Start by marking “The Secret Garden: And A Little Princess (Classic Library Compendium)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Garden: And A Little Princess (Classic Library Compendium)

The Secret Garden: And A Little Princess (Classic Library Compendium)

4.39  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,361 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
This volume contains two of Francis Hodgson Burnett's best loved stories. Each novel is illustrated with colour plates and line drawings.
Published July 25th 2010 by Not Avail (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Garden

Wintermint
Jan 23, 2011 Wintermint rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished reading a little princess, and it was a finaminal book. It is about a girl who looses her father (Captin Crewe) and has to go from being treated like a princess, to being treated like a scullery maid. I suggest it to all poeple who love to read and just eat up books as fast as they get them.
Wintermint
Priscilla

One of my most beloved novels. The Secret Garden has the first real great female character of children literature: Mary Lennox. She is the first heroin girl is realy human described with hard-temper, opinion. She is the garden: sick, alone, almost dead, forgoten by men/adult people. The lonely and sad girl grows with the garden and became a better person learning with nature and real friendship be a person for the first tim since she born one decade before.

Reminds me Charles dickens... as Pip, S
Ms Always Write
Jul 27, 2014 Ms Always Write rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, Young Adults, Adults
Not many books that I've read and reread, but this one is definitely one of them! One of the first books I read when I was growing up and for sure one of the more memorable ones. There are so many movie versions of the book as well, but you definitely can't go wrong with this one:

The book is simple, clean, and easy to read, but it's very easy to love the characters and the book. I would definitely recommend this to anyone, young or old. A classic and one of my
Momoko Fujigaki
Nov 10, 2014 Momoko Fujigaki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1.Oxford Level 3
2.11/6=25min, 7=45min, 10=20min
3.Mary,Yorkshire, Martha, Garden, Dickon, Crying, Father
4.a)It was the loveliest, most exciting place she had ever seen.
b) Mary talked everything crossly, and she was disagreeable girl at first. However, after coming to Yorkshire, she became a kind girl and said such a word! I like her changing!
5.Mary was disagreeable, but finally she helped a boy and his father's mind. I really like this story.
Angela Liao
Jun 12, 2013 Angela Liao rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 10th-grade
In my opinion I thought this was an average book. The plot and characters were interesting. One of the reasons I didn't enjoy reading this book was because of the way the dialogues were written. The book wasn't written in modern English--which made it difficult for a reader to understand. This book reminded me of the process of reading Romeo and Juliet.
As I am reading this book I didn't feel it was right for others to treat Mary that way. They say she isn't as pretty as her mother, but they ne
Angiie Marie
Jan 11, 2015 Angiie Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The film adaptation of this book is one of my favourites and the book also is amazing and just as good. It was one of the very few books I took to university as it means a lot to me and I have read throughout my childhood, teenage years and still today (I'm 21 in two months) HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMEND.
Quonnetta
a little garden is a good book.it is about a gurl and her father they were rich. her father had to go to work he worked at the diamond minds. so she had to go to this school that you live in. because she was rich she got everything she wanted she had a person that does everything for her.the person that owned the school did not like her because she got everything she wanted. she got everything she wanted because her father paid for it they had alot of money.then her father died and she was soo p ...more
Shalaka
Sep 22, 2015 Shalaka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the book. Took me staright to my childhood. What the author does to keep the magic and mystery on in this made-for-children-but-aill-be-loved-by-adults book is beyond words.
Ashley
Jan 21, 2016 Ashley marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
NC
Own in paperback.

FS: "Mary Lennox was a sour little girl."

LS: "Everything she had hoped for them had at last come true."
Michelle Vasquez
One of my most found reads as a child. A classic treasure and still dear to me. I will read it again in my adult hood.
Kristin
Jan 19, 2016 Kristin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had so many good feelings about reading this book.
I enjoyed it alot, brings back great memories of my childhood.
Desiree
Oct 19, 2015 Desiree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I prefer A Little Princess and all the talk of magic honestly bothered me, but it's still a classic.
Erliah Chandra
Jan 02, 2015 Erliah Chandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a very light entertainment :)
Iczel
Jun 02, 2014 Iczel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was such a great book.
Caitlyn
Nov 28, 2015 Caitlyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Both of these books are super great and I love them both!
Sally
Aug 23, 2008 Sally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a girl that is born stubborn and a garden that shows the true meaning of friendship. And soon the stubborn that is in her went away. Read this book to know more what a little secret garden could do to this girl and her future.
Sandy
May 20, 2008 Sandy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandy by: those who like old fashoned fairy stories
I really liked the these two stories. I really enjoy fairy stories with lots of magical things happening in them. And these were a couple of old-timey classics. A nice book to read while sitting on my chaise lounge in my own secret garden....
Rebecca (everyday reader)
Sep 13, 2010 Rebecca (everyday reader) rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
A little girl makes new friends in England and introduces a crippled boy to a life he didn't know he could have...A little girl goes to an all-girls school when her father is shipped off to war, and learns lessons on being rich and poor.
Alex
May 28, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was little, I had the double sided dvd for these books and I loved them so much, but when I found out they were books, I made it my mission ot read them both. Love the books, incredible amazing!!!
Tara
Aug 22, 2010 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an okay read for me. I am not a huge fan of classics. I am glad that I read the book and enjoyed the fact that the kids were allowed to be kids. I liked the message of the book.
Teresa
Aug 21, 2013 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another good book read as a child.
I would give this book to any young reader.
The author is so descriptive, you can really find yourself in the garden.
Amy
Oct 30, 2013 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think that the movies are much better than the books. Maybe because I watched or because that i saw the movies before I read the books.. I do not know...
Amanda
A good book that I enjoyed as a child. I remember reading both of these stories as a child and crying while watching the movie adaptations.
Kami
Feb 28, 2012 Kami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this movie. The book is good, but deviated from the movie quite a bit. It threw me off. I didn't expect that. It's a great story though.
Rachel Elverd
Mar 05, 2014 Rachel Elverd rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favourite childhood books and still readable as an adult. My children have also read so we are all talking about it. love, love, love.
Renee
Oct 09, 2012 Renee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My Mum read 'The Secret Garden' & 'A Little Princess' over and over again to me as a little girl, so it has a certain sentimental value...
Khantey Lim
Mar 23, 2015 Khantey Lim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, easy-reading, relaxed, fast moving, just reading for an hour and you finish it with a smile on your face.
Ging Gimper
I agree with the author that if you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.
So adorable... :)
Annee  'The Book Lizard'
A Must Read
I was 13 when I read this book. I was utterly enchanted. I will never forget this book.
Wendy
Mar 10, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We recently read this as a family and I enjoyed it just as much as my kids! We are excited to plant a garden now!
  • The Encyclopedia of Mythology: Classical, Celtic, Norse
  • Swan Lake
  • Akiak: A Tale From the Iditarod
  • Arrival (Strangers of Paragor, #1)
  • Anthony Adverse
  • Dawn: The Return of the Goddess
  • New Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology
  • Silver Princess, Golden Knight
  • Balarama: A Royal Elephant
  • The Loves of Charles II (Stuart Saga, #2-4)
  • Bizenghast, Volume 7 (Bizenghast, #7)
  • The Pink Motel
2041
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup ...more
More about Frances Hodgson Burnett...