The Buenos Aires Broken Hearts Club

The Buenos Aires Broken Hearts Club

3.43 of 5 stars 3.43  ·  rating details  ·  888 ratings  ·  111 reviews
28-year-old Cassie Moore has always played it safe, living
life according to a meticulously organized Master
Plan. But when she loses her Perfect Job and finds her
fiancé in bed with his ex on the same day, it's clear that
The Plan has failed her. She awakens the next day from
a drunken stupor to discover that she's booked herself
on a six-month trip to Buenos Aires. She speaks...more
Published May 29th 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published May 26th 2003)

Kristi
I needed something light and easy between more substantial reads and this did the trick. It's quite humorous, although the plot leaves much to be desired. The main character is a bit silly and completely oblivious at times. She kept talking herself into stuff and I just wanted to scream at her and slap her straight! But it's a fun, mindless, quick, easy read. Overall, pretty enjoyable.
Robin Marie
This is a fun book for me. It's not particularly enlightening but I knew all the sights and bars and cafes, even when the author didn't name them. It made me ache to visit Argentina again. Buenos Aires will forever be a second home to me! It didn't make me smarter, but it did make me more grateful for the opportunity I had, and it made me wish I'd taken better advantage of it!
Sara
This was a fun summer read (in the range of confessions of a shopaholic). I especially enjoyed it since I've learned a lot about argrentine customs over the last few years and so many were in there. I was only in Buenos Aires for a day, but am looking forward to going back and seeing more.
Stephanie Bermudez
I bought this because I love the spanish culture and my husband happens to be hispanic as well. I knew the love interest in this book would be oozing with that latin sex appeal and I was hoping to learn more about Argentina as it sounds like a wonderfully exotic place I would love to visit! I too love how cassie just ups and decides after getting dumped by her fiancee that she is just going to hop on a plane and spend months recuperating in a foreign country (even if she was drunk when she booke...more
Stephanie DaSilva
I originally bought this book for my sister, who went through a huge break-up, just like the character in this book. Except, she found out her boyfriend was cheating on her through facebook. I was hoping this book would give her something to occupy her mind while cheering her up. Little over a year, I've finally had the chance to read the book. To my surprise i did a wonderful job picking this book out for her. The characters are witty, and it's a complete book about break-ups. After i was finis...more
Lissa
Reviewed by Lissa Staley
Posted May 16, 2007

Romance Chick-Lit

In one single terrible day, predictable and organized Cassie Moore is let go from her job producing content for a website and comes home to find her fiancé in bed with his lover in their shared apartment. Cassie is a woman with a plan, or "The Plan" as her best friend disparagingly refers to her well-organized life goals. Suddenly Cassie has no job, no fiancé, no apartment, no plan. She checks herself into a nice hotel, gets very drun...more
Kim
After her whole world seemingly crashes down around her, Cassie does the logical thing and gets blistering drunk! When she comes to again, she realizes that, in her drunken stupor, she has made travel arrangements for a six month trip to Buenos Airies. Being somewhat OCD in nature, Cassie does nothing without consideration, including mapping out her entire life plan. Realizing that her plan has failed her, Cassie embarks on what turns out to be a life-changing extended vacation, without a single...more
Rebecca
I don't know why I had such a hard time with this book. It's chick-lit! It takes place in an international setting (albit, one I haven't been to for a change)! I think the thing I had a hard time with in this book is that that author spent way to much time with internal dialogue and description rather then actual dialogue. This book was a little bit like my last favorite chick-lit book I read a few months ago from Harmel and actual a mix of another book of hers as well. The protag looses her job...more
Rachel
This book is perfect for anyone who needs their literature to "lighten up" a bit.
For the past year or so, I've been reading books varying in depth, but all of them seemed to depress me, or feel like I was reading a textbook.
This book made me feel like I was sitting under an umbrella on the beach with my toes in the sand. I'm not usually one for chick-lit, not only because it is shallow and has absolutely no depth, but also because it usually follows the same route of:

-Young womans life falls ap...more
Carolee
Entertaining "chick-lit" with an international flair. 20 something Cassie lived by a "plan" that she meticulously wrote out and checked off but, all in one day she loses her job, walks in on her finance in bed with his x-girlfriend,and therefore loses her place to live. In her immature state she doesn't see any of this coming and promptly gets drunk with her good girlfriends and books herself a trip to Buenos Aires to heal herself. Cassie is still immature as she tries to live in a foreign count...more
Dec 22, 2007 Sarah rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: People looking for a feel good weekend read
I am not a big chick lit type but I am a sucker for any book that has a locale to which I have never been in the title. Is that shallow?

