Start by marking “Anyone but You” as Want to Read:
Anyone but You

Anyone but You

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  178 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Critter and Jesse have been close to Seattle since her dad moved in with their mother. Closer still since he took off six years ago and Layla decided to raise Sea as one of her own. It’s a decision none of them regrets, especially not Critter. He’s more than a brother–he’s Seattle’s best friend.
Now it’s vacation, and Seattle and Critter are stoop sitters, at least until su
Published December 18th 2007 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published November 8th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Anyone but You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Anyone but You

This book was a great read! The primary focus of the book was family and the definition of family.

Seattle and Critter have been brother and sister and best friends since Seattle's father Frank left her with Critter's family six years ago. The book alternates between the viewpoint of brother and sister and addresses the feelings of all the family members as Frank returns.

It also examines the changing relationship between Seattle and Critter as their love interests change the way they feel about
Super fast read about a step brother and sister (although their parents never married) who struggle to deal with their feelings for each other when they both start dating other people. The bigger message of the book is just what makes a family and how in some ways, we can choose.
I picked the book because i was told it would be a quick read. I also picked it because it had a fascinating title and cover. The colors caught my eyes and i liked the idea that the book would be swapping between two points of view. The book is essentially about a pretty disfigured family that pulls together in times of trial and really does bond together. They have each others back no matter how mad they may be at each other. And even though they are sort of a blended family they complete each ...more
I read this book because what it says on the back about how you can choose your family. The cover was also very bright and my add attracts me to bright things. Plus it's always fun to read a book that the teacher hasn't read. Tis a rare thing to read one of their books before them.
Once I started reading it, it ended up being one of those books you just can't put down. For me I think it was because this story is told from two different points of view. One being a boy and one a girl which I though
I absolutely abhorred the main character, Seattle, and thought that her attitude should earn her a score of 0 in the romance/humanitarian department for sure. The plot was weak and somewhat confusing toward the end (a term I use most lightly, considering that in my opinion this book did not have a viable ending).

I had no problem reading it, if only for the realism of starkly mentioned boners and wet dreams, but when it got to the last page, i was really sick of the whole thing. It felt like I s
Jul 24, 2008 Cat rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers
Recommended to Cat by: nobody
I read this book judging it from the cover. I was intriqued by the bright colors and the skateboarder.
I thought it would be just another one of those 'teen drama' books.

But it really wasn't.

It really showed me how family can change your life, wheather you have one, it's broken, or if it's a mish-mashed one, like Seattle and Critter's.

It really showed me, as a teenager, that I really do need to appreciate my family more, appreciate what I have.
A small, easy, light read, that took if even three hours of my time.

It shows family, if even not biological, can be very hard to handle when growing up.
I thought it would be a little awkward to read even if in reality it's not incestuous since they are in anyway connected as sibling but the author does a good job at making the awkward lesser.

A bantery, easy to read book for someone with a bit of spare time on their hands.
Like "Two Way Street" by Lauren Barnholdt the story is written switching from Seattle & Critter's, the two main characters, pov; I really like this style and I think it really suited the book!

*not very spoilerish but still...WARNING* The not quite love story between the Sea & Critter was very sweet and since they're not blood brothers it's all right to ship madly for those two...which I do!!! Wondeful story!
Sea and Critter are not biologically related but have been raised as brother and sister. Despite the fact that psychological studies suggest that they would NEVER do this, they start to find each other attractive. Where did I read about this book and what made me take it from the library?

It was also pretty vulgar, without having any redeeming values (South Park: vulgar BUT hilarious and often clever)
Katrina Knittle
I read this book when it first came out and I still enoy it to this day. A quick and interesting read. Definitely gets you thinking about siblings who are related only by marriage and whether it would be consider incest. Definitely a plus to be about a skaterboarding. SOmething i find interesting but so hard to accomplish. A cute good read.
It was a quick read, and I always enjoy books written with more than one perspective. But there were some weird incest references in the book and I felt it was unnecessary. If I wanted incest, I'd just read V.C. Andrews!
Is having sexual feeling for someone you consider part of the family but who really isn't a sibling incestuous? One way or the other these teens are tormented by their feelings for each other.
this was amzing and sad cuse every thing falls apart and is wroung and sad in the end it canges it made me cry i luv it!!!!!
A quick read --- some of your students might enjoy reading a book about girl skate boarder.
O totally loved this easygoing book...with a skatergirl, friendships and love! <3
Very predictable. For Ages 14+
Long on drama, short on plot.
Gi_emaan marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
Zion marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2015
Haley Espinoza
Haley Espinoza marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2015
  • Badd
  • The True Meaning of Cleavage
  • The Pursuit of Happiness
  • Play Me
  • Go for the Glory (Golden Filly, #3)
  • Platinum (Golden, #2)
  • Heather (Sunfire, #23)
  • Courage in Patience: A Story of Hope for Those Who Have Endured Abuse
  • Shadow of a Doubt
  • A Young People's History of the United States, Volume 2: Class Struggle to the War On Terror
  • Corey (Sunfire, #22)
  • My First Car Was a Motorcycle, My First Girl Was a Woman
  • Victory Run: Collected Victory Run 1, 2, 3 (The Story of Victory Payne, #1, 2, 3)
Lara M. Zeises is the author of Bringing Up the Bones, a Delacorte Press Prize Honor Book (2001); Contents Under Pressure, a Delaware Blue Hen Teen Book Award winner and an IRA-CBC Young Adults' Choice (2006); and Anyone But You, a YALSA Popular Paperbacks selection (2008). Her latest novel, The Sweet Life of Stella Madison, was published in July 2009.

Lara has also published two novels under the
More about Lara M. Zeises...

“Critter: I was fairly relieved when Sea took off on her own. She was wearing some two-sizes-too-small T-shirt, practically forcing my eyes to home in on “the girls,” and all I could think was I’m going to turn into a pillar of salt.” 15 likes