Start by marking “Don't Spill the Beans!” as Want to Read:
Don't Spill the Beans!

Don't Spill the Beans!

Bear's got a secret.

What could it be?

Could it have something to do with you?
Published February 23rd 2010 by Greenwillow Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Spill the Beans!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Spill the Beans!

Mari
Even though there is not a whole lot to this story, there are a couple of reasons that make me just itch to share this in storytime.

First:
I LOVE the picture of bear tipped over and trying to hold in his secret! So totally spot on for the intended age group. My kids couldn't EVER keep secrets when they were in the 3-6 year range. You could almost see the secret bouncing around inside them, wanting to get out. I think the kids I read this to will totally relate and be captivated by this little bea
Danielle
Oct 07, 2015 Danielle rated it really liked it
The last page is "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" -which i didn't see coming! A great book to share with anyone on their birthday!
Bridget R. Wilson
Bear has a secret and he tells all his friends. Everyone except you. What could this secret be? Why wouldn't he tell you? Could it be...a surprise for you?

What I thought: How nice to see all the animals from Read It, Don't Eat It! again. This book is a delight from the illustrations to the surprise. The colors are just right and Schoenherr once again makes good use of white space. I love the use of synonyms and cliches. This would be a good book for teaching elementary students about those conce
Casandria
Aug 12, 2016 Casandria rated it really liked it
Bear lets his friends know about a special surprise
Birthday
Scottsdale Public Library
Keeping a secret's especially hard to do when...
~ Monty K.
Laura Haske
Aug 01, 2014 Laura Haske rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Full of idioms but not much action.
Treasure
Mar 12, 2010 Treasure rated it liked it
The characters from Read it, Don't eat it! return, this time with a big secret! Can bear keep the secret or will he spill the beans? Of course, he spills the secret, which is to wish the reader a happy birthday. While very cute and fun, it seems pretty niche to me-- would a kid still enjoy this book when it isn't near their birthday? Will parents want to endure the "when is my birthday" question a million times every time they read this?
Shanaria
Apr 12, 2013 Shanaria rated it really liked it
Shelves: celebrations
I enjoyed this book it showed how to build suspense in my opinion.I like how the bear couldn't keep the secret he just had to tell someone. And to me this shows kids no matter what you may have to tell someone about the secret and that it OK to do so.

Make a birthday banner as a class and hang it up and then take each child's picture with them holding the date of their birthday and make a birthday calender on a wall in the class room
Heidi-Marie
Good pictures. Fun rhyming. Funny to see how the bear keeps a secret. Best part was "Leak it to Beaver!" I still laugh! I think a preschool crowd will enjoy the story, as long as what the secret is doesn't get confusing to them. Perhaps if I do a theme on that, then they will be all right with it.
Amanda
Jun 15, 2010 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-s-books
My 4 yr old son read this first with Daddy and his introduction to me was that it was funny. It goes through the list of idioms related to telling/keeping a secret before the big reveal at the end. It is cute and simple and he loved it.
Gwen the Librarian
Oct 14, 2010 Gwen the Librarian rated it it was ok
Shelves: picturebooks
I’m a big fan of Schoenherr’s gorgeous illustration style and look forward to each new book, but this book, which I believe is supposed to illustrate synonyms/idioms for telling a secret, doesn’t have a plot that really works for me.
Jamie
Oct 16, 2010 Jamie rated it liked it
This book is alright... The illustrations are lackluster. They are basically a character with a white background. It's a good story about secrets or surprises. Also, it's a birthday book. I've just seen better.
Destinee Sutton
A lot of fun rhymes and plays on words, my favorite being "leak it to beaver." I like the the big text and the clear illustrations. A great book for a big story time audience, even if it's no one's birthday.
Jackie
A happy birthday book in rhyme. Bear tries hard to keep a birthday secret, until he just about busts.

Used for "Bears" Storytime: October, 2011.
May 14, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
It's a birthday book! Perfect for a special storytime with a birthday kid, but not everyday programming
Kristin
Mar 11, 2010 Kristin rated it liked it
Cute. Sweet. Good book for encouraging the early literacy skill of vocabulary. Is it spectacular? No...
The Library Lady
Mar 20, 2010 The Library Lady rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Nice rhymes. Nice on a birthday. But what kid is going to want to read this on any other day of the year?
Erin
A cute birthday book. Not as good as Read It, Don't Eat It, which I LOVE!
Sherri
Aug 02, 2010 Sherri rated it really liked it
Print awareness, phonological awareness,grat for younger storytime.
Janey
Jun 02, 2013 Janey rated it really liked it
Guess I'm a sucker for dense, candy-colored illustrations.
John
May 06, 2010 John added it
Another good storytime book for 3-5 yr olds!
Tina Bartholoma
Apr 17, 2010 Tina Bartholoma rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
birthdays, secrets, bears, forest animals
Kayla
May 30, 2012 Kayla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-books
Lol, my kids and I loved, loved, loved it!
Valerie
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2016
Annie
Annie marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2016