Anyway, this was a nice book. It was not too deep and it's theme was that the best things are often unexpected and that you ahve to be open to the unexpected but it did give soem Buenos Aires atmosphere which I enjoyed. I don't know how accurate it was but I enjoyed it anyway.

I do know that it was very light on the history and political situation of Argentina i...more
Caira
I enjoyed this book because it helps the reader realize that although certain life events may make you feel like your life is over there is usually a happy ending ahead that you have yet to discover. The best part is that it gives this message in the sweetest way! I loved the descriptions of Buenos Aires and I find myself longing to visit... (I wonder if the exchange rate is really that strongly in the benefit of the US Dollar).. and find my own adventures. The main character felt like someone I...more
Diana
What an enjoyable piece of light-hearted, happy ever after romance! I cannot even rank it on the fluff-o-meter, it was truly cute.

I can live without Ms. Morrison's travel tips, but the story is lovely and the underlying message important for everyone. The past influences you, your family impacts all your relationships and you need to be aware of these things in order to transcend the issues that cause angst.

Cassie's issue of planning and expectations aside, being prepared to explore a path that...more
Jessica
Jul 25, 2009 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jessica by: Jenn Sanchez
I haven't read a book just for the fun of it in what seems like ages. One day, a few weeks ago, Dave and I were heading out to the pool and I figured I should take something to read so as not to get bored. I grabbed this one from my nightstand, and I'm so glad I did. It was fun, funny, cute, and just the brain candy I was looking for. I would totally recommend it! So...who wants to read it next? A couple of the pages are kind of wrinkly from pool water. I was just too impatient to wait for my ha...more
Coralie
This wasn't a great book. The main character was really self absorbed. At the beginning of the book, she lost her job and her fiance in the same week, and you as a reader actually feel sorry for her and hope she makes some decisions to turn her life around. She sells her engagement ring and decides to go to Buenbos Aires for several months. Unfortunately, the decision she makes is to treat people in Buenos Aires the way she was treated in America. She is so popular, and attracts so many good loo...more
Michelle
There were aspects of this book that I didn't like, but they actually enhanced the story. I mean, Cassie was a bit too willing to sleep with people for my taste, but she absolutely grew up throughout the story, and who doesn't want to move to a foreign country and have a little fun? Plus, I couldn't wait to see what happened next, and had to stop myself from looking ahead multiple times (though I have to admit that I may not have stopped myself every time). Overall, I have to say I really enjoye...more
Genevieve
Sliding Doors meets Pride and Prejudice meet Bridget Jones meets Eat Pray Love...in the most unoriginal way possible. Picked the book up because I've got a jonesin' to travel soon and was in Buenos Aires a year ago. It definitely made me long to visit the city again, and a story about someone my age living abroad is always fun. And the romance in the book, as much as I wanted to resist, did end up being a bit swoon-worthy. But all in all I'd really only recommend this to someone traveling to Arg...more
Sara
a truly frivolous, but fun read. i have to say, though, i'm having a harder time reading "chicklit" books, because i generally can't stand the main characters! they all seem so whiny, codependent, and incredibly pathetic (at least, in the beginning). but i guess that's the point? i need to try harder in suspending my disbelief/disgust when reading these books.

not a whole lot to say about the book. it adheres to the "chicklit" guilty pleasure formula. if you need a quick beach read, this is a goo...more
M a y a
This is a top-notch chick-lit in my opinion. Has all the fun elements of romantic comedy + travel stories from Buenos Aires.

