oct 01, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it
I read a select few essays from this book junior year in college, but recently felt the urge to finish it in its entirety. Wow, stunning clarity, compelling arguments, and a vast array of knowledgeable texts. HLG definitely reshaped a few lenses here.
Angie
Jul 15, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing
Major Field Prep: 52/133
Henry Louis Gates’s text, The Signifying Monkey, responds to the perseverance of black vernacular in the African American literary tradition. Gates “attempts to identify a theory of criticism that is inscribed within the black vernacular tradition and that in turn informs the shape of the Afro-American literary tradition” (xix). Signifying, repetition and revision, and the trope of voicing and doubling, is the main point of analysis. He begins with a history and discussio
Andrew
It's impossible to understate the influence of Skip Gates on the American humanities. He kind of established what the African-American canon was, and then had enough clout to get it taught in schools. You can't make it through a freshman lit seminar without reading Olaudah Equiano, Phyllis Wheatley, and Zora Neale Hurston, and we can thank Mr. Gates for that. But a whole lot more people namecheck him than actually read him... I'm pretty sure the vast majority of pundits, scholars, and commentato ...more
Becka
Sep 28, 2008 Becka rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: English Grad Students
So, as difficult as this highly technical piece of literary criticism was to get through, I found it extremely fascinating. Now, as I sit in grad class and we discuss aspects of African-American writings, I feel that much more educated and "clued in" to various tropes and contexts! Plus, this has proved to be an awesome resource for further research I have been doing. Three cheers for the Signifying Monkey!
Matt
Dec 14, 2013 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school
Fascinating. An alternative canon, and an introduction to the historical and sociological complexities in the emergence of a new type of literature. If you're a student and you're looking at any African-American literature or any trickster stories, this is a Must Read.
Nevin Holness
Dec 30, 2015 Nevin Holness rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Next time someone tries me about all my shit-talking, I'm gonna direct them to this book.
Ednisha Riley
Jan 26, 2016 Ednisha Riley rated it it was amazing
i remember my teacher introducing us to this book..."Skip" she called him ... i remember when I said to my uncles to "stop signifyin" and the look on their faces that I knew what it meant :)
UptownSinclair
Mar 16, 2008 UptownSinclair rated it really liked it
invaluable literary criticism.
Tyera
Jun 05, 2009 Tyera rated it really liked it
i have found the signifyin' concept to come up a lot, since reading this book.
Julie Bowerman
Apr 14, 2011 Julie Bowerman rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011
Fascinating literary critique that is decidedly not easy to read.
Camille Alexander
Jun 07, 2014 Camille Alexander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. Fills in historical and literary gaps regarding African American culture.
Laura Cole
Laura Cole rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2013
Lfrench
Lfrench rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2014
Bret Zawilski
Bret Zawilski rated it liked it
Jan 01, 2014
Roxanne
Roxanne rated it it was ok
Jul 31, 2012
Melissa Prescott
Melissa Prescott rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2013
Laretta
Laretta rated it it was ok
Jan 04, 2013
Danielle
Danielle rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2013
A
A rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2012
Pauline McGonagle
Pauline McGonagle rated it liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Carmen Lanos
Carmen Lanos rated it really liked it
May 31, 2016
Deborah Klein
Deborah Klein rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Steve
Steve rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2010
S.
S. rated it it was amazing
Mar 27, 2016
Chris Clark
Chris Clark rated it really liked it
Nov 25, 2016
Elliott Souder
Elliott Souder rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was ok
Mar 15, 2015
Tosin Gbogi
Tosin Gbogi rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013
African American History 1 2 Nov 18, 2015 03:04PM
  • Black Culture and Black Consciousness: Afro-American Folk Thought from Slavery to Freedom
  • The Cross of Redemption: Uncollected Writings
  • Philadelphia Fire
  • Sara Baartman and the Hottentot Venus: A Ghost Story and a Biography
  • PowerNomics : The National Plan to Empower Black America
  • Home: Social Essays
  • Black Indians: A Hidden Heritage
  • Joy of Reading
  • Is Marriage for White People?: How the African American Marriage Decline Affects Everyone
  • Capitalism & Slavery
  • African Holistic Health
  • Fail Up: 20 Lessons on Building Success from Failure
  • Magic City
  • Take Back the Land: Land, Gentrification & the Umoja Village Shantytown
  • A Grammar of Motives
  • The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: The Powerful True Story of a Twentieth-Century Plantation Slave
  • Hip Hop Matters: Politics, Pop Culture, and the Struggle for the Soul of a Movement
  • Why I Hate Abercrombie and Fitch: Essays on Race and Sexuality
Henry Louis Gates Jr. is a Professor of African and African-American Studies at Harvard University and Director of the W. E. B. Du Bois Institute for African and African American Research. He is well-known as a literary critic, an editor of literature, and a proponent of black literature and black cultural studies.
More about Henry Louis Gates Jr....