Start by marking “Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-to-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening” as Want to Read:
Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-to-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening

Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-to-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  68 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A lively and practical guide to organic gardening from a renowned garden expert.

Annie Spiegelman's down-to-earth wit and wisdom create the perfect primer for anyone with a passion for home-grown veggies or fresh-cut flowers, no matter what their skill level, location, or resources. Includes advice on:

•Learning to worship the worm and build a compost pile

•Landscape d
Published February 23rd 2010 by Perigee Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Talking Dirt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Talking Dirt

Carly Ellen Kramer
(As posted on crowdedearthkitchen.com)

Who says Divas can’t play in the dirt?

If you fancy yourself to be the forward-thinking sort of gardener, you need to read this book. If your experience with gardening books is limited to toast dry narratives of rules and instructions, you really need to read this book. The Dirt Diva – Annie Spiegelman, that is – offers sage gardening advice in whimsical prose, injecting plenty of tongue-in-cheek humor to keep you laughing all the way from your favorite readi
Demarie
I loved the humor in this, like most others who have reviewed it. For me, the basic information she provided came at a perfect time and the bonus of her wit and straight-talking approach was very refreshing. She talks a bit about very serious things, damage being done to our planet and food supply for instance, but doesn't take herself too seriously in doing so.

I picked this up at the library, but will be purchasing it for myself.
Janet
Easy read because she has a great sense of humor. Loved how she discussed edibles and flowers, but started off emphasizing the importance of enriching the soil in order to succeed as a gardener. Good recommendations of plants throughout the book plus other gardening resources. I wished there were more pictures, and in color while reading it on my iPad.
Aleah
Annie Spiegelman is a California Master Gardener and a proponent of organic gardening. I really enjoyed her tone in this book, light-hearted and witty. Much of the content is very basic introduction to the concept of organic gardening. I was pleased to find out I knew much of it already: embrace green manure crops, never underestimate the power of compost and mulch, and for goodness sake use a soaker hose. Got it! At the end of each chapter Annie also recommends a plant, giving each a whaa-whaa ...more
Kristen Nolan
I LOVED this book. I admittedly know nearly nothing about gardening. Spiegelman has a delightfully casual voice and is obviously very knowledgable and enthusiastic about gardening, saying such things as, "If you can't find one, call me and I'll let you use mine." The whole book is well-organized. I was looking for tips and basics for planting my edible garden this spring/summer, but I read the entire thing (fruit tree tips, rose garden advice, etc) because every phrase is pithy, witty, and just ...more
Lisa Geddes
IMO she didnt seem to know what she was talking about
Brian
Dec 29, 2014 Brian rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Brian by: bb123organic@gmail.com
Shelves: food-agriculture
While the author is entertaining, the way that the book is laid out is jumpy and quirky. Written primarily for urban readers, the book takes a pretty casual approach that makes the experience less threatening for beginning gardeners. As the title suggests, purists might take exception. Some of the science is a bit inaccurate or poetic license.
Emily
I don't know the first thing about gardening and this book is a perfect place to start. It is simple and clear, as well as entertaining. It's just what I needed to start my Gardening 101. Good as both a handy reference book to refer to as you go or as a cover to cover read.
Lisa
Jun 16, 2011 Lisa rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: gardening friends
Shelves: gardening
This is a very enjoyable read about organic gardening. Her writing style is fun yet she manages to get the information presented in a easy to digest format. This is one gardening book that you can read cover to cover.
William
A good all-around gardening book written in an entertaining style.

My favorite chapter was the one on dirt, or soil as the purists call it.

I would particularly recommend this book for beginners.
Lisa
Motivated me to garden again. Easy to understand concepts. The result of her information is my beautiful vegetable garden this year!
Maureen
If you love gardening this is a cute book full of fun anecdotes. It made me want to become a master gardener.
Dan Meier
Great book! It's great for beginners. I wish it was around when I started gardening!
Peggy
Humorous, earthy approach to organic gardening...not for sissies!
Zan Sterling
Zan Sterling marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Little Britches
Little Britches marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Anne Ford
Anne Ford is currently reading it
Mar 08, 2015
Luz
Luz marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Shea Puskas
Shea Puskas marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Chris Allen
Chris Allen marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Annie's Garden Journal: Reflections on Roses, Weeds, Men, and Life Talking Dirt: The Dirt Diva's Down-To-Earth Guide to Organic Gardening Growing Seasons: Half-baked Garden Tips, Cheap Advice about Marriage and Questionable Theories on Motherhood Dear Jack-- I'll Be with You When the Sky is Full of Colors