The beginning is a bit overdone: the girl gets fired and finds her boyfriend cheating on her on the same day (hello, Sliding Doors). The next part is more unique: she has this OCD "plan" for her life so she is totally thrown off track. So she gets drunk and books a 6-month trip to Buenos Aires. The book is about her adventures there, which are chronicled in a blog she star...more
Alison
What a fun read! A better one, I might say, in the chic-lit genre. I love that it takes place in Buenos Aires, since I once lived there myself, and I feel that the author describes this city perfectly. I didn't quite relate to the protagonist and her life of "plans" but eventually I came to see that we all live with sometimes overly rigid plans and so I ended up appreciating the message. If you like travel literature or contemporary romances, this is a good one to read.
Kristina
an entertaining, if not predictable, "lost everything but found myself" kinda story. except this one is set to a latin backdrop. it does make one long to drop everything and move to an exotic land to meet new and way hotter people. although in real life im sure i would end up in some dank alley in paris with only mangy and rabid cats for friends. i suppose thats why books are written. so we can vicariously experience that which we are too afraid to do ourselves.
Kaisha
Absolutely loved this book and could not put it down. The story of a woman who lives her life planned out and then has it completely turned upside down is incredibly entertaining and easy to relate to for women everywhere. It shows how life is unpredictable and you can't, and shouldn't, live it according to what you think is best for you. Loss of love, life, and security, mixed with finding who you really are, this is definitely a must read.
Helen
Mar 27, 2008 Helen rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: recently single people, anyone looking for a good easy read
Recommended to Helen by: sister
I really like this book. It took a few chapter to get into it, but I am really enjoyed it. Its the perfect book for any person (male or female) dealing with a break-up (hence why I am reading it). It's almost like I am reading a story of how I am feeling, except it takes place in Argentina. I love the ending. Usually when I read books like this they depress me, but this one wasn't so bad. It ended nicel, but it could have been a bit more juicy.
Cathi95
(Fiction, ChickLit 2007) Getting drunk after losing her job and breaking her engagement ends with Cassie alone in buenos Aires for six months to change her life. I really like the way she slowly begins to get herself out of her funk and start to live. The people around her are entertaining and enjoyable. Made me want to grab a ticket and head for South America! (But I'd rather take my husband along).
English
Unless you have had your heart broken, lived in Seattle, visited Buenos Aires or wished for a sabbatical in a faraway land I do not recommend reading this book. If you have, you might enjoy this fluffy read. It is extremely predictable, but told in a cute, self-deprecating, funny way. It is very au-courant with the protagonist's blog having a major role in the story. Fun poolside reading.
Meg - A Bookish Affair
Cassie's life is going to her carefully laid out plan until she loses her job and catches her fiance cheating on her with his ex. On a whim, Cassie goes against all of her careful planning and books a plane ticket to Buenos Aires, Argentina. She plans to stay for 6 months to plan her new life or leave her meticulous planning ways behind and simply live. This is a very fluffy but cute book.
Jill
Omg, so awesomely bad. You will hate the main character, Cassie. She's obsessed with staying with "the plan" for her life. The plot is preposterous. The only thing that made it awesome is that my three girlfriends and I all read it together when we went to Buenos Aires and then made fun of it. I would DEFINITELY recommend it if you're in a similar scenario.
Julia
This book is like candy corn- you can go through it in one sitting but it doesnt make you feel good necessarily afterward. You can tell whats going to happen from the first chapter, and the main character is braindead. I only really liked it because she talks about how much she wants to live in a building like that from Singles (really) when she moved to seattle.
Tammy
The protagonist had a penchant for planning her life that I couldn't relate very well to, but I could really identify with how someone looks like a perfect match for you "on paper" but that the "spark" just isn't there in real life. I also liked how the author made her fail at some things but be successful when it was something that mattered to her.
Julia
Fine example of summer beach reading. Cassie has a Plan with a capital P and everything goes awry. This leads to a six month vacation in Buenos Aires where she doesn't know Spanish, doesn't know anyone and doesn't believe she'll become the ringleader of a weekly lonely hearts type meeting after creating a blog slamming her ex.
HAVING A LIFE PLAN : COMPULSIVE OR EFFECTIVE 1 11 May 08, 2009 08:10PM
  • Marrying Up
  • Francesca's Party
  • The Men's Guide to the Women's Bathroom
  • Bound South
  • Drop Dead Gorgeous (Cottonmouth, #3)
  • What's Yours Is Mine
  • Hungry Woman in Paris
  • The Invisible Mountain
  • A Taxonomy of Barnacles
  • If the Shoe Fits
  • How to Mellify a Corpse: and Other Human Stories of Ancient Science and Superstition
  • Belonging
  • Forecast
  • English as a Second Language
Wayne Gretzky: Greatness on Ice Eclipses [With Web Access] The White House White House with Code Saving