Start by marking “Let the Church Say Amen” as Want to Read:
Let the Church Say Amen

Let the Church Say Amen (Say Amen #1)

4.34 of 5 stars 4.34  ·  rating details  ·  916 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Reverend Simon Jackson has always felt destined to lead, and he's done a good job of it -- having transformed his small Houston church into one of the most respected and renowned in the region. But while the good Reverend's been busy tending his flock, his family's gone astray. His nineteen-year-old daughter, Rachel, gives new meaning to "baby mama drama." David, the oldes ...more
Published November 1st 2007 by Pocket Books (first published July 27th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Let the Church Say Amen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Let the Church Say Amen

Nardsbaby Reader
No one sin is greater than the next

Simon Jackson, pastor of Zion Hill located in Houston, Texas is a regal and revered man. Well that is at church at least. His home life is complicated. He can't seem to understand his oldest son, and only daughter. He's turned them over to God. His concern now is his middle child. The one he refers to as his prodigal child. His wife has been the only woman he's been with. It wasn't like he didn't have opportunities, but he honored God. He just wished that Loret
MZURAQT
Simon Jackson ha fulfilled his dream of becoming a pastor.Tending to sheep at Zion Hill church has taken over his life that he fails to see his family has gone astray from lack of attention.

19 year old Rachel is the talk of the family,with her careless decisions and attitude she brings alot of drama to the table. With two kids all she cares about is chasing after her first love and will do nothing to stop until she gets him but little do she know that all she need was her fathers.

David the oldes
Deb
I thought this was Christian fiction but it's not, it's way too sexually explicit. The theme is not bad though, even though God doesn't solve the problems of this minister and his family, they do learn that work--even for the church--shouldn't come at the cost of neglecting the ones you love. Rev. Simon Jackson has one messed up family--a wife who's afraid to stand up to him, a son who while he looks like he has it all together is secretly gay, another son who he has written off as a drug addict ...more
Deb
i thought this was christian fiction but it's not, it's way too sexually explicit. the theme is not bad though, even though god doesn't solve the problems of this minister and his family, they do learn that work--even for the church--shouldn't come at the cost of neglecting the ones you love. rev. simon jackson has one messed up family--a wife who's afraid to stand up to him, a son who while he looks like he has it all together is secretly gay, another son who he has written off as a drug addict ...more
Barbara Morgan
Let The Church Say Amen was so good.
I can’t believe that I haven’t read this series earlier.

Reverend Samuel Jackson’s family is more dysfunctional than many. His wife is devoted to him. His oldest son David, had a promising career in the NFL but was injured and now steals to support his drug habit. Nineteen-year-old Rachel has had two babies by different fathers. Simon, is expected to become assistant pastor but he has a secret that will disappoint his father.

This was a excellent book.
I loved th
Valerie Williams
Reverend Simon Jackson has always felt destined to lead and he’s done a good job of it, transforming his small Houston church into one of the most respected and renowned in the region. But while the good Reverend’s been busy tending his flock, his family’s gone astray. His 19-year-old daughter, Rachel, gives new meaning to “baby mama drama.” Crazy in love with her son’s father, she’s wreaking havoc on the man’s life, even though he’s about to marry another. David, Simon’s oldest at 27, has been ...more
Shaunte Clemons
My biggest issue with this book is that it is shelved as Christian Fiction. Having main characters who are Christians, does not by any means make this a Christian Novel. There is one scene in particular which is too explicit for a book promoted to Christian readers. I almost abandoned the book, but decided to read a few reviews first. Once I realized the worst was over, I decided to continue reading. The writing style and story line are actually good, the characters are believable although some ...more
Melodie M
Those of you who go to church often knows that there is always some kind of scandal going on. Gossip, affairs, sticky fingered preachers. It also shines light on honest good "down home" people that keep the black church going strong.
Trailhoundz
I picked up this book at the library on a whim. Most Christian fiction I've [attempted to] read has been awful- really poorly written, bad plot, flat characters. I was pleasantly surprised with this one. It follows the pastor of an African -American church, the struggles within his family and its inevitably effect on his parish. So much Christian fiction is fluff, but this covered the realities of life including drugs, infidelity, kids having kids, etc. As some readers have mentioned, there is o ...more
Carmen Blalock
Let the Church Say Amen is the beginning of an wonderfully fantastic series by ReShonda Tate Billingsley.

Reverend Simon Jackson is the Pastor of Zion Hill Church in Houston, TX and he couldn't be more proud of the success of his church. In his time there he has increased the membership from 50 to over 900 and he has been profiled in the newspaper 26 times for accomplishments and programs at the church. Zion Hill is the perfect family for him since his own family is far from that!

