The Secret Garden: And A Little Princess (Classic Library Compendium)

The Secret Garden: And A Little Princess (Classic Library Compendium)

4.36 of 5 stars 4.36  ·  rating details  ·  928 ratings  ·  35 reviews
This volume contains two of Francis Hodgson Burnett's best loved stories. Each novel is illustrated with colour plates and line drawings.
Published July 25th 2010 by Not Avail (first published 1911)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Garden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Garden

Wintermint
I just finished reading a little princess, and it was a finaminal book. It is about a girl who looses her father (Captin Crewe) and has to go from being treated like a princess, to being treated like a scullery maid. I suggest it to all poeple who love to read and just eat up books as fast as they get them.
Wintermint
Ms Always Write
Jul 27, 2014 Ms Always Write rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children, Young Adults, Adults
Not many books that I've read and reread, but this one is definitely one of them! One of the first books I read when I was growing up and for sure one of the more memorable ones. There are so many movie versions of the book as well, but you definitely can't go wrong with this one:

The book is simple, clean, and easy to read, but it's very easy to love the characters and the book. I would definitely recommend this to anyone, young or old. A classic and one of my...more
Angela Liao
In my opinion I thought this was an average book. The plot and characters were interesting. One of the reasons I didn't enjoy reading this book was because of the way the dialogues were written. The book wasn't written in modern English--which made it difficult for a reader to understand. This book reminded me of the process of reading Romeo and Juliet.
As I am reading this book I didn't feel it was right for others to treat Mary that way. They say she isn't as pretty as her mother, but they ne...more
Quonnetta
a little garden is a good book.it is about a gurl and her father they were rich. her father had to go to work he worked at the diamond minds. so she had to go to this school that you live in. because she was rich she got everything she wanted she had a person that does everything for her.the person that owned the school did not like her because she got everything she wanted. she got everything she wanted because her father paid for it they had alot of money.then her father died and she was soo p...more
Iczel
This was such a great book.
Sally
This book is about a girl that is born stubborn and a garden that shows the true meaning of friendship. And soon the stubborn that is in her went away. Read this book to know more what a little secret garden could do to this girl and her future.
Sandy
May 20, 2008 Sandy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sandy by: those who like old fashoned fairy stories
I really liked the these two stories. I really enjoy fairy stories with lots of magical things happening in them. And these were a couple of old-timey classics. A nice book to read while sitting on my chaise lounge in my own secret garden....
Rebecca (everyday reader)
A little girl makes new friends in England and introduces a crippled boy to a life he didn't know he could have...A little girl goes to an all-girls school when her father is shipped off to war, and learns lessons on being rich and poor.
Alex
When I was little, I had the double sided dvd for these books and I loved them so much, but when I found out they were books, I made it my mission ot read them both. Love the books, incredible amazing!!!
Tara
It was an okay read for me. I am not a huge fan of classics. I am glad that I read the book and enjoyed the fact that the kids were allowed to be kids. I liked the message of the book.
Teresa
Another good book read as a child.
I would give this book to any young reader.
The author is so descriptive, you can really find yourself in the garden.
Aimee
I think that the movies are much better than the books. Maybe because I watched or because that i saw the movies before I read the books.. I do not know...
Kami
I love this movie. The book is good, but deviated from the movie quite a bit. It threw me off. I didn't expect that. It's a great story though.
Rachel Elverd
My favourite childhood books and still readable as an adult. My children have also read so we are all talking about it. love, love, love.
Renee
My Mum read 'The Secret Garden' & 'A Little Princess' over and over again to me as a little girl, so it has a certain sentimental value...
Ging Gimper
I agree with the author that if you look the right way, you can see that the whole world is a garden.
So adorable... :)
Wendy
We recently read this as a family and I enjoyed it just as much as my kids! We are excited to plant a garden now!
cute write it never fails
it is so boring at the begining but when you really get in to the book it is a little interesting
Andelyne
I love kid lit -this is truly one of those magical books I can't wait to read to my children.
Bookworm
Love the old books, love the old style of writing, Blyton, Hodgson and Lewis some of the best.
Heather
My all-time favorite children's books... I still read them every few years...classics
Mi_kan
Eventually,,,i lost the book and end up never finish it..
Shanna Fullmer
The little princess is one of my absolute favorites!
Miranda Rupert
A wonderful book! Read it years ago, and still love it!
Shell
2 of my favourite childhood books- loved them both.
Elizabeth
These two are one of the best classics EVER!!!
Haley
I think the little princess is better.
Annette
I really liked both these stories!
Amanda
A good book that I enjoyed as a child.
  • The Cat in the Hat the Movie!: Cooking with the Cat
  • Arrival (Strangers of Paragor, #1)
  • The Best of Lewis Carroll
  • Eleganta: A Novel of Fairykind
  • Wuthering Heights: A BabyLit  Weather Primer
  • Olivia Bean, Trivia Queen
  • The Pink Motel
  • Flower Fables
  • The Republic and Other Works
  • Rules of Passion (Greentree Sisters, #2)
  • The celebrated jumping frog, and other stories (The World's best reading)
  • Train Man: Densha Otoko, (Train-Man, #1)
  • The Monster Princess
  • Goy Crazy
  • La maldición de Odi (La Guerra de las Brujas, #3)
  • A Trail of Broken Dreams: The Gold Rush Diary of Harriet Palmer (Dear Canada)
  • Return to Labyrinth, Vol. 4
  • Land of the Burning Sands (Griffin Mage, #2)
2041
Frances Eliza Hodgson was the daughter of ironmonger Edwin Hodgson, who died three years after her birth, and his wife Eliza Boond. She was educated at The Select Seminary for Young Ladies and Gentleman until the age of fifteen, at which point the family ironmongery, then being run by her mother, failed, and the family emigrated to Knoxville, Tennessee. Here Hodgson began to write, in order to sup...more
More about Frances Hodgson Burnett...
The Secret Garden A Little Princess Little Lord Fauntleroy Sara Crewe, Or What Happened At Miss Minchin's The Lost Prince