Loretta Jackson
Adrienna
This is the very first book I've read by this author and definitely will not be the last. Ready for the next book in the series. The main point I took from this book is that a pastor could lead his church blindly, you have to take care of home as well as the church body (flock). This was a valuable lesson learned by Rev. Simon Jackson, and lost the person special to him to realize it. There is a passage in the Bible that speaks it is foolish not to take care of home and say you are doing the wil ...more
Pearl
I giving this 3.5 stars. I enjoyed it. It a story with a lot of church drama. Rev. Simon Jackson was a loving an dedicated pastor, he loved the church first which is why he had many, many problems with his three children. One son on drugs (David), a son confused about his identity (Jonathan) and a crazy and deranged daughter (Rachel). Just a lot of up and down unnecessary drama with Rachel. Some of the things she did was so childish and immature all in hopes to get her man back that she cheated ...more
Barbara Young
All families have problems but some families are not willing to accept the fact that they do. The bible says to judged not and the only thing we can do is pray for one another and let God handle the rest.
Kimberla Gamble
Great book. Lots of twists and turns. Fluid plot!
Tonya
I love this author's books, always well delivered! This one shows the diversity of lifestyles you can have in a single family. Now, let me go wipe my tears and find a new book to read!
Shavonna Futrell
Let the Church Say Amen started off slow at first, refusing to put it down it got better. The scene with the mother made me cry as I thought of my own mother. It is true what they say about Preachers kids, I wish I would have read this series before I read the collaboration of Rachel and Jasmine. I look forward to the rest of this series.
Robin
I really enjoyed this book. It's about a family with it's own set of problems that the father of this family just wants to turn his back to these problems instead of facing them. The weight of the family falls onto the wife who noone knows is severly ill. It brings you through their problems and then into the light.
This is a series and i can't wait to read what else this family could possibly get into or out of. They are just your average american family and they have problems like anyone else.
Dawn
I thought this was a great read. This family is truly a hot baked mess!
But I laughed, cried and got pretty pissed off during the reading of this book and to me if a book can bring out all these emotions then that is a good read! The characters all reminded me of someone and some situations I know all to well. Looking forward to more of her books.
Robbin
Somehow I missed reading this by one of my fave authors, but I'm glad I read it! As usual, it's a super-fast paced story about the drama surrounding a pastor and his docile wife, promiscuous daughter,in-the-closet son and another son who happens to be a crackhead. Very entertaining and filled with high drama. I strongly recommend.
Yolanda King Stephen
Reshonda Tate Billingsley always delivers. Let the Church Say Amen was no different. I enjoyed the church scenes and the plot of pastor's children gone wild. I never expected some of the plot twists and turns. I am not going to tell you what they are - you have to read them for yourself!

Great book and a quick read.
Grace
A tear jerker...the characters were all so real...their problems all so normal...and I enjoyed it to the hilt. It contained everything without being too graphic. It ended in a very realistic place. This is the second time I have read this book and was very impressed with this authors storytelling.
Melody Fuller
I love this book as I do all of ReShonda's books she is one of my top favorite authors to read. This book had me hooping and hollering, laughing and crying and I cannot wait until this movie version makes it to television screen, in the meantime I will read the sequel. Keep em coming ReShonda.
Tanya
This book is shelved with the christiian fiction. It is NOT. There is alotof sex, drugs, language, and family disfunction. The only christian thing is thebook is based on a ministers family. An ok read but not if you are looking for a`clean` book.
Deanna
Started off predictable. But turned out to be a great book. Be warned there is one very descriptive sexual scene and a small use of profanity. Overall this is a great book. I loved it. I believe there are 2 more in the series and I can’t wait to get them.
Sherry
What a great book. That Simon got on my nerves. Check it out if you have not read the series before.
Elaine Snoddy
First time reading Billingsley. Very good novel. Four stars only because of some of the foul language and a sexual scene that I would not put in a Christian fiction genre. I think it hit on some great themes
Emily Moore
What a great novel! It has a crack addict, a dramatic baby mama, and a man questioning his sexuality. And all three are the children of a minister in a church. It was quite entertaining and funny!
Adam
whattttttttttttttttttttttt a book read this years ago one of my fav hope they are still makeing a movie to this book i have not read the other 3 i plan to read them this year
Iona Sawyer
Truly an uplifting story. It had me to look at my past challenges and present ones and remember all things are possible w/ our father even in the craziest times.
Lisa Murray
African American Christian fiction with preacher & disintegrating family as center…more graphic than anticipated, fairly predictable otherwise
  • A Sin and a Shame
  • Have a Little Faith
  • Second Sunday
  • Blessed Trinity
  • A Preacher's Passion (Hallelujah Love #3)
ReShonda Tate Billingsley is a general assignment reporter for KRIV-TV, the Fox affiliate in Houston, Texas. She is the author of the nonfiction book Help! I've Turned Into My Mother! and three previous adult novels: My Brother's Keeper, for which she received the prestigious Gold Pen Award for Best New Author from the Black Writer's Alliance and the Nova Lee Nation Award from the Greater Dallas W ...more
More about ReShonda Tate Billingsley...
I Know I've Been Changed Everybody Say Amen Can I Get a Witness? The Secret She Kept The Devil is a Lie